• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Greenlight: 1000 games and counting, more Greenlit every few weeks

Uiki

One of my buddies, who worked on Guacamelee at Drinkbox, is in the process of releasing his first Steam game. It's called Rogue Legacy and is a super wicked awesome rogue-like-like with action RPG and platforming/metroidvania elements. The hook is a neat heredity system wherein traits are passed to future generations when you die.

637x358.resizedimage

Do check it out!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=136969358&insideModal=0&requirelogin=1

I need this now.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
You're setting yourself up for disappointment if you think a PC port of Shantae is actually a possibility being held back by the tyranny of Steam Greenlight.

Blizzard

Banned
You're setting yourself up for disappointment if you think a PC port of Shantae is actually a possibility being held back by the tyranny of Steam Greenlight.
I'm guessing you are mocking because Shantae has not been updated or promoted heavily on Greenlight and you feel it could have made it through had it been promoted more heavily?

I think promotion could have been better, but I don't know if even then it would have gotten a continuous stream of votes high enough to exceed other new or rising Greenlight games.

morningbus

I'm mainly attempting to spread my narrative that little to no work on a PC port of Shantae was actually completed, evidenced mainly by the fact they went silent after releasing iphone trailers.

I wouldn't characterize it as "mocking," though. I don't care for how the Greenlight system works, but I don't pretend to not understand how it works (in a general sense). There was simply not enough demand for Shantae, both by the people actually voting on Greenlight and by the people at Wayforward.

Whether or not a system that allows that should be in place is another, totally valid discussion, but it ultimately ignores the realities of the situation.

beril

I'm mainly attempting to spread my narrative that little to no work on a PC port of Shantae was actually completed, evidenced mainly by the fact they went silent after releasing iphone trailers.

I wouldn't characterize it as "mocking," though. I don't care for how the Greenlight system works, but I don't pretend to not understand how it works (in a general sense). There was simply not enough demand for Shantae, both by the people actually voting on Greenlight and by the people at Wayforward.

Whether or not a system that allows that should be in place is another, totally valid discussion, but it ultimately ignores the realities of the situation.

Honestly the smartest approach to cross platform PC development right now is probably to just put it up on Greenlight before you start porting the game to PC, and then do it if/when it get's approved. Cause if you don't get into steam it's unlikely you'll make back even a modest cost of porting the game. Forgot that Shantae was on greenlight actually. I met a Wayforward guy this weekend and would have loved to hear his thoughts on greenlight.

morningbus

Honestly the smartest approach to cross platform PC development right now is probably to just put it up on Greenlight before you start porting the game to PC, and then do it if/when it get's approved. Cause if you don't get into steam it's unlikely you'll make back even a modest cost of porting the game. Forgot that Shantae was on greenlight actually. I met a Wayforward guy this weekend and would have loved to hear his thoughts on greenlight.

Oh, definitely. I don't blame them for not going
way
forward with a PC port, but they do get blame for not drumming up support for the project. While Shantae isn't a well known game amongst PC gamers, WayForward does have a fairly strong and good reputation.

Hell, Shovel Knight got 3 times its funding off the fact they were ex-WayForward people making a retro game. WayForward could probably do pretty well if it tried.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
I haven't seen any PR yet, but if you go to the "Greenlit" section you can see Pinball Arcade, Frozen Endzone and Shovel Knight made it.

Edit: Here are some Greenlit games I haven't seen before. Feel free to correct me.

Agarest: Generations of War
Battle Worlds: Kronos
Angry Video Game Nerd Adventures
Shovel Knight
Frozen Endzone
Hammerwatch
Legend of Dungeon

Nabs

Sixth Set of Titles Greenlit Today
APRIL 17TH, 2013 - ALDEN
We're excited to announce the sixth set of games and software titles to advance through Steam Greenlight, and be offered worldwide distribution via Steam. With weeks of busy voters and exciting new games hitting Greenlight, this batch is comprised of 20 items in total--18 games and two software titles--bringing the total to over 90 titles Greenlit since Steam Greenlight launched in August.

The latest software titles (click here to see all Greenlit software):
PlayClaw
GamePlan

The latest games (click here to see all Greenlit games):
City of Steam
Cradle
Dead State
Dead Trigger
Death Inc.
Dreamfall Chapters: The Longest Journey
Elsword
Faceless
Frozen Endzone
Hammerwatch
Legend of Dungeon
Pinball Arcade
Planet Explorers
Rush Bros.
Shovel Knight

As with past batches, these titles will be released independently in the months ahead, as they complete development and integrate with any of the Steamworks features they are interested in utilizing. Some will undoubtedly launch with Steam Early Access, while others are ready to launch in full soon.

Keep up the voting and help your favorite games get the attention they deserve. Also, be sure to join the Steam Greenlight Official Group for the latest new and announcements.

Zomba13

One of my buddies, who worked on Guacamelee at Drinkbox, is in the process of releasing his first Steam game. It's called Rogue Legacy and is a super wicked awesome rogue-like-like with action RPG and platforming/metroidvania elements. The hook is a neat heredity system wherein traits are passed to future generations when you die.

637x358.resizedimage

Do check it out!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=136969358&insideModal=0&requirelogin=1

I want this right now. Looks so good.

Nabs

BTW, it looks like Valve will sometimes accept a game but wait months before announcing it. Rush Bros has been in the registry for a pretty long time, probably doing network related development on top of finishing the game.

Spookie

*Ctrl+F* "Assetto Corsa" ... 0 Results.

FUCKERS. At least Pinball Arcade is on there though.

Edit: Angry Video Game Nerd Adventures? Really? Fuck sake.

Frankly it seems kind of selfish that a developer like Mode7 takes up a coveted slot on Greenlight when they could have already got on Steam through other methods.

Nabs

All I want is Divekick.

Iron Galaxy is currently working on another Steam game with GGPO (D&D for Capcom), so I hope they have a headstart with the Steam API.

Frankly it seems kind of selfish that a developer like Mode7 takes up a coveted slot on Greenlight when they could have already got on Steam through other methods.

It's not like there's a set number every month. Valve probably likes that a developer is using GL for this process.

Shovel Knight getting Greenlit is great news; really happy for those guys. Though at the rate they're going, I wonder how long before WayForward becomes "those Shovel Knight guy's old studio".

R1CHO

In my opinion:

Interesting:

Death Inc.
Dead State
Pinball Arcade
Frozen Endzone
Cradle

Not bad, not great

Shovel Knight (i don't really get the hyperbole about this game, looks average to me)
Hammerwatch
Legend of Dungeon
City of Steam
Rush Bros

I don't know what to think

High Shovelware Potential

Dead Trigger
Faceless
Planet Explorers
Elsword

Not a bad selection all things considered, great to see Pinball Arcade finally coming to the steam.

In my opinion:

Dead Trigger

One of this got voted because of the name.

The other one. I dont even know. I played Dead Trigger on my iPad for quite a while on the train almost daily, but I dont think it is a good Game for a PC. At least in the iOS-Version you need to play each mission a couple of times, because it is a total grindfest to get better weapons. It is clearly made for a mobile-device and not for an actual PC. The missions are often just 1-2 minutes long.

I really wonder why anyone would vote for this.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I played Dead Trigger on my phone, and it was bad. And not because it was on my phone, but because it's extremely barebones and uninspired. It's a freemium zombie-filled-corridors arena shooter. What else needs to be said?

It was only worth trying because it was free and visually impressive for a phone or tablet game.

beril

It seems like Might & Delight are doing the same thing with Shelter. They have already released Pid on Steam.

I doubt that's the case. Haven't talked to the M&D guys in a while, but voluntarily passing up the chance to release it and going through greenlight with a super niche artsy game just seems really really stupid. Pid didn't do particularly well to begin with, so it seems a lot more likely that it's Valve being evil.

I doubt that's the case. Haven't talked to the M&D guys in a while, but voluntarily passing up the chance to release it and going through greenlight with a super niche artsy game just seems really really stupid. Pid didn't do particularly well to begin with, so it seems a lot more likely that it's Valve being evil.

Well, the Frozen Synapse guys voluntarily put Frozen Endzone into GL, which should've been put at least into the Early Access section from the go...

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
In my opinion:

Interesting:

Death Inc.
Dead State
Pinball Arcade
Frozen Endzone
Cradle

Not bad, not great

Shovel Knight (i don't really get the hyperbole about this game, looks average to me)
Hammerwatch
Legend of Dungeon
City of Steam
Rush Bros

I don't know what to think

Dead Trigger
Faceless
Planet Explorers
Elsword

Not a bad selection all things considered, great to see Pinball Arcade finally coming to the steam.
Hammerwatch has a lot of potential. I think people made a good choice there.

Nillansan

I am not familiar with the submission process, but I just assumed that Greenlight was a one off and that Might & Delight deliberately chose to go through Greenlight and use the platform as a means to create a community.

I am sorry to hear that Pid did poorly.

graywolf323

happy to see Agarest and Dreamfall make it but wtf Steam? still no Gray Matter or Cognition?

I'd much rather games that are ready get Greenlit right now than games that are months away at best

Pinball Arcade and Shovel Knight are big personal wins for me! Those were my two absolute top choices!
(I was waiting for a PC release of Pinball Arcade forever!)

Top Bottom