• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements/Updates 2013 - Summer sale start date? No one knows, don't ask

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, no interest in Natural Selection 2? Is the community still alive?

That game is freaking awesome, I don't know about the community as I stopped playing it pretty fast... the graphics, team based gameplay, and situations that arise from the momentum to a win or lose is really compelling. More people should play it. You need good communication and a good commander.

Endless space worth it? Anyone think it will be in the summer sale for more than 66% off?

I like space games, but havent played them much. Looking to get into one...

The base version of Endless Space is an alright turn-based 4x strategy game. I admittedly do not know much about the new DLC but skimming over its entry on the store page it looks like it brings some changes to the combat system, which is Endless Space's biggest flaw/draw-back, but it doesn't look like Disharmony is a total overhaul the combat sort of needs. In Endless Space the combat is basically a non-interactive cinematic with three phases: long-range, mid-range and close-range combat. You sit there and watch the fleets approach and strafe each other and all you do is choose a card at range phase. It's basically like rock, paper, scissors. You can auto-resolve the combat, that's about the only positive aspect of it.

The rest of the game (or in this case, the other three X's) is actually pretty fun. I loved exploring and settling new solar systems, developing and terraforming planets, researching new tech and building a galaxy spanning empire. You get a bunch of different races with some fairly different traits to play as so there's a few different looks to playing the game. Endless Space looks pretty and has a great soundtrack and 3 out of 4 X's ain't all that bad. Not when the asking price is 11$

I played it for about 35 hours and uninstalled it. Went back to Civ V.

Koroviev

That game is freaking awesome, I don't know about the community as I stopped playing it pretty fast... the graphics, team based gameplay, and situations that arise from the momentum to a win or lose is really compelling. More people should play it. You need good communication and a good commander.

I would like to try it out. Just verifying that no one is looking to get in on a 4-pack.

Grief.exe

I honestly don't listen to music a lot on my PC through headphones. I have speakers for that. I used headphones for gaming probably 90% of the time.

But I like indie and classic rock, for the most part -- but my music taste is rather varied.

I would probably suggest open headphones then since the audio positioning is perfect for games.
Just making sure your favorite music isn't rap since it tones down the bass.

So here are my recommendations.

Beyerdynamic DT 990

Probably one of the best headphones on the market for the price. Huge sound stage, but keeps a great, yet balanced bass, despite being open. If I had the money, these would be what I would get.

Need to be amped and brushes the top of your price range.

Sennheiser HD 598

Not much to say, a classic. And easy to recommend to anyone.

AKG Q701

Apparently the Q series is much better than AKG's K series for gaming due to the soundstage.

Nabs

I'm loving both Joe Danger games. I don't know how well these will do on PC, but I hope it's enough to get another game out of them.

~Kinggi~

Banned
The base version of Endless Space is an alright turn-based 4x strategy game. I admittedly do not know much about the new DLC but skimming over its entry on the store page it looks like it brings some changes to the combat system, which is Endless Space's biggest flaw/draw-back, but it doesn't look like Disharmony is a total overhaul the combat sort of needs. In Endless Space the combat is basically a non-interactive cinematic with three phases: long-range, mid-range and close-range combat. You sit there and watch the fleets approach and strafe each other and all you do is choose a card at range phase. It's basically like rock, paper, scissors. You can auto-resolve the combat, that's about the only positive aspect of it.

The rest of the game (or in this case, the other three X's) is actually pretty fun. I loved exploring and settling new solar systems, developing and terraforming planets, researching new tech and building a galaxy spanning empire. You get a bunch of different races with some fairly different traits to play as so there's a few different looks to playing the game. Endless Space looks pretty and has a great soundtrack and 3 out of 4 X's ain't all that bad. Not when the asking price is 11$

I played it for about 35 hours and uninstalled it. Went back to Civ V.

Yeah i bought it. Thanks for the opinions. People in the OT thread like it too.

Sorry if I've missed it, but has anyone posted impressions of "Legends of Dawn"?

Seems like an interesting RPG but it could be terrible as well.

Thanks for the racing recommendations, guys. Have a big list to sift through now.

I'll get mine in too... another vote for Driver San Francisco. Use the ENB mod for better lighting if you do get it. Fantastic open world game with great driving. The shifting mechanic is absurd yet it totally works and is crazy fun to do.

v0rtikal

Expect Mortal Kombat to have terrible netcode just like the console versions, I'm sure they didn't touch that aspect of the game which is a tremendous mistake. If they had.. I'm pretty sure they'd have announced it.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
I would probably suggest open headphones then since the audio positioning is perfect for games.

Beyerdynamic DT 990

Probably one of the best headphones on the market for the price. Huge sound stage, but keeps a great, yet balanced bass, despite being open. If I had the money, these would be what I would get.

Sennheiser HD 598

AKG Q701

Apparently the Q series is much better than AKG's K series for gaming due to the soundstage.

Backing up the suggestion for the 598s, excellent piece. To pair it with a soundcard, you don't need much. An ASUS Xonar DG will do you just fine and should help fit you close to your budget if you want to go with the 598s.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I'm loving both Joe Danger games. I don't know how well these will do on PC, but I hope it's enough to get another game out of them.
I'd like to try them, but without a demo it's hard to say if I'll like them or not. 40% off for a pack of 2 games that have just launched isn't bad at all, but I'm still going to wait for a deeper discount before I bite.

Beyerdynamic DT 990

Sennheiser HD 598

AKG Q701

Man. This post makes me want to go out and buy a nice pair of headphones. I already have a pair of HD555s that I mostly use with my receiver.

I won my first game of Civ V tonight.

It was this really peaceful game up until the 2000's where everyone was friends with each other. I spent most of that time just casually building farms, and gathering resources. There were very few wars, none of which involved me.

13 hours in the past 24 (with breaks of course), and came down to 2041 AD before Genghis Kahn, and Montezuma both declared war on me. In that same turn I fired all of my nukes, assembled the final piece of my rocket, and took off to a Science Victory with 9 years to spare before the game timed out.

It was one of my most exciting game moments in a long. It came so down to the wire, and to leave the planet burning and my citizens starving (for an extra science boost) as I launched into space just felt really good.

That said, I'm not allowing myself to play again for another year. Once a year is plenty. I lose my bearings way too much when I play this game.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown on the other hand...

I remember my first game of Civilization V. I started like "I'm going to build a great empire based on science and knowledge".

Then I realized I was Genghis Khan and was like "fuck that shit, conquer everything".

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I've been on a huge Hitman kick of late- does anyone know if the boxed copy of Hitman Contracts will work on Windows 7? Or where to get it digitally?

From the little I've read, Contracts has crash issues under Win7 that can be resolved by patching it to 1.74 and then using a no-CD executable. Also, the game isn't available anywhere digitally as the rights to a licensed song lapsed and Eidos refuses to either license it again or remove/replace it.

Edit: Er, "read", not "said".

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
I would highly recommend Beyerdynamic cans to any gamer. I use these. Incredibly comfortable with great sound. My ears are kinda big and most over-the-ear headphones bother me after a half hour or so, but I can wear the DT 770s for hours with no discomfort. The pads are soft, but firm enough to allow your ears ample space. It's also the only pair of over-the-ear headphones my girlfriend has ever been able to use since she got industrial piercings.

Fucking love these things.

Stupid question time. I just got a new gaming Pc so I'm a little out of date on the Pc scene and Steam in general. I am doing my best to avoid games with additional DRM. I found a list(Big list of 3rd party DRM on Steam - PcGaming Wiki) which has been great in letting me know what to avoid.

Thanks to this topic I learned about the Bundlestars website and snagged the bundle with Kings Bounty The Legend and Men of War Vietnam. Two games I was really interested in trying. Both appear on the Drm list under the section "Removed Drm" with the caveat that retail copies have Securom or Starforce.

I figured since I was getting Steam Keys Id be safe however when activating Men of War Vietnam Steam listed the game as "Men of War Vietnam Retail." Does this mean even though I installed it through Steam I will have to put up with DRM? I didn't try King's Bounty yet so I am unsure if that also has the "Retail" marking when activating it. Any help one way or the other is appreciated. Basically, Im curious if I just installed Securom on my Pc despite activating/downloading via Steam. Does Retail refer just to boxed copies or also Steam activations that are marked with "Retail."

Have I essentially redeemed the same game twice?
7tewQOK.png
Or is the "Preorder Retail" only DLC (not the game + DLC)? I was expecting to see "You already own this product". Oops...

*Edit - Damn, it is the game + DLC. http://steamdb.info/sub/27532/#section_apps

Oh well, it was my mistake, so I guess I'll just take it on the chin. Bit of a waste though.

denx

I figured since I was getting Steam Keys Id be safe however when activating Men of War Vietnam Steam listed the game as "Men of War Vietnam Retail." Does this mean even though I installed it through Steam I will have to put up with DRM? I didn't try King's Bounty yet so I am unsure if that also has the "Retail" marking when activating it. Any help one way or the other is appreciated. Basically, Im curious if I just installed Securom on my Pc despite activating/downloading via Steam. Does Retail refer just to boxed copies or also Steam activations that are marked with "Retail."

A lot of Steam-activable games bought outside of Steam will have "Retail" on their name when you activate them. Don't worry, it doesn't mean anything. If the game is listed as not having any additional DRM apart from Steam, then that's it.

If you are in doubt though, I suggest you use "Enhanced Steam". It is an addon for Firefox and Chrome, and will give you a lot of additional information on games, including any DRM a game may have.

Danj

I won my first game of Civ V tonight.

It was this really peaceful game up until the 2000's where everyone was friends with each other. I spent most of that time just casually building farms, and gathering resources. There were very few wars, none of which involved me.

13 hours in the past 24 (with breaks of course), and came down to 2041 AD before Genghis Kahn, and Montezuma both declared war on me. In that same turn I fired all of my nukes, assembled the final piece of my rocket, and took off to a Science Victory with 9 years to spare before the game timed out.

It was one of my most exciting game moments in a long. It came so down to the wire, and to leave the planet burning and my citizens starving (for an extra science boost) as I launched into space just felt really good.

That said, I'm not allowing myself to play again for another year. Once a year is plenty. I lose my bearings way too much when I play this game.

Uh, you know the expansion pack is out in a week or so, right?

Grief.exe

More on that Darkspore issue from earlier.

Darkspore, the sci-fi action-RPG game from EA and Maxis, has recently been pulled from the Steam store. The product delisting follows months of server problems plaguing the title, resulting in an unplayable game.

Error 73003, the error that pops up that players receive when they can’t login to EA’s servers, is actually a long-standing issue that has persisted since the release of the game in 2011. At one point, new players couldn’t play the game for over nine days because of EA's server issues.

Darkspore requires an internet connection to play the game, which EA says is not intended as a DRM mechanism. Much like Diablo 3, Darkspore requires players to be online even if playing the game solo. Items and experience that are earned in the game are stored on EA’s online servers to be used in online gameplay.

...Steam may have delisted the game after realizing its unplayable state. Trying to load the product page just pushes you back to the storefront. Even with all its problems, the game is still being sold on Origin.

http://www.gametrailers.com/side-mi...-from-steam-plagued-with-game-breaking-issues

ShaneB

As was mentioned before, that "retail" stamp is basically just for account history purposes, showing that you redeemed a code in steam and that was it.

Uh, you know the expansion pack is out in a week or so, right?

THIS! Brave New World is out next week and will overhaul Civ V so much, and I can't wait for it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom