• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2014 - Read OP for winter sale questions

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Actual mods don't visit this thread (probably community in general (><), so it won't be locked, unless mrOrange requests so and mod obliges, he's right about pm-ing mrOrange, because we know he wants this thread locked during the sale.

Does it really matter what one person wants if the whole thread wants another thing? Especially when we are all the same level of importance to the mods?

rickyson1

why? im not being a dick, legitimate question. What makes any of us any more qualified to anwser such a relative question as to wether something is good or not. the best people can honestly say is if they liked it, but why is that any more valid than a review?

we live in an age where every bit of information about a game is available to us in video form, why would anyone base their purchasing decisions on what some random person on a internet forum said instead of what they have seen of a game in multiple ways? Especially in a place known for people hating on games for a variety of reasons that dont even apply to the actual games.

"Hey is this ubisoft game good?"
"yo man FUCK ubisoft man!"
"ok but the game, is the game good?"
"lol uplay"
"ok then..."

or the various different systems that people have

"yo that game is shit, it crashes every time I boot it!"
"that game runs great man buy it"

or my favorite, shitting on the games just because they are popular. Not that anyone would ever admit doing that of course :p

And going back to reviews, sure there are the God Hands of the world, but can you honestly remember that many games where the majority of people's opinions are vastly different from the majority of reviews? Reviews are nothing but 1 person's opinion on a game, even if you take into account your paranoid money hat conspiracies, in the end, most of the time, the games the majority of the reviewers like are the games the majority of the forum goers like, and same goes for the games they dont like.

dont get me wrong, im not saying we shouldnt talk about games. Hell I wish thats ALL we did. But no, I dont think "is this game good should I buy it" is a legit question, at least not one Im confortable awnsering without think "shit man, I liked it but the fuck do I know if you will like it too, or if 5 bucks is too much money for you or not"

edit: also I forgot the ever present "5 people in a page say they like the game, person quotes the 1 person that didnt like it as reason to not buy it" :D

or, you know, you could be to the point like Boss :(

personally when it comes to rpgs i'm not sure of or haven't heard of i've just started going with what durante likes

hasn't let me down yet(although not even durante can get me to play ff13)

Lomax

Locking this thread only made sense when the Steam thread lasted months and sale threads were crazy and replacements. As we saw in the fall sale, there definitely seems to be a good use for both.

Now if this thread is suddenly getting ten times the traffic as well, and it would mean new threads every couple of days on both sides, I can understand why they'd want it locked, because that would be a pain in the ass for MrOrange. But if the traffic here only increases slightly then we'd only need one more new thread before the end of the month, just like normal. I think it's worth leaving it unlocked and seeing how things are going.

Does it really matter what one person wants if the whole thread wants another thing? Especially when we are all the same level of importance to the mods?

Agreed, and honestly, if MrOrange doesn't want to deal with it and has it locked, what would be wrong with someone else opening a new one? Just like Salsa does the sale threads?

Yessss! Work agreed to buy me a new home desktop since I do a lot of stimuli design for my studies at home, and my prior home machine is slowly dying. The only problem was... it had to be a Dell since that's who they have their contract with. But it turns out, as long as it was a Dell, it could be literally *any* dell (it helps that i'm friends with the TC that handles the computer purchasing and stuff for our department).

So on a lark I asked for the new Alienware Area 51 desktop with the top-of-line processor, 16 gigs of ram, paired big SSD + storage drive...and a GTX 980 graphics card. And somehow or another, they said *yes*! So yeah, it shows up January 6th. The thing looks hilarious. I mean, it's *triangular*. It has color-changing LED strips along the sides. There's no remotely possible way that anybody could look at it and go "yup, that's a work machine." But i'm not going to complain!

Witcher 3 here I come. Needless to say, I can't wait to try out a bunch of games I already have on it, given I'm currently on a 650 card. Going to a 980 should be a revelation.

What's the current general consensus on "game to really put your new machine through its' paces" these days?

Tizoc

It just occured to me that I can broadcast my playthrough of Final Fantasy XIII....
Someone link me to an edited save that gives you 999,999 CP from the start of Ch. 2 please :V

So are we getting locked on the 18th when the sale comes aorund?
I personally see it as hypocritical since were not on gaming side anymore.
Well does it matter? A separate thread is somewhat better IMHO, so this topic is not spammed by deals, and everyone can find those in the sales thread in one place.

It is maybe better not to lock this thread to keep the normal discussions going, next to the sales thread.

milena87

Witcher 3 here I come. Needless to say, I can't wait to try out a bunch of games I already have on it, given I'm currently on a 650 cards. Going to a 980 should be a revelation.

What's the current general consensus on "game to really put your new machine through its' paces" these days?

Ahah, congrats! I totally envy you of course :p
edit: not sure about which games are super demanding right now. I guess Ryse and Metro Redux fit the description. And The Witcher 2 with ubersampling. Also probably Crysis 3, Battlefield 4 and Far Cry 3-4?

Anyway, I hope this thread will remain open during the sale as well. The sale threads are usually really difficult to follow.

GaussTek

Damn, Steam is down for me. Tried to connect in order to download the FFXIII patch, and I can't right now :(

Edit. And, it's up again!

I found myself on /r/Thalassophobia (fear of the ocean), and somebody posted the trailer for Diluvion. It looks pretty interesting, in particular...
Clip_YamatoCrab.gif
It's by Arachnid Games, the guys behind Ballpoint Universe, so it stands to reason it'll be on Steam.
I recall seeing this gif a couple months ago. Really like the style they are going for.
Just love how dread and uncertainty is building up.
-
Ops. Missed the live show.
Watched a bit of the youtube thing.

It's Japanese without subs -___-

How am I supposed to understand something. I ain't no yakkue!
-
Ok guys and girls i think i am almost ready to experience GTA V First Person mode in full glory when game arrives on PC XD
B4k-eKSCEAA1Prx.jpg:large
Hah. Please post about your experiences here! I have some old cheap android phones lying around unused. It it works somewhat, I would give it a shot. At least a nice project would come out of it.

Chariot

Is Steam alright? I tried to activate a key and then it froze and then I closed it and now it cannot connect anymore.

edit: ok nvm, just was honky a bit

Nzyme32

I'd also prefer it if this thread could stay open..

But it's the festive season tradition.

Mods lock the house while we travel to, and are all forced to stay with the extended family that we rarely meet, and have to hear all of their old stories all over again. We also give gifts to each other and praise the lord and drink too much and run out of money, and then are thank full to get back home

dex3108

Hah. Please post about your experiences here! I have some old cheap android phones lying around unused. It it works somewhat, I would give it a shot. At least a nice project would come out of it.

I ordered lenses last night from ebay so i don't expect them before january (holidays) so it won't be any impressions soon :D

Jawmuncher

Well does it matter? A separate thread is somewhat better IMHO, so this topic is not spammed by deals, and everyone can find those in the sales thread in one place.

It is maybe better not to lock this thread to keep the normal discussions going, next to the sales thread.

That;s what im saying.
Its better to me that we leave this thread as is for the game discussion.

fernandes

Anyone still missing this classic?
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (fernandes, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Bioshock 1 -- MB-D5E1054F5B8B3239 - Taken by lindarasta

Knurek

I've been playing Testament of Sherlock Holmes... Not sure what to think about it - many devs seem to be extremely fond of showing their badly animated, uncanny valley 3D models 'emoting', Frogwares seems to be one of them...

Not very much of 'game' in this game, mostly just HOPA level puzzles (not a bad HOPA, but still). Some weird 1st/3rd person location exploration as well. And loads of scenes of Watson acting like a total idiot... Seems par for the course for a Sherlock product...

(When's Sherlock season 4 airing? Need more Cumberbatch badly...)

For those who beat dragon age origins, I'm up to the part where you go to denerim to confront the cunt who backstabs the warden and king in the beginning(I forgot his name, its on the tip of my mind but I can't remember it >.>) more specifically I'm up to(if you haven't gotten to denrim after completing the urn quest slight spoiler)
rescuing the queen, I've saved the warden that was imprisoned and he's at the mansion chillaxing atm
. Am I almost done with the game or nah? What's a rough estimation of how many hours I got left if hypothetically speaking I only tackle main queat from here on out?

Yakkue

(When's Sherlock season 4 airing? Need more Cumberbatch badly...)

There's going to be a christmas special in 2015, filming for series 4 will start in "late 2015" and air sometime in 2016, so it's still long off.
---
The final boss in Ys I is harsh. How many tries did it take those of you who played the game?

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

AUPeRsu.jpg

Mystery Game -- MB-8D285406F9DE55F8 - Taken by ExoSoul

Top Bottom