• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | Discussion Thread - Everyone's favorite PC Platform

Flying Fish

Neo Member
Picked up Witcher 3 GOTY for 20 bucks. I thought the first one was decent, but I definitely saw the foundations for a masterpiece in that mess. And the thread is saying I should play through Witcher 2 next, so I'll do that assuming that I haven't overdosed on RPGs after Etrian Odyssey V and Planscape: Torment

MissChief

Thinking about getting Evil Within 2, but I never played the first one ... what do you guys recommend ? Getting the first one first, or skipping it ?

The only sales I buy from steam are the summer and winter sale because you can get cards you can use to level up or sell. Not like any other sale has lower prices other than currency fluxtuation.

That or games who get launch discounts then never again.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
I just got banned from uploading user generated content for 24 hours

for an unedited screenshot of The Witcher 1

from June 25th, 2013.

Thanks Steam

This is from a few days ago, but I just saw this on reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Steam/comments/77bieq/nsfw_really_valve_2_years_later_suddenly_this/

Warning, it's a butt from Witcher 3. There's also a Killing Floor screenshot from 2011 that isn't actually a shot of the game that apparently got someone banned for a day as well. I wonder what the deal is. Maybe cleaning out the report queue to get ready for the UI update?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
This is from a few days ago, but I just saw this on reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Steam/comments/77bieq/nsfw_really_valve_2_years_later_suddenly_this/

Warning, it's a butt from Witcher 3. There's also a Killing Floor screenshot from 2011 that isn't actually a shot of the game that apparently got someone banned for a day as well. I wonder what the deal is. Maybe cleaning out the report queue to get ready for the UI update?

Bans for NSFW screenshots are not supposed to be issued in cases where the game is flagged as having adult content and the Steam Community hub is gated with a warning that categorically states the content may not be suitable for all audiences or viewing at work, plus I would imagine the rule against posting NSFW stuff doesn't really apply to older games whose hubs went live prior to the introduction of the adult content flag (instead, Valve should be informed that said flag needs to be attached to the app). Considering reports are examined by moderators rather than Valve itself, my guess is that somebody was recently promoted and (s)he's screwing up.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
Bans for NSFW screenshots are not supposed to be issued in cases where the game is flagged as having adult content and the Steam Community hub is gated with a warning that categorically states the content may be suitable for all audiences or viewing at work. Considering reports are examined by moderators rather than Valve itself, my guess is that somebody was recently promoted and (s)he's screwing up.

I figured they moved into a new office partly to have a bigger, dedicated support staff so we could be seeing them in action right here.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I figured they moved into a new office partly to have a bigger, dedicated support staff so we could be seeing them in action right here.

It's certainly possible that some fresh faces among the support staff have taken it upon themselves to help with the Steam Community report queue and are making poor decisions.

Uzzy

I finish work today at 17:00. Life is Strange: Before the Storm - Episode 2 comes out at 17:01.

Traffic better be hella light.

Apparently it's not just main menu, but every UI element in Blazing Angels 2 doesn't have proper scaling, crosshair is ridiculously tiny even on 1080p and it's pain in the ass to properly target enemies.

Another fantastic short puzzle game from the creator of Klocki, Zenge and Hook. In this one your job is to push all the buttons in each puzzle in a specific sequence on the 3D surface.

In each puzzle you could be matching numbers, shapes, following numerical sequences, following directions and more. In later levels parts of the puzzle can be rotated and moved as the puzzle appears on on all surfaces. New concepts are usually introduced well in short puzzles before expanding the concept to more complex ones and there was only one early on that involved counting up and then down that was a little unclear.

At about an hour of so the game doesn't outstay his welcome and is a steal at the low price.

I thought the first one is superior in most aspects
I have played through the first and thought it had potential but fell short in a lot of ways in the main story, though I quite enjoyed the Kidman DLC. Haven't played 2 yet, but I've been hopeful of its improvement -- why would you consider the first superior?

Hektor

I have played through the first and thought it had potential but fell short in a lot of ways in the main story, though I quite enjoyed the Kidman DLC. Haven't played 2 yet, but I've been hopeful of its improvement -- why would you consider the first superior?

The first one did a lot more with its setting of being in a dreambased matrix. There was a lot of surrealism and variety going on combined with a much stronger art direction. The second one takes place near entirely in two kinds of places: generic laboratories and generic american suburbans.

The first game also had a better sense of pacing due to its linearity (tho that wasn't perfect by any means), where as the second one has you spending a lot of time following questmarkers and exploring buildings filled with generic zombies. This also results oftentimes in a lot of backtracking because you need certain keyitems to continue the story, but the game doesn't allow you to pick them up until you triggered the start of that story segment, meaning that you'll have to revisit all the places you saw them if you explored the world before continuing the story.

Coming with that, the encounter design in the hubworlds is pretty weak as well, with a much bigger focus on its somewhat janky stealthsystems, especially if you play on higher difficulties.

The bosses are really forgettable, the most memorable being (spoiler obviously)
The reused bosses of the first game presented as power fantasy for the player

The elements that i liked about the first game are still in TEW2, but they're much thinner spread, mostly in the last third of the game.

For me it's defintiely one of the disappointments of this year, but of course this is all entirely subjective so ymmv

Ludens

Banned
How is Star Ocean? Never played a chapter, I don't like the character design so much, the UI seems confusing, is the game good at least?

MissChief

The first one did a lot more with its setting of being in a dreambased matrix. There was a lot of surrealism and variety going on combined with a much stronger art direction. The second one takes place near entirely in two kinds of places: generic laboratories and generic american suburbans.

The first game also had a better sense of pacing due to its linearity (tho that wasn't perfect by any means), where as the second one has you spending a lot of time following questmarkers and exploring buildings filled with generic zombies. This also results oftentimes in a lot of backtracking because you need certain keyitems to continue the story, but the game doesn't allow you to pick them up until you triggered the start of that story segment, meaning that you'll have to revisit all the places you saw them if you explored the world before continuing the story.

Coming with that, the encounter design in the hubworlds is pretty weak as well, with a much bigger focus on its somewhat janky stealthsystems, especially if you play on higher difficulties.

The bosses are really forgettable, the most memorable being (spoiler obviously)
The reused bosses of the first game presented as power fantasy for the player

The elements that i liked about the first game are still in TEW2, but they're much thinner spread, mostly in the last third of the game.

For me it's defintiely one of the disappointments of this year, but of course this is all entirely subjective so ymmv

thanks for the review :) Will pick up the first game first

derFeef

thanks for the review :) Will pick up the first game first

I really like the first one, I really do. But I also equally hate it because it has some serious issues - so be warned that while it is way better in some ways than the second, newer game - it also is way worse in other areas - especially those areas that can be frustrating as hell.

Ban Puncher

tumblr_mgh0a6tS8G1s1popdo1_400.gif

Javier23

Banned
Picked up Witcher 3 GOTY for 20 bucks. I thought the first one was decent, but I definitely saw the foundations for a masterpiece in that mess. And the thread is saying I should play through Witcher 2 next, so I'll do that assuming that I haven't overdosed on RPGs after Etrian Odyssey V and Planscape: Torment
TW2 is a fun, relatively short romp. At least when compared to the behemoth that is TW3. I finished TW2 in a bit over 30 hours. I am still in the process of finishing TW3 at 140 hours.

Teggy

How is the first game compared to the sequel?

👏

Amazing game.

I'm going to have to step in here and say if you have never played Mafia before and are not colored by nostalgia, you may not find it to be a very good game. I played it a couple of years ago for the first time and it's probably the worst game I've ever played. Compared to any modern game, the driving is terrible, the world is empty and boring, the shooting is terrible, and the checkpoints are terrible. The only thing it has going for it is the story.

Top Bottom