• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Greenlight: 1000 games and counting, more Greenlit every few weeks

beril

Jools seems like a cool guy, but he really does confuse me. Even Wayforward is backing off from the Nintendo DD support lately, I don't quite understand why Renegade Kid support the eShop as fervently as they do.

Why not? apparently Mutant Mudds was at least somewhat successful, and nintendo platforms seems to be the easiest to publish for these days, apart from iOS, which I can understand them not being keen on

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller

Hmn? Well I want to submit a game eventually I've been working on since the beginning of the year, but I either want to wait until I get a bit further to take videos and screens of a near complete project, or wait until the concept section opens up so I can submit it to that in the meantime. My headset recently stopped getting audio from the left speaker, so thought I'd just buy a new set soon as I had been meaning too. But a $100 Greenlight Submission Pass purchase will make it I couldn't afford it this month as I always keep money in reserve for emergencies and try to put $200 into savings.

If you mean explain the game, essentially it's a passion project for my love of psychological-thrillers and the quirky (if not a bit cheesy) works of Junji Ito, David Lynch, and odd-minded but incredibly charming, surreal, and dark narratives and worlds. Combining that also with my love for certain genres of gaming, and the idea that I've had a life type simulator like Animal Crossing or Harvest Moon would be really interesting to combine with a psychological thriller-type game. I think seeing such a thing in action is better than trying to explain it, as well I don't want to get too into details until I have plenty to show for it. Concepts are cheap, production is worth a lot more.

Blizzard

Banned
The $100 is only per submission, correct? And then you can update the submission as many times as you want?

Also, is there anyway way to jump to the Greenlight page without going through the (potentially spoiler-screenshot--filled) community hub etc. page?

The $100 is only per submission, correct? And then you can update the submission as many times as you want?

Also, is there anyway way to jump to the Greenlight page withou going through the (potentially spoiler-screenshot--filled) community hub etc. page?

My understanding is $100 per account, unlimited submissions from that account.

It's really not that different from putting a game on iOS. There's a $100 yearly licensing fee, if I'm remembering right.

Edit: But with iOS you'll get on there for sure so I guess it is different, haha.

Dejoban Games looking to cover the $100 fee for some poor aspiring indie dev:

If you want to submit to Steam Greenlight, but feel you can’t because of the required $100 Child’s Play donation, I want to make it possible. Here’s my money where my mouth is:

I will loan $100 to one awesome aspiring indie developer. (Read on.)
I’m calling on other established indie developers to do the same.

But you ain’t alone, right? Look: I’ll loan one indie $100 to submit their game on Steam’s Greenlight platform. For consideration, you must do this:

Email: Contact me (support@dejobaan.com) with a link to your game’s website by September 10th, 2012.

Say: In the e-mail, a) tell me a bit about your game, b) tell me a bit about yourself, and c) promise me that you realize that nobody owes you anything, and that you’ll pay me back before the end of the year.

Disseminate: Spread the word so that other indies will offer similar loans.

By the end of this month, I’ll pick someone I feel is awesome, and loan ‘em the cash.

http://www.dejobaan.com/greenlight100/

Sanic

$100 fee is reasonable, but as has been stated, it remains to be seen as to if it's worth it or not, as even the most popular games have a good ways to go until they hit the required threshold, and it remains to be seen how often games are selected when that threshold is actually reached, let alone before.

Jintor

I don't really think downvoting helped anything but trolling to be honest. Upvoting is great, reporting for anything rule-breaking or trollage is fine, but I don't see that downvoting is useful compared to actual criticism, etc.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
I don't really think downvoting helped anything but trolling to be honest. Upvoting is great, reporting for anything rule-breaking or trollage is fine, but I don't see that downvoting is useful compared to actual criticism, etc.

See, this is what I don't like anymore. It gives me a list of games to go through rather than letting me browser. I don't want to downvote anything, I'd rather just pass it by to stuff I find more interesting.

It makes me feel bad =[

Sanic

See, this is what I don't like anymore. It gives me a list of games to go through rather than letting me browser. I don't want to downvote anything, I'd rather just pass it by to stuff I find more interesting.

It makes me feel bad =[

It's done in part to remove the desire for people to go through and attempt to rate literally every game, which was done by people in this very thread.

Jintor

It would be something if on start-up Steam presented a single random game idea to you that you haven't rated yet. "Do you like it? Y/N" Kind of like an amazon suggestions thing. You'd probably clear the backlog in two weeks.

DTKT

It would be something if on start-up Steam presented a single random game idea to you that you haven't rated yet. "Do you like it? Y/N" Kind of like an amazon suggestions thing. You'd probably clear the backlog in two weeks.

Yes and no. To be honest, I don't want to be shown a game every time I log in. Then, most people will quickly rate it just by looking at the icon. That seems like an unfair way to judge an entire game. You can't show much in a 120x120 jpg.

For example, "Heroes and Generals" (http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=93051095&searchtext=heroes+and+generals) is an ambitious FPS with a commander mode and large scale battles. Thing is, it's icon is just terrible. It shows nothing about the actual content.

Jintor

Yes and no. To be honest, I don't want to be shown a game every time I log in. Then, most people will quickly rate it just by looking at the icon. That seems like an unfair way to judge an entire game. You can't show much in a 120x120 jpg.

For example, "Heroes and Generals" (http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=93051095&searchtext=heroes+and+generals) is an ambitious FPS with a commander mode and large scale battles. Thing is, it's icon is just terrible. It shows nothing about the actual content.

Yeah, I see what you mean. Better to leave it to people who are actually there to look at games, I guess.

Blizzard

Banned
I keep seeing some people say La-Mulana is amazing, and I don't really understand the appeal myself, so I wrote up comments regarding the videos on Steam:

1. The starting music is kind of annoying.

2. The little doll thing in the lower right corner is kind of suuuper annoying.

3. I don't think I typically like hard games or games where you're supposed to die over and over, which the tutorial suggests will happen.

4. The computer interface looks unnecessary, a bit complicated, and clunky. Why not a normal menu system?

5. The graphics in general look like SNES or GBA, but lower-quality or something like that. Like say, a Warioland or Metroid game but not as polished, which is of course to be expected since it's presumably just one or two people making it.

6. After 6 and a half minutes of that doll thing bleeping at me, I'm half insane.

Overall I'm sure it's a big accomplishment for a small team, just not something that I'd want to play or something that looks super amazing to me.

New features are kinda so-so

1. I like the new vote buttons, it's a lot clearer what you're voting for now. Would be funny if Steam sent you notifications once the games you voted for were approved: "Hey, remember this game you voted for? Put your money where your mouth is, jackass!"

2. The queues are a good addition since I don't have to open 6+ tabs to get anywhere but limiting it to 12 is weird. Step in the right direction though.

3. Removing stats is BS but I guess they didn't want people to focus too much on numbers when they haven't figured them out themselves. I hope they bring them back some time.

4. Entry fee was necessary but they could have started with $50 to see whether that's enough to weed out most of the shit. At least it goes to Child's Play I guess.

Wok

Seems like they changed the vote. Now it just asks you if you would buy the game. So all those votes and visits wasted?

This explains why the section about rated games lists 160 games, these are the games I have upvoted. The others are hidden. My strategy of favoriting every game I upvote is irrelevant, except if Valve resetted the downvotes and kept the upvotes, which would have trimmed my rated games list in the same way, but then I would expect to see all these games in the "games to rate" section, which is not the case.

But my strategy of upvoting/downvoting was the appropriate one: upvote what you might buy.

So:
  • the section about games yet to rate works, the games appear in an order which looks both sorted by date and a bit random,
  • the section about games already rated only shows upvoted games,
  • the section about most recent additions shows every games sorted by date

But I cannot cast a vote since the new buttons don't work.

@EdmundMcMillenn
Fun fact: entering the igf costs 100$, i entered 3 games a year for 7 years, this is long before SMB and Isaac... quit bitchin *Greenlight*

Basically this.

It's $100 to get your game pretty much guaranteed to be seen by thousands of people, with a bonus chance of getting your game on the biggest game portal in the world.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
It's done in part to remove the desire for people to go through and attempt to rate literally every game, which was done by people in this very thread.

Its asking me directly if I would buy the game or not. I understand why they want it, but I just don't like the question. Its loaded to me. I think there are many titles on the service that would preform well on the system, but I have no interest in buying a Point and Click title. Same with Visual novels. Same with many of the bit style games, because their artstyle just doesn't appeal to me.

An example point for this would be VVVVV. Many Gaffers claim it to be one of the best platformers of the generation. I would say outright that if I had to look at it on this service, I would have voted against it.

Nor would I say that it is preventing me from rating every title. Exact opposite. Before I would browser and take my time. Looking for title I like. Now I'm just churning through their self-made lists. Good side is that it is giving me a more titles to look at, without obnoxious repeats. Downside is that I've started to down vote games.

This is my own personal misgivings. It makes sense from the business standpoint.

Haunted

Every upvote is actually a preorder and Steam automatically buys the game for you once it's approved.

What? You said you'd buy the game if it appears on Steam!

Acosta

Every upvote is actually a preorder and Steam automatically buys the game for you once it's approved.

What? You said you'd buy the game if it appears on Steam!

hahaha

I's funny because I came to the thread to comment my doubts about how to deal with the vote thing.

-I want to actively participate in Greenlight.

-I don't want to be a dick. If a game looks good enough I have no problem with it getting into even if I'm not really interested. I don't want to downvote something just because I'm personally uninterested.

-But I need a way to discard games from my list and it seems voting is the only way.

I wish Valve explained how the thumb down actually works. It should be an "ignore" not a negative point.

hahaha

I's funny because I came to the thread to comment my doubts about how to deal with the vote thing.

-I don't want to be a dick. If a game looks good enough I have no problem with it getting into even if I'm not really interested. I don't want to downvote something just because I'm personally uninterested.

-But I need a way to discard games from my list and it seems voting is the only way.

I wish Valve explained how the thumb down actually works. It should be an "ignore" not a negative point.

I think the curent system is pretty much crystal clear now and it differs from what I originally thought, so I had to go back to be upvoted list and reevaluate some games.

Now the question is clear: Is this game something that you would consider buying? By upvoting and downvoting, you're not only expressing your opinion in the specific game, but also letting Valve know what your gaming preferences are.

So I feel that the best voting "system" is to just be honest. Take a good look at the game and upvote it if you would actually consider buying it at some point. Downvote if it is something that you would never buy, regardless of objective quality.

Valve only considers upvotes, so it basically is an ignore button.

Oh, nice.

There are so many games on the service that I have absolutely no opinion on. Games I don't think I'd ever play, but it looks like someone put a bunch of work into them and might have something cool that people enjoy.

Misguided

Banned
Greenlight is bullshit: it seems that Steam have replaced the traditional way of submitting your games to the service (where you filled out a form thing that you could find at the bottom of the Steam page) with the Greenlight service altogether, but really, how many games are going to make it this way? A good few great games are being buried beneath utter trash (FRACT OSC, Trip, init, Incredipede...) and they just aren't getting the votes. How is this going to help independent developers at all? Plus the arbitrary $100 fee doesn't really help matters.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
hahaha

They actually changed the text for the buttons yesterday.

Now it says:
Would you buy this game if it were available in Steam?
(thumbs up) Yes
(thumbs down) No thanks / Not interested

Which is much clearer that a thumbs-down is[/b just you saying you're personally uninterested.

TimmiT

Greenlight is bullshit: it seems that Steam have replaced the traditional way of submitting your games to the service (where you filled out a form thing that you could find at the bottom of the Steam page) with the Greenlight service altogether, but really, how many games are going to make it this way? A good few great games are being buried beneath utter trash (FRACT OSC, Trip, init, Incredipede...) and they just aren't getting the votes. How is this going to help independent developers at all? Plus the arbitrary $100 fee doesn't really help matters.

EDIT: Actually, just read Stumpokapow's reply below. It's much better than mine was.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Greenlight is bullshit: it seems that Steam have replaced the traditional way of submitting your games to the service (where you filled out a form thing that you could find at the bottom of the Steam page) with the Greenlight service altogether, but really, how many games are going to make it this way?

Evidently more than made it before, which is the whole point?

A good few great games are being buried beneath utter trash (FRACT OSC, Trip, init, Incredipede...) and they just aren't getting the votes.

- Valve can still manually approve games, they are not going to be slaves to the system
- It's been two days, so we wouldn't expect anything to "get the votes" quite yet.
- Valve still hasn't set the threshold number for how many votes it takes to get to 100%, so we really have no idea whether or not great games wouldn't make the threshold
- On a go-forward basis, when a site like RPS covers one of those great games (which they have in the past and will in the future), they'll be linking the Greenlight page, which will help significantly with discoverability.
- Obviously some of that "utter trash" is of interest to people, and part of the point of this system is Valve admitting that their very small Steam team is not sufficient to fully gauge the taste of their userbase.

Plus the arbitrary $100 fee doesn't really help matters.

What's arbitrary about the fee? They launched the service. It got flooded. A fee is the best way for flood control. A fee much larger and it becomes too expensive for most independents. A fee much smaller and it doesn't deter part-time hobbyists enough. I guess you could argue about $50 or $200, but it seems like it's pretty much in the sweet spot.

Vastag

Taking into account that the service has only been online for a few days and that nobody knows how many votes does a game need to get into steam is difficult to evaluate how useful it's going to be.

Orayn

Greenlight is bullshit: it seems that Steam have replaced the traditional way of submitting your games to the service (where you filled out a form thing that you could find at the bottom of the Steam page) with the Greenlight service altogether, but really, how many games are going to make it this way?

No it hasn't. The traditional submission system is still in place and still being used by the people who would normally use this. Greenlight is an "and," not an "or."

A good few great games are being buried beneath utter trash (FRACT OSC, Trip, init, Incredipede...) and they just aren't getting the votes. How is this going to help independent developers at all? Plus the arbitrary $100 fee doesn't really help matters.

Valve is still working on new ways to help games get exposure on Greenlight, and the vote targets are in no way set in stone.

Also, as Stump said, the fee isn't arbitrary in the slightest. It's there to stem the flow of submissions that are either trolling or so low quality that they shouldn't be on the service t all.

Acosta

No it hasn't. The traditional submission system is still in place and still being used by the people who would normally use this. Greenlight is an "and," not an "or."

For what I have read, this is not like that:

http://www.steampowered.com/steamworks/FAQ.php

It specifies that you must pass the Greenlight process:

2. What do you look for when accepting games for Steam?
Going forward, we’re putting the choice into the hands of customers through Steam Greenlight. You can find about more about Steam Greenlight here.

Or at least that is my interpretation.

Stumpokapow said:
They actually changed the text for the buttons yesterday.

Now it says:
Would you buy this game if it were available in Steam?
(thumbs up) Yes
(thumbs down) No thanks / Not interested

Ah, yes, just found it, thanks. Yes, seems pretty clear now. Good news.

I'm still hopeful about the service and have seen a handful of creative and inspiring projects already that I can't wait to play.

New ideas seem less likely to get traction but that applies to all things. It can be disheartening seeing the things the community rather come out on Steam and the things they'd rather stop. Almost every time I think I know how the community will vote, I'm wrong.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Death Road looks pretty cool, kind of like Wipeout. Popped up in my queue and I hadn't seen it mentioned here.

They may continue to expand and improve Greenlight, but it's a stretch to infer that they're planning to reduce or remove their normal submission pipeline directly.

Didn't they say they hoped to make Greenlight the method to get all games on Steam eventually around the time it was first announced? Might be remembering wrong though.

Seems like a terrible idea to me regardless, Greenlight should only be for indies or games Valve declines.

Top Bottom