• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread - Summer sales usually last week of June

Status
Not open for further replies.

Echoplx

Steam Support
We're working on some issues with inter-server communication. We should have a fix within an hour or so. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Giard

Uh, just tried to boot DOTA 2, warns me that steam can't synchronize it with the cloud and asks me if I want to play. Declined and checked my settings just in case, somehow my account's email has become unverified and security status is Unknown, offline. Tried to change my email to re-verify but steam couldn't process it. All the stuff in my inventory is ok, so I doubt I've been hacked or anything.
Steam is down on my end, except for the Store. My Friends list won't work.

edit: see above. :p

InertiaXr

I can't get ANYTHING to start up, what the fuck is Valve doing? Whenever their shitty community servers go down I am usually at least able to play my single player games I paid for......

Rufus

There's the Witcher: Director's Cut, Vampire: The Masquerade, Cogs, and Team Fortress 2.
Right, I switched Steam to Swedish (such a delightful language) and it started downloading an update for Hamilton's Great Adventure, the only game I have installed that is also in Swedish, apparently.
Now, the way it updated the files was in a separate window which also let me cancel the update. I assume that's not what you are seeing. It might just be that they are regular updates. Bloodlines for instance was apparently switched to Steam's new content delivery system. I remember someone (I think the guy with the black and white Bart Simpson avatar; don't remember your name, sorry) mentioning that in the old thread.
When was the last time you started Steam before the whole updating spree started? If you took an extended break from Steam it may just be a regular update. Don't know if there's any way to cancel those, but the Steam forums might have something on that...

No, it only shows the game once in the Downloads screen.

IMO, it's moronic that they force you to play the game in the language of your interface.

1- If original version is French or English: Play it that way
2- If original version is neither: Play it in English
3- If English is not available: Play it in French

Pretty much everyone I know does this...and they will have their 360 dashboard in French, for example.

There's the Witcher: Director's Cut, Vampire: The Masquerade, Cogs, and Team Fortress 2.

Just tried to set the Language to French in the Properties of Vampire, and yep, it's downloading 3GB as we speak.

Haven't found a way to make it stop yet. Pretty stupid.

ElRenoRaven

Steam Support
We're working on some issues with inter-server communication. We should have a fix within an hour or so. We apologize for the inconvenience.

I think it's time for some serious upgrades. The service hasn't been doing that great up time wise for awhile now.

Rufus

Just tried to set the Language to French in the Properties of Vampire, and yep, it's downloading 3GB as we speak.

Ha, never mind then. So it's updating through the regular download section, not a separate window, like what I was seeing with Hamilton's Great Adventure?

Giard

Right, I switched Steam to Swedish (such a delightful language) and it started downloading an update for Hamilton's Great Adventure, the only game I have installed that is also in Swedish, apparently.
Now, the way it updated the files was in a separate window which also let me cancel the update. I assume that's not what you are seeing. It might just be that they are regular updates. Bloodlines for instance was apparently switched to Steam's new content delivery system. I remember someone (I think the guy with the black and white Bart Simpson avatar; don't remember your name, sorry) mentioning that in the old thread.
When was the last time you started Steam before the whole updating spree started? If you took an extended break from Steam it may just be a regular update. Don't know if there's any way to cancel those, but the Steam forums might have something on that...
I always have Steam on, so there wasn't any extended period of time. Do you know how you got that separate window?
edit: yeah, it's in the regular download section.

YianGaruga said:

I didn't even change the language in Vampire's properties, I changed only Steam's interface language. And I had de-activated Vampire's auto-update, which makes this even stupider.

Ha, never mind then. So it's updating through the regular download section, not a separate window, like what I was seeing with Hamilton's Great Adventure?

Yeah, a regular update. I then changed the language back, clicked around in the properties and changed the update setting back and forth, now it's sitting at 99% and not doing anything. Currently verifying game cache.

Seems somewhat buggy.
I didn't even change the language in Vampire's properties, I changed only Steam's interface language. And I had de-activated Vampire's auto-update, which makes this even stupider.
Changing the overall language on Steam probably changes all the individual game settings too. I also had Vampire set to not auto update, but it did it anyway.
EDIT:
Got it to stop.
Do what I said above, check if the language for the game is set to english in properties, change update behaviour (I actually have it set to always keep up to date now), and then verify game chache. Worked for me.

Rufus

I always have Steam on, so there wasn't any extended period of time. Do you know how you got that separate window?
That's a mystery to me too right now. This is so weird.

Did it already switch the language in the properties to French? It switched it over automatically for me, so maybe try switching to English. Pretty sure that won't do it, but you should try anyway. edit: Nevermind, I didn't think of verifying the cache on top of that.

This is so stupid.

I enjoyed the first fear game alot. Is 3 worth it for 7 bucks? I also just realized I've never played fear 2...

Edit: And it looks like GMG is out of keys anyway... I'll just pass I think.

StuBurns

Banned
No, it only shows the game once in the Downloads screen.
I'm a little confused. You said it's 20GB, with an additional 20GB if you want the English versions back, so if you changed back to English, why isn't it just 20GB if they're only listed once?

venne

Tried to use the 33% off valve games coupon on Monday. Didn't work.

Emailed customer service and they sent me some boilerplate that said the coupon wouldn't work until the 2nd. Which was Monday, the day I attempted to use it.

Now I can't use their site to discuss the issue further because of their issues.

Aces.

I'm a little confused. You said it's 20GB, with an additional 20GB if you want the English versions back, so if you changed back to English, why isn't it just 20GB if they're only listed once?
When you change the language, it starts to download the whole game again, as an update. If you change the language back, it does not stop the update, so the theory is, that after downloading the whole french version, you'd have to download the english version again if you want to play it in english.

Emailed customer service and they sent me some boilerplate that said the coupon wouldn't work until the 2nd. Which was Monday, the day I attempted to use it.

Now I can't use their site to discuss the issue further because of their issues.

Aces.

The coupons started working on Monday AFTER the sale was over.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I can't get ANYTHING to start up, what the fuck is Valve doing? Whenever their shitty community servers go down I am usually at least able to play my single player games I paid for......

It's not the community server that's down, everything is down. I couldn't validate a game key right now because, well, the servers are down.

LQX

Aces.

Steam basically updates on West Coast time at noon. So maybe you tried it before then?

StuBurns

Banned
When you change the language, it starts to download the whole game again, as an update. If you change the language back, it does not stop the update, so the theory is, that after downloading the whole french version, you'd have to download the english version again if you want to play it in english.

That is completely fucked up. If Steam hasn't deleted them, try verifying the game data see if it stops it now it's back in English. But maybe it has deleted them and it's just registering that you haven't gained 20gb of HDD space because Steam has reserved it for your downloads or something.

That is completely fucked up. If Steam hasn't deleted them, try verifying the game data see if it stops it now it's back in English. But maybe it has deleted them and it's just registering that you haven't gained 20gb of HDD space because Steam has reserved it for your downloads or something.
As I said above, I got it to stop by doing something like that.
Steam Servers (UK) seem stuffed tonight. Have 'no connection' and friend's list is 0.
Steam Support

Hakkuei

Didn't really get an answer in the other thread...so someone please help me out!

I changed the Steam interface to French just to check out what it would look like (I'm French), and I noticed some of the games started downloading updates. Fearing they would change the games' language, I immediately switched back to English. The updates are still there, I've paused them for now.

I've pretty much confirmed that the updates are indeed the French versions of the game. It would take about 20 GB of bandwidth to download all that, and I have 50 GB monthly. Actually, add another 20 GB if I want the English versions again.

How can I stop this from happening? Is there a way to cancel the updates? I've tried restarting Steam and logging out, to no avail.
If you just resume the downloads it should be ok (at least it was for me). It will likely download a few mb again and that's it.

1-D_FTW

I enjoyed the first fear game alot. Is 3 worth it for 7 bucks? I also just realized I've never played fear 2...

Edit: And it looks like GMG is out of keys anyway... I'll just pass I think.

Exactly my situation. But aside from the occasional defender of 3, most people seem to say it sucks. This is why I passed on it for 7.50. It's a decent price, but seems like it's a shell of its original sense and not worth the time required to play it.

Giard

Got it to stop.
Do what I said above, check if the language for the game is set to english in properties, change update behaviour (I actually have it set to always keep up to date now), and then verify game chache. Worked for me.
Doesn't seem to work right now...maybe Steam needs to be up. I'll get back to you on that.
If you just resume the downloads it should be ok (at least it was for me). It will likely download a few mb again and that's it.
I didn't even try this :p
I'll do this as well.

wilflare

Space Marine is really awesome at that price. so get it if you haven't.

was hoping to get F3AR 3 at .. 5USD instead :X

I was so close to getting Space Marine during Xmas sale, then I thought I had too many games to play.

I can't pass on a price like this. BOUGHT! and on the day I upgraded my Internet to 16Mb/s!

Aaaargh, Space Marine is so cheap. But it sucks, right? I don't need it, right...!?

If you buy games when you actually want to play them, you will probably save so much money that prize doesn´t matter.

That is if you can resist the Steam meta game, which actually is kinda fun.

wilflare

I was so close to getting Space Marine during Xmas sale, then I thought I had too many games to play.

I can't pass on a price like this. BOUGHT! and on the day I upgraded my Internet to 16Mb/s!

great choice! loved the game :D
and playing it for the Winter Achievement made me like it even more :D

just go in with zero expectations, it isn't as bad as what the reviews make it out to be

I played the demo way back and it was pretty by-the-numbers. I don't have much interest in 40k, so it seemed like the game wasn't for me.

Derrick01

Banned
Did not know Space Marine has such a negative reputation. Sad days.

I thought it was just me that hated the game but everyone seems to love it for some reason. I mean it's basically mash x and y down tight linear areas for 6+ hours. It must be the setting and the warhammer universe which does nothing for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom