• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stay Cool, Kobayashi-San!: A River City Ransom Story (Switch/PS4/Xbox/Steam)

CamHostage

A new River City spin-off (first I've heard of it, though it was announced in Sept, plus there seem to be tons of them these days, after years of brand neglect) is out tomorrow.

Published and made by Arc System Works itself. This is a traditional beat-em-up, as opposed to the River City Melee games that we've seen a few of. Doesn't use RCR character sprites (figures look more like Renegade, or rather their own spindly style that really doesn't match much in the franchise.) I haven't looked at the fighting mechanics in the trailer enough to see how it plays, but it does have co-op and some shop features. Also, it's fully voiced, which is rare for Kunio-Kun games. And notably, it was created as a collaboration with Yoshihisa Kishimoto and Mokeke Sekimoto, directors on the original Renegade and River City Ransom.

Last edited:

CamHostage

Super Dodgeball

It's already exists on Neo Geo, and it is awesome.

There's also a GBA game Super Dodge Ball Advance, though it's only okay IMO.

There have been talks of Kunio-Kun Dodgeball games over the years (I think Miracle Kidz showed a prototype in the Wii days?) but it never happened, and none of the indie Dodgeball games I've played have been what I think fans are looking for.

Last edited:
It's already exists on Neo Geo, and it is awesome.

There's also a GBA game Super Dodge Ball Advance, though it's only okay IMO.

There have been talks of Kunio-Kun Dodgeball games over the years (I think Miracle Kidz showed a prototype in the Wii days?) but it never happened, and none of the indie Dodgeball games I've played have been what I think fans are looking for.

Oof, that GBA noise maker crackle. I forgot how much the GBA soundchip sucked.

Top Bottom