• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2014 - Read OP for winter sale questions

Jawmuncher

The Camo looks a lot nicer than I originally thought before seeing it in person. It was 5 bucks more, though, so I bit on the white one instead. It's held up well through Dino2 and San Andreas so far.

You have the One pad, how's that one for PC play? The lack of bluetooth for general wireless is disappointing :(

Just like the 360 controller plug it in and you're good.
I'm just not a fan of the one controller though. It just feels off to me.

-----

Also while I don't blame them.
I find it funny just how much GG hunts down on those price errors compared to every other online retailer when it comes to steam games.

Turfster

Okay are there like certain settings you're not supposed to play Space Channel 5 at, because jesus fuck either I'm deaf, or this just isn't capturing half my inputs.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Is this game good is a legitimate question. I don't read reviews and would rather trust you people.

why? im not being a dick, legitimate question. What makes any of us any more qualified to anwser such a relative question as to wether something is good or not. the best people can honestly say is if they liked it, but why is that any more valid than a review?

we live in an age where every bit of information about a game is available to us in video form, why would anyone base their purchasing decisions on what some random person on a internet forum said instead of what they have seen of a game in multiple ways? Especially in a place known for people hating on games for a variety of reasons that dont even apply to the actual games.

"Hey is this ubisoft game good?"
"yo man FUCK ubisoft man!"
"ok but the game, is the game good?"
"lol uplay"
"ok then..."

or the various different systems that people have

"yo that game is shit, it crashes every time I boot it!"
"that game runs great man buy it"

or my favorite, shitting on the games just because they are popular. Not that anyone would ever admit doing that of course :p

And going back to reviews, sure there are the God Hands of the world, but can you honestly remember that many games where the majority of people's opinions are vastly different from the majority of reviews? Reviews are nothing but 1 person's opinion on a game, even if you take into account your paranoid money hat conspiracies, in the end, most of the time, the games the majority of the reviewers like are the games the majority of the forum goers like, and same goes for the games they dont like.

dont get me wrong, im not saying we shouldnt talk about games. Hell I wish thats ALL we did. But no, I dont think "is this game good should I buy it" is a legit question, at least not one Im confortable awnsering without think "shit man, I liked it but the fuck do I know if you will like it too, or if 5 bucks is too much money for you or not"

edit: also I forgot the ever present "5 people in a page say they like the game, person quotes the 1 person that didnt like it as reason to not buy it" :D

so 15 people can tell you it's good, 3 people tell you its GOTF and 12 people tell you it's complete shit.

Yup. super helpful.

or, you know, you could be to the point like Boss :(

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Is this game good is a legitimate question. I don't read reviews and would rather trust you people.

:(

why? im not being a dick, legitimate question. What makes any of us any more qualified to anwser such a relative question as to wether something is good or not. the best people can honestly say is if they liked it, but why is that any more valid than a review?

we live in an age where every bit of information about a game is available to us in video form, why would anyone base their purchasing decisions on what some random person on a internet forum said instead of what they have seen of a game in multiple ways? Especially in a place known for people hating on games for a variety of reasons that dont even apply to the actual games.

"Hey is this ubisoft game good?"
"yo man FUCK ubisoft man!"
"ok but the game, is the game good?"
"lol uplay"
"ok then..."

or the various different systems that people have

"yo that game is shit, it crashes every time I boot it!"
"that game runs great man buy it"

or my favorite, shitting on the games just because they are popular. Not that anyone would ever admit doing that of course :p

And going back to reviews, sure there are the God Hands of the world, but can you honestly remember that many games where the majority of people's opinions are vastly different from the majority of reviews? Reviews are nothing but 1 person's opinion on a game, even if you take into account your paranoid money hat conspiracies, in the end, most of the time, the games the majority of the reviewers like are the games the majority of the forum goers like, and same goes for the games they dont like.

dont get me wrong, im not saying we shouldnt talk about games. Hell I wish thats ALL we did. But no, I dont think "is this game good should I buy it" is a legit question, at least not one Im confortable awnsering without think "shit man, I liked it but the fuck do I know if you will like it too, or if 5 bucks is too much money for you or not"

edit: also I forgot the ever present "5 people in a page say they like the game, person quotes the 1 person that didnt like it as reason to not buy it" :D

or, you know, you could be to the point like Boss :(

I think a lot of it will come down to respecting the taste of individual posters, finding someone you identify with and wondering what they think. Even for me, I enjoy reading what people think of games when they step out of their normal boundaries. Even if they didn't like what they played, it lets me understand that poster better.

But it is usually 13 "buy it" and 12 "it's shit" posts back to back.

Tenrius

Okay are there like certain settings you're not supposed to play Space Channel 5 at, because jesus fuck either I'm deaf, or this just isn't capturing half my inputs.

I kind of felt the same, but it turned out I just had to git gud. Or I don't know, the inputs are either incredibly unforgiving on purpose or there's indeed something wrong.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
It's like people save those things for a rainy day or something.

I got so many fucking keys stacked up its not even funny anymore. But its not a rainy day thing, its a "rhaknar is a lazy cunt" thing. I gotta dump all that shit here one of these days before I lose all the emails and whatnot

if nothing else, theres alot of idle card money in those keys damn it!

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
so 15 people can tell you it's good, 3 people tell you its GOTF and 12 people tell you it's complete shit.

Yup. super helpful.

15 + 3 is 18 and it's bigger than 12, so it works.

I read cheesepierecipie and a few reviews from people whose writing is actually decent. And so far the Steam thread has way better writers than most gaming sites.

:(

I think a lot of it will come down to respecting the taste of individual posters, finding someone you identify with and wondering what they think. Even for me, I enjoy reading what people think of games when they step out of their normal boundaries. Even if they didn't like what they played, it lets me understand that poster better.

But it is usually 13 "buy it" and 12 "it's shit" posts back to back.
What he said.

Maniac

Banned
Considering that ModBot had a drunken accident, did you three receive your keys OK?

Also seriously, enjoy them guys. They're some great games. And there's more to come soon enough! Around christmas I'm making two or three big-ish giveaways with every single extra bundle key, game copy and gift copy that I have.

Like, going through over 30 humblebundles made me realise "I have a lot of stuff lying around"

... I also found four games I'd forgotten to redeem that I didn't have. Oops.

offtopic: Fuck, The Hobbit 3 was so good and bittersweet.

Yup. super helpful.

Pretty much. You get the same feedback by looking through helpful reviews on steam, reading something over at metacritic or googling your question (y'know, like say, oh, the console plebs love this game, is the PC port any good?).

I've said it before and I'll say it again now.

NOBODY CAN TELL YOU WHAT A GAME IS "WORTH" TO YOU. THE ONLY PERSON WHO CAN ANSWER THAT IS YOU.

As far as "is this game any good?" It's almost 2015 and you're on the fucking internet. I'm pretty sure the question has been answered. Probably already in the sale thread to boot, but nobody ever searches and looks for answers, they'd rather just pop in and treat the thread like it's fucking google.

Also, if you've never heard of GAF hype, it's real, and if you're on the opposite team for a given game, you'll find out the hard way.

"Is <xxxx> worth <$y.yy>? Will it go lower? I'm not usually a fan of this genre, but I keep hearing about it and thought maybe I should try it..."

That always works out well too. Most people will see the first question in your post and go on to rave or shit on the game as they see fit. They most likely will forget to factor in the "you don't like the genre" or "you think it's interesting but you're wondering if it's beginner friendly".

Hell, at the end of the day, best I can do is tell someone if I think a game is good, compare it to a few similar games and somehow rank it. Otherwise, the person has no context, even if they're familiar with my normal "tastes" when it comes to gaming.

Toki767

I got so many fucking keys stacked up its not even funny anymore. But its not a rainy day thing, its a "rhaknar is a lazy cunt" thing. I gotta dump all that shit here one of these days before I lose all the emails and whatnot

if nothing else, theres alot of idle card money in those keys damn it!

This is why I stopped buying bundles. Only humble bundles. Everything else usually just gets given free en mass that I'd just be sitting on unused keys.

Rhaknar

real talk, is UK Gaf alright? just saw on the news its bad over there o_O

Maniac

Banned
15 + 3 is 18 and it's bigger than 12, so it works.

I read cheesepierecipie and a few reviews from people whose writing is actually decent. And so far the Steam thread has way better writers than most gaming sites.

What he said.

I know the feeling. I read a lot of RPS stuff, but everywhere else it's mostly select writers' stuff I bother reading.

Also everything ever by Durante and DocSeuss.

Turfster

I kind of felt the same, but it turned out I just had to git gud. Or I don't know, the inputs are either incredibly unforgiving on purpose or there's indeed something wrong.

Well, I had actual missing models and everything on one map, which was... interesting =p

Maniac

Banned
Pretty much. You get the same feedback by looking through helpful reviews on steam, reading something over at metacritic or googling your question (y'know, like say, oh, the console plebs love this game, is the PC port any good?).

I've said it before and I'll say it again now.

NOBODY CAN TELL YOU WHAT A GAME IS "WORTH" TO YOU. THE ONLY PERSON WHO CAN ANSWER THAT IS YOU.

As far as "is this game any good?" It's almost 2015 and you're on the fucking internet. I'm pretty sure the question has been answered. Probably already in the sale thread to boot, but nobody ever searches and looks for answers, they'd rather just pop in and treat the thread like it's fucking google.
Right. But there is the fact that a great deal of us around here know eachothers' gaming habits and opinions quite well, and thus you trust a great deal of this community more than the majority of review sites out there, and a lot of people can relate to eachother and whatnot.

I can see the logic in that, and honestly I don't see the bad thing in asking for peoples' opinions. I do think it'd be great if we had a compendium or compilation of the various review-esque musings that're posted every so often, because it'd be really neat to simply be able to click on a game and see what SteamGAFers think of it.

Although the cynic in me makes me think people are too lazy to read reviews that don't include a TL;DR or have a score.

Or simply too lazy googling.

... I'm just a tad cynical, y'know?

Kifimbo

Good, but flawed game.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Kifimbo, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Deadlight -- MB-341C39401637A7D3 - Taken by Tesseract

15 - 12 = 3

Also, 3 people tell you GOTF (game of the fuckincentury)

Half Life 3 confirmed!

Coincidentally, 3 people will also tell you to GTFO, myself included...

Whether the others were talking about game of the forever or game of the fuckincentury, the 3 people I'm talking about will have made it perfectly clear what GTFO stands for.

Right. But there is the fact that a great deal of us around here know eachothers' gaming habits and opinions quite well, and thus you trust a great deal of this community more than the majority of review sites out there, and a lot of people can relate to eachother and whatnot.

I can see the logic in that, and honestly I don't see the bad thing in asking for peoples' opinions. I do think it'd be great if we had a compendium or compilation of the various review-esque musings that're posted every so often, because it'd be really neat to simply be able to click on a game and see what SteamGAFers think of it.

Although the cynic in me makes me think people are too lazy to read reviews that don't include a TL;DR or have a score.

Or simply too lazy googling.

... I'm just a tad cynical, y'know?

You're confusing community with sale thread, sir.
If someone comes in and asks if a game is good (that is, doesn't ask if it's worth it) and is a regular poster in SteamGAF... okay, sure, I'll buy your logic.
But in the sales threads, where you get all sorts of one offs wandering in and out and they don't really know jack shit about the regulars in here and their gaming tastes and the like... your point is invalid. It's just that they're lazy and don't know how to search and would rather just post in one of these threads knowing that someone else will do the work for them and they won't have to sift through the internet to get an answer.

Jawmuncher

It's still snowing up here
ihatesnow.gif
I hate snow so much.

Thank Goodness I grabbed Xrd earlier today when it was clear.
Also it's good I will double dip if it hits PC.
BOOM steam related

Maniac

Banned
Hobbit, good? Am I reading this right?

Don't trust me, please. I liked the second one.

But I *really* liked the first. The third, however, is leagues above it.

It's... Very... LOTR-ish in the best of ways.

There were also tons of Uruk beheadings, 'twas like a Shadow of Mordor movie, man! The battle scenes were some of the best I've ever seen, too. And the pacing is darn great. Effects were top-notch, especially some involving SPOILER ALERT ERMEHGERD DONT READ THIS PLEASE*
Gandalf and his elven crush :3

*Ofcourse, if you didn't know this already, what the fuck is wrong with you? And why have you not watched LOTR and / or read the books? For shame!

Also lots of great GIF material in that movie, especially with the mountain trolls. Man, the fucking mountain trolls...
Coincidentally, 3 people will also tell you to GTFO, myself included...

Whether the others were talking about game of the forever or game of the fuckincentury, the 3 people I'm talking about will have made it perfectly clear what GTFO stands for.

You're confusing community with sale thread, sir.
If someone comes in and asks if a game is good (that is, doesn't ask if it's worth it) and is a regular poster in SteamGAF... okay, sure, I'll buy your logic.
But in the sales threads, where you get all sorts of one offs wandering in and out and they don't really know jack shit about the regulars in here and their gaming tastes and the like... your point is invalid. It's just that they're lazy and don't know how to search and would rather just post in one of these threads knowing that someone else will do the work for them and they won't have to sift through the internet to get an answer.

This is what I get for being a tired idiot. I somehow missed the bit about sales thread, thus I must agree with you. Because people are fucking lazy. Like, really, really sodding lazy.

Also is this thread seriously getting locked during the Winter Sealz? If so, I... I don't know what I'll fucking do...

And since we're in community, isn't it kind of unnecessary? ^_~'

Maniac

Banned
Holy fuck. Train is lookin' sleek! Looks like a proper modern facility instead of a run-down 50's train station. Diggin' it! I may just start playing Train again :]

Oh and goodnight lads, I'm off, cause it's darn late here!

PS: Lichdom battlemage is fun, but annoying. It basically saves constantly, but only in one slot, no 'load game' option, you can only pick 'resume', and somehow my save got corrupted, smh...

What makes any of us any more qualified to anwser such a relative question as to wether something is good or not. the best people can honestly say is if they liked it, but why is that any more valid than a review?

Are you implying we should stop posting impressions of games we've played?

Rhaknar

What happened in the UK? Don't see anything on BBC/CNN or anything.

oh its just shit weather, but bad enough that its on the news here in Portugal aparentely?

Are you implying we should stop posting impressions of games we've played?

why would I be implying that? where was I implying that in fact? Did I also imply press should stop reviewing games? I just dont see why a random forum goer opinion is more valid than a random reviewer, its just 1 person's opinion. Neither of which holds a candle to actually watching videos of games, but that goes into personal preference. I even said in my wall of text, and I quote:

"dont get me wrong, im not saying we shouldnt talk about games. Hell I wish thats ALL we did."

Cheers!
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 9 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (orthodoxy1095, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Kraven Manor -- MB-3B1F493C32D719E0 - Taken by Catshade. 2 entrants total.
FATE: The Cursed King -- MB-CFE22F55F81680EF - Taken by fuzzy123. 1 entrants total.
To The Moon -- MB-A59B5678CCE7251A - Taken by texhnolyze. 1 entrants total.
Alone In The Dark -- MB-BF79235FA0CBD79D - Taken by Dimitri2401. 11 entrants total.
Real Boxing -- MB-6AA9234945F7EC3A - Taken by didamangi. 5 entrants total.
Natural Selection 2 -- MB-6A096215C183802F - Taken by agniswarm. 1 entrants total.
The Whispered World: Special Edition -- MB-235D243BD960FD14 - Taken by Archangel_. 3 entrants total.
Pixel Piracy -- MB-0E7B37C7A5A96291 - Taken by Cth. 5 entrants total.
The Dark Eye: Chains of Satinav -- MB-57258D8FAB864AF3 - Taken by Natty1. 7 entrants total.

t1418276020z1.png

Huh, I am actually enjoying the new Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris quite a bit. Sad that it'll be taken away now :(

Playing it only SP right now, but it feels pretty much like GoL. I don't think it's a game you play for the story or a linear playthrough (I decided pretty quickly to skip all cutscenes), but if you enjoyed replaying levels for all the challenges in GoL it's great. Can't agree with the middling reviews at this point.

There are some things I don't like (runs okay but is very taxing on my GPU even at low settings, the new randomized equipent system), but the core game has been a lot of fun so far.

Jawmuncher

Huh, I am actually enjoying the new Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris quite a bit. Sad that it'll be taken away now :(

Playing it only SP right now, but it feels pretty much like GoL. I don't think it's a game you play for the story or a linear playthrough (I decided pretty quickly to skip all cutscenes), but if you enjoyed replaying levels for all the challenges in GoL it's great. Can't agree with the middling reviews at this point.

There are some things I don't like (runs okay but is very taxing on my GPU even at low settings, the new randomized equipent system), but the core game has been a lot of fun so far.

Its only like 4 hours long you have enough time to maybe beat it once!

Its only like 4 hours long you have enough time to maybe beat it once!

I already put 4 hours into it and I'm pretty sure I'm not that far in. As I said I'm completing all the challenges and not just going from stage to stage.
But yeah I'll try to beat it in time and get to play it for free that way. :D Didn't really care about the Season Pass content anyway.

Top Bottom