• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Community -- NOW.

Dolphin

Banned
I love Steam, I hope more developers hop on board. I will never pay a monthly rate for anything related to videogaming. That is all.

guise

Holy shit.

I was planning on getting Left4Dead for 360 because of all the live matchmaking/friends list integration but if this is all going to be free on the PC I potentially might just buy both versions

FightyF

Banned
guise said:
Holy shit.

I was planning on getting Left4Dead for 360 because of all the live matchmaking/friends list integration but if this is all going to be free on the PC I potentially might just buy both versions

It all depends on how it runs on my PC. But if it runs great, I'll pick up the PC version easily.

Actually to be honest there's way too many games out this Fall...I may wait until I pick up L4D...but I would definitely consider the PC version as well.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Mrbob said:
Valve is firing a shot at MS in a BIG WAY.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=162953&site=pcg

Good read about the Valve development mindset, but the good stuff is about Steam Community.

It is like Xbox live, but free. And it sounds like it even has a more detailed profile page than what Xbox Live offers. Steam community is the next big thing in online PC gaming. Adios Windows Live!

Valve is taking over the internets confirmed, first they get a stupid amount of games on the service, then take the best bits of both gamespy arcade, and XBL, and make it totally free when you own the games, masterstroke.

maxmars

This is great news for PC gaming and I am very warmed up by the announcement.. I would almost reinstall Windows upon this announcement, if I could be bothered.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
My inner PC fanboy has been slowly waking up lately :) Some of the things I like most about the new consoles, e.g. downloadable games, are much more mature on PC, even if more scattered. I wasn't aware of how many (full) game download services there are out there. I haven't used Steam in quite some time, but I'm going to delve back in and have a look around.

Microsoft aren't going to react to this, as long as there are people willing to pay, and there are, then MS will keep a subscription service. I piss and moan all the time about the cost of sky movies and sport, or those downloadable movies that cost about a £5 a time, there's always some mug who'll pay that much so they keep the price there.

spwolf

i am sure that Steam will cater to its own audience who purchase games through steams and compete with GameSpy and xfire clients, and not live really... I mean live for windows is dead anyway so its competition are already working and successful clients in that space.

mandiller

Steam is brilliant. It has it's kinks like anything else but it does a great job. Hassle free game patching, installing, buying, downloading etc.

Basically all the PC games I play are on Steam. I just bought Trackmania United off it and I'm loving it.

More developers are jumping on board every day, if you don't use steam yet you're part of the problem (also you weird 'gametap' people......Steam has Sam & Max as well you know :) )

1-D_FTW

travisbickle said:
Microsoft aren't going to react to this, as long as there are people willing to pay, and there are, then MS will keep a subscription service. I piss and moan all the time about the cost of sky movies and sport, or those downloadable movies that cost about a £5 a time, there's always some mug who'll pay that much so they keep the price there.

PC gamers haven't shown any willingness to subscribe to LIVE (Unless they're already subscribing to LIVE for 360). I agree it's the reason MS won't be dropping LIVE costs anytime soon for 360 (Unless they need to eventually react to Sony's service). But let's not confuse the two.

mandiller said:
Steam is brilliant. It has it's kinks like anything else but it does a great job. Hassle free game patching, installing, buying, downloading etc.
I still think the best part about Steam is the ability to backup games. I reformat my PC at least once a year and it has always been a hassle getting my software installed, up and running. All I really have to do is either run restore or copy the files from the SteamApps folder. Then start up Steam and boom all my games are installed.

CoG

Cool. Now I don't have to upgrade to Vista to pay $50/year for half-baked online gaming. Thanks Uncle Gabe!

Ranger X

Go Steam!
PSN + Steam Community will probably give a chance for Xbox Live to become free. So that's a good thing. Microsoft should bend to the majority and stop charging us for what all the competition doesn't already.
This would also make a 360 even more interesting anyways.

pr0cs

This is great news, I hope Steam totally destroys Live for Windows. Microsoft needs to start making the Gold level service absolutely MUST HAVE for both XBOX and Windows and at this point (at least for Windows) it's a complete joke.

It's funny how some of the popular opinion of Steam has changed. I remember when HL2 was released and the bitching about Steam was ****ing near deafening. Now people love it like they like love ice cream.. pretty odd.

Although I definitely love Steam on the user-end for keeping all my video game program files organized and streamlining the buy process, the thing I love more about Steam and Valve is how kind they are to other developers. I don't think I've ever heard developers mention how awesome it is to work with Valve as a publisher, because every game that has used Source seems to be happy to be on board with Steam.

One of the recent examples I stumbled upon was how Postal 3 is going to be using Source. Vince Desidrio, the game's director, mentioned how new things were added to Source every week. He said that every time they thought of something they'd like in the engine, Valve would come by and tell them that they added it, before they even asked. On top of giving devs a stable and fully developed game engine, Valve also offers people the chance to publish their game on Steam, which has millions of users and insures a great install base for games just releasing. The amount of perks that seem to come from working with Valve appear endless.

On top of this all, Steam is a great way to show off indie games. One that springs to mind is Infernal. It looked cool but I didn't want to jump the gun and buy it, but then a demo for it came out, so I checked it out. Great game. It's like a hybrid of action-adventure/Soul Reaver-esque gameplay. I highly recommend it.

It's like every time I see a game that I know about get released on Steam, I'm happy to be a supporter. It used to be that only fellow Valve junkies used Steam, but now a good portion of PC gamers in general have Steam tucked away somewhere in their HDD.

All in all, the addition of things like the Steam Community makes me enjoy Steam even more. The thought of finally being able to hop into a game oh HL2: DM where the scores aren't ridiculously off-kilter, the guy in first being far and away ahead by like 100 kills than the guy in second.

I love the look of this, but I hope Valve extend this to other non-Steam games I have. Or of course, if Xfire introduces these features too. There's also that Gamespy Comrade thing which I haven't really looked at though I think some of the matchmaking and tournament features are paid for only - though at less than half the price of GFWL ($20 a year).

I love PC gaming. So much choice. So much cheaper (software wise at least).

Kittonwy

Banned
travisbickle said:

I agree, I don't see them making anything free in the short run, XBL subscription is a nice source of revenue for them, western developer and IP acquistion from the PC space would probably be better for them, that way if people want to play certain games online, they really don't have a choice but to pay to play it through Live, and they can control the platform the games are being released on as well as their release schedules.
Indifferent2.gif

rs7k

Good. Any pressure on Microsoft to realize they don't have a monopoly on gaming is good. I'm just starting now to see how paying for Live is ridiculous, even though I've done it since 2003. Home will provide a service that looks as complete as Live, if not more, and Steam looks like it's the exact same thing for free.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
XBOX Live will be included in a future windows update just like IM is done in the OS now. They will slide it in, it will be free for a period as well.. Microsoft are the kings of luring in the sheep.

The M.O.B said:
Steam has always been the best.

When Steam was just released it was very much reviled by almost everyone. Just a few years ago, requiring key-validation over the Internet every time you play the game was unheard of, and the source of many, many complaints about Steam.

It's just in the last 1-2 years, as Steam's game catalog has expanded and its performance improved, that people have started to warm to Steam.

saelz8

4lzhj04.jpg

521jqqr.jpg

First screens of some community features? Looks like it!

4vea03k.jpg

6b2rc51.jpg

523b1a9.jpg

Steam
-------

o More games from independents and publishers
- Simultaneous releases with retail
- Also out-of-print libraries
- capcom titles started this week

o Starting to get drivers onto Steam (ATI)

o Steam Community this summer (prior to Orange Box)
- Free addition to Steam driven by gamer feedback

Steam Identity
----------------

o Create Profile and Home page
- Preferences
- Affiliation
- Statistics

o Control Panel
- Public versus private
- Schedule
- Real-time status

o Revamped all the communications function to make it easier to play with your friends
- Find a friend
- See who's online or playing
- Invite Friends to chat or play
- Join a friend's game

Steam Community - Communications
----------------------------------

o Instant Messaging, integrated voice (finally), and chat rooms

o Works with non-Steam games

Steam Community - Affiliation
-------------------------------

o Join or create new groups

o Scheduling/Organizing tournaments and matches

Half-life 2 : Episode Two
---------------------------

o 5 Games, One Box

o Available on October 9

o More TF2 Movies

o Steam will have variety of offers

Source - http://www.flamehaus.com/bbs/2-vt124433.html?start=15

Steam community this summer!!

hyp

the more blows to windows live, the better. i hope it fails horribly. xbox live is okay, but it really needs to be free already.

saelz8

nataku said:
http://i12.tinypic.com/4vea03k.jpg

Works with non-Steam games? The community page feature? I wonder if it's kinda like X-fire, then.

EDIT: I see the edit by Quellex... sounds like it's just voice/messages then and not the game tracking I was hoping for. :(
I would think it works for tracking all games, not sure, I think you may be right though, as it's under the communication header. I highlighted voice because I think it's a pretty notable new feature, not to suggest it's only voice that supports all games. We'll see.

Considering this is public now, hopefully a mainstream site has more information soon.

Top Bottom