• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2014 - Insert witty title here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Faabulous

Wow, I came to lurk and then suddenly the thread is monthly.

Cool layout! Would be nice if there were release prices next to the name of the recommended games.

Knurek

MrOrange, maybe it would be better to also have a recap of notable games released in previous month? Not all of us can afford to buy games day one. :)

Speaking of not buying games, Enslaved:
enslavedp3stt.png

Got this game off of Jawmuncher's 'draw a dinosaur day' giveaway, and I managed to clear it and DLC expansions yesterday.

Well... It's a solid autoplatformer. Nothing groundbreaking, but if you're not averse to games like Prince of Persia 2008 or Uncharted, you might find the game to your liking as well. Funnily enough, the platforming segments are even less interactive than widely panned PoP2008 (single button+stick for directional input).

The environments, especially in the opening chapters were simply beautiful. Great use of color, lush vegetation, decayed civilization. Personally, out of all UE3 games I've played so far, I believe only Spec Ops: The Line could top this game graphic/design-wise. It gets minus points for some rather questionable texture work (at times you would think UE3 glitched out and stopped loading mip-maps of the texture after the first one) and the later levels, especially the junkyard ones, which simply didn't look as nice as the opening segments.

Story was... there, I guess. Doesn't make much sense if you try to piece it together, but oh well. It's an action video game, if I wanted a story that wouldn't insult my intelligence I'd read a novel. Characters were all right, mocap work very impressive.

Unfortunately, where Spec Ops was a really solid, (un)pleasant experience, I can't say Enslaved was as stress free. There is a well known bug with the game, which results in it freezing randomly once in a while. I'm not sure if you can call it stuttering when the freeze can last up to 30 seconds, and can be almost immediately followed by another one lasting as long. Also, shadows during cutscenes were beyond broken for me, and looked like this:

As you can imagine, this completely kills immersion, and is downright infuriating if you're hit with this during a fight or a timed platforming section. I hope my neighbors won't think badly of me now, with the amount of swearwords I uttered while playing (or rather waiting to play) the game.

DLC was a completely separate thing, both story and gameplay-wise. And I do mean separate, where the main game had mostly QTE, platforming, fights and bits of shooting, DLC is pretty much a cover-based forced-stealth puzzle game. Reminded me more of an Oddworld game, truth be told. Later sections devolved into shooting galleries, which is a bummer.

Overall, both the main scenario and DLC are a good way to spend a few hours. Your enjoyment of it will be largely dependent on how much the bug I mentioned will affect you, and, well, how much you like interactive movies.

Price I'd pay for the game and wouldn't feel ripped off? $3.75 tops.

So this is the thread we'll be in when DS2 hits. Who's got it pre-ordered? Went with Nuuvem.

It's going to be a very interesting couple of months going forward as GFWL shutdown date is rapidly approaching.

Going to be riveting to see which companies go into scramble mode and which just don't give a fuck.
I guess Epic/EA were first to throw their hats into the latter camp.

Still waiting on the DS removal....sad

Man, is there any way to activate games on your account without the desktop program? Specifically through the mobile site? I don't have any way to activate the games I've won through giveaways until this weekend at the earliest. :(

nope. Desktop client only. Really sucks.

Arthea

I'll make it easier to guess next year, I promise!
anyway there are 3 more keys to be had, I'm not sure about 2 of them, are they used or not, so no modbot, just quote this post if you wanna try and see, state which one game you want.

gone
Bridge Project
(this should be OK, as person who won it already had a game)

these two I'm not sure about, these might have been used already:
Hero Siege
gone

edited: one more added

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
RE: Modbot, once Modbot takes one key from a giveaway, it saves the URL it has to edit. So if you repost the rest of the keys, they'll only be edited out of the original post, not the repost. Reposting before Modbot edits anything is fine, because it doesn't have a saved URL.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
anyway there are 3 more keys to be had, I'm not sure about 2 of them, are they used or not, so no modbot, just quote this post if you wanna try and see, state which one game you want.

Shattered Haven

Hero Siege
Love

I'll take Shattered Heaven

Shattered Haven

Hero Siege
Love

I'll take Love.

Salsa

PayDay 2 is getting some massive free updates

also this was pretty good

Heisters,

It seems that the police together with Gensec have gone all out in their efforts to stop us from heisting. Below we share the little information we've gathered from these new enemies.

Introducing the Mirror Shield
Using the latest Gensec developed L.I.N.K. technology, the new Mirror Shields will be able to reflect any projectiles that are shot at them. Also, trying to melee the shield will make you melee yourself.

MirrorShield.png

Introducing the Cloaker Cloaker
The Cloaker Cloaker has taken stealth to a completely new level. Instead of running, the CC's use a special device to teleport themselves to any destination of their choosing. The sound effect they transmit has also been increased to be louder.

CloakerCloaker.png

Introducing the Titandozer
The Titandozer will be your biggest challenge yet, literally. Standing taller than most buildings in Washington D.C., the Titandozer is armed with a titan armor and heavy machinery.

Titandozer.png

The release of these three new law enforcers is to be announced, although it will most likely be overpriced DLC.

I like overkill

I need to get back to it

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
New thread sure looks nice. Going to grab the Humble Bundle tonight for $1, along with Stevie Nicks Goat Simulator.

Arthea

RE: Modbot, once Modbot takes one key from a giveaway, it saves the URL it has to edit. So if you repost the rest of the keys, they'll only be edited out of the original post, not the repost. Reposting before Modbot edits anything is fine, because it doesn't have a saved URL.

Thanks for explaining this.

derExperte

Last batch....

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

vRvbDCu.png
Burnout Paradise: The Ultimate Box Origin Key -- MB-62211CAACCBB36A4
Mirror's Edge Steam Key -- MB-D0E7EA8FC67EBC1F - Taken by DJSebolski
Dead Space Steam Key -- MB-9D2C120CB3D9A741
Crysis 2 Maximum Edition Origin Key -- MB-24BC01EC152C3D36 - Taken by CrunchyFrog

C2 is Origin despite no symbol.

Tizoc

Reminder of my giveaway!
ModBot 3 said:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Offspring Fling -- MB-1F1D6D47FB6D8F76
Magical Diary -- MB-81D5DCA626138264
NEO Scavenger -- MB-97FD4FEABB4B0EED - Taken by 73V3N

t1396461958z1.png

Nzyme32

X05, thank you so much for supreme commander. I've been a long time TA fan and supcom retail owner, just not via steam. The convenience of a steam version will no doubt have me hooked all over again!

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
X05, thank you so much for supreme commander. I've been a long time TA fan and supcom retail owner, just not via steam. The convenience of a steam version will no doubt have me hooked all over again!

I think supcom retail keys register on Steam. You also get the Gold Edition which includes the expansion

Tame

Around $35 for Titanfall

just checked, looks like Origin Mexico changed its payment currency to US Dollars (unless theres a currency change option i havent seen. Its now showing for 40 bucks

thank goodness i got in when it was still pesos and i got Titanfall and season pass for 28 quid

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.

Alien Spidy -- MB-1D6B2987B13CBF8F

Thank Dusk Golem... Thanks Dusk Golem!!

ModBot said:
Dusk Golem gave me a Steam key so I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:

Interstellar Marines -- MB-C730CB615DBB1F7F - Taken by zkylon

via Arthea
ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:

sangfroid- -- MB-4D90D2AC180A34C2 - Taken by EdmondD

Tizoc

Well just used up all my GMG credit to get Moebius for effin' free, hopefully I can save up enough to trim down on the upcoming Tex Murphy game's price if it goes on sale on GMG =P

The last few threads have lasted 27-35 days before hitting 20k, so the transition made sense and brought Steam in line with how other digital platforms are dealt with. :)

Eh no worries boss man, it would be awesome if these threads reach 20,000 before the end of a month though XP

Some extras:
ModBot 3 said:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Broken Sword 2 -- MB-0299200D133439F5 - Taken by Saty. 5 entrants total.
Ravensword Shadowlands -- MB-C6C03D95F8D335D8 - Taken by Vecks. 1 entrants total.

t1396392210z1.png

Dambrosi

Banned
Thanks for the game Arthea, but...
Heal Cripple Blessing of the Silver last episode = Fester Mudd: Curse Of The Gold: Episode 1
...apparently, I already own it. Feel free to nuke the key, redistribute it, whatever.

Edit: Oh, and thanks to arts&crafts for Ethan The Meteor Hunter! Man, I'm getting lucky tonight!

Also, Shovel Knight is out this month?! I've been waiting for this game for ages!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom