• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2014 - Insert witty title here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still, in that room, the second bridge with four blades has a spellcaster right beyond the last blade. I honestly don't know how to approach it melee and damage free, because if I go slow to avoid blades I take at least one hit, and then I have not enough time to do a combo attack because of the blade in front of the guy.

Some would suggest the game is telling you that 100% melee is a bad idea. Just as you should wear armour to help you out, a bow or a spell is a good idea too (note that you don't need either of those things to beat the game).

But in concept, I agree because all three souls games are hard. Being able to overcome that difficulty does not actually erase it as some seem to believe.

aku:jiki

Woohoo, just had that type of run in Isaac that reminds me why I love this type of game design and how much damn fun they can be when the planets align and everything just goes the perfect way. I was playing as blue baby, trying to unlock the D6, and for 3 floors I found only average at best items, like an 8-ball and some other minor shot upgrade. My spirit hearts were quickly draining; I was down to like 0 keys and one heart remaining when I managed to beat a boss without taking damage and lucked into an angel room, which gave me the Mitre. That turned me into some kind of luck wizard because from there on, I had an angel room on every floor and ended up with both the Bible (for easy Mom kills) and the goddamn Sacred Heart. On the next couple of floors, I found Cancer, Spelunker hat and a damage upgrade, while every boss, miniboss and super secret room gave me more and more health. I thought I'd have trouble even reaching It Lives, but I got there, bible'd him and even breezed through Sheol and killed Satan on my first attempt thanks to the ridiculousness of Sacred Heart. Now I wish that item wasn't so incredibly rare, because that was some FUN!

Too bad the D6 is kind of a disappointing unlock. It forces you to play in a much more tedious way, backtracking every five rooms and feeling annoyed if you find the item rooms in the "wrong order"... Oh well, time to start milking it for Mom's Eye and Book of Revelations for those rare achievements.

mannerbot

AH! That's not a strategy to lure him, so I'm going to work. :'(
But as soon as I grow again the pair needed to launch DS, I'm gonna try that approach, even tho it kinda seems pretty basic. Probably I'd need to attack him with an horizontally swinging weapon (like the black knight huge sword?) to throw him down the bridge, because my loved halberd isn't really useful, pushing him back but still on the bridge.

As for the demon: I figured out I needed to go behind it, like immediately. But the wave is circular, so it hits you even there. You have to get under it, because the wave doesn't start "inside" the demon, but just outside it, so there's that safe place, indeed, in its butthole.
And that... that I found annoying. To figure out this strategy you need to get in what should basically be the most dangerous place of the whole fight (and IIRC the demon also has a tail attack, maybe not, but still in DS you are used to approach carefully tailed enemies), hoping to be precisely in the tiny safe spot, because if you miss the position of like 20cm you get hit by the wave, thus not being able to figure out the strategy anymore.

Oh, I actually didn't know that about the Stray Demon's AOE attack. What I did was bait it out, run away, then come back in to punish. And as far as that part in Sen's, you don't have to knock the caster off the bridge. You're just creating space in the doorway so that you can get in and away from the blades.

edit: oh, and just like I remembered there's enough space to squeeze in around the caster anyway. :p

Caerith

I can also vouch for Cherry Tree High Comedy Club and Skyborn (from what I've played). There's tonnes of good/great free games as well (Star Stealing Prince, Wine & Roses, Middens, Last Scenario).
Sure, there's a lot of crap made with the system. As is the case with just about every other open development system.
The Witch's House. I mention it every time "good RPG Maker games" comes up, but it really is the Dark Souls of free RPG Maker games.

But my point is: Sen's entrance features several ranged spellcasters. I'm totally not specced for a ranged fight, so I'd need like 200 arrows or spells to kill one of them. Now, this has been the harshest wall I found in DS so far. Without ranged, I really don't know how to safely proceed, but I'm not really into farming for hours to buy some powerful arrows for a single try that will probably abruptly ends because I misstep on a swinging blade. :D
I got through Sen's Fortress safely with my only ranged weapon being the reinforced club's R2 attack. The casters are slow enough that you can ignore them until they're in melee range, and you can usually use the traps to kill the melee guys. Your most powerful weapon is knowledge-- maybe watch how this guy does it (SL1 NG+7) for ideas if you're stuck?

Copons

Some would suggest the game is telling you that 100% melee is a bad idea. Just as you should wear armour to help you out, a bow or a spell is a good idea too (note that you don't need either of those things to beat the game).

But in concept, I agree because all three souls games are hard. Being able to overcome that difficulty does not actually erase it as some seem to believe.

Oh, I actually didn't know that about the Stray Demon's AOE attack. What I did was bait it out, run away, then come back in to punish. And as far as that part in Sen's, you don't have to knock the caster off the bridge. You're just creating space in the doorway so that you can get in and away from the blades.

edit: oh, and just like I remembered there's enough space to squeeze in around the caster anyway. :p

The Witch's House. I mention it every time "good RPG Maker games" comes up, but it really is the Dark Souls of free RPG Maker games.

I got through Sen's Fortress safely with my only ranged weapon being the reinforced club's R2 attack. The casters are slow enough that you can ignore them until they're in melee range, and you can usually use the traps to kill the melee guys. Your most powerful weapon is knowledge-- maybe watch how this guy does it (SL1 NG+7) for ideas if you're stuck?

Thanks everybody. All this talk about DS made me want trying again, so I'm totally gonna check everything out as soon as I will be able to actually play it for more than 10 mins before going to work.
Also I hope my Sixaxis with broken L2 (it just presses every now and then, veeeeeeery comfortable for games like DS :D ) won't be that much of a problem!

zkylon

zkylewd
Probably not the best example, but I stopped playing some time ago so my memories are a bit blurry. :)
Still, in that room, the second bridge with four blades has a spellcaster right beyond the last blade. I honestly don't know how to approach it melee and damage free, because if I go slow to avoid blades I take at least one hit, and then I have not enough time to do a combo attack because of the blade in front of the guy.

Now if someone comes out with a super easy super dumb melee way to aggro ranged enemies, I swear I'm not going to work to play DS.
well i almost always play melee and i just roll through their spells/arrows

in the section with the pendulum blade thingies i just blocked the arrows with my shield

you could maybe buy a bunch of throwing daggers? or use pyromancy since that doesn't scale off anything

i mean ok, it is a harder game than most but the difficulty isn't really a mechanics thing. like you may need to learn some timing on like rolls and shit but other than that it's just memorizing attack patterns and learning to not be greedy

Miguel81

Thanks everybody. All this talk about DS made me want trying again, so I'm totally gonna check everything out as soon as I will be able to actually play it for more than 10 mins before going to work.
Also I hope my Sixaxis with broken L2 (it just presses every now and then, veeeeeeery comfortable for games like DS :D ) won't be that much of a problem!

The Dualshock 3 A1 model controllers really helped me out with the game. The sticks are tighter, the buttons are more responsive, and the gioteck realtriggers are awesome. If you have the spare change, look into it.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I took your SpaceChem... to replace my copy which I gave to someone... it's the ciiiircle of steeaaammm~♪

Copons

The Dualshock 3 A1 model controllers really helped me out with the game. The sticks are tighter, the buttons are more responsive, and the gioteck realtriggers are awesome. If you have the spare change, look into it.

Eh, Dualshock 3 is bitchily expensive here.
On Amazon.it it's like 45€ (against the 20€ of the X360 pad). Not that I have the spare change at the moment - and the issue is annoying but not enough to justify me getting out 20+€. :D

Miguel81

Eh, Dualshock 3 is bitchily expensive here.
On Amazon.it it's like 45€ (against the 20€ of the X360 pad). Not that I have the spare change at the moment - and the issue is annoying but not enough to justify me getting out 20+€. :D

Got it, it was $35 = 25€ at best buy here awhile back. Crap($62), that is expensive. Sorry for ever mentioning it.

Caerith

So is it true people are getting VAC banned for graphic enhancing mod on DkS2? Any kind of mod supposedly...

Maybe?

Regarding the VAC bans, we will have more information in the coming days. Thank you for your patience.

I wonder what this will mean for DkS1 when (if?) it goes Steamworks. DkS2 is probably okay if you have to play vanilla, but the first game was only playable because of mods.

Knurek

I wonder what this will mean for DkS1 when (if?) it goes Steamworks. DkS2 is probably okay if you have to play vanilla, but the first game was only playable because of mods.

Well, it's not like you can't play the game offline, can you?

//EDIT:

Milamber, I hope you get a good birthday present this year. Maybe a translation for seminal Japanese work of art, Dosukebe Futanarikko ga Hitome wo Nusunde Oogoe de Senzuri ~ Asa kara Zusshiri ☆ Milk Pot 1.5L

//EDIT2

Oh, it's translated already. Figures. Give it a whirl, an experience one doesn't soon forget.

Milamber

Don't start making me regret not getting Dark Souls II over Watch_Dogs.

//EDIT:

Milamber, I hope you get a good birthday present this year. Maybe a translation for seminal Japanese work of art, Dosukebe Futanarikko ga Hitome wo Nusunde Oogoe de Senzuri ~ Asa kara Zusshiri ☆ Milk Pot 1.5L

//EDIT2

Oh, it's translated already. Figures. Give it a whirl, an experience one doesn't soon forget.

*Looks at tags*
FUTANARI
Hmm...

Happy birthday Milamber!
Happy Birthday Milamber.
Happy birthday Milamber!
Happy birthday, man! :D
Happy Birthday Milamber!! :D
Happy Birthday Sexy Seeker of Prey!
Happy birthday Milamber.
Thanks guys.

Dr Dogg

Don't start making me regret not getting Watch_Dogs over Dark Souls II.

What! haven't you seen the reviews? I think you made the right choice it must be terrible because someone who played 0.1 hours wrote a bad Steam review :p

Those things need some proper filtering methods to be every remotely worthwhile. Saying that you just wait until Watch_Dogs suffers the same fate. It's a shame games are marketed these days the same way as films as they are made and come together in very, very different ways that more often than not every bit of prerelease footage is either cherry picked or bullshit.

Oh and belated Happy Birthday by the way.

Milamber

What! haven't you seen the reviews? I think you made the right choice it must be terrible because someone who played 0.1 hours wrote a bad Steam review :p

Those things need some proper filtering methods to be every remotely worthwhile. Saying that you just wait until Watch_Dogs suffers the same fate. It's a shame games are marketed these days the same way as films as they are made and come together in very, very different ways that more often than not every bit of prerelease footage is either cherry picked or bullshit.

Oh and belated Happy Birthday by the way.

Whoops, I meant the other way around. I meant not getting Dark Souls II over Watch_Dogs.

Nzyme32

Happy birthday Milamber! May your next year be glorious!

So is it true people are getting VAC banned for graphic enhancing mod on DkS2? Any kind of mod supposedly...

No, if you are already VAC banned from another game, you can't play dark souls 2 because of it.... for whatever reason that is

https://twitter.com/ValveTime/status/460834783267151872

hmmm. There's probably still time to finalize this? Even if no Source 2 and L4D, surely they would like to demo the controller with the audience there at least. Or maybe they got discouraged by their former public demos? :p

They have to do something, and my top answer is still that they do their own event. Or they'll delay everything :p

H13

Hey guys,
I would like to ask anyone who have a Hotmail account as a main.
have any of you not receive any steam verification code recently?
nothing on my email, my junk .

I don't think they can afford a delay (Valve Time or not). Not this time. Their hardware partners have their stuff lined up for this year, the general public expects it to hit this year, so would Valve really come out and say "Well, the controller and OS still needs some work. Stay tuned for next year!"? No one would take them seriously afterwards (dear lord, I can already see the GAF threads...).

They should definitely start talking about stuff though. Like soon (not Valve "soon") and frequently. On the surface they've been handling this initiative so non-chalantly, that frankly it doesn't fill me with much confidence right now.

Knurek

They should definitely start talking about stuff though. Like soon (not Valve "soon") and frequently. On the surface they've been handling this initiative so non-chalantly, that frankly it doesn't fill me with much confidence right now.

Genuinely curious how soon we will have a Valve 'the emperor has no clothes' moment.

Copons

Kind of disappointing that we're 6 hours shy to the next major Humble Bundle and no one already mentioned how this is finally the moment of the huge Humble Capcom Bundle everybody is waiting for since the good old HIB1 days.

Dr Dogg

Pssh you're all wrong. It's going to be a Microsoft Bundle with GFWL only games with all the keys invalid and all you get it a insincere apology when contacting support.

It will be an XSEED bundle. For $20 you gain access to the Trails in the Sky 1 Beta.

On a less jokey note TiTS better be worth the wait on PC. Had a PSP copy for donkeys years and been tempted to pick it up on a PSN sale for my Vita for a while now.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
It's going to be the "Lost games" bundle

NOLF, AvP2, Neverhood, Heretic 2 and Grim Fandango!
Stop messing around with my emotions.
It's never gonna happen, you know it and now i'm all grumpy. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom