• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salsa

for the new page since i think its a great deal:

Friend of mine is selling a Total War Shogun 2 Steam key for 30 bucks.

Lower than the last sale right?

PM if interested!

Aselith

LovingSteam said:
BTW, take it for what it is but EA customer support agent said she doesn't expect Battlefield 3 nor Mass Effect to arrive on Steam. That they will be exclusive to Origin as will others.

It's always a good idea to make it harder for people to buy your game. Fucking idiots.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Aselith said:
It's always a good idea to make it harder for people to buy your game. Fucking idiots.
I can kind of understand with Battlefield 3, considering their plan to boost Origin. However, Mass Effect 3 is probably the most bound-together trilogy that has ever been. To tell people they will need to get the third installment from a different service than they got the first two would be completely absurd. Nothing would send a clearer message that they don't give a shit about me as a customer.

kuroshiki said:
But buying from EA origin is not as hard as you might think. It's actually same as Steam....

except Steam is the preferred platform, consolidated and a reputable service. putting something in the hands of EA will just cause us problems

Aselith

kuroshiki said:
But buying from EA origin is not as hard as you might think. It's actually same as Steam....

It's harder in the sense that I have to now make an account for another site and set that up and download the client. It's not hard but it's hardER.

Also, I don't know how many times I can download my game with EA. They have you BUY the ability to download your game for up to a year after you buy it as it currently stands from what I understand...like, really? What year are we living in?

Aselith said:
It's harder in the sense that I have to now make an account for another site and set that up and download the client. It's not hard but it's hardER.
That's like saying it's harder to go into the neighboring bathroom stall and open the door instead of the one I normally use. It's really the same thing, honestly.

Aselith

The Broken Ska Record said:
That's like saying it's harder to go into the neighboring bathroom stall and open the door instead of the one I normally use. It's really the same thing, honestly.

It's not though.

Origin won't have the sales that Steam does almost certainly.

Origin has apparently at least some download limitations from what I found it's can't install on 3 machines within ten days which seems ok but clicking download apparently adds to this so if you have a few failed downloads or something like that, your ass is going on the phone to tech support.

Maybe lifetime download limitations, I couldn't find info saying yea or nay but I know they had it before.

Accounts can be cancelled according to this wiki I found your account can be cancelled if they consider it inactive we don't know yet if they'll act on this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Origin_(digital_distribution_platform) "However, according to EA's terms of service[7], an account may be canceled after 24 months of non-use."

I'm sure there's more bad to be found and I can't think of any good. I guess competition? But Steam already has that and better forms of it.

They may be similar on the surface but look at the company that runs Origin and the one that runs Steam and they are very, very different.

Why is no one discussing the awesome that is Spiral Knights? I initially played it for the TF2 hat but I have to admit it's charming as hell, love the cartooniness of it all.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Damn. New Vegas crashes on start up. I expected bugs, of course, but I can't even get into the fucking game lawl.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Question, I was looking in Tools and I found Red Orch 41-45. It doesn't say anything else... So do I like own the game now?

Aselith said:
It's not though.

Origin won't have the sales that Steam does almost certainly.

Origin has apparently at least some download limitations from what I found it's can't install on 3 machines within ten days which seems ok but clicking download apparently adds to this so if you have a few failed downloads or something like that, your ass is going on the phone to tech support.

Maybe lifetime download limitations, I couldn't find info saying yea or nay but I know they had it before.

Accounts can be cancelled according to this wiki I found your account can be cancelled if they consider it inactive we don't know yet if they'll act on this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Origin_(digital_distribution_platform) "However, according to EA's terms of service[7], an account may be canceled after 24 months of non-use."

I'm sure there's more bad to be found and I can't think of any good. I guess competition? But Steam already has that and better forms of it.

They may be similar on the surface but look at the company that runs Origin and the one that runs Steam and they are very, very different.
The Steam Sales are merely an added bonus. A bonus, which I might add, are basically available on other DD platforms. D2D, Gamersgate and even formerly EADM have all had sales at one point or another. Granted they aren't anywhere near as often as Steam, but saying they don't happen is silly.

As for download limitations, that does suck, but we don't really know the reliability of their service. Hell, I've downloaded one thing from them, Burnout Paradise, and had no issues. So calling "failed downloads" into the discussion is more of a "what if" scenario that may not happen regularly. I agree that the download limitations are a bit sketchy, but the service is new so who knows. At least EA is giving people the option to download the game multiple times, sometimes D2D and Impulse will only allow you to download a digital item ONCE, unless you pay a $4-5 fee on top of your purchase.

The inactive account thing may just as well be a clause that they can enact if they need to, which doesn't necessarily mean they will. Again, you're going for a "what if" scenario that we aren't sure will happen.

I'm not saying that Origin will be the next Steam, but dismissing it at this stage is silly. It's just another digital delivery system. That's all.

shintoki said:
Question, I was looking in Tools and I found Red Orch 41-45. It doesn't say anything else... So do I like own the game now?
Nah. Those are shown on everyone's Tools list, I believe. I have the Homefront Dedicated Server in my list and I don't own it.

Aselith

The Broken Ska Record said:
The Steam Sales are merely an added bonus. A bonus, which I might add, are basically available on other DD platforms. D2D, Gamersgate and even formerly EADM have all had sales at one point or another. Granted they aren't anywhere near as often as Steam, but saying they don't happen is silly.

As for download limitations, that does suck, but we don't really know the reliability of their service. Hell, I've downloaded one thing from them, Burnout Paradise, and had no issues. So calling "failed downloads" into the discussion is more of a "what if" scenario that may not happen regularly. I agree that the download limitations are a bit sketchy, but the service is new so who knows. At least EA is giving people the option to download the game multiple times, sometimes D2D and Impulse will only allow you to download a digital item ONCE, unless you pay a $4-5 fee on top of your purchase.

The inactive account thing may just as well be a clause that they can enact if they need to, which doesn't necessarily mean they will. Again, you're going for a "what if" scenario that we aren't sure will happen.

I'm not saying that Origin will be the next Steam, but dismissing it at this stage is silly. It's just another digital delivery system. That's all.

Nah. Those are shown on everyone's Tools list, I believe. I have the Homefront Dedicated Server in my list and I don't own it.

What games? I've purchased a handful of stuff from Impulse and never had an issues of that nature.

Also, the fact that EA would put that in there at all is ridiculous. EA thinks they might not be able to handle storing account information at some point? Preposterous. What a massive drain on resources account information must be lol. Gotta be like 1MB per person. No way they can handle that amount of data.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
At least EA is giving people the option to download the game multiple times, sometimes D2D and Impulse will only allow you to download a digital item ONCE, unless you pay a $4-5 fee on top of your purchase.

Not true at D2D.

D2D's Download Protection helps put those worries to rest! D2D allows you to re-download your digital game purchases at no cost. So every time you download from D2D you'll get a great game and peace of mind.

Hmm, I haven't really followed D2D in a while. It was true when I got STALKER from there about a year ago. So I stand corrected there. As for Impulse, I was probably thinking about GameStop's DD service and got the two confused.

Wow Fallout: New Vegas is awesome so far. I've only been playing it for a bit less than two hours but so far its everything I'd imagine a 3D Fallout to be.

Is Fallout 3 similar to this? I was turned off by it as it seemed to be Oblivion with guns.

vocab

Flying_Phoenix said:
Is Fallout 3 similar to this? I was turned off by it as it seemed to be Oblivion with guns.

It's more or less the same game. Never played NV, but some people say it is better than FO3.

Fo3 is a buggy mess with an awful storyline, and a pretty mundane world. It's not a bad game, but I see no reason to play it if you have NV.

Flying_Phoenix said:
Wow Fallout: New Vegas is awesome so far. I've only been playing it for a bit less than two hours but so far its everything I'd imagine a 3D Fallout to be.

Fallout 3 is similar, but the setting of New Vegas and the story and the characters are so much more interesting. So...yeah you're playing the best 3D shooter iteration of the series.

TheBez

How long is Cat and the Coup? It seems very interesting but if it takes a large time sink I'd want to hold off until I clear more of my backlog.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Flying_Phoenix said:

It's mechanically similar but the story, quest design, world design, RPG subsystems, combat, loot, and well every thing you can possibly think of is worse.

Oreoleo

Sinatar said:
It's mechanically similar but the story, quest design, world design, RPG subsystems, combat, loot, and well every thing you can possibly think of is worse.

Your post is a little vague. Are you saying NV is worse, or Fallout 3?

Fredescu

F3 has grander set pieces if you're into that. It generally tries to be a bit more cinematic in it's key moments.

Trying to be neutral here, but I much preferred FNV.

biocat

24FrameDaVinci said:
Why is no one discussing the awesome that is Spiral Knights? I initially played it for the TF2 hat but I have to admit it's charming as hell, love the cartooniness of it all.
I was thinking of trying it out but it's not available here in Japan. Are the F2P games giftable at all? Sucks that I can't try out a free game because of my IP. It's probably because someone else owns the publishing rights here.

Morokh

Sinatar said:

Everything not bolded is a step up (even if I don't like it the way it is) but the world design in F03 is much better in every way.

Lime

F:NV is the overall better game and a better RPG.

The only thing F3 does better is the world/architecture/landscape.

Sober

Flying_Phoenix said:

I haven't played enough of FO1 or 2 to make an educated comparison, but from what I have read (crazy people's rantings):

FO3 is exactly "Oblivion with guns"; i.e. it's very Oblivion-y in the sense that you can explore many locations without prior need and still enjoy it thoroughly. There is a main storyline but it's more to frame the setting and the reason you are in an open environment to explore at your leisure. It's also very stereotypically 50's Americana (which I love) but I think lacks focus in the actual setting and is rather divorced from much of the established lore by Black Isle.

FNV on the other hand, is exactly like FO1 and 2 in the sense that there is a story you can follow to completion, in-depth side quests along the way and such. If you try to wander about and explore, it doesn't seem as satisfying but most of the locations on the map have a purpose or quest associated with them that instead grants you a purpose to visit it. I actually played FNV very much more FO3 like but I disagree in that aspect because they did a pretty good job with background material in alot of the locations (H&H Tools, Sarsparilla Bottling Plant, REPCONN HQ -- examples of locations with quests but I didn't do them with the quest attained or in mind) that you can still try to recreate what happened in that spot with the information given (emails, placement of bodies, environmental cues).

Also, people complain about the "cowboyishness" of the game but I think it's a nice departure from the heavily 50's Americana of FO3, plus it fits the setting of the Mojave as a sort of frontiersman/wild west-revisited sort of theme, seeing as the game takes place as NCR expansion is moving eastward into Nevada and Vegas where civilization still wasn't touched before the war. So why was everyone expecting similar types of environments as FO3? It's just as bleak and desolate, just in a different way. Sure, it's probably more fun scaling a ruined pre-war skyscraper but FNV's setting is still interesting to explore when you consider it's not your stereotypical post-apocalyptic wasteland (which FO3 was probably going for).

Also, you can go from zero to godlike in FO3 in a matter of 15 levels and combat in that game is pretty lame in comparison to FNV.

Erasus

If anyone is thinking about getting K&L2:Dog Days I recommend it. I got it during the christmas sale and its a really solid 3rd person shooter with some unique visuals.

I'll have to wait until Steam drops NV that low seeing as how D2D doesn't want my money.

As far as crazy sales go they're giving Steam a run for their money lately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom