• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 II - The Definitive Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

deejay

Tricky situation.

I got this new hard drive, and it became drive E so my external became F. Now, I had used steammover to put 100 games on the external before this, before steam allowed easy creation of new libraries on other drives. So now the routing folders are all referring to things that don't exist, so steam can't find them.

Is there a fast way to fix their association to the external drive? If not, will Steam recognize the games if I move their files (it would take a while but I can do it as I sleep) to the steam library I started on the new hard drive? There isn't enough room on drive C to move them all into where the routing folders are.

You could've simply given the drive the right letter ? Control Panel -> System And Security -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management -> Disk Management -> Right-click on the drive.

Tricky situation.

I got this new hard drive, and it became drive E so my external became F. Now, I had used steammover to put 100 games on the external before this, before steam allowed easy creation of new libraries on other drives. So now the routing folders are all referring to things that don't exist, so steam can't find them.

Is there a fast way to fix their association to the external drive? If not, will Steam recognize the games if I move their files (it would take a while but I can do it as I sleep) to the steam library I started on the new hard drive? There isn't enough room on drive C to move them all into where the routing folders are.

Edit: I tried uninstalling Sniper 2 to get rid of the ghost folder, then moved the game folder to the library folder on the new hard drive, then told steam to install sniper 2 to the new library where it was sitting. The installation popup said it was discovering already-existing game files and the download screen said it was validating, but then it actually deleted everything and is downloading the whole game. It seems the moving-over plan won't work out too well.

Couldn't you just change the drive letters back to what they were? It's not that hard. http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows7/ht/change-drive-letters-windows-7.htm

Edit: B-10

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Well if I do that now isn't it going to fuck up what I have on the new drive? Maaaaan....

Did the steam updates break anyone's Metro skin?
wut
This has happened twice to me in the past couple of weeks. The first time it lasted for about an hour, the next was closer to five. The store page was absolutely fine, just all (well, nearly all) of the community pictures were dead. It will fix itself, so nothing to worry about. I thought initially it was a problem on my end (since none of my friends I spoke to were experiencing it), but it's definitely Steam's problem.

Arthea

Disappointed that bundle has nothing to do with blue people.

Surely you mean green people?

Not that I pay much attention to the Steam home page any more, but it's proof that there's just too much fluff releasing. Love+ slipped me by. Picking that up today. Will post some impressions later and see what others have to say.

I somehow totally forgot to write my impressions on it.
I can see attraction, even if it's not my type of a game, but holy smoke, yellow Egyptian level, it broke my resolution to give this game a chance, I mean disappearing aliens, that's epitome of frustration. The game is generous with lives, it really is, I left all in that damn level. There my story ends with this game. (><)

Not that I pay much attention to the Steam home page any more, but it's proof that there's just too much fluff releasing. Love+ slipped me by. Picking that up today. Will post some impressions later and see what others have to say.

edit. Damn I missed a discount too.

Most disappointing of all is that I voted for this on Greenlight and Steam didn't notify me that it was out.

Caerith

Surely you mean green people?
Nope, interstellar definitely means blue people:

interstella_5555.jpg

ArjanN

Saw Steam achievements show up for Ms Splosion Man on an achievement tracking site, so I'm guessing GFWL will be gone from that soon.

Turfster

Okay, the problem with the Steam site is explained.
Images and scripts are stored on cdn.store.steampowered.com, which doesn't resolve here...

Arthea

Talking about gifting locking for some regions.
I don't really think it's good even for publishers. Lemme explain what I mean.
I think most of us don't really look for cheaper options for games we wanted to play yesterday, we just buy them and are glad these are released. The games that get bought through cheaper options are ones we aren't so sure about. Meaning, if they region lock, gift lock, not like we go and buy them, we wait for them to drop in price or get into some bundles. So basically, instead of getting our money earlier (through gifting), publishers get the same amount of money only much later if at all.
I simply don't see benefits for anyone in locking. Am I wrong?

Jawmuncher

That Humble Weekly Bundle is pretty whack.
Especially with how Deponia is a BTA game. Seriously? It was BTA in a previous bundle then went on sale for like a dollar during the holiday sale. Had it been Deponia at the 1 dollar tier and deponia 2 at the 6 I would have bought it in a heart beat. But everything else there is of no interest to me and I already have Deponia 1. So i guess i'm just complaining about what could have been.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Ah, I didn't know you were still updating that thread. I guess it's good that it's still pretty limited in scope? But still, sucks when stuff is re-flagged after it's been up for sale.

That the flag is being added to subs retroactively isn't a good sign. It's the end of days. :(

Divius

I looked up a puzzle solution for The Swapper! *hangs head in shame*

I actually had the right idea myself, but had to place my clone slightly more to the left while I had to stand slightly more to the right. A matter of pixels. Argh! :|

Card Boy

Banned
Especially with how Deponia is a BTA game. Seriously? It was BTA in a previous bundle then went on sale for like a dollar during the holiday sale. Had it been Deponia at the 1 dollar tier and deponia 2 at the 6 I would have bought it in a heart beat. But everything else there is of no interest to me and I already have Deponia 1. So i guess i'm just complaining about what could have been.

Deponia is shit, just ignore it even exists in that bundle.

Arthea

Even if Deponia in BTA is really weird decision, the bundle is really worth money for adventure people, only... adventure people have most games that are worth having in this bundle.

Deponia is shit, just ignore it even exists in that bundle.

nah, it isn't. It is a weird game, and not for everyone, but it's not bad.

Okay, the problem with the Steam site is explained.
Images and scripts are stored on cdn.store.steampowered.com, which doesn't resolve here...

Yeah. I wonder why that is. I am currently in China and everything works fine with Steam. Just not the images and some scripts.

Though I almost use a VPN 99% of the Time, but still it is kinda strange.

Kuroyume

Banned
Yeah that bundle is pretty shit to me because I don't care about adventure games. Walking Dead was the one I kinda thought was okay. Feel like the last two weekly bundles have been lame but there's been so many other bundles I can't complain.

Caerith

That the flag is being added to subs retroactively isn't a good sign. It's the end of days. :(

How does this affect stuff that's already been traded? Does the "OnlyAllowRunInRegion" (or whatever) flag prevent games from being played if they were added to a library before the flag was added?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
So right now all of these games with no cross region trading flag only apply to Eastern Europe and South America?

Yes. The way it works is that those in Eastern Europe/South America are unable to gift or trade the games to international users directly through Steam, and while it's possible to circumvent this by having the gifts sent via e-mail, the recipient would need to use a VPN to activate them. As the flag was added retroactively to a bunch of games it also affects copies obtained from Eastern European/South American users that are sitting unredeemed in inventories.

How does this affect stuff that's already been traded? Does the "OnlyAllowRunInRegion" (or whatever) flag prevent games from being played if they were added to a library before the flag was added?

If, say, South Park is already in your library, you're fine. If it were still sitting in your inventory, however, you'd need to use a VPN activate it, which isn't something I'd recommend.

Turfster

Yeah. I wonder why that is. I am currently in China and everything works fine with Steam. Just not the images and some scripts.

Though I almost use a VPN 99% of the Time, but still it is kinda strange.

I "fixed" it by switching to Google's DNS server (8.8.8.8).
Still, weird.

7Framed looks interesting... in a David Cagey way.

Caerith

If, say, South Park is already in your library, you're fine. If it were still sitting in your inventory, however, you'd need to use a VPN, which isn't something I'd recommend.

Sucks to be in any of the censored regions going forward, I guess. Sucks more than usual, I mean.

Thief keys are out on GMG for anyone who pre-ordered so if you want to get that pre-load going you know what to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom