• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stargate: Origins Announced at SDCC

kurahador

This feels more like an attempt to advertise the streaming service. Will support though just so I can see more Stargate.

Star Trek might be able to pull off a streaming service

But fucking Stargate? I love the show but not enough for a monthly recurring charge

Even CBS knows to not do just a trek app, it's all of CBS you get ahold of.

Stargate didn't have that huge of a fan base, and it's been off the air for a long time now.... they really think this is going to succeed?

Arment

Saw the title. Hype ensued. Is this about the ancients? The beginning of the Stargate system? Niiiiice!

...a prequel, focusing on Catherine Langford...

Oh.

Scirrocco

Are we really certain the gate won't open? I mean their not afraid to retcon stuff. I mean, Ra being the last of his kind was a key plot point for the first movie, didn't stop them from going "Nope, there a actually a ton of them."

I'm guessing they get the gate up, explore a little, then Thor's people show up and go "not yet humans" and make them all forget somehow.

Saw the title. Hype ensued. Is this about the ancients? The beginning of the Stargate system? Niiiiice!

...a prequel, focusing on Catherine Langford...

Oh.

Like, I'd even take a series about the original rebellion against Ra, as that still leaves open some degree of actually using the stargate.

Lautaro

PSDxRBP.gif

What is this obsession with prequels? Star Trek and now this? Whats next, Babylon 4?
I actually woundnt mind a series focusing on B4 and
Valen

jdstorm

Banned
Honestly it sort of feels like a Tidal type situation where MGM are creating a "Stargate Streaming Service" in hopes that it gets bought out by a bigger player for a tidy profit after monetising the hardcore fans of the property.

DBT85

Are we really certain the gate won't open? I mean their not afraid to retcon stuff. I mean, Ra being the last of his kind was a key plot point for the first movie, didn't stop them from going "Nope, there a actually a ton of them."

I'm guessing they get the gate up, explore a little, then Thor's people show up and go "not yet humans" and make them all forget somehow.

How much have they reconned from the TV show canon though? Quite a few bits changed from the film to make the TV show work at all.

Lautaro

If they wanted to make a prequel, they had an entire galaxy filled with Goa'uld and opressed humans to make new stories.

tumblr_inline_oljfw073wj1qmrla4_500.gif

Scirrocco

How much have they reconned from the TV show canon though? Quite a few bits changed from the film to make the TV show work at all.

Been a while d nce I watched the show , by off the top of my head... Jack was having weird continuing dreams of being some random guy for years and just never mentioned it until they meet?

He'll theyve even retcinned the gate not opening before, with her boyfriend going through that one time and not coming back.

Gallbaro

Banned
If they wanted to make a prequel, they had an entire galaxy filled with Goa'uld and opressed humans to make new stories.

This screams like it is more an MBA pitched new distribution "concept" and they are using a beloved but forgotten series to try and build it.

Averon

Bullshit. If anything, the list of "shit you can't do because canon" would be way more restrictive for a prequel.

Especially in this case since the gate cannot even be opened if they stick to Stargate cannon. That immediately cuts off a lot of potential storytelling right off the bat.

How cool would it have been to see the origin of the Tok'ra? Or the beginning of the System Lords? There were so many other options!

Still, I'm trying to remain optimistic. Maybe they'll see the outcry over this and realize "Oh there are definitely people out there hungry for more actual Stargate stories." And they could easily make a show that you could watch without knowing anything about the original. Gonna keep my eye on this.

A streaming service dedicated solely to Stargate...

I've already been grumbling about every channel wanting a piece of Netflix and Amazon's pies taking us right back to the days of cable channel piecemealing, and here's fucking Stargate trying that shit all on its lonesome.

Good god. And here I thought CBS was up its own ass. Hard pass.

Lautaro

How cool would it have been to see the origin of the Tok'ra? Or the beginning of the System Lords? There were so many other options!

It would be great and if its hard to sell to the executives, you could just say "we are making sci fi Game of Thrones with alien system lords and slaves and shit".

I don't feel optimistic though, they couldn't give a decent ending to Atlantis nor Universe. The people in charge of these decisions have no respect for the franchise. Better let it rest in peace.

Wag

Dumbest idea ever.

I'm rewatching all of Stargate now. Most of the fans have already seen the all the shows a number of times- probably on DVD, Hulu, Netflix (when it was on), etc.

Why would anyone pay for this?

Lynd7

Yeah I'm struggling to care about the events of a prequel about a pulpy sci-fi story that I enjoyed because of characters that didn't even exist in the prequels.

No O'Neal or Teal'c, no watchy.

A Teal'c mini series about his time as First Prime might have been alright.

I wonder if someone at MGM thinks that somehow they will get some gamer attention from the Assassin's Creed Origins game coming out this year, also set in (ancient) Egypt.

I mean, ancient egypt woulda been awesome... 120 minute movie of Ra lording it over egyptians, them getting sick of his shit and tossing his ass through the stargate and closing it up. I think one of the SG1 movies actually dipped into it with a time travel story but hell, just write around that.

Watching young Kathleen (which doesn't even make sense... wasn't she like 10 years old?) watch her dad dig up a stargate is not that interesting. I guess they could have her mom travel through it and have adventures, but that is some serious retcon bullshit given that we know her impact will be absolutely zero and Kathleen will end up with no knowledge of anything.

Cipherr

Yeah. This is ridiculous.. Langford? Cmon man her and Earnest got plenty enough story time in that episode dedicated to them, and in There but for the Grace of God when we got to see the alternate timeline Langford.

I don't understand how any of this could really even be entertaining. They aren't going to figure out how to open the fucking gate in Langfords story except for with Earnest and she wasn't TOLD about it, so how can it happen in this series at ALL without major retcons?

So a SG series without the gate being used? What is it? Just a drama about them digging it up at Giza?

FML man I can't fucking deal. I love this show's universe but they have been fucking up since Atlantis. I don't understand.

Edit: Oh god, 10 mins and 10 episodes of course... Theres no way there would be enough material for something actually substantial. Just kill me now.

Akiraptor

What is it with the obsession in the film/TV industry with prequels? First Star Trek can't figure out that by and large people want to see what's next in the story, not what happened when Kirk was around (or prior to him), and now this.

Alastor3

I really don't understand all the negativity to this news, it's canon, it's Stargate, and it's a self containt story.

I'll watch it, hopefully it'll generate enough interest that we'll eventually get a new full show instead of just a miniseries.

But what in the world at the Stargate Command thing?!

The early announcement of this news made me interested in rematching the show again, but I'm not sure how much I'd pay to be able to do that without commercials when I already pay for Hulu and Netflix.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
I...never wanted to know more about her. they told everything I need to know about the time they found the gate imho.
god.

I wonder how I'll be able to watch it in germany. I mean, I don't want to but as a stargate fan I've to watch it..have to show my interest in the series, right?

I really don't understand all the negativity to this news, it's canon, it's Stargate, and it's a self containt story.

stargate is about traveling to alien worlds and stuff.

Top Bottom