• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Greenlight: 1000 games and counting, more Greenlit every few weeks

Mairu

On the face of it, $100 is a non-trivial amount for your basement indie dev. On the other hand, hopefully those with a decently strong pitch would be able to get donations from people interested in the game, in exchange for promises of a game key if the game is accepted.

But wouldn't something smaller like $50 still work as an effective deterrent? It's not an amount of money your average kid would part with for the sake of a prank.

You don't have to (they don't wipe your original votes) -- I just feel compelled to.

I wish I could just wipe my original votes - I did not treat the thumbs up button as something I personally would buy, just something I thought was worth getting put on Steam. The new language makes it much less likely that I will give something a thumbs up.

Ah, thanks. What's the queue thing based on? It showed me twelve games I would NEVER be interested in, heh.

Said in update.

"The second part of this update is to improve your window into Greenlight and help you find “your kind” of games. The next time you visit Steam Greenlight you’ll be shown a smaller, manageable list of games that you haven’t rated. This view is a mix of popular games and new games to Greenlight. "

Miker

Wow, really quick turnaround from Valve. Greenlight has already changed a ton from launch to now, and it's only been just a few days. And I think the $100 to Child's Play is a good idea, although it seems a bit steep.

beril

On the face of it, $100 is a non-trivial amount for your basement indie dev. On the other hand, hopefully those with a decently strong pitch would be able to get donations from people interested in the game, in exchange for promises of a game key if the game is accepted.

But wouldn't something smaller like $50 still work as an effective deterrent? It's not an amount of money your average kid would part with for the sake of a prank.

100$ does seem like quite a lot. 10$ or even 1$ would have dissuaded 90% of the trolls. It won't exactly bankrupt a serious developer, but at this point the service haven't proven wether it's worth it. If I hadn't already submitted my game I would probably wait a few weeks to see if any games actually get approved and get a better grasp of what the chances are before spending any money

Haunted

I'm not sure if I think $100 is too high.

I think Steam wants to send a clear message for whom the service is actually intended beyond just getting rid of joke and troll submissions.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Seems like the new system isn't quite working as intended yet. I've tried to update my queue several times, but I always get games that seem pretty popular to me (ie part of 25 collections or more). Not sure why they felt the need to promote games that are popular already, really, especially when they limit it to 12 games in total (I know I can go the 'most recent' route for all games, but still).

Platy

100% dollar is only too much for people who want to give their money for free, but then again, there ain't no such thing as a free lunch =P

For a $10 game you only need to sell 10 copies outside steam to enter greenlight... and if you can't do that than you are in serious problems even getting into steam =P

I wish I could just wipe my original votes - I did not treat the thumbs up button as something I personally would buy, just something I thought was worth getting put on Steam. The new language makes it much less likely that I will give something a thumbs up.

I still kinda treat then as "worth putting on steam"

Probably will change after I end the games that didn't went by the 100 fee

sflufan

Banned
The $100 fee is absolutely no different than buying a suit for a job interview in the "real world."

Sometimes, you have to fork out money in order to even have the opportunity -- not even a guarantee! -- of being considered to earn money.

I think the $100 donation is a good way of handling it. Cheaper than submitting to WP/XBLIG ($100/yr.) and it goes to a good cause. I do wish they would apply it retroactively, however, for fairness (and give people the opportunity to pull their submission instead if they'd like).

Any signs of life on the supporting alpha / beta front? Also have they mentioned anything about hosting alpha / beta / demo rather than having to refer potential players / testers to an external site (particularly since the text didn't even recognize URLs, kinda hokey)?

Haunted

Is the rated queue really fixed for everyone?

I'm not sure if I still have the bug or have really rated everything, there's no way to tell. >_>

HoosTrax

Is Child's Play a tax deductible charity?
Since this is a charity donation I can deduct it from my taxes, right?

If you are donating via Paypal, each hospital’s charity tax ID number is included in the information section on its wish list. Use your confirmation email as a receipt. If you are making a cash donation, Child’s Play’s own tax ID number is 20-3584556. If you have any questions about how this works, please ask your tax adviser.
source: Penny Arcade

hamchan

$100 is pretty much nothing for any serious developer that wants to get on steam. Classy of Valve to give the money to charity too.

beril

$100 is pretty much nothing for any serious developer that wants to get on steam. Classy of Valve to give the money to charity too.

Of course not; but $100 for getting on Greenlight in it's current state is a different matter. It remains to be seen if it's worth it

Gvaz

Banned
The $100 fee is absolutely no different than buying a suit for a job interview in the "real world."

Sometimes, you have to fork out money in order to even have the opportunity -- not even a guarantee! -- of being considered to earn money.
Exactly this. Everyone complaining about the price, read this. Then reread it. Then read it until your eyes bleed.

VALIS

Good news, now people who are serious about making games can get far better exposure without having to compete with all sorts of noise. I think they should wipe it and start over with the $100 entry fee.

I said when this was announced that the internet at large would make this a mess with pranks, stupid 4chan memes and RPG Maker drek, and alas I was right. Although I'm hardly patting myself on the back for the guess. Predicting the internet at large to be tasteless, trolling and meme-clogged is easy money.

it is a reasonable option, but it makes me sad that they have to make this just for all the trolls and people who can't even read the faq.

DTKT

While going through a queue, you should be able to skip to the next game without having to downvote or upvote.

Mairu

Queue system just seems broken. All the old games I didn't get to vote show up under most recent or all games, but my queue is empty. Generating a new queue does nothing, even if I select every single genre

Top Bottom