• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread - Summer sales usually last week of June

Status
Not open for further replies.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
*Looks at his backlog*

If I didn't buy a game, I may finish it by 2015. I won't even make a goal out of it, because I rather play what I want.

Now this is after of course adding to my already enormously, childish backlog. I will be locking down my spending this year to under 300$. This seems like a better option to me than trying to force myself to play through titles prematurely when I'm not in the mood. It also adds some notion that I have to force my way through games, rather than enjoy them at my own pace. I rather go back and do a Ivo path in Witcher 2 for example and I probably will once School starts up again. Same applies to going through the Saints Row III DLC.

MRORANGE

header_292x136.jpg

Have a steam copy of Far Cry 2 up for grabs,

How to enter: draw the first thing your would do in far cry 2 in paint.

(quote the image YOU PAINTED if it's too big(800px+) or a url link would be better,) winner chosen in about 14 hours)

I dunno man, at least with Duke the combat had some really fun moments. Also I can't recommend in good conscience a game which contains progress-blocking bugs. A PC game, which contains progress-blocking bugs which you can't remove with user patches, or edit your save, or enter a console command to bypass. Just let that sink in for a moment.

Schrodinger's Game Review?

So that is going to be a big NO then. I'll stand by my statement, Fable 2 left me so dead to the series. I won't even look at it. You are right about Duke, there is fun to be had deep down in that game.

dLMN8R

Could be it. Gottamn. Oh well, at least I can look at my pretty backlog even more now.

Hrm, are you saying that you do use Steam on multiple computers and have possibly done that?

I'll try to go through those same steps and slight alterations so I can try to nail down a specific scenario.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
header_292x136.jpg

(quote the image if it's to big(800px+) or a url link would be better,) winner chosen in about 14 hours)

cgU4y.png

That's right.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
if I didn't already own the Amazon version I'd draw a picture of a guy torching a zebra with a flamethrower

goober

header_292x136.jpg

(quote the image if it's to big(800px+) or a url link would be better,) winner chosen in about 14 hours)

qdYwQ.png

edit: wow. Brazil. o_o

Blizzard

Banned
I probably already own the game but I was thinking you would be first watching the intro logos, or if you got ingame you would be sitting watching intro cutscenes.

But yes I would probably click options before I even got to the cutscenes.

Forkball

Steam has been acting so awful the past few days. I constantly have to restart it to load games. Valve is going to shit themselves when they release Dota to the general public.

Luigison

I am only showing you what I wanna play right now. o_O

mybacklogsadface.png

This isn't showing my RPG backlog. *cries*

Of those I suggest starting with some so-called casual games like:

VVVVVV
World of Goo

And when you can play:

Portal 2
Planet Vs. Zombies - often called casual, but if you are like me you'll play it hardcore.

Of those I suggest starting with some so-called casual games like:

VVVVVV
World of Goo

And when you can play:

Portal 2
Planet Vs. Zombies - often called casual, but if you are like me you'll play it hardcore.

I started playing VVVVVV and seems cool. And I got pretty damn far in PVZ and I truly enjoyed it. Thanks for your suggestion.

I was going to ask this in the PC general help thread, but I never bookmarked it and I cant find it now. Is there anything I can change or maybe a camera hack I can use to move the camera over in Batman Arkham Asylum? I don't mind games that dont have the character perfectly centered like RE4 or Dead Space, but this is ridiculous. Why did they have the character model set so far to the left?

Uriah

So I posted this problem in the tech support thread, but since the problem has to do with steam, I figured I would post it here.

I have a problem with Steam and the internet. My first problem involves steams' server browser. When I search for the servers, only a few servers show up, event though there are plenty more. Sometimes all servers do show up however. When I try to connect to the server I will usually get an error message and I can't connect. Then something bizarre happens. I am kicked off my internet and can't access the web. Pages refuse to load. It usually takes 5 minutes for things to return to normal.

Normally I bypass this problem by going to gametracker.com and find server IPs and directly connect to them using the console (connect 66.151.138.55:27015 for example). However I can't use this solution when trying to use matchmaking. Matchmaking just refuses to work at all in certain games: ie TF2. With DOTA 2 and CS:GO coming out soon I want to solve this problem. Any help would be appreciated.

I gave The Witcher another chance since now I know what I am doing. Much better now than before. I'm not really a graphics whore, but the animations are just really bad. Not bad enough to prevent me from enjoying the game.

DTKT

So I posted this problem in the tech support thread, but since the problem has to do with steam, I figured I would post it here.

I have a problem with Steam and the internet. My first problem involves steams' server browser. When I search for the servers, only a few servers show up, event though there are plenty more. Sometimes all servers do show up however. When I try to connect to the server I will usually get an error message and I can't connect. Then something bizarre happens. I am kicked off my internet and can't access the web. Pages refuse to load. It usually takes 5 minutes for things to return to normal.

Normally I bypass this problem by going to gametracker.com and find server IPs and directly connect to them using the console (connect 66.151.138.55:27015 for example). However I can't use this solution when trying to use matchmaking. Matchmaking just refuses to work at all in certain games: ie TF2. With DOTA 2 and CS:GO coming out soon I want to solve this problem. Any help would be appreciated.

We might need a bit more info.

Are you behind a router? Did you try contacting your ISP? Losing your connection is not something that should be considered "normal".

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I'm happy to report that re-downloading The Witcher 2 fixed my DLC issues.

I gave The Witcher another chance since now I know what I am doing. Much better now than before. I'm not really a graphics whore, but the animations are just really bad. Not bad enough to prevent me from enjoying the game.

I quickly grew to adore the game once I bested that initial hump. Without doubt one of the best RPGs I've ever played.

Uriah

We might need a bit more info.

Are you behind a router? Did you try contacting your ISP? Losing your connection is not something that should be considered "normal".

It doesn't just happen on my home network. It also happens when I am at school. So I think it might be a problem with my computer.

I hope GMG has Serious Sam 3 for really cheap. I regret not going for that Eurogamer deal.

THEN I'm not going to buy anything for the rest of the year. Have to stick to my resolution.

I hope GMG has Serious Sam 3 for really cheap. I regret not going for that Eurogamer deal.

THEN I'm not going to buy anything for the rest of the year. Have to stick to my resolution.

Some of us tried to get the eurogamer deal but our bank decided to be dumb :/

So you were on the list that was strictly for helping others out with regional pricing and people misunderstood that and outright begged for free games? Wow.

Basically, yes.

I'm not going to name names or anything. I'm just strictly annoyed by how relentlessly clueless and/or vehement some were that I was:

a) Unemployed
b) Willing to spend a free gift card on someone that I didn't even know; when I had every right to use that free money for myself, especially since I had an out-of-town Christmas trip to see family coming up
c) Only had a limited amount to spend

I also should probably put a sign under my username that says 'DON'T TELL YOUR FRIENDS ABOUT ME'. Because that's what people did. Told others that I was giving away free games. I refer you to points A, B, and C from the list above.

The guy that I actually gifted to was cool, but the rest were girly-men with pitiful muscles. One guy, just yesterday, asked me to buy him a $20 game and said he'd pay me back in the future. When I said that I had already gifted, they - and this is when I would have blown the fuck up at them if I were a lesser man - actually brought up that I had given away $14. As if an extra $20 were nothing to me. I refer you to points A, B, and C.

So this is me venting. Because I have been nice on Steam. I've been polite.

But this was my experience. My shitty, shitty, shitacular experience with participating in a fun holiday event.

And what happened to Xelios is complete crap, too.

Good job, people.

You don't need fucking video games that much.

Echoplx

For anyone that missed out on the Skyrim sale, I've got a 33% off Bethesda coupon you can have (Only ask for it if you're going to use it)

First to quote.

Basically, yes.

I'm not going to name names or anything. I'm just strictly annoyed by how relentlessly clueless and/or vehement some were that I was:

a) Unemployed
b) Willing to spend a free gift card on someone that I didn't even know; when I had every right to use that free money for myself, especially since I had an out-of-town Christmas trip to see family coming up
c) Only had a limited amount to spend

I also should probably put a sign under my username that says 'DON'T TELL YOUR FRIENDS ABOUT ME'. Because that's what people did. Told others that I was giving away free games. I refer you to points A, B, and C from the list above.

The guy that I actually gifted to was cool, but the rest were girly-men with pitiful muscles. One guy, just yesterday, asked me to buy him a $20 game and said he'd pay me back in the future. When I said that I had already gifted, they - and this is when I would have blown the fuck up at them if I were a lesser man - actually brought up that I had given away $14. As if an extra $20 were nothing to me. I refer you to points A, B, and C.

So this is me venting. Because I have been nice on Steam. I've been polite.

But this was my experience. My shitty, shitty, shitacular experience with participating in a fun holiday event.

And what happened to Xelios is complete crap, too.

Good job, people.

You don't need fucking video games that much.

What happened to xelios?

I didn't have any problems with gifting people games this year. Heck my Paypal has a limit of $500 of withdrawals every 30 days and I blew through that in 4 days.

I did have 1 guy who couldn't paypal money to me and wanted to buy me a game to trade in his region for the same price as the game he wanted in the U.S. store. I couldn't really do it by then but I didn't consider it a hassle. If I could have afforded it or hadn't already bought all of the games I wanted during the sale I would have done it for him. I did have 1 guy who seemed a bit put off that I had hit my limit and couldn't gift anymore, but he wasn't from here and was only a friend of someone here.

Rufus

Yeesh, some people have no shame.

Thanks to you both! Now I only have about 300 MBs to download instead of 20 GBs.

However, for some reason, Vampire uninstalled itself. Said something about changing file types, and now it's gone.
Steam client update released

- Contact email address may be easily updated from any trusted computer; no access to prior address required
- Fixed deleting/re-downloading localized game content
- Improved size calculation for small font sizes in Thai
- Fixed Steam client hitching while receiving configuration updates
- Fixed disappearing DLC for game switched to new content system
- [Mac OSX] Fixed screenshots being triggered by 'A' key when the key was unbound

Timely. Just thought I'd bring that up. That's all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom