• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Greenlight: 1000 games and counting, more Greenlit every few weeks

Sentenza

I think a lot of problems would be solved if they greenlit 15 or 20 games a month instead of just 10.
To be honest I'm not even sure there is a problem to solve.
I'ts not like we are missing out dozens of awesome games ready to release.
If anything, even a good chunk of what was approved so far seems fairly uninteresting.

You have the occasional outlier like Shantae (which on the other hand is promoting itself with a DS/iOS trailer and not even suggesting any improvement on the PC port), but that's pretty much it.

Kouriozan

I thought it was really interesting to see Anodyne have such an amazing success, mostly due to their pirate bay promotion. They really skyrocketed up the ranks. I wonder how many other devs are going to try that approach now.
Considering it worked for Mc Pixel and Anodyne, we can expect some people to do it again.
Still dangerous because it might not work a 3rd time.

I am quite sure, that even if WarZ would need Greenlight, it would be approved in just 1 month, while Games like Shantae, some VNs, 99 Spirits or a lot of quality-titles that are already on Desura are still struggling.

It is a shame that even Dragons Lair made it that fast.

But I also think that 15-20 titles each month would be far better. Right now I think in every batch there are some Games in there, like right now the Surgeon Simulator, that are not quite fit for steam, at least in my opinion. They are kinda "stealing" a place that another title like e.g. Shantae could get.
I also have the impression, that a lot of people are always voting for F2P-Games. I do not think it is bad, when something like Planetside 2 or Tribes will be released on Steam, but at least some F2P-titles, that arent greenlit yet, seems to have a lot of comments.

But maybe I am just mad, that the titles I would like to see on Steam and that I think are worth it, are not on Steam yet.

Wok

I am quite sure, that even if WarZ would need Greenlight, it would be approved in just 1 month, while Games like Shantae, some VNs, 99 Spirits or a lot of quality-titles that are already on Desura are still struggling.

It is the debate about democracy and technocracy. When it comes to indie games, to find good games, you need a feed of information coming from different experts and devs.

Blizzard

Banned
Greenlight said:
------HE IS NAKED BECAUSE THE GAME IS IN DEVELOPMENT------
This is also the same reason you see his hair popping in and out during frames. -- I realize a lot of people like/dislike the nudity. This is just a template, we will be making many different gear sets for our hero. If you like the nudity, we are talking about making an option to switch it on and off. I know there are some sick mother truckers out there. Like me..
Like the first thing I saw in those screens was sprite butt, lol.

Looks like Kairo isn't on Greenlight anymore. Any idea what's going on there? Maybe the dev gave up and decided to just focus on selling through Humble.. don't blame him. Shame though 'cause the game was quite well received.

Nabs

This needs to be on Steam:

Shovel Knight

1ACC0D7E22745E7B2C3B1FFE6D60889291D4C4D7

Shaneus

I just found out that my game has 2230 votes on Steam GL. I thought it had 90, but that was favorites. I'm pretty happy with this!

For those who want to check it
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=93429051

And please give me the greenlight!!
Am I wrong in thinking that's essentially a new, improved iteration of Lemmings?

Because I really like the look of it. Move about the same speed as them in scale, seems to have similar tools... but I'd play the shit out of that, no probs.

Edit: Okay, I just read the rest of the page. Question answered. But I can only upvote once :(

( ;) )

Edit #2: I can understand getting a bit frustrated with the continual comparisons on your Greenlight page (and it's good that you addressed them) but you may want to lighten the tone of your explanation a little. It comes off as a bit snarky and while it didn't put me off from upvoting, it could well deter others.

Having said that, I'll pass the name of the game onto friends who'd like it and hopefully they'll vote as quickly as I did :)

Limanima

Am I wrong in thinking that's essentially a new, improved iteration of Lemmings?

Because I really like the look of it. Move about the same speed as them in scale, seems to have similar tools... but I'd play the shit out of that, no probs.

Edit: Okay, I just read the rest of the page. Question answered. But I can only upvote once :(

( ;) )

Edit #2: I can understand getting a bit frustrated with the continual comparisons on your Greenlight page (and it's good that you addressed them) but you may want to lighten the tone of your explanation a little. It comes off as a bit snarky and while it didn't put me off from upvoting, it could well deter others.

Having said that, I'll pass the name of the game onto friends who'd like it and hopefully they'll vote as quickly as I did :)

You are probably right, I just edited the text. The truth was that I wasn't paying to much attention to GL because I thought I had only 90 votes out of 15.000, but having +2400 is a different matter. I have to be more careful. Thanks for the advice!

Shaneus

You are probably right, I just edited the text. The truth was that I wasn't paying to much attention to GL because I thought I had only 90 votes out of 15.000, but having +2400 is a different matter. I have to be more careful. Thanks for the advice!
No probs :) I can understand how it's your baby and all that sort of stuff, but I was a bit concerned that it might come off as being a little too defensive. Glad you've tidied it up a bit! Hope it all goes well (and if not, you still find a way to finish it and have it available for purchase somewhere else).

Hey guys,

Some good news and bad news... Lets start with the bad.

-- We are going to be removing Empire Eden from Greenlight in 2 weeks. We'll leave it up for 2 weeks so everyone has a chance to make the move to our developers blog and forums.
-- The reason for removing EE from Greenlight was due to a lot of negative feedback with our early build. We are super early in development, and it probably wasn't the right time for us to show it to the world.

The GOOD news!

-- We have a lot more in store for you guys when we resurface in a few months. We are already discussing the possibilities of multiplayer content. (THE SINGLE PLAYER WILL STILL BE THERE! AND BE JUST AS AWESOME!) We have a lot of work to do, and many months before the game is ready to go. Next time we show it, the main character won't be bald! And for all you jack asses who have a hard time reading the description of why he was bald...well...you probably aren't reading this either so never mind.

-- Thanks to all the fans who supported us even at this early stage, I really hope you'll join us on our forums and developers blog. We have a lot to share with you guys in the coming months, and any insight/tips/pointers/comments/concerns/etc etc...we'd like to hear them all... If you have a good idea, there is a high likely hood it will make it into the game! So please join us on our website! --- I sit at home all day by myself with 2 cats working on this game. I'm lonely and I want someone to talk to on the forums.

Once again, this Greenlight submission will be taken down in 2 weeks.. (Don't worry we'll put it up again when the games ready)...

Until then!!! Peace out mother truckers..
- Ryan

www.empireeden.com
source

I think it's a strange move to make but I understand his side.

1-D_FTW

To be honest I'm not even sure there is a problem to solve.
I'ts not like we are missing out dozens of awesome games ready to release.
If anything, even a good chunk of what was approved so far seems fairly uninteresting.

You have the occasional outlier like Shantae (which on the other hand is promoting itself with a DS/iOS trailer and not even suggesting any improvement on the PC port), but that's pretty much it.

The problem is they just generally suck at the entire process. Something like Assetta Corsa should have been submitted through non-Greenlight procedures and Valve should have immediately said, "Oh, shit. Welcome to the family."

Nabs

What the fuck.

Why do they have to go through Greenlight? Frozen Synapse was awesome.

http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/discussion/130862114/810919057027590004/

Hi Lunick,

This was our choice for a number of different reasons...

We can get direct feedback on what people actually think of the game

We can start building up a community on Steam and have a centralised place to release updates and info through development

We believe in Frozen Endzone a great deal. It is a very personal game for us and we want it to succeed in its own right: having it voted onto Steam by the community would mean a lot to us as a vote of confidence

Greenlight is awesome and if slightly more established devs use it then that will benefit everyone. We want to support what Valve are doing

Cheers

Wok

Signal Ops will be released on GOG on April 2.

Ii'm still mulling over if I want to submit today or not. There's not a whole lot to show off yet, but I do have a playable build. I'm trying to gauge the reactions to some other games to see if I would get downvoted for basically just having only a concept at this point.

Wait for the pitch to be perfect. Or you will get unwanted downvotes.

Apparently, I gave a bad piece of advice.

No One Knows About Your Game - Chris Hecker's GDC13 Indie Game Summit Soapbox

Nillansan

Man I hope that Signal Ops and Out There Somewhere are amongst the next batch of Green lit games.

Out There Somewhere has been out for a while now and it was one of the first games that I voted for on Greenlight.

eot

Banned
Ballsy move. I just hope it won`t backfire horribly. They seem to have a pretty niche game and that might prevent them from having enough votes. I just wrote that and I already feel bad for them.

Silly move in my opinion.
I don't know that greenlight is a great place to build community or get good feedback on your game. Greenlight seems more like its own community at this point.

Platy

Man I hope that Signal Ops and Out There Somewhere are amongst the next batch of Green lit games.

Out There Somewhere has been out for a while now and it was one of the first games that I voted for on Greenlight.

A little bird told me that a remastered version with more levels as free dlc and other stuff like mac support might appear to steam soon =3

Salsa

that garbage looks like the kind of thing I really dont want on Steam

it's a shame if the game underneath it is good or whatever but how could you even possibly ignore that aspect of it

ridiculous

Paz

Woah I didn't even realise this thread existed, pretty cool stuff.

I've mostly kept to the indie game development thread but recently we chucked our game up on Greenlight, so check it out if you like twin stick games with a bit of bullet hell - Assault Android Cactus.

Also, Frozen Endzone looks awesome and I respect their reason for using Greenlight, hopefully they are successful because Frozen Synapse was pretty amazing and it would help legitimize Greenlight.

Top Bottom