• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Community -- NOW.

Flo_Evans

you know, I was pretty anti-steam at first (bought a retail copy of HL2) but being able to DL it at work thru my steam account and play a quick match is pretty ****ing cool. Digital distribution future!! (as long as I have a disc somewhere I don't mind!) :D

DJ Sl4m

ORANGUTAN said:
Disappointment is all that consoles have brought us so far this gen (360 with its failure rates and marketplace nickel & diming, PS3 price, lack of games, etc., Wii lack of games & Xbox 1 graphic capabilities.)

Yea no doubt it's been a ****ed up start this gen.
I would love to see Valve license their online set up to Sony & Nintendo for the PS3 & Wii.

Nester

I'd really like to enter a CD Key for a non Steam game into my Steam database such as BF2142 and have access to it anytime I format and have to reinstall games, even if I have to do it off a disc. I lost my BF2 cd key for a few weeks during a move and it would have come in handy, plus less paperwork to keep laying around.

Cheeto

SpeedRazor said:
I'd really like to enter a CD Key for a non Steam game into my Steam database such as BF2142 and have access to it anytime I format and have to reinstall games, even if I have to do it off a disc. I lost my BF2 cd key for a few weeks during a move and it would have come in handy, plus less paperwork to keep laying around.
I lost a CD-Key to BF2142 before, you know what I did...
bought it again :(

I think that's why EA does it like that.

SpeedRazor said:

yeah...you can do that with games you've bought previously that came out on steam...but it only works if you send them a proof of your purchase...which is a pain in the ass

Daigoro

Steam is GOD.

and those Left4Dead screen made my dick hard. cant wait for that game.

im firing up Steam tonight for Geo Wars.

Barnolde

Banned
ElectricBlue187 said:
yeah...you can do that with games you've bought previously that came out on steam...but it only works if you send them a proof of your purchase...which is a pain in the ass

Yeah, I had a legit CD key for CoD1, which worked when I entered it. But entering it during Steam caused an error and wouldn't get approved. It's not even worth it to send them a proof of purchase, since I bought it second hand and it's the Mac version.

FightyF

Banned
Powerslave said:
I remember back when everybody hated Steam.

Not me. I was one of those guys who had issues with it (ie. real hardware issues), but loved it since I had multiple PCs in different cities and I could play the same games on both. I also liked the whole idea of a friend's list and all that jazz, especially since I play games like Front Line Force that thrive on a small community of players.

There were a couple other guys here too who defended it as well. But yeah, there was a lot of Steam hate...but it wasn't unfounded, it didn't run as well as it does now.

Gattsu25

Banned
Powerslave said:
I remember back when everybody hated Steam.
Steam came a long way since those days. I reinstalled Steam when SiN came out for it and was pleasantly surprised at how efficient it was, and it's only become better since then. This, I wasn't even expecting. The matchmaking sounds great, as does the out of print library comment

saelz8

Friday, June 22 2007

For some time now, we've been working on new Steam features that make it a lot easier to play games with friends. This week, we announced The Steam Community, bringing the features one step closer to a Steam client near you. Over the next few weeks we'll reveal more details and, in July, the beta version of the Steam Community will give you a chance to explore the features for yourself.

Expect more news soon

saelz8

My friends list has been going on and offline today at random intervals

And now
Steam client update released
July 26, 2007, 5:00 pm - Jason Ruymen

Updates to the Steam Client have been released. The updates will be applied automatically when your Steam client is restarted. The specific changes include:

Steam Client
System maintenance

Small tremors

It's coming

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I remember a time when starting up Steam was a ritual. You had to sacrifice a cute puppy as an offering to the gods in hopes that it wouldn't crash your computer and might actually work.

Now it's saving PC gaming.

Boy how times have changed.

Tokubetsu

ZealousD said:
I remember a time when starting up Steam was a ritual. You had to sacrifice a cute puppy as an offering to the gods in hopes that it wouldn't crash your computer and might actually work.

Now it's saving PC gaming.

Boy how times have changed.

It's all those puppies we sacrificed. It wasn't to start up steam or prevent a crash, we were doing it for future generations so they may know the glory of pc gaming.

Slavik81

Seeing this thread on the front page of GAF and having to download a Steam update made me get my hopes up. I hate you, GAF. I hate you so much...

saelz8

Slavik81 said:
Seeing this thread on the front page of GAF and having to download a Steam update made me get my hopes up. I hate you, GAF. I hate you so much...
Haha, sorry. It's just that it's the end of July, and we got a community message on the 20th reaffirming that everything was right on track and that they were just polishing it up for a end of July release. It's the 26th/27th.

Then today, my friends list is acting all funny. We get a update for "System Maintenance", which hardly ever happens. Updates are usually always client side. So I'm guessing they are updating their end for a massive rollout.

I'm thinking on the 28th, Saturday.

nix_nz

Neo Member
The only real thing I dislike about PC gaming is worrying about system requirements all the time. If Steam had some kind of measurement / rating system like Vista does, and would tell me which games are going to run well and which are going to suck, I'd love it way more.

Hell, if most games had demos so I could try things out first, that'd be a good start... some do, but it's definitely not universal. Maybe that's way too much to ask. There must be some way to solve this performance issue, I'm sure some really smart people are working on it right now...

The M.O.B

nix_nz said:
The only real thing I dislike about PC gaming is worrying about system requirements all the time. If Steam had some kind of measurement / rating system like Vista does, and would tell me which games are going to run well and which are going to suck, I'd love it way more.

Hell, if most games had demos so I could try things out first, that'd be a good start... some do, but it's definitely not universal. Maybe that's way too much to ask. There must be some way to solve this performance issue, I'm sure some really smart people are working on it right now...

You could just go here

RumFore

Banned
nix_nz said:

Did you just get into PC gaming? Nearly every good game has a demo. Also its really not that hard to gauge if your system will be able to run a game. Just look at the requirements at any site as every PC game have them.

ElectricBlue187 said:
Not all games. They have to have a certain type of CD Key... think its a 5x5 code. Hopefully Steam and it's partners will introduce more options for it so people can add all of their games. EA games won't be coming for a looooong time. They are still trying to push their own system.
I still want Valve to implement a second hand sale feature in steam. If you want to sell a game you right click it in your steam account and click an option for a "Sale Key Generation" which would generate a unique key for that game on your account. If you sell the game s/h you send this key to the person, they input it in their steam client and the game registration transfers from your account to theirs. Wouldn't be too hard to do and would be a great feature.

nix_nz said:

Steam has Demo's for pretty much every game that you can buy on it. If you have a PC from the last 2/3 years then you'll be able to play any game around now, all be it at low detail.

A damn near bannable offense (maybe just a few hours lol) for bumping this thread without Community going live.

I can't wait.

EDIT: which would mean I have a ban coming...

Draft

nix_nz said:

That's really not a bad idea. Steam could use the system specs it gathers during surveys to inform you how a game would run on your system.

Kamakazie! said:
I still want Valve to implement a second hand sale feature in steam. If you want to sell a game you right click it in your steam account and click an option for a "Sale Key Generation" which would generate a unique key for that game on your account. If you sell the game s/h you send this key to the person, they input it in their steam client and the game registration transfers from your account to theirs. Wouldn't be too hard to do and would be a great feature.
If Steam isn't making any money of it, they're not going to bother.

Cheeto

What are the chances of seeing non-source games using this matchmaking/party system? Games such as UT3 or World in Conflict...they would really benefit from it.

Freki

The M.O.B said:
Steam has always been the best.
Now its just better

You obviously didn't use it in the beginning! Today its good but in its early days it was complete and utter shit (game activation problems; login problems; account validations problems; serverlist problems; ...) .

Zanboo

Puts the M in Member
WhatRuOn said:
What are the chances of seeing non-source games using this matchmaking/party system? Games such as UT3 or World in Conflict...they would really benefit from it.

WiC's backend community stuff is already very strong, I've been very impressed by it.

I really wish they would build a linux and/or mac steam client. That would provide developers more reason to create games compatible in those OS's, and down the line loosen the MS grip on PC gaming.

I'm no MS hater (surprisingly after the nightmare of trying to import my contacts to my windows mobile "smart"phone), but I think everyone could agree that the more support for mac and linux gaming, the better for everyone.

BTW, you can put me in the boat of a former steam hater, and I'm still unsure of the initiative but with MS pushing Live to pc users it's the lesser of two evils.

The M.O.B

Freki said:
You obviously didn't use it in the beginning! Today its good but in its early days it was complete and utter shit (game activation problems; login problems; account validations problems; serverlist problems; ...) .

I did,I guess I was just one of the lucky ones that didn't have many problems.Only problem I had was my Favorites list kept getting erased,I was quickly able to find the servers again though.

Edit: DOD:S is only $10 now?hmmm....I already have it preinstalled so this might be a buy for me.

Joe Molotov

Freki said:

After the first day or two when a million people were all trying to download/activate Half-Life 2 at the same time, I haven't really had any problems with Steam.

Proc

I've only had good experiences with steam. It even recognizes when my drivers are out of date. Good on you steam, good on you!

Top Bottom