• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread - Summer sales usually last week of June

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Got the pack from C_H_T on my birthday. I was actually going to start the first one this weekend, and now seeing your endorsement I might have to start it tonight instead so I can get to the second sooner. Also Snuggler you should change your review of the game on steam to include that statement.

On that note, I wish Steam would let us edit recommendations rather than having to delete/redo them. Not a big deal, but it would make fleshing out my recommendations a bit easier. But yeah, definitely get on that dude. The first game is pretty great too, but it only gets better from there. I just hope that LucasArts gives the third game the same treatment.

Man, you guys talking about adventure games... I have 19 adventure games plus the entire sam & max series... I should get started on those...

I have about 25 and will probably never play them. I used to loved adventure games but now I just love the idea of adventure games. I buy them, play for 15 minutes and then get excited for the next one coming out.

louiedog

On that note, I wish Steam would let us edit recommendations rather than having to delete/redo them. Not a big deal, but it would make fleshing out my recommendations a bit easier. But yeah, definitely get on that dude. The first game is pretty great too, but it only gets better from there. I just hope that LucasArts gives the third game the same treatment.

It'd be nice, but since it already has voice and still looks pretty good I'd settle for them just selling it on Steam.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I have about 25 and will probably never play them. I used to loved adventure games but now I just love the idea of adventure games. I buy them, play for 15 minutes and then get excited for the next one coming out?
My issue is I'm never as cool as the character in the game. Like, I started playing Gemini Rue. The map and the camera perspective were reversed, so that was kind of annoying, then I got to where I needed to be and I was looking for this guy I was supposed to meet. The man at the desk apparently hated cops so he wouldn't tell me, assuming I wanted to rough this guy up. I was like "WTF how do you know we aren't friends?!" but my character just accepted it as the person being difficult. That kind of break between the options I'd like to handle a situation and the options available give me trouble.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I recently took a serious crack at my adventure game backlog and it made me realize that Telltale absolutely pales in comparison to OG Lucasarts and their games feel incredibly formulaic.

Tales of Monkey Island was a decent attempt at bringing the series back though I felt. It pains me we might not get another, especially with the shit TT are making these days instead...

Blizzard

Banned
I feel that adventure games should be played in an "I'm in the mood for something from my library" sense and not in a "gotta clear a backlog" sense. Otherwise one may end up going "argh why are there so many adventure games they're the new FPS I hope they all die, -5 stars".

Salsa

I didn't know they announced the contents of that bundle because no one made a thread about it, instead preferring to stick the news in that mega-thread. ;)

yeah, thought the megathread was ok at first but there should be a new thread for each one really.. its not like there isnt enough space on the forum or something

But it says racing too so I assume you get to be the pilot as well as team manager?

I don't see where it says you get to be the pilot.

■Take control of an existing racing team or create your very own team.

■Create your very own driver
■Research more than 100 new car improvements
■The new team management system is easier and more fun to use.
■Build different structures such as a wind tunnel or a fitness center
■Make your dreams come true and live a life of luxury: get a villa or even a private jet plane
■Decide on the individual training sessions of your pilots to help them improve their skills
■Rebuild your cars from scratch to improve their performance on each specific racetrack

Being the manager does sound interesting and I would be curious if anyone here had played this?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Tales of Monkey Island was a decent attempt at bringing the series back though I felt. It pains me we might not get another, especially with the shit TT are making these days instead...
Tales of Monkey Island only makes me depressed that we will probably never see something as good as the trilogy ever again.

I feel that adventure games should be played in an "I'm in the mood for something from my library" sense and not in a "gotta clear a backlog" sense. Otherwise one may end up going "argh why are there so many adventure games they're the new FPS I hope they all die, -5 stars".

Mood has zero effect on me noticing mediocre writing, bland plots, irritating voice actors (who get reused in each series, I'm looking at you mole guy from S&M), and low budget visuals on an engine that feels duck-taped together. They aren't terrible games, but they certainly aren't a very compelling argument for modern adventure games. I mean, it took Sam & Max 3 whole seasons to actually sort of break the mold and get interesting.

In comparison, a recent playthrough of Curse of Monkey Island reminded me of how goddamn mindblowing the production values are and how much better the Lucasarts teams were at crafting an interesting and funny story.

Aaron

Curse of Monkey Island is my favorite, probably because it's pretty easy and lovely to look at. Still have my CD since it doesn't seem to be on any download services.

epmode

I recently took a serious crack at my adventure game backlog and it made me realize that Telltale absolutely pales in comparison to OG Lucasarts and their games feel incredibly formulaic.
100% on point.

I was hopeful about Telltale for some time but I've given up since then.

Salsa

Well Telltale has its own thing now (TWD being the prime example of something clearly different from regular adventure games), so that's cool with me. Its obvious they are no match in regular-adventure grounds.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I don't see where it says you get to be the pilot.

■Take control of an existing racing team or create your very own team.

■Create your very own driver
■Research more than 100 new car improvements
■The new team management system is easier and more fun to use.
■Build different structures such as a wind tunnel or a fitness center
■Make your dreams come true and live a life of luxury: get a villa or even a private jet plane
■Decide on the individual training sessions of your pilots to help them improve their skills
■Rebuild your cars from scratch to improve their performance on each specific racetrack

Being the manager does sound interesting and I would be curious if anyone here had played this?
I meant it says racing in the genre. Guess it doesn't allow that then... Too bad, such a career mode would be interesting in an actual racing game, I'm not one just for managing.

I definitely agree that what TellTale is putting out is inferior to what LucasArts did, but despite that I've still enjoyed a lot of their stuff. I love the characters of Sam and Max so much that I don't know if I could hate a game their in. Same goes for Guybrush and LeChuck.

If I weren't such a big Back to the Future fan I would have been disappointed with those games. Seems like that is where they started getting away from being adventure games, at least it felt that way to me. Wallace and Gromit series is good if you're into the characters. I haven't played Jurassic Park yet despite buying it cheap during a sale. I'm interested in The Walking Dead and nervous about what will happen with King's Quest.

But, on the upside they have released the excellent Puzzle Agent games. The Hector episodes are pretty good, too, though I think the crude humor is the strongest point for them.

Salsa

they have the opportunity to really knock it out of the park with Fables, if done right..

fablesTPB4.jpg

ArjanN

For me it's not so much that, but more that I really have to adjust to the much slower pace of adventure games. (althought that's much less the case with the Walking Dead)

Especially when I've been playing a bunch of action games.

vocab

It's a point-and-click going for the Beneath a Steel Sky look. Unfortunately it has horrible voice acting so I haven't been able to play it for more than 30 minutes.

Voice acting in Gemini Rue is far better than Beneath a Steel Sky. Beneath a Steel Sky has some really wretched voices that are brutally annoying. I'm not saying Gemini Rue has some of the best because it's not, but it has its high points. The protaganist a great voice actor. Kane is played by the creator of the game (he plays Joey in Blackwell) and he can sound whiney, but that's because Kane acts like a bitch and for good reason. All the other voices are a mixed bag, but the main ones are good. Plus hearing a real life person say "Boryokudan" makes the gang sound much more bad ass.

Ive said it before but Gemini Rue is one of the best adventure games in the past 3 years, and is in the running in my top 3 cyberpunk games of all time.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
So... how about that Big Picture Mode? Isn't awesome? Oh, right, it doesn't exist, and never will. Almost two months ago they were "getting ready to ship it". Now I fear it has forever been lost in Valve Time, along with HL3. :(

Volcynika

So, from "getting ready to ship it" in early March, to not even showing it until E3 in June? Damn, I mean, this isn't some huge game they're making, it's a freaking GUI. Ok, so we all want it to turn out great, but come on. This is ridiculous.

I think you mean Valve Time.

iavi

So, from "getting ready to ship it" in early March, to not even showing it until E3 in June? Damn, I mean, this isn't some huge game they're making, it's a freaking GUI. Ok, so we all want it to turn out great, but come on. This is ridiculous.

I have the feeling it'll be part of a larger package that they're prepping, with normal apps being added to the registry and such.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I've anticipated Risen 2 for awhile, but I'll probably put tomorrow's gamez monies towards Binary Domain. I'm in more of a shootin' mood right now. Hopefully it's a decent port.

ezodagrom

I did get my key from GMG, two even (I assume the one is for DLC?). Activated as "Binary Domain Pre-order" but now it's just sitting there, despite the game being out in my region. Hmm.
You might have to restart Steam...maybe...

I'm 30 minutes away from finishing the download of Binary Domain, let's see if it's a decent port like Sonic Generations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom