• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Community -- NOW.

Mrbob

UPDATE:

Steam Community beta is now live.

https://steamcommunity.com/ -- Set up a Steam Community ID

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/neogaf -- Join the NeoGAF group

Set up Steam Community within your Steam client: within steam, file --> settings ---> beta participation.

Valve is firing a shot at MS in a BIG WAY.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=162953&site=pcg

Good read about the Valve development mindset, but the good stuff is about Steam Community.

So how do these hedonistic game gurus want to change the way we play games online? They want to make it more sociable. Right now most players double-click a server and play with strangers for an hour or two, then never see them again. Valve's latest big announcement, The Steam Community, will encourage you to play with friends, and make new ones.

The headline feature is one-click matchmaking, both for new games and existing ones such as Counter-Strike. You'll be able to jump straight into a game with players of your skill level, with no history of griefing, by pressing a single button. It also lets you form a party with your friends, and automatically find a game that you can all jump into and play together. There are parallels to Microsoft's Live service, obviously, but the differences are heavily in Steam's favour. You need the £40-a-year Gold subscription to get Live's matchmaking, whereas Steam's is free, and it'll be supported by masses of our favourite games from day one.

The 'Community' part comes in when you form or join groups, like the PC Gamer UK Group we'll be setting up. Members can see when others are playing a game, join them, or schedule a match for a specific date and time. They'll also have a dedicated chat channel to talk to each other on regardless of what game they're playing, even between rounds.

Lastly, but perhaps most visibly, Steam Community gives you a personal gamer page that's accessible via the web, with embarrassingly detailed stats about what you play, how much you play it, and what kind of player you are. It even highlights noteworthy trends - the example we saw told the user "You like playing as a Boomer. Sometimes you (accidentally?) shoot your fellow Survivors."

It is like Xbox live, but free. And it sounds like it even has a more detailed profile page than what Xbox Live offers. Steam community is the next big thing in online PC gaming. Adios Windows Live!

fernoca

Well, I guess Microsoft is going to shutdown their servers and give refunds to everyone..starting tomorrow.
I mean..

This..is..the..END!!!

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
meh, I don't know any PC gamer who would want matchmaking over a server list but okay.

Windows Live = DOA

fernoca

WickedAngel said:
They'll eventually make XBL free and simply rape more on microtransactions.
Now that's what I'd like!!! :)

Oh..
Ooops..sorry..bolded the wrong word...

WickedAngel said:
They'll eventually make XBL free and simply rape more on microtransactions.
There. :)

dfyb

Banned
TemplaerDude said:
okay guys we get it, steam is going after xbl or whatever. every steam thread has said this now. can we please stop saying it.
what are you crying for?

if you like paying for shit you don't need to pay for, i have a paypal account you would find very accepting.

dfyb said:
what are you crying for?

if you like paying for shit you don't need to pay for, i have a paypal account you would find very accepting.

who me?

i don't own an xbox nor pay for xbox live. shut your fanboy trap.

FightyF

Banned
This is great, hopefully puts pressure on MS to make Live free.

I'm sorry but Sony's PSN doesn't even compare and thus it didn't put any pressure on MS. This, on the other hand, looks to be the PC equivalent of Live.

Older news-I remember posting this and then GFW Radio picking up on it-but man, as a casual online FPS fan (BF2/2142, getting into Red Orchestra lately) being able to hop into a game that I only have medium skill in (for example, CS:S) and having people of near-equal skill is a pretty darn huge feature.

BTW, Steam has Geometry Wars up for $2.50 and a notice that current/new WTCC owners for the next week will get that game's mini-expansion for free. Awesome!

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
TemplaerDude said:
who me?

i don't own an xbox nor pay for xbox live. shut your fanboy trap.

what? then why did you post this in the Gears thread...

TemplaerDude said:
ughhhh rooftops is the worst map for hammer spammers. i just got lipped off by an 11 year old. i hate hammer spammers!

jaypah

TemplaerDude said:
okay guys we get it, steam is going after xbl or whatever. every steam thread has said this now. can we please stop saying it.

i say scream it from the rafters! MS could stand to learn a thing or 2 regarding XBL. nothing's perfect and i'd like to see as much innovation as possible. plus i'd like live to be freeer. that is to say, more free. well actually i just mean free :(

saelz8

Fragamemnon said:
BTW, Steam has Geometry Wars up for $2.50 and a notice that current/new WTCC owners for the next week will get that game's mini-expansion for free. Awesome!
**** yes!

$2.50

How can anyone say no?

*Bought

Cheeto

Cerrius said:
meh, I don't know any PC gamer who would want matchmaking over a server list but okay.
Meet me, I like party systems, matchmaking, long walks on the beach, etc.

F*** YA STEAM!!

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Windows live was always going to be an epic fail. I have no idea why some of you are saying that this is a shot at XBL though. :lol

Pretty awesome news. Counter-Strike original is nearly unplayable for someone like me who never played it that much to begin with but this could really refresh the Valve titles. Valve not only set the initial precedent for DD but continues to raise the bar as the service gets older. Really commendable effort on Valve's part.

dfyb

Banned
Cerrius said:

Windows Live = DOA
i have a feeling "expanding customer base" ran through their minds... at least once.

aeolist

Banned
Fragamemnon said:
WTF how the hell did I miss this?

BOUGHT

Kittonwy

Banned
Router said:
Windows live was always going to be an epic fail. I have no idea why some of you are saying that this is a shot at XBL though. :lol

Depends on which games are supported by windows live and which games are supported by Steam, MS probably can exert pressure on publishers to work with windows live, afterall PC games aren't called PC games anymore, they're called Games For Windows, but obviously this development does put a dent in MS's plans for Windows Live to essentially make PC games "Games For Windows/Windows Live Games", I don't see MS giving up without a fight, will Steam even work with Halo 2 GFW?

"BTW, Steam has Geometry Wars up for $2.50 and a notice that current/new WTCC owners for the next week will get that game's mini-expansion for free. Awesome!"

2.50$? Wait, GeoWars isn't Vista only is it? I want to recall it having achievements and stuff. And now I have to buy Race.

Edit: It appears it works on XP. BOUGHT.

Top Bottom