• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Community -- NOW.

I just opened Steam and the update is taking forever. Any fix for that? My friend restarted his computer and it worked (no dice for me), and my other friend is having the same problem...

I'm sure I'm not alone here in having a pretty terrible computer so what about some more love for the dinosaur PC guys? I'd love to play some original DoD myself.

EDIT: Actually what would make more sense is to perhaps give Steam group admin status to someone who plays a lot of older PC games (and maybe has an older PC to boot) and would therefore be more likely to schedule events for these older games. Thoughts?

EphemeralDream said:
I'm sure I'm not alone here in having a pretty terrible computer so what about some more love for the dinosaur PC guys? I'd love to play some original DoD myself.
Yes! Original DoD! I was addicted to that a few years back. Good times.

saelz8

Just copped Painkiller Gold. $9.95 is just too good.

I'll be up for some MP with anyone else who got it after I finish the SP. GIB!

psy18 said:
http://steamcommunity.com/id/psy18

I'm having trouble with the chatroom.
It seems normal for a few seconds, then it just lose connection and fails to reconnect
I suspect my NAV worm protection caused this... Anyone had similar problem?

I haven't, have you tried restarting your PC?

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
They need to add signups for the events, so you get a rough idea of who and how many are interested.

saelz8

The Left4Dead developers visited and joined the Left4Dead Steam Community group and answered a few questions in the groups chatroom.

Link

Definately another cool aspect of the Steam Community, developers can get more involved with their fans.

Mrbob

Does the steam front end not work when you put an outside game into steam?

I added Disciples 2 gold to my steam list (which I did not buy over steam), started it through steam, and I can't access Steam functionality at all in game.

Mrbob said:
Does the steam front end not work when you put an outside game into steam?

I added Disciples 2 gold to my steam list (which I did not buy over steam), started it through steam, and I can't access Steam functionality at all in game.
Doesn't seem like it (I tried Cave Story and System Shock 2). I imagine this is something that will be working properly once the community stuff goes out of beta (this was afterall one of their touted features right??) Also again my PC sucks so it might just be me but when I would try and bring up the overlay using OpenGL, all the objects were negatively displayed (the opposite colors) and therefore it was unusable. However using Direct3D made it display properly.

KTallguy

Banned
EphemeralDream said:
Doesn't seem like it (I tried Cave Story and System Shock 2). I imagine this is something that will be working properly once the community stuff goes out of beta (this was afterall one of their touted features right??) Also again my PC sucks so it might just be me but when I would try and bring up the overlay using OpenGL, all the objects were negatively displayed (the opposite colors) and therefore it was unusable. However using Direct3D made it display properly.

Certain games work, but certain ones don't.

Civ 4 doesn't work.
Company of Heroes does.

KTallguy said:
Certain games work, but certain ones don't.

Civ 4 doesn't work.

The steam version of Beyond the Sword works fine with the Steam Community!

civ4lol.GIF

(I did leave it on all day once while I was at work, other than that pretty accurate)

saelz8

Fragamemnon said:
The steam version of Beyond the Sword works fine with the Steam Community!

civ4lol.GIF

(I did leave it on all day once while I was at work, other than that pretty accurate)
Cheater! :lol

Anyhow

UT2K4 tonight, right guys? Are we self contained enough yet to not have to post on GAF whenever we plan on playing something? So, if you aren't logged on Steam, do it, and get gibbed!

"UT2K4 tonight, right guys? Are we self contained enough yet to not have to post on GAF whenever we plan on playing something? So, if you aren't logged on Steam, do it, and get gibbed!"

Yup, UT2K4 in roughly an hour and 20 minutes. Since Instagib CTF seems to be the overwhelming popular choice, I'll search for a good empty server a few minutes before the announcement goes up.

Jenga

Banned
Teknopathetic said:
"UT2K4 tonight, right guys? Are we self contained enough yet to not have to post on GAF whenever we plan on playing something? So, if you aren't logged on Steam, do it, and get gibbed!"

Yup, UT2K4 in roughly an hour and 20 minutes. Since Instagib CTF seems to be the overwhelming popular choice, I'll search for a good empty server a few minutes before the announcement goes up.
Bah. I wanted some co-op mod goodness. I'll probably join in though.

Reikon

Teknopathetic said:

What. I thought most people were looking forward to coop mods.

saelz8

The only problem with co-op mods is that people might not fit if a lot of people show up

That's why we didn't go with Alien Swarm or the like

Reikon

Just use multiple servers. It's not like everybody has to play together.

On an unrelated note, I finally accessed my old account. September 13, 2003. :D Seems like it's only one day newer than the oldest one I've seen yet.

"What. I thought most people were looking forward to coop mods."

Eh? A majority of the posts in this thread seem to favor an instagib gametype.

Alien swarm is out because of the player size limitation. Multiple servers often just creates confusion as to who goes where etc. and less people stick around as a result It's better (depending on how many people show up, of course) to just have one big server where everyone can get into without having to muck around with the details.

Cheeto

ut2004://67.159.51.18:7777

It's usually empty, it's LowGrav/no-trans on Face and BridgeofFate. It's also a demo server...I don't know if thats a plus or a neg for you guys.

firex

I'll be there for CS:S and probably suck since it's been years since I played it, but damn, there's so many games I should buy soon that I missed out on due to my stupid WoW addiction.

MutFox

Banned
Next time, Let's play the Original UT, I bet more people will play.
Plus, I like the game a lot more. :D

*Edit*
Disc 4!

purg3

slept with Malkin
Joe Molotov said:
Well, a few people showed up.

Ugh, I got stuck late at work-plus it doesn't help that there was severe flooding today in my area...Looks like I'll have to wait for the next UT meet up.

I joined the group. Should be on more starting sunday. Bummed that I missed UT...I'm away from my computer though until saturday (can't wait to get back to using MY computer...I've been "out of town" for almost 3 months).

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I will try to be around. I have to work until around 10 EST. We'll see. I wanna try it out.

Also, I followed some profile links and found Shawn Elliott's "The Morlocks" group and I just lost it :lol :lol

Bit-Bit

So yeah guys. I was trying to set up a game of Half Life 2 deathmatch with my friend earlier and whenever he sent me an invite, I kept getting a Server not responding error. Anyone had the same problem? Also, the voice chat don't seem to work....

Top Bottom