• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2014 - Read OP for winter sale questions

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
2014-12-11_13-32-52.jpg

I'll just leave this here ... ;)

The_Monk

Hey everyone, hope y'all doing okay.

Thanks for those impressions Rhaknar just installed the update and will try later on since I stopped at the 8 hour mark. I'll be happy with 1080p 60FPS.

Also, went to my local mall and they don't have 5€ and 10€ Steam Cards, only 20€, 50€ and 100€ which is a shame... I could swear I remember those smaller cards, even PSN have 5€, 10€ and 15€.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
HOLY 19fps battles Batman o_O

switched my SLI to Force Alternate Frame Rendering 1 instead of 2 in the control panel and it borked it haha. dem 17fps, its in slow motion :(

back to Frame Rendering 2 it is :p

(talking about FF13 btw not actually Batman)

Nabs

not available for me, its hoswing up on the main page of the client tho, I click it and it says not available n my region

anyway, not to jinx it guys, but at least to me, Final Fantasy XIII is running pretty much as I expected a actual proper port to run

1080p, 16X MSAA, shadow resolution at 4096X4096 (I havent tried at 8192x8192 yes), pretty much 60fps :D

some dipping into the 55s, 57s etc, but any game does that. I only played the first 15mins or so, with the train bit and the first boss up to the save point. I still need to mess with my SLI settings, theres no official profile

patch seems good to me, but then again, I didnt try it pre patch so /shrug

I forgot how pretty the game is too

I'm getting better performance now. Much better. I just lowered my shadow res and I'm at 60 with drops just like yours. I'm still only an hour or so in, so I haven't gotten to any of the other areas yet.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
ok so one last test, I set the control panel to default, which I believe means its only using one of the 970s, and I still get mostly 60 with ocasional dips to the mid 50s for a split second...to be honest might be the same as when I had SLI enabled, im trying to always keep an eye on MSI afterburner's information on the screen but you're bound to miss something for a second

so yeah, for those with 1 card, seems good

I havent tested shadows at max (8192x8192)

Seems Steam will soon have one too.
capsule_616x353.jpg

will insta buy the tex murphy games the old ones, I have the new one)

I'm getting better performance now. Much better. I just lowered my shadow res and I'm at 60 with drops just like yours. I'm still only an hour or so in, so I haven't gotten to any of the other areas yet.

cool cool. what did you lower the shadows to. Im running at the 4k x 4k setting. I mean the shadows seting, not 4k resolution, I havent tried that, only 1080p

Milamber

My cards are starting to sell like crazy. Winter seal is coming.

I guess I should buy some just for the badge.

So am I supposed to use the settings for my games in Nvidia Experience? Or just the in-game settings?

The Experience will automatically configure your ingame setting for you to what they believe is the best. You can still choose which to tweak ingame our outside after that.

Nabs

cool cool. what did you lower the shadows to. Im running at the 4k x 4k setting. I mean the shadows seting, not 4k resolution, I havent tried that, only 1080p

I'm just playing at default 1024 and 2x MSAA. I'm on a 660ti, so I can't ball out of control. I was also able to downsample from 3200x1800 and get similar performance to 1080p. I'll play more later and see if things change.

ff13 patch being good bodes well for 13-2 btw :)

We're still really early in the game. We don't know how long this will hold.

Anteater

not available for me, its hoswing up on the main page of the client tho, I click it and it says not available n my region

anyway, not to jinx it guys, but at least to me, Final Fantasy XIII is running pretty much as I expected a actual proper port to run

1080p, 16X MSAA, shadow resolution at 4096X4096 (I havent tried at 8192x8192 yes), pretty much 60fps :D

some dipping into the 55s, 57s etc, but any game does that. I only played the first 15mins or so, with the train bit and the first boss up to the save point. I still need to mess with my SLI settings, theres no official profile

patch seems good to me, but then again, I didnt try it pre patch so /shrug

I forgot how pretty the game is too

From my experience the game runs ok most of the time but the performance drop comes from casting spells mostly in battle, once I started getting more spells (I think around the time I reached the crystal lake?), there are a lot of drops to 30 and then back up whenever my characters cast spells in battle (with vsync forced off), no matter what resolution and graphical settings I get the same drop. Just tried the patch and the game performs the same.

Although it might run better for you since you have a much more powerful card.

Pachimari

I guess I should buy some just for the badge.

The Experience will automatically configure your ingame setting for you to what they believe is the best. You can still choose which to tweak ingame our outside after that.

Doesn't really matter.
Nvidia just offers what it recommends.
I always just tweak in game.
Alright, I'll just stay away from the Nvidia stuff.

ff13 patch being good bodes well for 13-2 btw :)
The patch is out?

hepburn3d

eeep got some vouchers from family early :D cannot wait to spend them :) On the one hand ... spend them, on the other hand ... wait till January GTA5 comes out. I so hope that game get a steam workshop, would enjoy that more than anything, although a game like that scream DLC things so I can't see it getting one :-(

gngf123

So... somehow, one of my USB ports has completely broken. The long strip on the inside snapped off inside the port of my 360 controller, rendering them both useless =/.

How the hell would I even fix this....

Nabs

I got a free copy of Spacebase by buying Hack 'n' Slash. I didn't think that was still a thing, but I guess it is.

Annubis

SEGA pls, bring Yakuza to Steam so I can finally experience this
r8MG2XX.gif

Hmmmm... is that someone that hacked the game and swapped character models?

So... somehow, one of my USB ports has completely broken. The long strip on the inside snapped off inside the port of my 360 controller, rendering them both useless =/.

Pliers to remove it from the 360?
That or just shove the 360 controller back in there and make it a dedicated to 360 controller USB. If you shove it right, it should connect correctly.

JustLynx

leftover sonic

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (JustLynx, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

t1cxE6r.gif
Sonic Generations -- MB-568455DC9AEDE093 - Taken by Mengy. 13 entrants total.

t1418315562z1.png

Grief.exe

Seems Steam will soon have one too.
capsule_616x353.jpg

Coincide the sale with the rights to publish No One Lives Forever. Celebrations all around.g

ok so one last test, I set the control panel to default, which I believe means its only using one of the 970s, and I still get mostly 60 with ocasional dips to the mid 50s for a split second...to be honest might be the same as when I had SLI enabled, im trying to always keep an eye on MSI afterburner's information on the screen but you're bound to miss something for a second

so yeah, for those with 1 card, seems good

I havent tested shadows at max (8192x8192)

That's really good news, looks like Square is making progress.

Before I would just consistently drop to 30 FPS, regardless of resolution.

Knurek

So, has anyone with mid-tier card like 750 TI checked FF13's new patch?
I don't really want to redownload 50 GB just to check performance, and I will not buy FF13-2 without making sure I won't be getting constant stutter...

Also, some spares:

ModBot said:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Knurek, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.

Evilquest -- MB-97BC9958FD15664E - Taken by Htown
Gearcrack Arena -- MB-BEA5C59BE57D4779 - Taken by Sarcasm
Jack Orlando -- MB-67F43B91B93C7F7F - Taken by tjohn86

Anteater

So, has anyone with mid-tier card like 750 TI checked FF13's new patch?
I don't really want to redownload 50 GB just to check performance, and I will not buy FF13-2 without making sure I won't be getting constant stutter...

Also, some spares:

Runs the same on my 760gtx.

The game runs fine for me at 30fps locked though, just that it drops a lot to 30 if I want 60fps.

gngf123

That or just shove the 360 controller back in there and make it a dedicated to 360 controller USB. If you shove it right, it should connect correctly.

Or a recipe for a bent pin.

Definitely going to try the pliers though, looks like it is stuck there pretty well though.

Milamber

Take a needle and dig into the plastic snapped of bit and nudge it out a bit until you can take pliers to pull it out of there. I did this lots of times from the employees breaking their laptop USB's. The controller is fine.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member

Considering the smoke that is supposed to originate from the cigarette is actually coming out of her lower sternum, I would think so.

that bridge level in WolfTNO was kind of a pain in the ass. My tendency to search every nook and cranny was being subverted by the entire level being a danger zone. Add to that some meh checkpointing and the fact that the damn health upgrade i spent so much time looking for was at the end of the level and you've got a frustrating experience that soured me on Wolf for the evening.

well, at least im on the damn
nazi moon
now.

This is Google Cardboard design. I am waiting lenses to arrive and then it will be complete. Nice homemade VR headset :D

i found it to be pretty underwhelming when i used it with my iphone 6+. It was super annoying that the box kept putting pressure on the lock button and the volume buttons, making me have to constantly adjust my phone.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 7 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Shalashaska, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Shattered Haven -- MB-4F495EDD59349841
Spacechem -- MB-ADD5C7E91C628754 - Taken by woo and indeed hoo
DinoD Day -- MB-0765252A4FE2CBF8 - Taken by gaiadyne
GTR: Evolution -- MB-B469EE434FD23B14
Really Big Sky -- MB-1E9939997A25147E
Gun Monkeys -- MB-5902F8F24B93FE93
Crash Time 2 -- MB-E411692CF445EAE2 - Taken by texhnolyze

gngf123

Take a needle and dig into the plastic snapped of bit and nudge it out a bit until you can take pliers to pull it out of there. I did this lots of times from the employees breaking their laptop USB's. The controller is fine.

Yup, that did the trick. Manage to wiggle it enough to get it out by hand in the end, didn't even need the pliers.

dex3108

i found it to be pretty underwhelming when i used it with my iphone 6+. It was super annoying that the box kept putting pressure on the lock button and the volume buttons, making me have to constantly adjust my phone.

It works without issues on with my Nexus 5 but i am waiting lenses to arrive to fully test it.

GTR: Evolution -- MB-B469EE434FD23B14

Is this only DLC or also the base game?

While I'm at it... I'd like to ask everyone what are some of the best/your favorite racing games on PC? I haven't played any. My favorites on consoles include Ridge Racer, F-Zero, WipeOut, Sega Rally, Outrun, and to a lesser extent Gran Turismo (for the eye candy and realism. I love eye candy).

Top Bottom