• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2014 - Read OP for winter sale questions

Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

AUPeRsu.jpg

Mystery Game -- MB-8D285406F9DE55F8 - Taken by ExoSoul
No thanks modbot, give that shit back, we all know its insurgency or some other free game like metro

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
It's Enhanced Steam.

While I can't take credit for this, I'll let you know that I smile every time someone mistakes Valve's stuff for mine and vise versa. :D

New BundleStars bundle: Batman Complete Bundle for $9.99
http://www.bundlestars.com/all-bundles/batman-complete-bundle/
  • Batman: Arkham Asylum Game of the Year Edition
  • Batman: Arkham City Game of the Year Edition
  • Batman: Arkham Origins
  • Batman: Arkham Origins: Season Pass - DLC
  • Batman: Arkham Origins: Black Mask Challenge Pack - DLC
  • Batman: Arkham Origins: Online Supply Drop DLCs

wow. That's pretty hot
Still very confused about the deals Bundlestars manages to pull with WB

That's a damn good bundle for the 3 of you that don't own any Arkham games.

Phawx

I played Xeodrifter. Impressions and Let's Play below:

If Nintendo asked Renegade Kid to make a Metroid game, Xeodrifter would be it. Everything that makes Metroid great is featured in Xeodrifter.

My Let's Play can be found here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygvew8U9Fyo

Shooting, platforming, areas unlock based upon items/power-ups, and an emphasis on exploration. What Renegade Kid has done is put their spin on it. Please excuse this quick aside but it should be noted that if you were given a bunch of pixel art styles along a police lineup, It would be very easy to I.D. Renegade Kid's animation. So, well done for having a unique and recognizable look with so few pixels. To segue Renegade Kid's previous work in here, if you've played Mutant Mudds or are aware of it's notable feature, the multi-depth parallax platforming works so amazingly well in Xeodrifter that using the buzzword synergy is appropriate here. There were a few times that the background just drifted off in the periphery of my attention, but thanks to brilliant game design, there are enemies or objects moving that punctuates the setting to capture your attention and give you that eureka "Ah-ha!" moment to make you feel like a genius. There are also times when you just need to be paying attention because there are power-ups idly sitting.

Speaking of power-ups, Xeodrifter handles weapon upgrades as points to your gun that you can repurpose at will and even create up to three quick-slot configurations to deftly switch in between. There are a few methods to upgrade your gun. You can make your bullets larger, shoot faster, do more damage, spread shot or do a sine-wave pattern. There are certain enemies, like Giant-Eye-Lazer-Death-Cube-Thing that can be dispatched quicker with the sinewave upgrade. So figuring out what works best in a certain aspect and one that is entirely decided by you, works hand-in-hand with the non-linear exploration of the game.

Also I didn't mention it yet, but traversing to the four different areas of the game is done via a small little spaceship. It barely plays any role outside of being a hub, but it's a very nice touch.

One thing that I find a bit lacking is the boss fights. So far there is just one boss that is varied each event. I am conflicted with this because there is enough variety, especially when you consider the parallax battling, and new "tells" that need to be learned to not feel stale. However, I really wish there were more completely original bosses. I can understand the amount of time to conceive and implement original bosses is non-trivial, so it is appreciated that the one boss continually finds new ways to make use of all of the power-ups. That is essentially the only negative thing I can say about Xeodrifter.

Lastly, the secrets. Yes there is a grid-based map. And yes, after you've revealed a secret it is indicated on the grid-based map via a special indicator. There are also a few easter eggs and funnily enough even though I would call Xeodrifter a Metroidlike as opposed to a Metroidvania game, there are early Castlevania Chicken-in-the-wall secrets to be found.

Also, I didn't know where to fit this so I apologize for that, but even the little details like the bullet particle effects and splashing in the water being dynamic is a great touch. Love the little details.

If you like Metroid or Metroidvania games, Xeodrifer is a no-brainer. You need to buy this. It will make you happy. I don't usually hand out guarantees* but in this instance, I guarantee* it.

*guarantee offered is for humor purposes only. I have no means of offering any sort of guarantee :)

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
you are right , so how can i see the russian price of that game?? normally there is a green circle to the left of the price that lets me see it so idk what i should do in this case

I don't think the Russian price really matters, as subscriptions like this can't be purchased for another account (they can't be gifted, and they're tied directly to the purchasing account holder)

Very good bundle for those who are new to the series.

Hugstable

Banned
We are getting locked during sale? Even though we are now in Community?

That is grade a bs.

Who decides the lock? Mods or MrOrange?

I am fully against a lock. Last sale I almost didn't visit the sale thread in Gaming at all but stayed here. We are a community. Lots of regular posters.

Who gets hurt when this thread stays open? No one, because for the first time the Steam thread is not a competition to the sales thread.

Yeah that sounds pretty silly to wanna lock the thread that's in community just because theres another thread for Steam Sale in Gaming. They aren't even in the same vicinity, I don't see how they could affect each other. Plus the sale thread is gonna be sale thread craziness, people still need a place to talk about games that they are playing too! I probably shouldn't be one to talk though as I haven't been posting much here recently (Damn you multi-console backlogs!), but I still like coming in to read what everyones up to. Heck having the sale thread and steam community thread apart is a good thing, cause the Winter Sale thread is gonna be filled with "is this game worth it?" and damage lists posts.

jshackles

no no i mean in the game that i showed before : http://store.steampowered.com/app/283820/

Oh, that's new. I'll have to see about updating the regional price selection code. It may not be feasible though unless this becomes common practice.

In the mean time, you can look at the individual sub pages for each tier which will show the regional price feature:

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/39156/
http://store.steampowered.com/sub/56117/
http://store.steampowered.com/sub/39160/
http://store.steampowered.com/sub/56116/

Parsnip

Wow, that's a lot of good stuff.
Must buy for anyone who doesn't own any of them yet for sure.

Tizoc

Come my Euro friends~
800px-Hazama_(Continuum_Shift,_Story_Mode_Illustration,_2).png

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Tizoc, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

header.jpg

BlazBlue: Continuum Shift Extend -- MB-66227CBB3CBF7FC0 - Taken by BernardoOne. 51 entrants total.
Tropico 4 Collector's Bundle -- MB-76696C9B5088DEB9 - Taken by Natty1. 4 entrants total.
The Book of Unwritten Tales Digital Deluxe Edition -- MB-6B9B584F8E90DBDE - Taken by trailmix16. 5 entrants total.

t1418329183z1.png

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Hot. If you never gave these games a chance, this is the time to do it.

StAidan

I played Xeodrifter. Impressions and Let's Play below:
[snip]

Great impressions, I had my eye on Xeodrifter and now it's on my wishlist.

In other news, I picked up that Lara Croft + Season Pass price error yesterday and still have not seen a refund notification, so I'm starting to think I might be safe from key revocation. I played the first stage of the game this morning and had a lot of fun with it. Even so, it definitely seems better than Guardian of Light based on the little I've seen.

I'm getting really tired of screen refresh issues I've been seeing ever since building my PC.

Basically, games have horrible tearing if I don't have V-Sync on. If I turn V-Sync on, the tearing is fixed, but everything has tiny jiddering/stuttering in movement.

Zeeman

Looked like a kind of interesting word game in the weekly sales, so I bought one for me and one for you:

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Zeeman, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Lexica -- MB-5C086E729EE38EC4 - Taken by PunishedSnake. 2 entrants total.

t1418319763z1.png

Vazduh

Not steam, but hopefully someone's interested in this:

The closed beta is scheduled to start on the evening of December 12 (and slightly later at midnight for Russian readers) and ends on December 14.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Vazduh, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

World of Warships beta -- MB-E1E6D0BC3262C1BF

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of Toki767, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 6 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Toki767, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Pay it forward. You can only win this game if you've given away a game since you last won a game (minimum one total giveaway).
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Hatoful Boyfriend -- MB-253413D621A825B0 - Taken by Kurt Russell. 29 entrants total.
The Banner Saga -- MB-0A5F7CFBD710544F - Taken by alr1ght. 28 entrants total.
The Legend of Korra -- MB-2B32284EBB89DF1B - Taken by WinterDemons. 42 entrants total.
Transistor -- MB-6BD075D8CCE87B26 - Taken by Varg. 53 entrants total.
t1cxE6r.gif
South Park: The Stick of Truth -- MB-A3B7AB58E410C5D0 - Taken by PunishedSnake. 46 entrants total.
Child of Light -- MB-DC4E40ACA6C431F2 - Taken by Servizio. 51 entrants total.

t1418322759z1.png

ysboss7xus2.png

Haha, so close. That boss was a lot of fun on normal difficulty, I can't imagine how hard it would be on nightmare. Has anyone here tried it?

I did that.

It sucked. I almost quit. You need to have maxed everything and have the best gear and yet it's still a giant pain in the ass. 1 or 2 mistakes or bad patterns and boom, game over, try again. It took me hours.

The end boss is another pain in the ass, but he's more RNG than anything with getting a good pattern... as long as you have the optimal loadout for it.

this doesnt match the generosity of other gaffers, but maybe someone doesnt have these yet

ModBot said:
Instructions for trailmix16:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

I am giving away 5 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (trailmix16, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Thief Gold- -- MB-8F3EF22A135C9553 - Taken by Vlad. 2 entrants total.
Ballpoint Universe- -- MB-CA0E4FD097C652DE - Taken by Se7enSword. 1 entrants total.
Teleglitch- -- MB-0D350126CF39DA24
Payday 2 masks- -- MB-2C065F7E2D64448D
One Way Heroics- -- MB-26D6F244C4D7F8E5 - Taken by Purkake4. 1 entrants total.

aku:jiki

Damn, I don't own a single Arkham game so I guess I own another bundle now. Bundles are on a bit of a roll lately after a few months of nothing but shit.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Fuck OFF. Are you kidding me Warner Bros ? You show no fucking signs of interest whatsoever and when someone actually takes the time to do something about it you oppose ? Bastards. Utter bastards.

Yeah, the situation is unfortunate. I'll be banging my head on the desk if WB is granted yet another extension -- surely three months is enough. Night Dive's CEO actually added me on Steam the other week and we had a bit of a chat. He asked me not to post the details he shared, but I can say that he didn't find out about WB's opposition filing until he read about it here on GAF, haha. ;)

Knurek

Yeah, the situation is unfortunate. I'll be banging my head on the desk if WB is granted yet another extension -- surely three months is enough. Night Dive's CEO actually added me on Steam the other week and we had a bit of a chat. He asked me not to post the details he shared, but I can say that he didn't find out about WB's opposition filing until he read about it here on GAF, haha.

Surely Night Dive must be slowly running out of good DOS era games to re-release by now?
I mean, what are we missing exactly? Legend Entertainment games, but most of these used licensed IPs, and as such would be quite hard to secure... What else, Dark Heart of Uukrul? I don't think that one would sell, certainly didn't when it was released. :]

Top Bottom