• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Community -- NOW.

MutFox

Banned
Well since There's either MOD Wednesday's or Sunday's,
Let's make one of those days Battlefield 2 day...

I think enough of us own the game to have a fun battle. :p
(Find some un-populated 64 man server and go a it.)

NeoGAF needs its own servers with PW only for gaffers... :D

Jenga

Banned
We need to narrow down what we will play. Right now we have UT2k4 and various STEAM games. Should we really try to add more games in?

Monkaii

I guess Im the only one playing Warsow here. A fun freeware fat paced Q3/UT online fps with a amazing instagib ctf mode. Skill moves ranging from bunnyhop to walljumps and rampglides. Pure awesomeness..

This will cater the Q3 and UT fans, while it gives the opportunity for everyone to join ( freeware = download & play ). For most of the events are restricted due to the nature of the commercial games.

Currently Im only able to participate in the CS:S events, whereas the Trackmania Event was - as far as I heard - supposed to be TM:United only ( Nations could have been a better choice, for it is free.. and equally awesome ).

Well; this post probably wont help one small bit, but hey.. a junior can dream... :lol

"You guys should do the US events 1 or 2 hours sooner. That way Europeans can join too :p"

Well, I tried to pick a time that wasn't too late for Eastern (9PM) yet still gives West coast folks time to get off from work and relax and whatnot instead having to rush home to be able dork around with games.

MutFox

Banned
Teknopathetic said:
"You guys should do the US events 1 or 2 hours sooner. That way Europeans can join too :p"

Well, I tried to pick a time that wasn't too late for Eastern (9PM) yet still gives West coast folks time to get off from work and relax and whatnot instead having to rush home to be able dork around with games.

I'm glad it's at those times too. :p
(I'm usually 30 - 60 mins late anyways...)

Ruprit

Yeah, that's the problem, for some reason the button just won't work. I'm not sure what I am doing wrong, any ideas?

MutFox

Banned
Ruprit said:
Yeah, that's the problem, for some reason the button just won't work. I'm not sure what I am doing wrong, any ideas?
Are you joining through your browser or through STEAM?

Once again, VaLVe shows that they're a force to be reckoned with in this industry. 1st, they make Half-Life 1. With that game & it's subsequent add-ons/mods, they helped redefine the industry and the genres involved. Then, they set the bar again with the whole digital distribution model with the Steam system. Later, they released Half-Life 2 and the cycle has repeated itself.....again...... Now, they've got their finger on the pulse on "What's Next" in terms of how we'll play our games. Other companies have attempted it (or parts), but never with the overall success that I'm sure VaLVe will have with Steam Communities. Any doubters can take the door ----------------------------> that way!

Xdrive05

Does the chat not work for you guys? Every time I click on a chat link, nothing loads and nothing happens. I've tried both Firefox and IE. Do I have to have something downloaded to chat?

Zanboo

Puts the M in Member
Xdrive05 said:
Does the chat not work for you guys? Every time I click on a chat link, nothing loads and nothing happens. I've tried both Firefox and IE. Do I have to have something downloaded to chat?

Chat opens in Steam.

Doytch

Xdrive05 said:

You've opted into the Community Beta in Steam?

Doytch

Xdrive05 said:
It does? I can't find it in Steam even after clicking the links from the browser. Where does it show up in Steam?

I have an account and a page. Is that all I need to be in? Is there something else?

I think you still need to go to the Settings window in Steam, and then enter in the Community beta. I had the same problem until I did that. Join the beta, restart Steam, and you should be golden.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Xdrive05 said:
It does? I can't find it in Steam even after clicking the links from the browser. Where does it show up in Steam?
I have an account and a page. Is that all I need to be in? Is there something else?

Steam > File > Settings > Account tab > "Beta Participation" > Make sure it says "Steam Community" if it doesnt then select it

Big main steam window > Community > It should have your steamID page listed or maybe neogaf > Under the groups section you will see Neogaf. under the gaf icon you will see some information, X chatting / X playing a game / X online.
Click on the X chatting and you should get the chat window.

All of that is done within the steam client.

I joined up with the group. I really like the whole interface of it, the only problem I see currently is the lack of a search function. Though you can see in the corners that it says it's coming so I guess thats fine. The website is a little slow for me as well, but that doesn't really bother me as much as other people.

You can expect me to be in the Friday Night Counter-Strike most every week. I love me some CSS.

1-D_FTW

I take it nobody likes FEAR? Come on, multiplayer is free:)

EDIT: And how do you join the group? I was told you needed an invite while chatting. And others said no. But I'm definitely a guest when I enter. So I assume you do need an invite.

saelz8

1-D_FTW said:

EDIT: And how do you join the group? I was told you needed an invite while chatting. And others said no. But I'm definitely a guest when I enter. So I assume you do need an invite.
Join the chatroom now, I'll invite you.

It seems Steam Community (BETA, I know) has issues with some regions, specifically Australia and anything in Africa - you physically cannot sign up for a SteamID, which locks you out of the Community functionality. There is a huge thread about it on the Steam forums so far, with no solution in sight yet.

1-D_FTW said:

The only real free multiplayer shooter worth playing is return to castle wolfenstein: enemy territories and you know it. By the way we should add that to the rotation if enough people will play.

Just so you guys know, I don't own DOD:S and as such, can not find a good server for yous. One of you should take the liberty of searching :).

Teknopathetic said:
Just so you guys know, I don't own DOD:S and as such, can not find a good server for yous. One of you should take the liberty of searching :).

Say it ain't so...

ANYHOW FORGET ABOUT CRAPPY BIOSHOCK! DOD! DOD! DOD!

The M.O.B

MickeyKnox said:
I saw DoD mentioned here, got fucking pumped, logged in and saw DoD:S, immediate disgust.

WTF is wrong with you GAF?!

It's hard to judge how many people are actually interested, and I believe we are rotating between DOD & DOD:S every week, since both seem popular.

aznpxdd

DOD:S was fun guys, too bad I had to go early. :D

dod_anzio0007.png

zoku88

I did very badly in terms of kill ratio, but hey! I did a lot of flag capturing :) Brought my team ranking up a bit... >.> <.<

Hey, in the future, it might be best if we all meet up in chat before we play. It was a bit confusing this time...

saelz8

The first server we tried had horrible lag, so we switched. That made things start out a bit slower. Sorry for any confusion.

Still seems like DOD:S is not as popular as I would have thought, so we definately have to try DOD next week and see how that goes.

I think we had about 8 or 9 people from GAF? Maybe a little more.

Good games when it started going though.

Top Bottom