• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread - Summer sales usually last week of June

Status
Not open for further replies.

gdt

Bah, still can't buy Space Marine :/. I've bought from this site like 3 or 4 times without issues before.

MNC

The only thing I still hate about GMG is the (albeit less) fucked up european pricing. 12 dollars is not 11,50€.

catabarez

It's the reason I have zero intention of installing Witcher 2 until I plan on playing it. I could turn off auto-updates, but I'd still probably have to redownload most of it when I went to play anyways.

Well I got it all worked out (somehow). And you really need to give the game a chance even with this problem. It's quite amazing.

The only thing I still hate about GMG is the (albeit less) fucked up european pricing. 12 dollars is not 11,50€.

Huh? I can pay in US dollars and I live in Sweden.

EDIT: Now that I think about it; Wilflare set up an account for me. If it still works you should totally find someone US based who can set up an account for you. So worth it.

1-D_FTW

Well I got it all worked out (somehow). And you really need to give the game a chance even with this problem. It's quite amazing.

It's a backlog thing. I've got a ton of amazing games waiting to be played. I just don't want to download 20GB, then have to redownload another 20GB when I actually get around to starting it.

It's the reason I have zero intention of installing Witcher 2 until I plan on playing it. I could turn off auto-updates, but I'd still probably have to redownload most of it when I went to play anyways.

When I get around to playing it, I'm going to buy it off GoG for that very reason.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Damn, that Space Marine deal was too good to pass up even though I just bought way too many games over Christmas.

<3 Steamworks.

It's a backlog thing. I've got a ton of amazing games waiting to be played. I just don't want to download 20GB, then have to redownload another 20GB when I actually get around to starting it.

Wait Witcher 2 has 20GB of patches !!

I bought the first one out of steam in this last sale for $2(gonna play it soon), when I get around to the sequel, is it best to buy it off GOG or is Steam still ok ?

Echoplx

Long shot but I won a FEAR complete pack from the Steam Gift Pile, does anyone want to trade that for a LotR key from GMG (15$) ?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Wait Witcher 2 has 20GB of patches !!

I bought the first one out of steam in this last sale for $2(gonna play it soon), when I get around to the sequel, is it best to buy it off GOG or is Steam still ok ?

Not exactly. The game is still delivered via Steam's old content distribution system, and the patches update files in (far, far) larger archives. So, what should be, say, a 20MB update becomes several gig as Steam isn't able to simply update the files as they exist in the archive; rather, it has to download the entire archive again in its updated form.

You won't have to go through this process when downloading the game, however, as Steam will ensure you download the most current version (v2.01, IIRC). It's only a problem when you have the game installed and an update is released.

Actually, this may be why CDPR haven't sent Valve a fix for the Steam overlay issue - they're waiting for the game content to move over to the new system, so any future patches will simply update the necessary files and no longer force users to download entire archives.

Ledsen

Huh? I can pay in US dollars and I live in Sweden.

EDIT: Now that I think about it; Wilflare set up an account for me. If it still works you should totally find someone US based who can set up an account for you. So worth it.

No Sweden and a few other countries pay in $, because GMG are awesome.

gdt

Again, if anyone would be so nice as to purchase Space Marine for me, I'd paypal you the funds before hand. Just need the key, after all.

Edit: Goddamit, still can't buy it! What the fuuuuuuck.

Just played the Trine 2 demo and wow that game is so good!

First thing I though afterwards: Can't wait until it's on sale for the first time.

So yeah, Steam.

Tomodachi

Again, if anyone would be so nice as to purchase Space Marine for me, I'd paypal you the funds before hand. Just need the key, after all.

Edit: Goddamit, still can't buy it! What the fuuuuuuck.
I can help, but I'm not sure if I can buy it in dollars, the website automatically shows me euros.

gdt

I can help, but I'm not sure if I can buy it in dollars, the website automatically shows me euros.

Seems to be a region free key, so if it's the same price on your end, I guess it's okay? I dunno, haven't paypal'd someone outside of the US, I dont think.

Tomodachi

The euro price comes out to 15ish$
Yeah.
ltrnu.png

You might want to look for US-Gaf maybe, no problem for me though if you want to proceed nonetheless.

Turfster

No problem at all, good luck :)

That's weird. Is it because I get rebounded to the co.uk website? Even though I see prices in € and not in £... weirder and weirder.

I think if you're in one of the mainland European countries that touch the sea, you pay more. Seems that way anyway.

Firebrand

Is it worth getting Space Marines for the co-op stuff? The singleplayer demo was kinda boring, but co-op makes everything better.

Does greenmangaming still do the referals with store credit?
Yes, but you're only awarded $2 / &#8364;2 / £2 per referral now.

MNC

Is it worth getting Space Marines for the co-op stuff? The singleplayer demo was kinda boring, but co-op makes everything better.

Yes, but you're only awarded $2 / €2 / £2 per referral now.

EH. That's hardly worth the effort. :/ Call me a cheapskate, but the referrals along with the decent sales made GMG worthwhile. But now... Low referals, no credit for reviews, no gifting, bad euro pricing instore.

Rufus

No Sweden and a few other countries pay in $, because GMG are awesome.
Germany actually pays in GBP. People asked for it, apparently. Space Marine (7.49GBP) is a whole .30EUR cheaper because of it, haha.

Yes, but you're only awarded $2 / &#8364;2 / £2 per referral now.
At a flat rate? Regardless of transaction value? ...That seems like a lot to me. Nevermind, just read the details. Looked pretty exploitable for a bit there.

Giard

Didn't really get an answer in the other thread...so someone please help me out!

I changed the Steam interface to French just to check out what it would look like (I'm French), and I noticed some of the games started downloading updates. Fearing they would change the games' language, I immediately switched back to English. The updates are still there, I've paused them for now.

I've pretty much confirmed that the updates are indeed the French versions of the game. It would take about 20 GB of bandwidth to download all that, and I have 50 GB monthly. Actually, add another 20 GB if I want the English versions again.

How can I stop this from happening? Is there a way to cancel the updates? I've tried restarting Steam and logging out, to no avail.

StuBurns

Banned
Maybe this is a stupid suggestion, but why not just put it back in English? If it tries to get the games you have in the language you want, and you already have them in English, presumably switching back it won't need to download them again.

And trying can't hurt if I understand your post correctly.

Turfster

Didn't really get an answer in the other thread...so someone please help me out!

I changed the Steam interface to French just to check out what it would look like (I'm French), and I noticed some of the games started downloading updates. Fearing they would change the games' language, I immediately switched back to English. The updates are still there, I've paused them for now.

I've pretty much confirmed that the updates are indeed the French versions of the game. It would take about 20 GB of bandwidth to download all that, and I have 50 GB monthly. Actually, add another 20 GB if I want the English versions again.

How can I stop this from happening? Is there a way to cancel the updates? I've tried restarting Steam and logging out, to no avail.
Did they actually delete the english versions? As in, you have 20 gigs more data free now? If they did, I think you're screwed, sorry.

Giard

Maybe this is a stupid suggestion, but why not just put it back in English? If it tries to get the games you have in the language you want, and you already have them in English, presumably switching back it won't need to download them again.

And trying can't hurt if I understand your post correctly.
I did switch back to English. Like 10 seconds after I saw the games updating. Somebody else told me the same thing in the other thread, is everyone skipping that part in my post? :p

Turfster said:
Did they actually delete the english versions? As in, you have 20 gigs more data free now? If they did, I think you're screwed, sorry.
My free space hasn't really changed. Perhaps 2-3 GB, don't know if it's related.

StuBurns

Banned
I did switch back to English. Like 10 seconds after I saw the games updating. Somebody else told me the same thing in the other thread, is everyone skipping that part in my post? :p

Sorry yeah, the last bit threw me off. So it's actually lined up two versions of every game to download? That sounds moronic.

Rufus

Doesn't look like it deleted the English files then... Which games are updating, specifically? If it's language related, it should e every single one you have currently installed that has a French version. Let me try something out...

Giard

Sorry yeah, the last bit threw me off. So it's actually lined up two versions of every game to download? That sounds moronic.
No, it only shows the game once in the Downloads screen.

IMO, it's moronic that they force you to play the game in the language of your interface.

1- If original version is French or English: Play it that way
2- If original version is neither: Play it in English
3- If English is not available: Play it in French

Pretty much everyone I know does this...and they will have their 360 dashboard in French, for example.

Doesn't look like it deleted the English files then... Which games are updating, specifically? If it's language related, it should e every single one you have currently installed that has a French version. Let me try something out...
There's the Witcher: Director's Cut, Vampire: The Masquerade, Cogs, and Team Fortress 2.

Balehead

Uh, just tried to boot DOTA 2, warns me that steam can't synchronize it with the cloud and asks me if I want to play. Declined and checked my settings just in case, somehow my account's email has become unverified and security status is Unknown, offline. Tried to change my email to re-verify but steam couldn't process it. All the stuff in my inventory is ok, so I doubt I've been hacked or anything.

Yea it seems that the community is down.

Guess that explains it.

Uh, just tried to boot DOTA 2, warns me that steam can't synchronize it with the cloud and asks me if I want to play. Declined and checked my settings just in case, somehow my account's email has become unverified and security status is Unknown, offline. Tried to change my email to re-verify but steam couldn't process it. All the stuff in my inventory is ok, so I doubt I've been hacked or anything.

It's probably because steam's network stuff is down right now. Try playing a single player game and see what happens...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom