• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread - Summer sales usually last week of June

Status
Not open for further replies.

neoism

so guys did anyone else's key for Bulletstorm not work... I put it in like 4 times, and it says its invalid. :/

Lack of jumping doesn't make a shooter like Bulletstorm bad. For one, it's not a competitive multiplayer game where you need all kinds of mobility to evade human opponents. Sure, it would have been nice to have jumping but it's not a deal breaker, the game world works fine without it. In any case, this is now moot since the deal is over.

Daily deal: Ninja Reflex 1,70€ (-66%)
0000003852.600x338.jpg

Lambda on the back of the glove?

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
I'm very tempted to finally buy Armageddon, it can't be that bad, right? I like smashing things.

I really enjoyed it. Fast action with over the top weaponry, and they all pack punch. Also it looks great, very colorful, and there's a surprisingly nice electronic score too. Only real negative is the environments felt a bit same-y at times, but it's not that bad.

I might be forgetting a game here, but of the third-person shooters I played last year, Armageddon was probably my favorite. Not Vanquish tier, but y'know.

Q8D3vil

I might be forgetting a game here, but of the third-person shooters I played last year, Armageddon was probably my favorite. Not Vanquish tier, but y'know.
i really don't get the vanquish love at all.
it was really cool for the first hour then its repetitive as fuck.
plus it almost made my eyes bleed with its motion blur.

Who do I have to annoy to get Activision to the PC Tony Hawk games on steam?!

I know the ports were fairly shite but anything would be better than nothing.

Ninja Reflex? Looks like Kinect shovelware by the trailer.

Wii game actually, published by EA on console.

Looks like Amazon has a few THQ games on sale, including Steamworks titles like RF: Armageddon, Saints Row 3 and Space Marine. I'm very tempted to finally buy Armageddon, it can't be that bad, right? I like smashing things.

Red Faction: Armageddon is totally worth 5$. I had a lot of fun with it, RF:A constantly rewards you with growing arsenal of ridiculous weapons, the destruction you can wreak is, as always, impressive although I wish it wasn't simply limited to the structures within the environment. It would've been nice to see a return to Red Faction 1's geo modding terrain destruction, oh well. The Descent-styled shooter sections are fun and you can unlock a pony (that you hold like a gun) that farts rainbows that destroys everything.

Don't touch the DLC.

I recently got a Mac with OSX Lion. I want to get Steam on this thing, but I keep getting Steam needs to be online to update all the time.

Has any other Mac user ran to this problem? I tried a method where I had to delete the Steam folder from Library/Application Support but it didn't work.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
i really don't get the vanquish love at all.
it was really cool for the first hour then its repetitive as fuck.
plus it almost made my eyes bleed with its motion blur.

Well then!

Speaking of TPS, I put in an order for Binary Domain at GMG. Hopefully this doesn't get delayed over and over.

The whole background/skybox was just 2d sprites which was jarring any time there was distance to the shots, the combat was meh because of the lack of jumping, no matter the different style of guns.

Anybody else notice that you cant jump in a lot of UE3 games? Kind of weird.

I'm very tempted to finally buy Armageddon, it can't be that bad, right? I like smashing things.
Underrated game. Features amazing tech and creative weapons. It-s good not great and a bit repetitive. Enjoyed it more than Bullet Storm which didn-t live up to PainKiller legacy.

derFeef

GCI is good fun, at least early on. Port seems competent, but I can see it being a bit unbalanced, the matchmaking could be better.

How safeproof are Amazon's digital games? I'm in the process of double-dipping all games I've purchased from Direct2Drive since it's a bad service now. The only games left to buy are Red Faction, Prey, Titan Quest, and SWAT 4 (which isn't on Steam). Should I buy Guerilla and Armageddon from Amazon now?

svegis

I recently got a Mac with OSX Lion. I want to get Steam on this thing, but I keep getting Steam needs to be online to update all the time.

Has any other Mac user ran to this problem? I tried a method where I had to delete the Steam folder from Library/Application Support but it didn't work.

I'm still running on 10.6 but, I do remember having problems with the initial setup of Steam. What kind of an error message do you get? I do recall having to do the usual Steam troubleshooting and deleting clientregistry.blob under the Steam folder in */Library/Application Support. Then I remember something about starting it in tcp instead, which was more of a terminal based solution. Blob might fix it for you, but if not, let us know.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
How safeproof are Amazon's digital games? I'm in the process of double-dipping all games I've purchased from Direct2Drive since it's a bad service now. The only games left to buy are Red Faction, Prey, Titan Quest, and SWAT 4 (which isn't on Steam). Should I buy Guerilla and Armageddon from Amazon now?

Armageddon is Steamworks, so buying it on Amazon gets you a copy on Steam.

Ledsen

CS bunny hopping!

quake, unreal tournament, painkiller, half-life, team fortress,...

Warsaw, for one. Previously mentioned Quake(s). Unreal Tournament, all that.

So basically almost exclusively competitive multiplayer games with a couple of extremely fast-paced exceptions. 99% of modern fps single player campaigns do not require/encourage any sort of jumping in combat. If you think the combat in Bulletstorm is bad because of no jumping, you must think all fps single player combat is bad.

So basically almost exclusively competitive multiplayer games with a couple of extremely fast-paced exceptions. 99% of modern fps single player campaigns do not require/encourage any sort of jumping in combat. If you think the combat in Bulletstorm is bad because of no jumping, you must think all fps single player combat is bad.

Call of Duty, Halo, Half Life 2, Bioshock, Serious Sam, FEAR, The Darkness.

I can only think of Killzone actually where you cannot jump.

Well, most modern ones are pretty bad. Serious Sam 3 is the best recent one.

svegis

I jumped a lot in Portal! I've not played Bulletstorm but a game not having jump wouldn't stop me. I'm sure it would feel weird in the start, not being able to jump over logs or whatever is in the way, but would get used to it.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
How good is Warhammer Space Marine really? I can get it for free with Amazon credit. Some nice detailed advice might halp!

kennah

How good is Warhammer Space Marine really? I can get it for free with Amazon credit. Some nice detailed advice might halp!

How much do you like blood death destruction and gore?

It's a fun short romp. I'm about a third of the way through and really enjoying it so far.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom

For the frugal Steam user, I'd say that $10 is the perfect price point. Here's the post I made after finishing it: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=30789874&postcount=2093. Check out the demo - it's pretty much all there is to it. It only does one thing: brutal third person Ork murder, but it does it quite well.

It's primarily a third person shooter, but instead of dicking around behind chest high walls, it has you charging into hordes of enemies and dicing them up with a giant chainsaw. It has an action game leaning (think God of War lite) that keeps it from feeling too similar to the billions of other TPS games out there. The combat kept me engaged for the 10 or so hours it lasted, but any longer would have been too much. It gets a bit repetitive since you're basically doing the same thing over and over again, and the combat isn't deep enough to stay fresh. The lack of variety bugged some people too, but I didn't mind it since "variety" usually means stuff like shitty vehicle segments.

So yeah, unless you hate the demo, it's definitely worth free or upwards of ten bucks if you don't have coupons.

Campaign is short, but so much fun. Exterminatus (basically a Survival/Horde mode) still seems to be pretty active. I haven't actually played deathmatch, but I would assume the same.

Zimbardo

there's a strange slow motion bug in Space Marine that the devs seem to refuse to fix.

you'll be running along normally and then all of a sudden your character will start running in slow motion/bullet time ...but the frames per second remain a constant 60fps.

really weird, and many people report having experienced it.

the devs would rather release DLC instead of fixing bugs that have been around for months. its a bit of a piss off.

Zimbardo

Is it what they would rather, or is it what THQ would rather?

i'm sure the DLC something that they both approve of.

they don't mind making the extra coin, but the support for the game is in Relic's hands and they haven't bothered to fix widespead bugs that have been a problem for months.

there's a 10 page thread on their forum talking about the slow motion bug, and they still do nothing about it.

shabby support on their part.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom