• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Community -- NOW.

meddow

Good job I say, as much as i love live i want ethier it to be free or some nice severs for halo 3.

I only play CSS and DODS on steam, still sounds great tho :D

While I do think it is coming tonight, don't rely on the friend's list not working as the basis for that. The friends list has been on and off for the past few days anyways (one being during that most recent update where it was pretty much nothing).

That said, I am SUPER excited for this and think it is one of the most important things to happen to PC gaming since Valve got Steam working the way it is now. All they have to do to have me happy for the rest of my life is restock their store!

FightyF

Banned
I was just thinking a few days ago...due to the new format of E3, Valve wasn't able to make a big public splash with the new features. I think they could have really gotten a lot of attention if the E3 was how it was like.

Aegus

Heh, It's really nice that I can now have all my non-steam games in the "My Games" tab now. Fancy shortcut manager ftw :lol

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Yea, mine crashes when adding a few games though (Eve and I hear WoW crashes it aswell). Hopefully this means a proper release is imminent.

Edit: Actually WoW adds fine, Eve crashes it though =(

Aegus

It took me a few goes to get Eve into it. Disabling the User Account Control thing in Vista solved that though for now.

I'm back on the old Steam right now though since I'd like the official release.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Shift + Tab brings up a pretty nice menu in any Steam game, tried it with CS:CZ and Geometry Wars.

ex0du5

Banned
ORANGUTAN
Banned
(06-19-2007, 02:31 AM)
Reply | Quote

ORANGUTAN said:
Valve are ****ing pioneers. PC gaming really is the true next-gen we've all been waiting for. Disappointment is all that consoles have brought us so far this gen (360 with its failure rates and marketplace nickel & diming, PS3 price, lack of games, etc., Wii no comment for fear of ban).

:lol :lol :lol

P.S. Steam owns! I had my doubts when I was participating in the CS 1.4 Beta (Tracker was an awesome Friends name!), but they've really pulled it together since. The interface is also perfect for the PC. Oh, and integrated voice? About ****ing time! Rock on!

Guys, remember the 1.4 official release? That was a massive disaster. Huge Steam failures. Then again on the HL2 release...took over 2 hours to activate the game >_<. But, Steam has come a long way since. I absolutely love having my games on my account. I can install them on any computer I go on, I don't need to keep a CD key or CDs (although I like to have a physical copy for certain games).

Their customer service is great too...the other day I bought The Last Journey + Dreamfall, on the wrong account (my dad's account). So I filled a support ticket, and they told me, a few days later, to repurchase the game on the account I wanted it on, and they refunded my other purchase. It would be even better if they had live chat support though (like Linksys), but even so, I'm surprised they would actually refund my purchase for that reason. Go Valve!

saelz8

Damn, I should have read the posts before mine! Non-Steam games FTW!

The trick into the BETA (Though incomplete) doesn't work anymore. I'm guessing since you could do that, it'll be soon.

syllogism

steam.exe -clientbeta Cr0wbarF@ce-324Samophlange_ISmell3lk -beta Cr0wbarF@ce-324Samophlange_ISmell3lk

Works... I think Valve is leaking these on purpose. It's a newer version too as adding non-steam games on Vista didn't work earlier but does now.

saelz8

Supposedly Valve disabled "steam.exe -clientbeta Cr0wbarF@ce-324Samophlange_ISmell3lk -beta Cr0wbarF@ce-324Samophlange_ISmell3lk"

It doesn't work anymore

Amzin

I hated steam when it first came out, but damn if they haven't worked it into something awesome. Now if valve could just fix the damn source engine to not hate my computer, I'd be happy.

Amzin said:
I hated steam when it first came out, but damn if they haven't worked it into something awesome. Now if valve could just fix the damn source engine to not hate my computer, I'd be happy.

What is it doing?

saelz8

Valve director of marketing Doug Lombardi has confirmed to Shacknews that the Steam Community--a new service that will add extensive social networking features to the company's online Steam platform--is set to enter beta testing within a week.

Previously announced last month, the Steam Community will see the addition of voice chat, user profiles and groups, organized matches, and opponent tracking to the company's popular gaming hub.

The service was originally marked for release in late July. According to Lombardi, more details of the launch are forthcoming in an official release

Link

DMczaf

homeMessaging-TEMP.gif

:lol

Top Bottom