• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | Discussion Thread - Everyone's favorite PC Platform

Pakkidis

It's been interesting reflecting over the weekend on how fragile some institutions are and how quickly they can be nuked into orbit. Like in the flash of an eye.

Shame that 'Gaf was scuttled so quickly & unceremoniously.

I always viewed it as a Community with a capitol C, its true value being those who participated, not a single individual who founded the site.

Perhaps new and exciting forums can rise from the ashes but I gotta be honest that I'm sad that 'Gaf is being abandoned so easily. I always respected the zero hate-speech policy and when I look at the vile quality of discourse allowed at peer sites like Reddit, it makes me sad that some of the best people here are jumping ship.

Oddly, 'Gaf has always felt like a social safe space of sorts. Maybe it's naive or whatever, but it seemed like people here (site-wide) always stood up for demographics that might have seen abuse in other online communities.

Anyway, adios Steam 'Gaf. Always enjoyed this little community the best.

Agreed, I actually preferred Gafs strict moderation, I believe it was the reason neogaf became one of the premiere forums on the internet. Its interesting to see the different reactions and experiences people have had here. Gaf was about the community and not a single individual.

venomenon

I've been lurking most of the time but closely followed SteamGAF for years. Thanks for all the recommendations, giveaways, anime discussion (wait, scratch that) and general entertainment.

Bye guys, hope to see you elsewhere some day.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
I'll miss Saoirse.

There, I said it.

Not that vile anime filth tho.

Too bad Discord isn't my thing at all and I'm not putting any faith into a certain planned new forum considering the people involved are the main reason I stopped posting on GAF in general, gotta assume it'll become just as unbearable real fast. Oh well, whatcanyoudo, wherever SteamGAF ends up I'll at least lurk a bit.
You can always try Opencritic. There's a few of us there

Ban Puncher

5aLqxFs.gif

Endruen

Wow, it's so sad to see this community go away like that.
I just want to thank all of you for all the news, the games and the laughs.
Looking for what happened to GAF made me realize people from outside it thinks GAF is a bad community (¿?) but you guys really are the best part of GAF.
I've sent some friend requests and here's my profile.
I've never used Discord and I wasn't planning to, but you better be goddamn sure I'll for all of you.
And for those who won't go there, I'll miss you.
See you on the other side.

Hristi

7VL5FpF.png

Hello,

I’ve been tasked to send invites to members on SteamGAF, to allow people to migrate if things get worse or shit hits the fan, the majority of SteamGAF is on Discord, you can use this link to visit it. Currently the goal is join with ResetERA and create a new Steam community there, I hope you understand why many of us have gone down this route. I’ve been tasked to send out this invite to help any other members who have not heard about this and to act as a representative of who can be trusted.

QUOTE TO SEE LINK

You do not need to need to use your GAF alias if you feel unsafe.

Apologies if you are already on there.

It's been an honor serving SteamGAF over the past couple of years and I hope to see you on the other side.

Regards,

MRORANGE - http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198001310229

I'm gonna lurk there too..

Athleon

It was fun lurking here. Thankfully I already have quite a few of you on my steam list. It's nice to see everyone's screenshots, reviews etc. Hopefully the rebuild will go well. Good luck!

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
sad to see so many old (and new) friends leaving the site but I hope that we can still be friends. I'll still be around and posting into the Steam threads like always, and I would welcome (or welcome back) anyone that wants to join me in discussing our favorite PC gaming platform going forward.

Anteater

sad to see so many old (and new) friends leaving the site but I hope that we can still be friends. I'll still be around and posting into the Steam threads like always, and I would welcome (or welcome back) anyone that wants to join me in discussing our favorite PC gaming platform going forward.

why are you even staying >.>

Pakkidis

People like jshackles is why I still plan to lurk on Steam Threads :)

Thats great to hear, i cant understand the drama anyway.

Btw, Kudos for the work on ES and its latest update.

SSPssp

YAY! :)

Well I finally got Battle Brothers. Super excited.
I also finally started playing Darkest Dungeon and that has been going well.... though many have died.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Thats great to hear, i cant understand the drama anyway.

Btw, Kudos for the work on ES and its latest update.

Thanks! That reminds me - while gaf was offline I released a new version of Enhanced Steam.

• Added the ability to activate multiple product codes at once to product activation page
  • Improved compatibility with HTTPS Everywhere extension
  • Fixed formatting of wishlist numbers on profile pages to match Valve's visual style
  • Updated visual style of wishlist pages and made item names on wishlists clickable
  • Fixed a bug where badge links on market listings weren't linking to the correct page
  • Fixed a bug that caused wishlist reviews to be incorrect for games with no review data
  • Removed market game list collapsing as this feature was added to Steam by Valve
  • Removed ACRTAG app warning messages as this feature now applies universally to all apps

And of course as always I'm happy to help with any problems that come up. Some Firefox users are reporting slowdown issues and I'm investigating those this morning.

Hektor

As most of SteamGAF doesn't further want to support this site, and with the new changes in moderation and "policies" also feels no longer welcome as first ragefilled screams about "sjw's" surface on gamingside, i think i can speak for everyone when i say we'll miss you.

I think you know, but you'll always be welcome on the other side, you haven't been overly active this year, but you were always a shining pillar of SteamGAF nonetheless.

Thank you for all the effort you put into ESteam and Idlemastered!

PantsuJo

Thanks! That reminds me - while gaf was offline I released a new version of Enhanced Steam.

• Added the ability to activate multiple product codes at once to product activation page
  • Improved compatibility with HTTPS Everywhere extension
  • Fixed formatting of wishlist numbers on profile pages to match Valve's visual style
  • Updated visual style of wishlist pages and made item names on wishlists clickable
  • Fixed a bug where badge links on market listings weren't linking to the correct page
  • Fixed a bug that caused wishlist reviews to be incorrect for games with no review data
  • Removed market game list collapsing as this feature was added to Steam by Valve
  • Removed ACRTAG app warning messages as this feature now applies universally to all apps

And of course as always I'm happy to help with any problems that come up. Some Firefox users are reporting slowdown issues and I'm investigating those this morning.
Nice, thank you!

I didn't see that Evilore posted on Gaming side. I find that response and the direction of the site completely lacking.

I'm very thankful for the years with SteamGAF, their dedication to minutiae of Steam, troubleshooting help, and generosity.

See you around the net.

Wok

I have gone through my older posts and private messages. This was the first PM which I received (sorry for disclosing it now, Toma):

XyZS2JD.png

I initially registered on NeoGAF after I discovered it was here that the Steam registry was analysed, long before steamdb.info was a thing. It took about 6 months to be registered.

YRKtBDW.png

I also wanted to know who JaseC's avatar was:

OAgaOzo.png

And whether Salsa was a girl:

3IBxKKF.png

I have found everything which I wanted to know... and got a lot more than I expected out of it, Deques. Thank you all for everything, and see you on the other side of the mirror Internet.

Deques

I have gone through my older posts and private messages. This was the first PM which I received (sorry for disclosing it now, Toma):

XyZS2JD.png

I initially registered on NeoGAF after I discovered it was here that the Steam registry was analysed, long before steamdb.info was a thing. It took about 6 months to be registered.

YRKtBDW.png

OAgaOzo.png

3IBxKKF.png

I have found everything which I wanted to know... and got a lot more than I expected out of it, Deques. Thank you all for everything, and see you on the other side of the mirror Internet.

Lol, I don't even remember I asked you that. I also learned a lot about steam
Thanks for the good time here, it was fun being here

Hey, I am still using the same avatar

zkylon

zkylewd

XyZS2JD.png

YRKtBDW.png

OAgaOzo.png

3IBxKKF.png

that's lovely, i've been doing the same thing

i've also found long PM conversations with salsa i remembered nothing about lol

Monooboe

Everything is ending in a weird way for me. I'm leaving northern Europe for good next week, I found another home to my cats so I'm on my own for the first time in ten years, I'm selling all my stuff and SteamGAF comes to an end. Sure it all evolves to something else and it will be great to be with you all again once we manage to gather again.

Cruziao

Neo Member
Been lurking SteamGAF for years. always informative always awesome :)
Decided to make an account earlier this year because I want to say thanks to people that constantly shilling House In Fata Morgana (Vazra & Ascheroth I think? THanks dudes) because it turned out to be excellent, and join the SteamGAF discussion.
My account got accepted on June, but I've been really busy with work at that time (till who knows when ;_;) and never managed to properly saying hi here.
And then it's over... that's life I guess.

Thanks for everything SteamGAF, hopefully there's next time.

MUnited83

For you.

I hope you join us on Discord/OpenCritic/ResetEra eventually. SteamGAF is dead and i don't think this thread will ever recover.

MissChief

Defenitely feels like the end of an era for me :( I don’t post that often, but i have been lurking for years .. I doubt SteamGAF will ever recover to former glory, but while some members are still here, I want to thank everybody for the pleasant conversations, news updates and the generous give aways. Xxx

derExperte

You can always try Opencritic. There's a few of us there

Made an account there, time to hedge my bets I guess.

Hey, yea, tried disabling a bunch of features but so far there doesn't seem to be one specific thing that's stalling, seems like pulling any information from outside of Steam takes too long.

Top Bottom