• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2017 - Toot toot, Cold Steel Warrior, shaka brah

Status
Not open for further replies.

pislit

Siri, enhance

UJXeE7K.png

Is that Klay Thompson?

Teggy

Oh right, Ys VIII is out next month. Neat.

I was thinking I was going to get Ys VIII, but playing Celceta right now and seeing it looks like a slightly improved version I think I will pass. Part of why I am kind of meh on it is some of the annoying ways they give you busywork to get the story, which maybe they've fixed, but I think what is bugging me is the lack of loot. It has the feel of a hack and slash game but there is no reward to all that slashing. I guess I'll see what reviews say.

preta

I was thinking I was going to get Ys VIII, but playing Celceta right now and seeing it looks like a slightly improved version I think I will pass. Part of why I am kind of meh on it is some of the annoying ways they give you busywork to get the story, which maybe they've fixed, but I think what is bugging me is the lack of loot. It has the feel of a hack and slash game but there is no reward to all that slashing. I guess I'll see what reviews say.

Celceta and VIII are worlds apart in quality. VIII takes everything Falcom tried to accomplish story and gameplay-wise in Seven and Celceta (along with a lot of new stuff of course) and does it all much better than either of those games. It's my favorite Ys game and one of the best games I've played in a long time, and I'm someone who thought Celceta was on the lower end of the series.

As for loot - it's just not really a part of the series, so if you're looking for it in Ys, you'll always be disappointed. The best you'll get in any game is materials to upgrade or craft items or gear.

Ascheroth

The import thread has been very positive from what I've seen.

Personally I'll be playing Seven before it, though, as I haven't played a single Ys game with party yet - unless I'll get into the VIII beta :p

Teggy

Celceta and VIII are worlds apart in quality. VIII takes everything Falcom tried to accomplish story and gameplay-wise in Seven and Celceta (along with a lot of new stuff of course) and does it all much better than either of those games. It's my favorite Ys game and one of the best games I've played in a long time, and I'm someone who thought Celceta was on the lower end of the series.

As for loot - it's just not really a part of the series, so if you're looking for it in Ys, you'll always be disappointed. The best you'll get in any game is materials to upgrade or craft items or gear.

Hm...ok. The crafting is pretty cool although a bit frustrating in Celceta because unless you super max out a weapon you're going to hit a town pretty soon that sells a better weapon. I get the feeling that they intend for you to play the game on hard or nightmare given that you can get along pretty well in normal by hacking away and occasional use of skills if you keep your weapons and armor current.

Pachimari

I think there's a lot of interesting games coming out next month, although I'm not buying any. That said, I've finally started playing some games I already own which had just been lying around in my library.

Mafia III (fuck Marcano), Planet Coaster, Overwatch (gonna play my 10 placement matches and Lucio ball today before it goes away tonight), Stardew Valley (holy shit this one's gonna be special I can feel) and the freaking Prey demo damn now I want the full game. I've noticed I've really come away liking many if not all of Bethesda's games (I own but haven't played Fallout 4 yet), and I should see if I can't play through The Evil Within this week, although I get scared easily - really I'm very sensitive to such horrific stuff lol.

Btw, how do I take care of these Typhons in Prey? I am hiding behind desks like crazy while reading people's emails with one eye and keeping another eye on them horrifying monsters. So I use my goocanon to stop them and then hack away at them with my wrench? I think I tried this but they don't stay glued for long.

preta

Hm...ok. The crafting is pretty cool although a bit frustrating in Celceta because unless you super max out a weapon you're going to hit a town pretty soon that sells a better weapon. I get the feeling that they intend for you to play the game on hard or nightmare given that you can get along pretty well in normal by hacking away and occasional use of skills if you keep your weapons and armor current.

I would certainly suggest that for VIII. I did my first playthrough on Nightmare and it felt like an appropriate difficulty. At least play on Hard - Normal would certainly be too easy.

Now Inferno, on the other hand, I would probably not recommend for a first playthrough.

MPBCxJn.png

🤷

Damn. According to Windows, my average monthly data usage is 100-200gb, and my PC is almost constantly being used. My wife use it all day and I use it all night. I coldn't imagine what I should do to reach that kind of monthly usage. Games are indeed much bigger nowadays, but I only install like 0-3 games in average.

Pixieking

Banned
Like, it depends where you are in the world. We lived in Jordan for 18 months, and whilst some apartment blocks in Amman had fibre, the suburbs were relegated to mobile internet - 3g up to LTE. We were on a plan that was the equivalent of $80 for 300gb a month.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Like, it depends where you are in the world. We lived in Jordan for 18 months, and whilst some apartment blocks in Amman had fibre, the suburbs were relegated to mobile internet - 3g up to LTE. We were on a plan that was the equivalent of $80 for 300gb a month.

That actually a little better than the ADSL plan I was on just sixish years ago ($90pm, 200GB). I don't miss those days at all.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
That actually a little better than the ADSL plan I was on just sixish years ago ($90pm, 200GB). I don't miss those days at all.

Of course hell on earth would have data caps.

Of course.

Monooboe

I have a 50mbit up and down right now and all I do is surf the web haha. At least all the anime pics and gifs on Steamgaf load fast for me.

Pixieking

Banned

Yeah, it's really not fun. In Malaysia currently, and we're lucky enough to be in a new apartment complex with fibre. Crappy speeds because we're on the cheapest plan (600KBs), but no cap! Sooooo much better. :D

Monooboe

Would an USB 3 external harddrive be fast enough to store ones Steam games and run them from it? Sure loading probably is abit longer but would there be problems ingame?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Would an USB 3 external harddrive be fast enough to store ones Steam games and run them from it? Sure loading probably is abit longer but would there be problems ingame?

Games that make liberal use of data streaming might be noticeably worse off, but other than that there's nothing worth worrying about.

Monooboe

Games that make liberal use of data streaming might be noticeably worse off, but other than that there's nothing worth worrying about.

Then I think I will fill up one of my drives with games to just have access to them when I set out into the world. Also 1tb usb drives are quite cheap now.

I remember back in my mmo days, I always bring a couple of 16gb USB chips with me so that I can play certain games in any net cafe. Lots of mmos don't require installation so it was plug and play. And it was perfectly fine. Not sure how that compares to non-mmos though.

Jadax

I just keep a small external ssd for such things. Bit of an expensive investment, but one that should last for a while (or until the next big improvement comes along).

USB 3 should work too (that's how I used to play css a few years back when we used to do lan nights).

Monooboe

I remember back in my mmo days, I always bring a couple of 16gb USB chips with me so that I can play certain games in any net cafe. Lots of mmos don't require installation so it was plug and play. And it was perfectly fine. Not sure how that compares to non-mmos though.

Ah yeah that's actually a good idea, maybe not internet cafes, but borrowing a friends computer and logging in with ones steam account and then playing from own drive.

I just keep a small external ssd for such things. Bit of an expensive investment, but one that should last for a while (or until the next big improvement comes along).

USB 3 should work too (that's how I used to play css a few years back when we used to do lan nights).

Ah yeah SSD and USB3 should be optimal, I need to check prices and see if I should go that route instead.

Ludens

Banned
Just done Tender Loving Care.
The "game" is just terrible...I mean, it's not even a game, it just asks you dumb question and, I suppose, the story goes accordingly. I got also a bad ending, and I feel like I wasted three hours of my life on this plus 2.50€.

One of the worst FMV game I ever played.

Ludens

Banned
No Steam key for Tiny Echos.

This is just ridiculous. I think until now Humble users just got what, a couple of Steam keys out of all the Originals released?
In this case apparently the game is even the same (not a director's cut/redux/extended edition).

Ludens

Banned
ModBot said:
Instructions for Ludens:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Ludens, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Deep Rock Galactic for beta testing -- MB-49D7FDAA31BCE12F - Taken by The_Super_Inframan. 5 entrants total.

t1503929987z1.png

Pachimari

Oh damn, I just discovered Tobii Eye Tracker and see they got a new version out. Now I'm contemplating getting that to use in some games like Euro Truck 2, F1 2017, The Forest etc., I just wish I could use it with Project Cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom