• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2014 - Insert witty title here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nabs

I decided to help someone in Dark Souls 2 today.

His name was Little Mac.

All fists, all the time. I couldn't stop laughing.

inyeMp484iWG6.png

Levyne

Banned
Dark Souls 2 is so massive. I'm like 30 hours in and I'm still supposedly at the "Early part of the game".

Design decisions, re-used content, whatever. This thing is packed full. And I'm enjoying myself :D

It helps that I'm playing a way different build than I was before.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Dark Souls 2 is so massive. I'm like 30 hours in and I'm still supposedly at the "Early part of the game".

Design decisions, re-used content, whatever. This thing is packed full. And I'm enjoying myself :D

It helps that I'm playing a way different build than I was before.

Christ, I have yet to even play the first one. I should just clear out an entire year, huh?

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
I believe I understand your perspective now Dice, I believe I just got stuck on the words "static" and "because the way it works never changes" as I did feel like I got a lot of variation and different play styles in Demon's Souls/Dark Souls even if they weren't the spur of the moment during a specific encounter due to the limited move set for each weapon.

Though it's amusing that Bayonetta came up as I actually played it rather the same as what I was talking about earlier. Demon's Souls and Bayonetta I played right next to each other and for each of them I would constantly get a new weapon and go back to old areas to mess around with the different weapons or different play styles afforded to me by them. Quick slashing weapons changed to hard hitting weapons switched to long range attacks switched to dodging a whole lot more, and all quite a lot of fun in me just experimenting around. Though from my perspective, both are slaves to the mechanics and A.I. behaviour and thus I feel that one could make the argument and being justified in their own way both titles never feel differently no matter how you play or what weapons you use, that's not what I got out of them.

Now I also got stuck on the "auto-win" comment of once you know what you are doing, it's no trouble at all. Even with games like Thief that I enjoy or the random behaviour I do in Serious Sam with no plan ahead of time, all games can ultimately fall into that. If a title has an auto-win and that's not fun to me, I argue to simply not do that any more even when some may get stuck on it (see most any conversation on NeoGAF about how broken the cape is because you "auto-win" with it).

In regards to "breaking the mold", I still have to say playing as a Black Phantom, a supposed invader" into a game world and meant to be an enemy in another person's game was great fun for me because I actually went against that and decided to help other players. I would fight enemies, I would try to lead them to treasure, I would run around like a Benny Hill sketch as they chased me thinking I was an enemy and didn't understand. Enemies behaved differently there, players reacted differently, and it was good fun I would never have experienced had I not done what the developers didn't expect in Demon's Souls (and thankfully didn't fix in Dark Souls).

Thanks all for the fun discussion and reading of differing perspectives and opinion, always good. We don't all have to like the same games and I would never want someone to play something they don't enjoy (unless they are using it for study), but I do appreciate us talking about it and sharing opinions on titles such as these.

Miguel81

Oh come ON, this make me worry for my Child of Light save data =_= I assume Rayman Legends on Steam also requires Uplay?

JaseC lost like 90 hours on AC IV. Best thing to do is back up saves once in a while. I'm guessing Steam suffers from this? Guilt by association.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Happy Birthday Milamber!! :D

bad

get mario golf
No, golf is boooooooriiiinggggg.

Oh, nice to know. Never had a look at the Retail sub before so I though it was odd. I mean, what sense does it make to put the gifting and trading restrictions on a key? :p
Probably to block key resellers?
Can't think of any other reason to restrict that one.

c'mon dude that's not fair

like, the recipe to success in dark souls is no secret: don't be fucking greedy.

there's very little cursing and screaming if you play like you're meant to, there's a lot of it if you don't.

it's not a big revelation or anything, if you just play safe you win, it's not a hard game at all, it's just a game that punishes you harder than most for not playing it right.

but you know, it's a lot more rewarding, which is why people like it so much
From what I've played of Demon's Souls (and I assume that Dark 1 & 2 are similar in essence), the game seems to be like good old NES games in the sense that you need time, patience, concentration and willingness to experiment.

So I took a pic of fighting alongside LIttle Mac again, just for nabs. I'll post it when I exit my game session for the night.

--

My other favorite was defending the Belfry with a guy named Cloud Strife. The guy was running around dual wielding the giant greatswords that look like a buster sword.
TadkV.gif

zkylon

zkylewd
For what it's worth, I beat Bayonetta on hard mode using a single combo for at least 95% of the game.
I still laugh about that.
There's so much to Bayonetta that is completely optional in terms of learning. I still think it's a solid action game, but I fault it for never teaching you or requiring you to learn the some of the more complex mechanics that make the game different.
yea i beat ninja gaiden sigma doing the same thing

His name was Little Mac.

inyeMp484iWG6.png

lol that's hilarious

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I wonder what I'll do when I finish the game, NG+ or start over with a new character. That's what I did in 1, I finished with a tanky STR character (like I'm playing in 2) and then finished again with a DEX pyromancer, I never actually play NG+ in the first game

Card Boy

Banned
I can't wait till someone comes out with a bundle called 'the piece of shit bundle'

Featuring:

Wheelchair simulator
5 RPG maker games
and some game that makes War-Z look like a masterpiece

Hadn't heard of 3 Stars of Destiny before. Sounds like 1/36th of a Suikoden game.

1/36 of the quality content padded out to a similar length, perhaps, from what I remember messing around with it a few years back. Maybe I was just in an unforgiving mood.

Edit: Lest I seem above it all, yes I bought it primarily for 3 Stars. Total sucker for even the flimsiest of RPG retreads. I know.

Knurek

I can't wait till someone comes out with a bundle called 'the piece of shit bundle'
Featuring:
5 RPG maker games

I resent that remark, there are some actual good RPG Maker games. Ratio of good-to-bad seems to be on par with GameMaker or AGS games, really.

To the Moon is a good game made with RPG Maker :)

I can also vouch for Cherry Tree High Comedy Club and Skyborn (from what I've played). There's tonnes of good/great free games as well (Star Stealing Prince, Wine & Roses, Middens, Last Scenario).
Sure, there's a lot of crap made with the system. As is the case with just about every other open development system.

Won an Order domination victory as Poland and got the Better Red Than Dead achievement. Quite literally.

I wanted to try for an Order cultural victory but The Celts were my immediate neighbour and on top of their usual religion-mongering they also tried to surprise attack my capitol and constantly demanded my second city in the peace agreements. I didn't stop until I completely annexed their 3 city empire...which got every other Civ denouncing me for the rest of the game. And this was coming from a bunch of bad war mongers. There were literally 5 Civs waging war on Attila for 1000's of years and they couldn't take any of his cities. Attila probably deserved it, he always does but they were just mad that I was better at it than they were.

I couldn't play the culture game because I spent so much time building up a navy to take the Celts empire. England was able to just wonder spam and they all just traded research agreements with each other while insulting me. Once I researched Radio and had several oil deposits, I basically steam-rolled every other Civ in the game and took their capitals. Maybe they'll be nicer to Poland next time and just let them wonder spam.

Copons

His name was Little Mac.

inyeMp484iWG6.png

mac494syp.gif

BTW guys, I really cannot understand you people saying DS isn't hard if you have a cautious approach. That just isn't true and you know it.
Bosses are motherfuckers no matter how careful you are. Some patterns are just too counter-intuitive, requiring too much trial-and-error to figure them out. IIRC, the fat dragon in the Asylum requires you to run in its butthole to avoid its AOE attack which is some kind of wave starting from it. So you're just supposed to be in the eye of the hurricane to be safe, even if the eye coincides with the most dangerous place in the arena. Ok: when you know it the boss becomes pretty easy to beat, but I still have to understand how you're supposed to figure out a strategy like that.

Also, I've been stuck forever in front of Sen's Fortress, yeah you know, the Sen's Funhouse gif part. Mostly because I was forced to stop playing for months, but then, when I started again, I was able to kick the Darkroot wolf in the ass, and still I'm able to basically get to the first mimic (there I get greedy and he always eats me :D ).
But my point is: Sen's entrance features several ranged spellcasters. I'm totally not specced for a ranged fight, so I'd need like 200 arrows or spells to kill one of them. Now, this has been the harshest wall I found in DS so far. Without ranged, I really don't know how to safely proceed, but I'm not really into farming for hours to buy some powerful arrows for a single try that will probably abruptly ends because I misstep on a swinging blade. :D

Game is hard as shit. It's its main feature and the main reason it rules so much. But it's hard as shit nonetheless. You cannot diminish its difficulty just to make a (implicit) point of how good is DS, because you're actually diminishing the game itself.

Dark Souls isn't hard if you approach it cautiously.

I skimmed the rest but I saw bosses and I beat the dude with the two dogs and the gargoyle from dark souls 1 on my first try.

so

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
To the Moon is a good game made with RPG Maker :)

Absolutely, it's easily recommendable. I really like how Freebird handled the Steam release: if you purchased the game from their website, they'd send you a free Steam key.

How cool is that?

Miguel81

mac494syp.gif

BTW guys, I really cannot understand you people saying DS isn't hard if you have a cautious approach. That just isn't true and you know it.
Bosses are motherfuckers no matter how careful you are. Some patterns are just too counter-intuitive, requiring too much trial-and-error to figure them out. IIRC, the fat dragon in the Asylum requires you to run in its butthole to avoid its AOE attack which is some kind of wave starting from it. So you're just supposed to be in the eye of the hurricane to be safe, even if the eye coincides with the most dangerous place in the arena. Ok: when you know it the boss becomes pretty easy to beat, but I still have to understand how you're supposed to figure out a strategy like that.

Also, I've been stuck forever in front of Sen's Fortress, yeah you know, the Sen's Funhouse gif part. Mostly because I was forced to stop playing for months, but then, when I started again, I was able to kick the Darkroot wolf in the ass, and still I'm able to basically get to the first mimic (there I get greedy and he always eats me :D ).
But my point is: Sen's entrance features several ranged spellcasters. I'm totally not specced for a ranged fight, so I'd need like 200 arrows or spells to kill one of them. Now, this has been the harshest wall I found in DS so far. Without ranged, I really don't know how to safely proceed, but I'm not really into farming for hours to buy some powerful arrows for a single try that will probably abruptly ends because I misstep on a swinging blade. :D

Game is hard as shit. It's its main feature and the main reason it rules so much. But it's hard as shit nonetheless. You cannot diminish its difficulty just to make a (implicit) point of how good is DS, because you're actually diminishing the game itself.

It is very hard, and I cursed my way through a lot of it. It reminded me of playing Ninja Gaiden(OG version XBOX), but not as fun because it's much slower. The least they could have done is explain the freakin' covenants in the manual. I played the game blind, unlike many others that used the wiki and say things like "git gud".

mannerbot

mac494syp.gif

Bosses are motherfuckers no matter how careful you are. Some patterns are just too counter-intuitive, requiring too much trial-and-error to figure them out. IIRC, the fat dragon in the Asylum requires you to run in its butthole to avoid its AOE attack who is some kind of wave starting from it. So you're just supposed to be in the eye of the hurricane to be safe, even if the eye coincides with the most dangerous place in the arena. Ok: when you know it the boss becomes pretty easy to beat, but I still have to understand how you're supposed to figure out a strategy like that.

The specific examples you cited don't really help your point. Being cautious/patient don't mean standing there with your shield up hoping that the boss falls over for you. You have to be observant, learn from your mistakes, and adapt. You don't need ranged spells/projectiles in order to get past Sen's, you just need the ability to identify threats and make snap decisions when the situation calls for one.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
A few spares:

ModBot said:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Ring Runner -- MB-272D7D9F1CBDF852 - Taken by Crentist the Dentist
SpaceChem -- MB-A10D2DB508B95F8A - Taken by Dice
Survivor Squad -- MB-B4EE0E71F2845D6F - Taken by NingenJanai - Taken by NingenJanai

Knurek

Absolutely, it's easily recommendable. I really like how Freebird handled the Steam release: if you purchased the game from their website, they'd send you a free Steam key.

How cool is that?

This shouldn't be cool at all, this should be a standard all devs should adhere to (most do, incidentally).

Copons

The specific examples you cited don't really help your point. Being cautious/patient don't mean standing there with your shield up hoping that the boss falls over for you. You have to be observant, learn from your mistakes, and adapt. You don't need ranged spells/projectiles in order to get past Sen's, you just need the ability to identify threats and make snap decisions when the situation calls for one.

Probably not the best example, but I stopped playing some time ago so my memories are a bit blurry. :)
Still, in that room, the second bridge with four blades has a spellcaster right beyond the last blade. I honestly don't know how to approach it melee and damage free, because if I go slow to avoid blades I take at least one hit, and then I have not enough time to do a combo attack because of the blade in front of the guy.

Now if someone comes out with a super easy super dumb melee way to aggro ranged enemies, I swear I'm not going to work to play DS.

Deques

How cool is that?

Many devs do the same thing. Too bad they don't do the opposite

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
This shouldn't be cool at all, this should be a standard all devs should adhere to (most do, incidentally).

Sure, I agree. But I still think it's a good move, even if it's one we shouldn't have to highlight.

Many devs do the same thing. Too bad they don't do the opposite

I didn't realize it was common practice. I guess I'm really out of the loop in that regard. I don't spend much time off of Steam these days.

Miguel81

Probably not the best example, but I stopped playing some time ago so my memories are a bit blurry. :)
Still, in that room, the second bridge with four blades has a spellcaster right beyond the last blade. I honestly don't know how to approach it melee and damage free, because if I go slow to avoid blades I take at least one hit, and then I have not enough time to do a combo attack because of the blade in front of the guy.

Now if someone comes out with a super easy super dumb melee way to aggro ranged enemies, I swear I'm not going to work to play DS.

I play most role-playing games as a thief/archer, and this one actually benefits from that type of nimble character. I'm sorry I can't provide any assistance.

mannerbot

I think I know what you're talking about, and here's how to approach that situation: wait for the caster to cast a spell that will either hit a blade or just miss entirely, then advance a bit. Wait with your shield up in a safe spot (keeping in mind knockback from blocking a spell, so don't be too close to a blade behind you) and wait for another cast to either hit a blade or be blocked. Then run forward and try to run around the caster for a backstab, or if it blocks your path then hit it so it moves out of your way then run in the room.

Basically, playing cautious does not mean moving at a snail's pace the entire time. There are times when there's a very short green light and you just have to go. And as far as the Stray Demon, I actually had a really really difficult time my first playthrough, but I was a much better player for it. Here are the adaptations I had to make:
I switched my shield up for one with higher magic resist, and while it was obvious to me that I should get behind it since then I'd be avoiding all of her frontal swings/spells, I wasn't able to effectively do so until I abandoned locking on entirely.

Knurek

I didn't realize it was common practice. I guess I'm really out of the loop in that regard. I don't spend much time off of Steam these days.

I think this started where Humble Widgets became a thing, since this eases up future key distribution considerably.

Copons

I think I know what you're talking about, and here's how to approach that situation: wait for the caster to cast a spell that will either hit a blade or just miss entirely, then advance a bit. Wait with your shield up in a safe spot (keeping in mind knockback from blocking a spell, so don't be too close to a blade behind you) and wait for another cast to either hit a blade or be blocked. Then run forward and try to run around the caster for a backstab, or if it blocks your path then hit it so it moves out of your way then run in the room.

Basically, playing cautious does not mean moving at a snail's pace the entire time. There are times when there's a very short green light and you just have to go. And as far as the Stray Demon, I actually had a really really difficult time my first playthrough, but I was a much better player for it. Here are the adaptations I had to make:
I switched my shield up for one with higher magic resist, and while it was obvious to me that I should get behind it since then I'd be avoiding all of her frontal swings/spells, I wasn't able to effectively do so until I abandoned locking on entirely.

AH! That's not a strategy to lure him, so I'm going to work. :'(
But as soon as I grow again the pair needed to launch DS, I'm gonna try that approach, even tho it kinda seems pretty basic. Probably I'd need to attack him with an horizontally swinging weapon (like the black knight huge sword?) to throw him down the bridge, because my loved halberd isn't really useful, pushing him back but still on the bridge.

As for the demon: I figured out I needed to go behind it, like immediately. But the wave is circular, so it hits you even there. You have to get under it, because the wave doesn't start "inside" the demon, but just outside it, so there's that safe place, indeed, in its butthole.
And that... that I found annoying. To figure out this strategy you need to get in what should basically be the most dangerous place of the whole fight (and IIRC the demon also has a tail attack, maybe not, but still in DS you are used to approach carefully tailed enemies), hoping to be precisely in the tiny safe spot, because if you miss the position of like 20cm you get hit by the wave, thus not being able to figure out the strategy anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom