• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | Discussion Thread - Everyone's favorite PC Platform

dex3108

People who complain about UPlay for the sake of complaining have no idea about how it is today (or even the past few years).

It is just sad because even though it has UPlay Ubisoft started adding Steam features to their games like Cards and Steam Achievements. And if I remember correctly UPlay on Steam today is just one time log in and after that it is just splash window that opens and closes automatically.

Monooboe

Oh wow realised it's less than two weeks till I become essentially homeless, time to download all the games I would want to play. When it comes to offline mode, can I go into it later or do I have to do it while I have internet? Also, achievements and such, do I still get them?

Deques

Oh wow realised it's less than two weeks till I become essentially homeless, time to download all the games I would want to play. When it comes to offline mode, can I go into it later or do I have to do it while I have internet? Also, achievements and such, do I still get them?

Some games requires that you are online in order to unlock achievements, as they send signals to the server once the requirement of each achievements has been fulfilled.

There are some games that unlock achievements retroactively, not all games do that.

Monooboe

Some games requires that you are online in order to unlock achievements, as they send signals to the server once the requirement of each achievements has been fulfilled.

There are some games that unlock achievements retroactively, not all games do that.

Ah alright, hmh not going to lie, I do like those achievements.XD I'm guessing games will warn if it's a case of not working completely properly in offline mode.

Uzzy

Agreed. The movies felt...different. Stand Alone Complex + 2nd Gig are probably the best of the series imo.

They're very different. The first movie is a philosophical meditation on personal identity, and asks how you can retain continuity of your personal identity in a world that's ever changing, a body/shell that's changing and even a mind/ghost that's changeable. It answers that question too.
You can't, and your efforts to remain what you are is what limits you.

There's some fantastic action scenes in it, but it's closer to an arthouse movie really.

The series, Stand Alone Complex, on the other hand, is more interested in exploring society's reaction to these changes, through the lens of criminal acts using new technology and social movements emerging from those changes. There's more action, more variety and more time to explore the other characters, with episodes focusing on Saito, Togusa and even Pazu.

I love both of them, though SAC takes it by a nose, mostly due to Mary Elizabeth McGlynn taking the lead vocal role.

Jadax

They're very different. The first movie is a philosophical meditation on personal identity, and asks how you can retain continuity of your personal identity in a world that's ever changing, a body/shell that's changing and even a mind/ghost that's changeable. It answers that question too.
You can't, and your efforts to remain what you are is what limits you.

Absolutely, the movies are great too - I just preferred the series (for some of the reasons you mentioned).

I love both of them, though SAC takes it by a nose, mostly due to Mary Elizabeth McGlynn taking the lead vocal role.

Something I should mention, I never watch anime with dubs - just ruins the 'atmosphere' for me. I know some dubs are amazing, but I've always felt subs is the way to go for anime. It takes some time, but once you get used to it you don't really miss any of the anime whilst reading the subs. The only downside here is if you download bad subs.

The irony of this discussion is that @pantsattack actually wanted to get back into gits because of the English movie - which I thought was terrible. It didn't capture the 'essence' of this world at all. The team was non-existent, the major was...I don't even know. And the villain was a complete shitshow. Maybe he'll realize it too once he watches the series :p

Steam Direct was a mistake
but Cosmic Star Heroine is not long, and it's a good game, so you'll finish it in no time and will have fun, win win situation.
Also, it compacts pretty amazingly (from 5 GB to 2 GB). Literally no excuse not to play the game.
Yeah, i know it's good, but still i literally have no room for another game, currently I'm playing World in Conflict, Killer Instinct, Cold War, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Dark Matter, Clive Barker's Jericho, Blazing Angels 2 and new South Park. I need to finish at least one of them before diving into the new one.
Just read the news. EA should just sell Dead Space. A few publishers would probably pony up some cash for the IP.

They will sit on it of course.
EA sold rights on Wasteland and System Shock, so there is always a chance. Also, fuck EA and modern AAA market in general, i want my AAA singleplayer games from early 00's to come back. I pray that Wolfenstein 2 would sell well, or this industry is probably doomed, if it's not at the endpoint already. As much as i love indies, i fell in love with gaming because stuff like GTA: Vice City and Chronicles of Riddick, i want to see new Max Payne, Portal, S.T.A.L.K.E.R., and not those fucking AAA multiplayer only slot-machines.

Ludens

Banned
Decided to buy Marvel vs Capcom Infinite, can't even change resolution (I have a 1366*768 monitor). Not even DSR works. What a crappy port. There's not even an .ini file I can modify to change resolution.

prudislav

better to do it why you still have internet andthen put steam in offline mode and set it to start into it after all is done ... also beware of denuvo-protected games ,they could randomly ask for reauthorization after first offline week.

How the hell did people ever finish The Witcher 3?

I'm apparently 23 hours in and the game shows no sign of stopping (~level 10).

I haven't even really gone out of my way too much to do some the less central side quests (e.g. the treasure hunts and other standard notice board fare) and still, there's a TON of compelling quests that aren't in the main line, let alone the massive map and the dozens, if not hundreds of POIs on it.

Yeah, I could main quest rush, but that's not how I tend to play these types of games, and you'd miss out on a bunch of interesting stuff that seems like it could have an impact later on.

I know it's been said to be a 100+ hour game, but damn. I might have to work on some other games that'll be shorter to complete before trying to deep dive into The Witcher.

AlexBasch

Anyone in here with a 1050 Ti? I'm looking at that option for my build and it seems it will do the job just fine for 1080p gaming (which is funny since my TV can't really do 1080p but whatever).

I don't plan on playing online games whatsoever so 60fps at single player would be great for me and I see many games work at that range or around in ultra settings. I'm pairing it with a Ryzen 1600 and 8GB of RAM to get started.

Anyone else can share their impressions with that card? I'm not sure if I should be asking this here or in the PC thread.

Jadax

Anyone in here with a 1050 Ti? I'm looking at that option for my build and it seems it will do the job just fine for 1080p gaming (which is funny since my TV can't really do 1080p but whatever).

I don't plan on playing online games whatsoever so 60fps at single player would be great for me and I see many games work at that range or around in ultra settings. I'm pairing it with a Ryzen 1600 and 8GB of RAM to get started.

Anyone else can share their impressions with that card? I'm not sure if I should be asking this here or in the PC thread.
It's a good low-range card. I'm playing all games on ultra. I had issues in Witcher 3 (but that's because I forgot to turn off the hair options) and Wildlands (maybe my cpu isn't the best - ryzen 1400).

Just keep in mind that upcoming games (1-2years) will most definitely not work smoothly on ultra (e.g. new Assassin's Creed).

Hektor

It's kinda crazy how PiranhaBytes is basically a 30 man indiestudio making far too ambitious games in an incredibly unpolished manner at full retail price of 60€ a flock and being successful at doing so.

Phinor

Checked and nothing for me. Where did you see it?

They do send a decent amount of free games through GFE but decent means your chances of actually winning something are still minuscule considering the millions of users they have. Ten thousand games, ten million users, and you have one in thousand chance of winning and that's probably way higher number than the actual chance is. It's a decent size lottery win to get something through GFE.

KainXVIII

And speaking of Visceral Games, fuck you EA for not putting out one of their games, Dante's Inferno, on the PC platform. Fucking EA...

It really (i mean REALLY) not very good game, beat it in 2017 and wow, some moments (like mandatory challenge arenas) are just inexcusable.

derFeef

Jonathan Blow was gonna stream South Park yesterday until he realized it had uPlay and refunded it immediately, and ended the stream.

Uh... okay. Does he follow the game industry at all? As a dev? Because that seems like a schtick rather than "just happening". He can't be oblivious about who made that game, right?

Hektor

Uh... okay. Does he follow the game industry at all? As a dev? Because that seems like a schtick rather than "just happening". He can't be oblivious about who made that game, right?

I've only seen a bit of his Zelda stream but he seems to be a DSP

Ludens

Banned
I'm using Idlemaster and I'm not getting drops. 3 hours for each game, not even a card dropped. It's strange, yesterday it worked like usual.

The main thing I remember about Dante Inferno’s is the penultimate fight where they shove all the political layers of hell from the source material that they couldn’t easily make trashy themed areas out of into a survival arena.

Tizoc

Well, the first one didn't use uPlay so that's why he was surprised.

And I mean, just because you're a developer it doesn't mean you keep track of what DRM/3rd party client is required for all games.
Blow confirmed to not use enhanced steam :p

Any backers know what the status of La Mulana 2 currently is?

One I meant to back but forgot about. Only Nightcry has failed me so far ks wise. Garbo

Any backers know what the status of La Mulana 2 currently is?

One I meant to back but forgot about. Only Nightcry has failed me so far ks wise. Garbo

"So, we've finished almost every map except the special areas, like the last dungeon.
Also we still need to make some adjustments, but all the enemies and bosses are functioning. Traps and puzzles are also properly set.
These days we are concentrating on the events and such. "

From October 13th.

Ladekabel

It's kinda crazy how PiranhaBytes is basically a 30 man indiestudio making far too ambitious games in an incredibly unpolished manner at full retail price of 60€ a flock and being successful at doing so.

There ain’t no tuition for having no ambition. Apparently even in Germany.

How the hell did people ever finish The Witcher 3?

I'm apparently 23 hours in and the game shows no sign of stopping (~level 10).

I haven't even really gone out of my way too much to do some the less central side quests (e.g. the treasure hunts and other standard notice board fare) and still, there's a TON of compelling quests that aren't in the main line, let alone the massive map and the dozens, if not hundreds of POIs on it.

Yeah, I could main quest rush, but that's not how I tend to play these types of games, and you'd miss out on a bunch of interesting stuff that seems like it could have an impact later on.

I know it's been said to be a 100+ hour game, but damn. I might have to work on some other games that'll be shorter to complete before trying to deep dive into The Witcher.

By putting 100 hours into it.
Don't rush but don't obsess over POIs either.

Jonathan Blow was gonna stream South Park yesterday until he realized it had uPlay and refunded it immediately, and ended the stream as a result.

Good. This is also the reason I haven't bought the Stick of Truth either. Why can't all companies release their games on GOG?

Top Bottom