• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 2 - Bad Rats Daily Deal for next 6 months

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salsa

Here's what's in the indie bundles for each day, spoilered in case people would rather wait and be surprised:

Indie Bundle Day 1 -
The Baconing, EDGE, Anomaly Warzone Earth, Cave Story +, Lone Survivor
Indie Bundle Day 2 -
Universe Sandbox, E.Y.E, Oil Rush, Botanicula, Splice
Indie Bundle Day 3 -
Braid, Bit Trip Bat, Runespell Overture, Bunch of Heroes, Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet
Indie Bundle Day 4 -
Atom Zombie Smasher, Sanctum, Blocks That Matter, Sword and Sowrcery (& soundtrack), A Valley Without Wind
Indie Bundle Day 5 -
Audiosurf, Greed Corp, Gemini Rue, The Tiny Bang Story, Ys: The Oath in Felghana
Indie Bundle Day 6 -
DEFCON, Awesome, SpaceChem, TRAUMA, Ticket to Ride
Indie Bundle Day 7 -
Zombie Driver, Dungeons of Dredmor, Vessel, Avadon: The Black Fortress, QUBE
Indie Bundle Day 8 -
Wings of Prey, Hoard, Swords and Soldiers, Demolition Inc, Sol Exodus
Indie Bundle Day 9 -
Zeno Clash, VVVVVV, Revenge of the Titans, Jamestown, Capsized
Indie Bundle Day 10 -
Machinarium, Eufloria, Beat Hazard, Bit Trip Runner, All Zombies Must Die
Indie Bundle Day 11 -
World of Goo, Star Ruler, Hydrophobia, Orion, Waveform

the ones I want are all distributed in bundles where I already own everything else, as always, and as intended.

GAAAAAAAABEEEEEEEE

khaaaan1.png

Might double-dip on Avadon since I got rid of my iPad. I've been enjoying Avernum:Escape from the Pit tremendously.. getting that for $3 is such a steal.

Have any of yall double dipped on seperate versions of HL Portal HL2 and TF2 with the Orange Box? Was thinking of just getting the Orange Box just to have it lol Though I already have the games :D

Salsa

Was thinking of just getting the Orange Box just to have it lol Though I already have the games :D

I'll send you a pm with my paypal adress so you can send me the money instead of doing that stupid, stupid thing.

The Orange Box is not a separate item in your games list.

kswiston

Yesterday I asked people if Binary Domain was legitimately good, or just hyped on GAF because it was a Japanese take on Gears of War. In reply, Amazon Tony offered to buy me the game if I agreed to play it and post my thoughts by Saturday. Living up to my end of the bargain here are my thoughts (Single Player Campaign only):

Comments on the PC port - Overall, this game ran well on my PC. I have an older Phenom II X4 945, with a GTX560 and 8GB of RAM, but was able to get a solid 60FPS (with no drops that I noticed) at maxed settings. The graphics options are a little bare. You can set your FOV, choose FXAA or MLAA, and a few other options but that is about it. You can only change these options in the game's configuration tool, and cannot tweak anything in-game.

I started the game using KBM but hated the default keymapping and decided to switch to a 360 pad instead. If you are set on using KBM, you are going to want to change your mapping ASAP. I play PC games from my couch on my 37" TV. While the subtitles are nice and clear from the 8 foot distance I play from, the key prompts use a different font that is hard to read. What is more annoying is that, after switching to a 360 pad, the prompts still referred to KBM keys. I am not sure if this would have been different if I fiddled around in the configuration tool. Either way, it doesn't take long to figure out that Space = A, Q = Y and so on.

Comments on the Game - This is a game that you need to give a chance before deciding whether you like it or not. I don't know what portion of the game is covered by the demo, but if it is the beginning segment, know that chapter 1 is probably the weakest part of the game. In fact, I really disliked the first 30 minutes or so. The generic robot enemies seemed lame, and Big Bo wouldn't shut up. It initially struck me as a B version of Gears with worse voice acting and graphics. However things really pick up if you make it through those first few sections.

Positives:
- Boss battles with big ass robots. Miss boss fights in your shooters? This game has like 10 of them, including a few that are absolutely massive. The boss fights were by far the best part of this game. Furthermore all of them are unique and none are reused. How you take them out also depends on the boss. Some can be defeated using your regular weapons. Some require you to use the environment, and at least one is fought from the back of a moving truck during a chase sequence.

- The shooting. You carry 4 weapons in this game. Your main weapon which is an assault rifle, a side arm, and two open slots for a third gun and a grenade that you pick up from enemies as you go. Your main weapon is upgradable through in game item vending machines. All of the weapons fun to play with, but your main gun is especially satisfying. Once you make a few upgrades you will be tearing through enemies. You almost exclusively fight robots in this game, but you can blow off their limbs, head, and armor in satisfying sprays of sparks and shrapnel. This is a cover shooter, but the cover mechanism is mostly intuitive.

- Enemy AI. Like any shooter, regular grunt enemies will shoot from behind cover, come at you with body shields, or rush you with shotguns or melee attacks. However, since they are robots, they react to the damage you do to them. If you blow off their weapon arm, some will pick up their gun with their other hand, and others will switch to a secondary gun. If you blow off their legs, they will drag themselves towards you (like in Terminator 1), grabbing your legs in an effort to self destruct.

- The story and characters. If you like cheesy 80s/90s action movies, you will probably like this. Most of the characters are big stereotypes, but the game doesn't really take itself seriously so I didn't mind. If you ever wanted to lead an elite international squad of soldiers that include a gigantic black man (your main bro), a Chinese sniper, and a French Robot, this is your game. The plot itself is interesting enough, but like most games, the final execution could have been better. The dialogue is b-movie cheesy. One character justifies killing sentient, organic robots that are mostly non-violent, and have blended into society by saying that the world already has enough racism without adding robots to the mix.

Negatives:
- Your Squad AI. Your squad is dumb. While they can kill regular enemies fairly proficiently, expect them to crowd you at a cover point (even if there are 10 others) or run blindly into your line of fire. This is especially annoying since your teammates have a trust system, and shooting them lowers their trust score. I'm not sure if the trust score means anything, but it does unlock a few of the Steam achievements. I will mention that the game has a squad command feature that I made only light use of. It is designed around voice command using a mic (which I don't have). You can issue some basic commands from the pad (charge, regroup, cover me, and fire) but I didn't really use it much.

- Quick Time events. There are only a few, and they are pretty easy, but they were annoying because I couldn't read the key prompt (which was also for a keyboard instead of my 360 pad as mentioned above) from my couch at times.

- The game is linear. You spend most of it fighting in corridors and small rooms. There is a little exploration in some areas, but not much. If cut scenes bug you in action games, be warned that this game has a fair number of them. What's worse, the game will sometimes take control away from you (forcing you to walk slowly and stopping you from using your weapons) when a team member is giving you instructions before or after a gun fight. No reasons why the same thing couldn't have been done without the semi-loss of control. I thoroughly enjoyed the boss fights but most of them could only be beat in a specific way (sometimes using a specific weapon).

Final Verdict:
This is not the best or most polished shooter I have played this generation, but I definitely think it is worth $10. Especially if you are a big fan of boss fights and can stand (or better yet, like) B-movie stories. The game took me just under 9 hours to beat going by my chapter complete times. Even if you rushed through, this is a solid 7-8 hour game. Blowing away hordes of robots is surprisingly satisfying, and the game performs well on older, mid-range machines. The port was lazy when it comes to default key-mapping and button prompts, but those were minor nuisances. I am not a graphics person, so I can't tell you how the the textures look at higher resolutions. I didn't notice any screen tearing, or glaring graphical hitches like I did in the Mass Effect PC ports. To answer my own question, yes this is a more Japanese Gears of War, but that isn't a bad thing. Thumbs up for me.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I loaded up Binary Domain yesterday to give it a quick whirl, but the kb&m controls are utterly awful. Tab and space to answer "Yes" to a question? What. And the voice recognition option enabled itself, so initially I couldn't even respond to the question using the keyboard.

Just as well I have the X360 wireless gaming receiver.

Yesterday I asked people if Binary Domain was legitimately good, or just hyped on GAF because it was a Japanese take on Gears of War. In reply, Amazon Tony offered to buy me the game if I agreed to play it and post my thoughts by Saturday. Living up to my end of the bargain here are my thoughts (Single Player Campaign only):

Comments on the PC port - Overall, this game ran well on my PC. I have an older Phenom II X4 945, with a GTX560 and 8GB of RAM, but was able to get a solid 60FPS (with no drops that I noticed) at maxed settings. The graphics options are a little bare. You can set your FOV, choose FXAA or MLAA, and a few other options but that is about it. You can only change these options in the game's configuration tool, and cannot tweak anything in-game.

I started the game using KBM but hated the default keymapping and decided to switch to a 360 pad instead. If you are set on using KBM, you are going to want to change your mapping ASAP. I play PC games from my couch on my 37" TV. While the subtitles are nice and clear from the 8 foot distance I play from, the key prompts use a different font that is hard to read. What is more annoying is that, after switching to a 360 pad, the prompts still referred to KBM keys. I am not sure if this would have been different if I fiddled around in the configuration tool. Either way, it doesn't take long to figure out that Space = A, Q = Y and so on.

Comments on the Game - This is a game that you need to give a chance before deciding whether you like it or not. I don't know what portion of the game is covered by the demo, but if it is the beginning segment, know that chapter 1 is probably the weakest part of the game. In fact, I really disliked the first 30 minutes or so. The generic robot enemies seemed lame, and Big Bo wouldn't shut up. It initially struck me as a B version of Gears with worse voice acting and graphics. However things really pick up if you make it through those first few sections.

Positives:
- Boss battles with big ass robots. Miss boss fights in your shooters? This game has like 10 of them, including a few that are absolutely massive. The boss fights were by far the best part of this game. Furthermore all of them are unique and none are reused. How you take them out also depends on the boss. Some can be defeated using your regular weapons. Some require you to use the environment, and at least one is fought from the back of a moving truck during a chase sequence.

- The shooting. You carry 4 weapons in this game. Your main weapon which is an assault rifle, a side arm, and two open slots for a third gun and a grenade that you pick up from enemies as you go. Your main weapon is upgradable through in game item vending machines. All of the weapons fun to play with, but your main gun is especially satisfying. Once you make a few upgrades you will be tearing through enemies. You almost exclusively fight robots in this game, but you can blow off their limbs, head, and armor in satisfying sprays of sparks and shrapnel. This is a cover shooter, but the cover mechanism is mostly intuitive.

- Enemy AI. Like any shooter, regular grunt enemies will shoot from behind cover, come at you with body shields, or rush you with shotguns or melee attacks. However, since they are robots, they react to the damage you do to them. If you blow off their weapon arm, some will pick up their gun with their other hand, and others will switch to a secondary gun. If you blow off their legs, they will drag themselves towards you (like in Terminator 1), grabbing your legs in an effort to self destruct.

- The story and characters. If you like cheesy 80s/90s action movies, you will probably like this. Most of the characters are big stereotypes, but the game doesn't really take itself seriously so I didn't mind. If you ever wanted to lead an elite international squad of soldiers that include a gigantic black man (your main bro), a Chinese sniper, and a French Robot, this is your game. The plot itself is interesting enough, but like most games, the final execution could have been better. The dialogue is b-movie cheesy. One character justifies killing sentient, organic robots that are mostly non-violent, and have blended into society by saying that the world already has enough racism without adding robots to the mix.

Negatives:
- Your Squad AI. Your squad is dumb. While they can kill regular enemies fairly proficiently, expect them to crowd you at a cover point (even if there are 10 others) or run blindly into your line of fire. This is especially annoying since your teammates have a trust system, and shooting them lowers their trust score. I'm not sure if the trust score means anything, but it does unlock a few of the Steam achievements. I will mention that the game has a squad command feature that I made only light use of. It is designed around voice command using a mic (which I don't have). You can issue some basic commands from the pad (charge, regroup, cover me, and fire) but I didn't really use it much.

- Quick Time events. There are only a few, and they are pretty easy, but they were annoying because I couldn't read the key prompt (which was also for a keyboard instead of my 360 pad as mentioned above) from my couch at times.

- The game is linear. You spend most of it fighting in corridors and small rooms. There is a little exploration in some areas, but not much. If cut scenes bug you in action games, be warned that this game has a fair number of them. What's worse, the game will sometimes take control away from you (forcing you to walk slowly and stopping you from using your weapons) when a team member is giving you instructions before or after a gun fight. No reasons why the same thing couldn't have been done without the semi-loss of control. I thoroughly enjoyed the boss fights but most of them could only be beat in a specific way (sometimes using a specific weapon).

Final Verdict:
This is not the best or most polished shooter I have played this generation, but I definitely think it is worth $10. Especially if you are a big fan of boss fights and can stand (or better yet, like) B-movie stories. The game took me just under 9 hours to beat going by my chapter complete times. Even if you rushed through, this is a solid 7-8 hour game. Blowing away hordes of robots is surprisingly satisfying, and the game performs well on older, mid-range machines. The port was lazy when it comes to default key-mapping and button prompts, but those were minor nuisances. I am not a graphics person, so I can't tell you how the the textures look at higher resolutions. I didn't notice any screen tearing, or glaring graphical hitches like I did in the Mass Effect PC ports. To answer my own question, yes this is a more Japanese Gears of War, but that isn't a bad thing. Thumbs up for me.

Dude, this is a killer review and much more robust than I expected :).

Any chance I could bug you to copy/paste this into a review on Amazon's product page for the game?

This is MUCH better than many of the reviews that get left on our detail pages (good or bad) and I'd love to have it immortalized on the page.

No worries if you don't want to or think this is too much of a hassle, this just rocked, and I'd be asking you to post it even if you panned the game.

Cheers,
Tony

kswiston

Dude, this is a killer review and much more robust than I expected :).

Any chance I could bug you to copy/paste this into a review on Amazon's product page for the game?

This is MUCH better than many of the reviews that get left on our detail pages (good or bad) and I'd love to have it immortalized on the page.

No worries if you don't want to or think this is too much of a hassle, this just rocked, and I'd be asking you to post it even if you panned the game.

Cheers,
Tony

Go ahead :)

EDIT: I misread. I can post it on Amazon.

To everyone else. I said I'd buy someone else a Binary Domain key if I felt the game was worth the $10 to pay forward Tony's generosity.

To change things up a bit, the first person to quote this post AND link me a previous post of theirs that shows some interest in Binary Domain can have it. The post can be from any thread, but the time stamp has to be before the time stamp of this post.

If no one steps forward, I will just randomly select someone who was on the fence when we talked about the game in this thread yesterday.

Please let someone else have the game if you are just going to let it rot in your backlog unplayed.

Seeing that indie list, I really wonder what I'm going to buy during this sale.
Probably GalCiv II, the new Sins of a Solar Empire, Rayman and stupid stuff like Who wants to be a millionaire, Nancy Drew or Season of Mystery.

K' Dash

To everyone else. I said I'd buy someone else a Binary Domain key if I felt the game was worth the $10 to pay forward Tony's generosity.

To change things up a bit, the first person to quote this post AND link me a previous post of theirs that shows some interest in Binary Domain can have it. The post can be from any thread, but the time stamp has to be before the time stamp of this post.

If no one steps forward, I will just randomly select someone who was on the fence when we talked about the game in this thread yesterday.

Please let someone else have the game if you are just going to let it rot in your backlog unplayed.

I wanted it but I never expressed interest on this forum :(

I'd be sure to play it on my new Gaming PC if you choose me :D

kswiston

Nice review, but Tony wants YOU to copy-paste that review for Binary Domain to its Amazon page using your Amazon account. I don't think he's allowed to do that as an Amazon employee. :p

Ya, I misread it. I will edit my first paragraph and post it on Amazon as mentioned above.

EDIT: I misread. I can post it on Amazon.

I would love this.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=39510955&postcount=9757

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member

No kidding, that's a great idea! I was late this time, but I sure as hell will use this mechanic next time I'll hand out a game. Very nice :)

Sober

You can change the key button prompts in the config tool. I think I changed a key or two but it never has a prompt anyways so I can't tell if it changes ingame too for KB/M. Or you can do pad prompts.

I heard that AMD cards kinda suck at this game but not too much. I think it only really dips from 60fps during boss fights when they explode into pieces for some reason. Must be all those particles.

That being said, I am like 7 hours in and it is a pretty fun cover-based TPS with some interesting systems in place to make it more interesting. Everything feels good to shoot which is more than enough in my book. Also I love the boss fights in this game, I can't believe I don't think I've seen many boss fights in the shooter department for a while this generation, especially on PC.

kswiston

You can change the key button prompts in the config tool. I think I changed a key or two but it never has a prompt anyways so I can't tell if it changes ingame too for KB/M. Or you can do pad prompts.

I heard that AMD cards kinda suck at this game but not too much. I think it only really dips from 60fps during boss fights when they explode into pieces for some reason. Must be all those particles.

That being said, I am like 7 hours in and it is a pretty fun cover-based TPS with some interesting systems in place to make it more interesting. Everything feels good to shoot which is more than enough in my book. Also I love the boss fights in this game, I can't believe I don't think I've seen many boss fights in the shooter department for a while this generation, especially on PC.

I expected as much regarding the key prompts, but that is still an inconvenience for a game that has plug and play gamepad support. If the game can recognize that I turned my wireless 360 pad on after I launched the .exe, it should be able to switch to controller button prompts. Almost every other game manages to do so. It would be less of an issue if I could change the bindings and prompts from an in-game options menu rather than a config tool that you have to exit your game for.

Regarding the boss fights, it definitely was a change of pace. Most modern shooters have like 0-3 boss fights. They all rely on set pieces to spice things up between monster closet corridor shooting segments. This had tons of bosses bosses along with set pieces.

sazzy

Here's what's in the indie bundles for each day, spoilered in case people would rather wait and be surprised:

Indie Bundle Day 1 -
Indie Bundle Day 2 -
Indie Bundle Day 3 -
Braid, Bit Trip Bat, Runespell Overture, Bunch of Heroes, Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet
Indie Bundle Day 4 -
Atom Zombie Smasher, Sanctum, Blocks That Matter, Sword and Sowrcery (& soundtrack), A Valley Without Wind
Indie Bundle Day 5 -
Audiosurf, Greed Corp, Gemini Rue, The Tiny Bang Story, Ys: The Oath in Felghana
Indie Bundle Day 6 -
Indie Bundle Day 7 -
Indie Bundle Day 8 -
Indie Bundle Day 9 -
Indie Bundle Day 10 -
Indie Bundle Day 11 -

Day 2 is SO mine.

Deques

Indie Bundle Day 1 -
Indie Bundle Day 2 -
Indie Bundle Day 3 -
Indie Bundle Day 4 -
Indie Bundle Day 5 -
Indie Bundle Day 6 -
Indie Bundle Day 7 -
Indie Bundle Day 8 -
Indie Bundle Day 9 -
Indie Bundle Day 10 -
Indie Bundle Day 11 -

only one bundle that i don't own any games. and Y's is not in that bundle :( I hope it get a separate sale

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Indie Bundle Day 2 -
Oil Rush, Splice
Indie Bundle Day 3 -
Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet
Indie Bundle Day 4 -
A Valley Without Wind
Indie Bundle Day 5 -
Ys: The Oath in Felghana
Indie Bundle Day 6 -
Ticket to Ride
Indie Bundle Day 7 -
Zombie Driver
Indie Bundle Day 8 -
Sol Exodus
Indie Bundle Day 10 -
All Zombies Must Die
Indie Bundle Day 11 -
Star Ruler, Orion, Waveform

I hope the individual games are also marked down, as the above is all I'm missing.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Every time I see Oil Rush I think The Oil Blue and I get excited and then disappointed when I understand my mistake.
For what it's worth, I think Oil Rush is easily in the top 10 best looking RTS games ever made. Maybe even the top 5. But it is kind of overpriced at $20.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Oh, I always thought there was a quotation mark in Ys. Anyway, I hope it will get a separate sale along with Origins :p

No s in Origin either. But both games will probably have some percentage off. Oath being in a bundle probably kills any chance of either being a daily, Origin just came out like a month ago so I doubt they'll mark it down a whole lot.

MRORANGE

Hope there a Indie Hyper Mega Bundle which I can buy all the bundles in 1 pack without feeling bad for owning most of the games already.

Caerith

omg waiting for the sale to begin is like I'm a kid again and waiting for christmas :(
I wonder how many of us won't tell our kids when Christmas or their birthdays are.

Generally speaking, do midweek/weekend deals ever overlap with the summer/winter sales? Or do the seasonal sales pretty much exclusively start on Tuesdays and Thursdays?

The_End

Generally speaking, do midweek/weekend deals ever overlap with the summer/winter sales? Or do the seasonal sales pretty much exclusively start on Tuesdays and Thursdays?

Well there was a brief period as the 2011 Holiday Sale started that a sale on Dead Island overlapped with the holiday sale. I believe that they stacked the discounts for a short while so that people were able to buy the game for something like 83% off.

I'm not sure if that counts, though. Dead Island only had a few more hours to go until the sale expired. It's not like the Holiday Sale started with a couple of days still left in the Dead Island sale.

Nymerio

But you at least know when Christmas is.

Thanks for ruining my day :/

I feel kinda weird for not wanting to highlight those spoilers. Checking the daily/midweek/weekend deal is like a daily ritual and I like the surprise of discovering a new deal during the sales.

I'm such a consumer whore :(

Glass Rebel

Indie Bundle Day 2 -
Oil Rush, Splice
Indie Bundle Day 3 -
Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet
Indie Bundle Day 5 -
The Tiny Bang Story, Ys: The Oath in Felghana
Indie Bundle Day 7 -
Vessel, Avadon: The Black Fortress, QUBE
Indie Bundle Day 8 -
Wings of Prey
Indie Bundle Day 9 -
Capsized

I'm 100% certain that Valve uses their data to make these bundles as inconvenient as possible. Fuck.

but I can't dedicate time to that when I've only put 80 hours into Everyday Genius Square Logic and have only completed the first 'world' .. but it's definitely something I'd like to spend a little more time on with some mates! (Oh and that robot santa thing is something to fear AND love) :D

After you talking about how good it is I went to see if it was still in my wishlist and the page redirects to the home page, apparently it got removed.

store.steampowered.com/app/32150/

:(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom