• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Community -- NOW.

dfyb

Banned
Kittonwy said:
Depends on which games are supported by windows live and which games are supported by Steam, MS probably can exert pressure on publishers to work with windows live, afterall PC games aren't called PC games anymore, they're called Games For Windows, but obviously this development does put a dent in MS's plans for Windows Live to essentially make PC games "Games For Windows/Windows Live Games", I don't see MS giving up without a fight, will Steam even work with Halo 2 GFW?
games for windows is not required to be a PC game. being a games for windows game means you have to let microsoft aprove games and patches etc, like XBL. games for windows means you can't have online play with other consoles (except 360 over their pay service) or even macs. you can make a PC game and it doesn't have to be a games for windows game.

steam doesn't have to work with games for windows. developers put their games on steam. more and more developers are onboard with steam (capcom is on now, so you have lost planet, devil may cry 3 (and upcoming 4) and more). steam isn't just valve. steam is a platform where all PC games can potentially call their home. it's already a more robust network of games and services than games for windows and steam is less restrictive.

"I don't see MS giving up without a fight, will Steam even work with Halo 2 GFW?"

Not many PC gamers are particularly interested in Halo 2 because it has ridiculously high system requirements for what it looks like and it's Vista only. MS, short of future releases of their best selling games (Age of Empires, Flight Simulator), don't really have anything that can compete with the combined weight of Valve's games and the dozens of publishers (major and indie) on board.

Kittonwy

Banned
dfyb said:
games for windows is not required to be a PC game. being a games for windows game means you have to let microsoft aprove games and patches etc, like XBL. games for windows means you can't have online play with other consoles (except 360 over their pay service) or even macs. you can make a PC game and it doesn't have to be a games for windows game.

steam doesn't have to work with games for windows. developers put their games on steam. more and more developers are onboard with steam (capcom is on now, so you have lost planet, devil may cry 3 (and upcoming 4) and more). steam isn't just valve. steam is a platform where all PC games can potentially call their home. it's already a more robust network of games and services than games for windows and steam is less restrictive.

I understand developers/publishers can put their games on steam, but how come when I go to EB games, the PC section is called Games For Windows now? What's up with that? And isn't MS going to fight hard with Valve over this? It's clear they want to push Live on the PC community, and unify PC and xbox over XBL. MS isn't going to take this lying down.

Indifferent2.gif

Slavik81

I really kind of wish Blizzard would move to Steam. Their patching system is God-awful and would REALLY be improved if it autopatched the way Steam games do...

Cheeto

Teknopathetic said:
Not many PC gamers are particularly interested in Halo 2 because it has ridiculously high system requirements for what it looks like and it's Vista only. MS, short of future releases of their best selling games (Age of Empires, Flight Simulator), don't really have anything that can compete with the combined weight of Valve's games and the dozens of publishers (major and indie) on board.
Take that and add in Valve's rather "open" attitude towards the software it allows on their service, compared to Microsoft's very closed and controlled nature.

Kittonwy

Banned
Teknopathetic said:
"I don't see MS giving up without a fight, will Steam even work with Halo 2 GFW?"

So are you suggesting that their move away from the formerly PC-centric Ed Fries-lead MS Games Division has resulted in their weakened position in terms of leveraging their IPs on the PC platform, the kind of leverage they needed to push Windows Live?

Kittonwy said:
So are you suggesting that their move away from the formerly PC-centric Ed Fries-lead MS Games Division has resulted in their weakened position in terms of leveraging their IPs on the PC platform, the kind of leverage they needed to push Windows Live?

Microsoft's IP holdings on the PC are still very strong, but PC gaming is so fragmented and partisan that not even they, at their height, were calling the shots for the platform. The problem is that their developer relations with Live for Windows have been terribly managed-MS wants a degree of strictness in the Live for Windows service that developers and publishers can't give up without a huge loss in business, and Microsoft's initial toolset and features have been very, very lacking.

Valve has been working with and perfecting Steam for over three years now. Microsoft has has been working for Live for Windows for maybe over a year now. Their differences in attitude couldn't be different, and the maturity of the software with Steam is light-years past Valve.

MS missed the boat big time on this one. They can right the ship, but to do so successfully would impact their Xbox Live business and revenue models dramatically.

Aegus

Steam is now probably the most vital piece of software (excluding the OS) that I have on my PC. I wish every game was but a click away without installation worries.

vdo

I had heard about Steam so much, but now hearing that Geometry Wars is available I thought I'd try it out. I like being able to play these smaller games without having to buy an expensive next gen console just to do it. I hope this continues.

jedimike

I see XBL being so much more than gaming... the marketplace stuff, the movie service, and soon IPTV. Steam is great for gaming, XBL is great for multimedia, which includes games.

... the XBL fee based model is here to stay.

"I see XBL being so much more than gaming... the marketplace stuff, the movie service, and soon IPTV. Steam is great for gaming, XBL is great for multimedia, which includes games.

... the XBL fee based model is here to stay."

As XBL, yes. GFWL is the one that's in trouble.

Oh man if Gametap and Steam united.

distrbnce

Banned
Yeah, so this interview is well over a month old.

Boo for getting my hopes up... I even restarted steam when I read the title :/

soco

yay!

i've figured for a long time they'd be making xbl free, hopefully this'll just speed things up a bit.

Heh, I don't know spit about what Steam can do because everytime I load it up there's a stream of invite spam and it makes me not want to use it, which I proceed to do.

Just for kicks I'll get on now and see whats I get offered...

There's Chuck! And g0re5eX, yay. GapnA#5, can just guess what thats supposed to mean.... Jesus, who knows how long that list is. I went through 7-8 before Xing out. I wonder how many princes of Nigeria I just shot down. Getting bundles of unrecognizeable spam really isn't how a system gains my trust enough to get credit card information.

dfyb

Banned
Son of Godzilla said:
Heh, I don't know spit about what Steam can do because everytime I load it up there's a stream of invite spam and it makes me not want to use it, which I proceed to do.

There's Chuck! And g0re5eX, yay. GapnA#5, can just guess what thats supposed to mean.... Jesus, who knows how long that list is. I went through 7-8 before Xing out. I wonder how many princes of Nigeria I just shot down. Getting bundles of unrecognizeable spam really isn't how a system gains my trust enough to get credit card information.
i don't even know what you're talking about. i've been on steam since day 1 of the beta and i have never recieved spam.

edit: i wanna see a screenshot

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Son of Godzilla said:

Er...that has yet to happen to me. Have you posted your Steam ID anywhere out of the norm?

Teknopathetic said:
That's really odd, Son of Godzilla, because I've never gotten an invite from someone I don't know/wasn't expecting.

Ever.

Not sure what you did wrong Godzilla. I never get any spam.

Speevy

Banned
Razoric said:
You might want to check Steam accounts vs XBL Silver/Gold accounts. Let me know how that works out for you.

That's not the same thing, is it?

I mean, it might be fairer to compare like 50 top console games in a year to every single PC game released in that same year?

Holy damn I really need to build a computer once I get to Japan and save up some money.

Steam has always been amazing and this just means it can only get better.

dfyb

Banned
Speevy said:
That's not the same thing, is it?

I mean, it might be fairer to compare like 50 top console games in a year to every single PC game released in that same year?
that isn't the point. he was implying steam can't make a difference because PC gaming is dead and console services like xbox live are the future, and steam having almost 6x the playable userbase as xbox live pretty much stomps that statement's face in and then viciously grinds it into the pavement.

Firestorm

Heh. I should fire the thing up again... but I don't think it'd be a good idea. Don't want to get hooked on CS again. Last time that happened was during my provincial exams at the end of grade 12. Not a good time.

Borys

Banned
Teknopathetic said:
"BTW, Steam has Geometry Wars up for $2.50 and a notice that current/new WTCC owners for the next week will get that game's mini-expansion for free. Awesome!"

2.50$? Wait, GeoWars isn't Vista only is it? I want to recall it having achievements and stuff. And now I have to buy Race.

Edit: It appears it works on XP. BOUGHT.

Wait, you are red?

EXCELLENT, another PC gamer MOD.

NEOGAF RULES

ORANGUTAN

Banned
Valve are ****ing pioneers. PC gaming really is the true next-gen we've all been waiting for. Disappointment is all that consoles have brought us so far this gen (360 with its failure rates and marketplace nickel & diming, PS3 price, lack of games, etc., Wii no comment for fear of ban).

luffeN

i thought i read that description of matchmaking somewhere before.. i think it was in one of the left 4 dead previews, but i could be wrong. this is pretty cool

Top Bottom