• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Greenlight: 1000 games and counting, more Greenlit every few weeks

RedSwirl

If a game got through console certification (and in the case of Agarest, even got a retail release on Xbox 360), I especially don't think it should need to go through Greenlight.

Eusis

If a game got through console certification (and in the case of Agarest, even got a retail release on Xbox 360), I especially don't think it should need to go through Greenlight.
Yeah, game's subject matter aside it is kind of shitty to need to go through Greenlight for a game that got RETAIL certification. That's somewhat of a bitch on consoles, so that should be an instant pass here.

Man, if it were something like Trails in the Sky going through this I'd be thumbing it up SO HARD and yelling at everyone else to do so, but I'm guessing Xseed's paved the path to get on right away and skip this crap if Ys I & II is any indication.

Wok

A little bird told me that a remastered version with more levels as free dlc and other stuff like mac support might appear to steam soon =3

Good news. Now that I have played it, I must admit the game is great.

Sentenza

No, and last I checked I think the Greenlight entry hadn't even been updated in months, so maybe the company gave up on getting enough votes in a short enough time period ot get it through.
It's not like they made an actual effort in the first place, to be honest.

Raven77

Okay I see all these indie games always coming out and although they look good they never have any ratings on steam unlike regular games.

Are there any sites out there that review these games from the perspective of someone who plays lots of full retail release games and not just mobile and indie?

Momentary

Banned
Looks like Argarest is going to get Greenlit pretty quickly.

Games I'm hoping that will get get though Greenlight:
Riot - Action Simulator
Hox: The Last Ship- Action Platformer that looks like it could be something pretty cool if they spend more time with it.
Delver's Drop Zelda-esque overhead Action RPG with amazing sprite work.
Vector Parkour Action Sidescrolling Platformer.

Riot and Vector definitely look like they'll make the cut his go around.

Atomski

Okay I see all these indie games always coming out and although they look good they never have any ratings on steam unlike regular games.

Are there any sites out there that review these games from the perspective of someone who plays lots of full retail release games and not just mobile and indie?

You can try TotalBiscuit on youtube.. other than that most sites focus on bigger games cause thats where the moneys at. :/

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.

Maybe he is lamenting the fact that people are going to capcom-test the hell out of this in hopes they'll get a less embarrassing looking Japanese game.

Well that sucks, thanks a lot Greenlight

I think it's pretty clear from the iPhone promotional videos that launched with their page that they didn't even start work on a PC version. If they had put a little more effort into it, it would have gotten through.

People need to understand that the majority of people, including WayForward themselves, just didn't care enough.

Blizzard

Banned
It's not like they made an actual effort in the first place, to be honest.
This is probably true unfortunately. Someone may have suggested that the company didn't have a PC port, and was just using Greenlight to see if there were enough votes to even pay for the porting cost. There may well have not been enough to justify it compared to iOS or whatnot.

Sentenza

This is probably true unfortunately. Someone may have suggested that the company didn't have a PC port, and was just using Greenlight to see if there were enough votes to even pay for the porting cost. There may well have not been enough to justify it compared to iOS or whatnot.
As morningbus (indirectly?) pointed, you can't expect to promote a game to a PC-centered community just slapping a trailer from the iPhone version, without any relevant detail or feature about how you are going to handle the port, and then expect to see people lining to sign just because they love you so much.

That, without even promoting the game anywhere else outside of Greenlight (not even a mail to RPS?).
In their last update from November they announced the game was in the top 100 and then not a single update, reminder or marketing push. Nothing.

If you are not even willing to invest shit in your own project, why should others do it, realistically?

Blizzard

Banned
As morningbus (indirectly?) pointed, you can't expect to promote a game to a PC-centered community just slapping a trailer from the iPhone version, without any relevant detail or feature about how you are going to handle the port, and then expect to see people lining to sign just because they love you so much.

That, without even promoting the game anywhere else outside of Greenlight (not even a mail to RPS?).
In their last update from November they announced the game was in the top 100 and then not a single update, reminder or marketing push. Nothing.

If you are not even willing to invest shit in your own project, why should others do it, realistically?
I'm not disagreeing. I think they could have done more on this. It makes me sad since I'd like to play Shantae, but I suspect the motivation was "let's put some minimal effort in and see if there's a ton of interest that would justify the expense".

Raven77

You can try TotalBiscuit on youtube.. other than that most sites focus on bigger games cause thats where the moneys at. :/

Man that really sucks. I really want to try some of these out but don't want to drop 10-15 bucks on something that isn't any good.

Atomski

Man that really sucks. I really want to try some of these out but don't want to drop 10-15 bucks on something that isn't any good.

Well thats what these boards are for, everyone one of these indie games gets discussed here just search and see what people are saying about it.

I dont trust review sites are far as I can spit these days anyways.

Raven77

Well thats what these boards are for, everyone one of these indie games gets discussed here just search and see what people are saying about it.

I dont trust review sites are far as I can spit these days anyways.

It seems hard to find those discussions though and I don't really want to start a new thread for every indie I'm interested in.

Is there a general thread to discuss indies? Is this the thread? Maybe I just need to search harder.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
What? Compile Heart is considered relatively big now?

And there's no way they'll ever be thankfully, the last thing anyone needs is for Idea Factory to become a big company through any subsidiary. Speaking of Idea Factory, that's the one thing I said I wouldn't support when Ghostlight asked about PC ports:

Sure, if they're not talking about Idea Factory games I'd be interested.

Shame.

zkylon

zkylewd
that garbage looks like the kind of thing I really dont want on Steam

it's a shame if the game underneath it is good or whatever but how could you even possibly ignore that aspect of it

ridiculous
I voted yes in case it somehow ends up bringing disgaea to PC.

batteryLeakage

Neo Member
You know, one of the things that bugs me about Greenlight is that it puts every game in constant competition due to the few slots available. Every time I see a game that looks intriguing/promising I have to think twice about saying yes as it could take a slot from something that I really want.

I think that it is kind of shitty of the Frozen Endzone devs to put their game on Greenlight if Valve would have accepted it outright. What do they really gain besides stroking their egos? When they are greenlit, they'll take a spot away from someone that really could use it. For the small developer, having your game on Steam could mean the difference between a successful career making games or having to give it up.

The developer of Incredipede, for instance, is a class act. When Valve accepted him because of his IGF nomination he was already within the top ten. He made sure that they removed him from the running so that he didn't take a slot that someone else could have used during the next round of approvals.

ArjanN

You know, one of the things that bugs me about Greenlight is that it puts every game in constant competition due to the few slots available. Every time I see a game that looks intriguing/promising I have to think twice about saying yes as it could take a slot from something that I really want.

I think that it is kind of shitty of the Frozen Endzone devs to put their game on Greenlight if Valve would have accepted it outright. What do they really gain besides stroking their egos? When they are greenlit, they'll take a spot away from someone that really could use it. For the small developer, having your game on Steam could mean the difference between a successful career making games or having to give it up.

The developer of Incredipede, for instance, is a class act. When Valve accepted him because of his IGF nomination he was already within the top ten. He made sure that they removed him from the running so that he didn't take a slot that someone else could have used during the next round of approvals.

Even though I agree with this, I think some people don't realize that even without greenlight, the number of 'slots' on Steam would still be limited. Greenlight mostly just shines a light on what was already happening in the background.

Nabs

If you want to talk about wasted slots, lets look at the games that get through that aren't close to finished. If they made completed games a priority, Greenlight would probably be in a better place.

"What do they really gain besides stroking their egos?" Well, they're able to deliver project updates to all their followers. When they send out an update, I'll see it in my community blotter. I hope Valve does more with this.

It is kinda sad to see, that Games like Unepic and Escape Goat still arent greenlit, while some shitty 5-minute funny Surgeon Simulator got greenlit so fast, some generic F2P-Games or some F2P-MMo, the 1000th port of Dragons Lair...

Sometimes when I see what has been greenlight, it seems that about 20-30% of these Games have been greenlit, just because they are free. Another 20-30% because they already had a big fanbase.
And the other 40-50% because they are genuinely promising.

I hope e.g. that Agarest can finally get on Steam or even Higurashi. While there are some hidden-objective Games on Steam, iPhone-Apps like Cut the Rope and Angry Birds or even Revelations 2012 it really seems that some good Games are being forgotten.
Didnt Gabe said they wouldnt want the same situation like the Appstore? But right now it seems even more and more casual-Games and 08/15 F2P-Games/MMOs are being released on Steam while great Games need to go through Greenlight and in a lot of cases good Games do not even have the chance to see the light of the "Steam"day..

deejay

It is kinda sad to see, that Games like Unepic and Escape Goat still arent greenlit, while some shitty 5-minute funny Surgeon Simulator got greenlit so fast, some generic F2P-Games or some F2P-MMo, the 1000th port of Dragons Lair...

Sometimes when I see what has been greenlight, it seems that about 20-30% of these Games have been greenlit, just because they are free. Another 20-30% because they already had a big fanbase.

I hope e.g. that Agarest can finally get on Steam or even Higurashi. While there are some hidden-objective Games on Steam, iPhone-Apps like Cut the Rope and Angry Birds or even Revelations 2012 it really seems that some good Games are being forgotten.
Didnt Gabe said they wouldnt want the same situation like the Appstore? But right now it seems even more and more casual-Games and 08/15 F2P-Games/MMOs are being released on Steam while great Games need to go through Greenlight and in a lot of cases good Games do not even have the chance to see the light of the "Steam"day..

Actually, Unepic has been greenlit. The developer is just adding multiplayer before releasing it :)

Techies

Rooks Keep
Check out that new combat vid on the site, that wizard class reminds me of Magicka. Game itself remind me of Rune, just bloodier.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/updates/101812044/1365104891

Game not getting much attention though. People still think it's a chess game when in fact chess is only a small part of it. Full fledged Arena Deatmatch with multiple classes are also a part of it.
CDDC58C37E26D4A982E8970BA02652B6F4E1F8FC

97ADF5ED062819BAC22475F4E7F274C83437B708

7C5FE661920123F8902308AC3B6D07F4A9831C2A

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Rooks Keep
Check out that new combat vid on the site, that wizard class reminds me of Magicka. Game itself remind me of Rune, just bloodier.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/updates/101812044/1365104891

Game not getting much attention though. People still think it's a chess game when in fact chess is only a small part of it. Full fledged Arena Deatmatch with multiple classes are also a part of it.

Yes or no, are you a member of the team working on the game or affiliated with them?

Gaspode_T

Cross your fingers for Escape Goat, he did networking at GDC and got to do a private demo of Escape Goat 2 to a Valve employee directly...which is basically the "traditional" non-Greenlight way of getting on Steam :p

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I've been following Rook's Keep for a long, long time because I'm a big UT2k4 ballistic mod fan. But they've been really quiet so I haven't posted much about it here. It's interesting that they're releasing at the end of the month without any public pre-release playable builds, kind of out of nowhere.

Feep

Banned
Cross your fingers for Escape Goat, he did networking at GDC and got to do a private demo of Escape Goat 2 to a Valve employee directly...which is basically the "traditional" non-Greenlight way of getting on Steam :p
I met up with Ian at GDC as well. He managed to get his way into the Valve party at the club on Thursday night.

Escape Goat is awesome, and Escape Goat 2 looked even more awesome, and I wish him the best. I wish I could influence people, but apparently it's all GL these days. = (

Also, Gaspode, were you there? We totally should have met up! = (

Damn! Feep, were you at the Steam party as well?

Seems like there were a ton of people there who I completely missed. I blame Dan Da Rocha from the QUBE team as he kept kept pouring shots down my throat and wouldn't let me go!

p.s. let me localize your game this time pleeeeeeeaaasssee.

Gaspode_T

Unfortunately I didn't go to GDC I was just stalking updates on Twitter like usual, I wish I could attend GDC...easier for me to attend TGS but even last year that fell through :)

In general I am still kind of more of a fan of Greenlight than a hater of it, I just wish they would insert a LITTLE more human into the process and make it speed up...what are they so busy with??? (I still expect them to troll the gaming community and stubbornly call it Half Life 2 Episode 3 LOL)

I still have a bunch of indie games being developed in my head, getting them finished in the plane of the reality is the tricky part...

There was a cool idea some dev had to put 6 second gaming pitches up on Vine. Those are easier to share with upper level managers, it was kind of just a joke?? but see https://twitter.com/search?q=#6secondgamepitch&src=hash On one hand I think it is crazy that managers of portfolio/curated platforms do not have more than 6 seconds to spare, but then I remember what clicking through 1000 games on Greenlight felt like. It is not a bad idea to try to think of elevator pitch when evaluating whether you can sell a game to a publisher or not (if that is a goal for someone)

Techies

Disclosure is the thing I'm concerned about at this juncture.

Same as Sapient, was a big follower of Ballistics, that's what gotten me into modding in the first place. The great days of UT2004 and UT3 modding scene, these guys were basically on top of their game back then.

The problem though is Epic killed the unreal series, so even the ones great MSUC didn't garner much attention at all and the likes of Runestorm were basically forgotten. Also I like to keep taps on what's going on in the South African scene. Although Desktop Dungeons and now rooks keep is the only games I've seen here so far that's had potential.

Techies

Apparently not.

It's not all about game quality on GL. Some devs are just better than others at gathering and mobilizing a large group of voters. And good on them, because it's apparently a difficult thing to do. Community building is going to be a critical skill for PC indies going forward.

Yup, just a shame Desura didn't take off, would of been perfect for those developers who did not have mass vote support. But Desura's playerbase is way too small.

Desura is basically a steam like platform without the drm, and somewhat better GUI design in some areas.

The reality is, Steam has the traffic, and even if something gets on Steam it's most likely to barely survive even with all that traffic. So without mass public support most games aren't going anywhere. So it essentially turns into a youtube type popularity contest, either do something magnificent or something extremely stupid.

Nabs

Desura is one of the most confusing clients I've ever used. I'm surprised they haven't bothered to update it.

Deques

No, it's not. And I really tried to like it, believe me.
But I realize that it's more easy to sympathize for the underdog.

sympathize? What's better than steam is that it is much faster client than steam, and redeeming keys doesn't take 20 seconds and doesn't lock the client during the activation

Sentenza

sympathize? What's better than steam is that it is much faster client than steam, and redeeming keys doesn't take 20 seconds and doesn't lock the client during the activation
It has a bigger memory footprint, it is slower, it crashes far more often, it's very common that things just don't work.
Last but not least, the interface can be incredibly confusing, at times.

What makes it "better" exactly? Apart for your cheap attempt to throw a jab at Steam, I mean.

Top Bottom