• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Greenlight: 1000 games and counting, more Greenlit every few weeks

The thing I love about Desura's client is when it randomly decides to stop recognizing I am clicking links until I close and re-open it.

Or when redeeming keys outside the client (like if you have an IndieRoyale account linked) leads to the client having to be restarted to get those games to show up most of the time.

It's decent but it's full of weird little annoyances just like Steam.

1-D_FTW

It has a bigger memory footprint, it is slower, it crashes far more often, it's very common that things just don't work.
Last but not least, the interface can be incredibly confusing, at times.

What makes it "better" exactly? Apart for your cheap attempt to throw a jab at Steam, I mean.

I think he already outlined it;) It doesn't lock and take 20 seconds to activate a new key. That's a serious inconvenience that absolutely destroys the service.

Deques

It has a bigger memory footprint, it is slower, it crashes far more often, it's very common that things just don't work.
Last but not least, the interface can be incredibly confusing, at times.

What makes it "better" exactly? Apart for your cheap attempt to throw a jab at Steam, I mean.

I maybe haven't used Desura as much as you do as I only have it installed and never played any games I have in steam. But I still stand for what I said. The times I used Desura I have always felt that it is much faster to navigate than Steam and redeeming games is not locking the client. I don't know how you can't see that problem in Steam, have you never redeemed a game in Steam before?

Doesnt it have to do with the size of the Game in Steam though?

At least I notice that the bigger the Game is, the longer it takes for it to redeem.

Sentenza

I think he already outlined it;) It doesn't lock and take 20 seconds to activate a new key. That's a serious inconvenience that absolutely destroys the service.
But that's the problem, it does. Which is not even its unique issue.

You also have stuff like installations that just don't work, for instance. I can't even rememeber how many times I had to go and fix by hand something that wasn't working while installing/uninstalling a mod with their automated process.
And I should probably point that I used to write about mods etc for an Italian magazine [which consequentially means I tried a lot of them] so, as I said, I really made more than an attempt to make good use of Desura.

Hell, as a long time ModDB addicted I still have it there and i still wish them good luck. I just try to avoid using it as much as possible, now.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
QCsFnhI.png

Greenlight above 1250 titles.

Same as Sapient, was a big follower of Ballistics, that's what gotten me into modding in the first place. The great days of UT2004 and UT3 modding scene, these guys were basically on top of their game back then.

The problem though is Epic killed the unreal series, so even the ones great MSUC didn't garner much attention at all and the likes of Runestorm were basically forgotten. Also I like to keep taps on what's going on in the South African scene. Although Desktop Dungeons and now rooks keep is the only games I've seen here so far that's had potential.

OK cool no problem, just wanted to make sure--I don't have a problem with a dev mentioning their own game in here, but obviously someone pretending to be a fan if they're a dev is pretty sketchy. :p

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I maybe haven't used Desura as much as you do as I only have it installed and never played any games I have in steam. But I still stand for what I said. The times I used Desura I have always felt that it is much faster to navigate than Steam and redeeming games is not locking the client. I don't know how you can't see that problem in Steam, have you never redeemed a game in Steam before?
I really don't like that the Desura client has the redeem key feature in the settings menu. It's not even listed on the client itself. It's just an item on the settings page. There is also some weirdness about how it updates games and handles demos. Making back-ups isn't as straightforward and the feature list is thinner. It's not an unusable client, but it's not up to Steam's quality yet.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
No, and last I checked I think the Greenlight entry hadn't even been updated in months, so maybe the company gave up on getting enough votes in a short enough time period to get it through.

Like I said in another thread, WayFoward should drop this Greenlight shit and get Shantae on GOG already.

Wok

Surgeon Simulator 2013 will be released next Friday and it will cost:
  • £6.99 GBP
  • $9.99 USD
  • €9.99 EURO
It is a bit expensive in my opinion.

I feel it's unfair if I vote no, simply because of my taste, yet the game looks good enough for others to enjoy.
Do people vote yes in such cases?

Nabs

I haven't played it yet, but Door Kickers looks good. I hope they consider a name change once the game is done.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=133208652

I guess it's like Swat + a real time Frozen Synapse-ish game. It's currently in alpha, so it's still has a long way to go.

I feel it's unfair if I vote no, simply because of my taste, yet the game looks good enough for others to enjoy.

I don't vote no unless I really hate the game or developer. It's rare. I also don't vote yes unless I think it's a good game or good fit on Steam. I only have 78 total votes.

batteryLeakage

Neo Member

From what I've heard 'no' votes don't negate the 'yes' votes. As long as enough people vote 'yes' the game will be greenlit, even with a million no's. So I have no qualms with it. I'll vote no just so that a game will stop showing in my queue.

Edit: Renegade Kid explains. BTW Vote yes for Mutant Mudds. http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/updates/91565027

Wok

I haven't played it yet, but Door Kickers looks good. I hope they consider a name change once the game is done.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=133208652

I guess it's like Swat + a real time Frozen Synapse-ish game. It's currently in alpha, so it's still has a long way to go.

Toma has posted his impressions [/URL]about this game.

Door Kickers is not terribly deep, but fun. I still prefer Frozen Synapse vastly though, because it offers way more depth and preciseness to anything you do. I'll include Door Kickers in next months thread.

It's practically impossible to navigate Desura's store.

Card Boy

Banned
I have only approved 66 games out of 1250+. Some of the garbage that gets on there amazes me. With the exception of Gunz 2 i automatically downvote F2P games, especially if they are iOS stuff. Anything made in MS Paint or Photoshop paint gets an automatic downvote. All Laynet Simulator games get a downvote, most RPG Maker games get a downvote, endless runners downvoted, flash games downvoted.

Nillansan

One of my buddies, who worked on Guacamelee at Drinkbox, is in the process of releasing his first Steam game. It's called Rogue Legacy and is a super wicked awesome rogue-like-like with action RPG and platforming/metroidvania elements. The hook is a neat heredity system wherein traits are passed to future generations when you die.

Do check it out!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=136969358&insideModal=0&requirelogin=1

I just watched the trailer. Thumbs up. It looks awesome.

QCsFnhI.png

Greenlight above 1250 titles.

OK cool no problem, just wanted to make sure--I don't have a problem with a dev mentioning their own game in here, but obviously someone pretending to be a fan if they're a dev is pretty sketchy. :p

How many have you voted for and given the thumbs up?

Mines today.
VsGnlFu.png

So far 406+ and 870- from me.

Platy

One of my buddies, who worked on Guacamelee at Drinkbox, is in the process of releasing his first Steam game. It's called Rogue Legacy and is a super wicked awesome rogue-like-like with action RPG and platforming/metroidvania elements. The hook is a neat heredity system wherein traits are passed to future generations when you die.

637x358.resizedimage

Do check it out!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=136969358&insideModal=0&requirelogin=1

Hey !
I know the dude who made the art =D

wE7mCuw.png

In my case, 24+, the latest three being Shelter, Papers Please, Rollers of the Realm.
I might give more upvotes if some of my upvoted games get greenlit tomorrow.

Nice work on the votes.

My last few were.

Rogue Legacy
Ecotone
Shelter
Epic Metal Knights: Love, War and Other Nonsense
Papers Please

Anyone got any predictions on what is going to be greenlit tomorrow then?

Noogy

637x358.resizedimage

Do check it out!

This looks sort of incredible, easy upvote. Any way to get a hold of him?

Nymerio

637x358.resizedimage

Do check it out!

Holy shit, this looks amazing. Upvoted and started throwing money at the screen. Nothing happening so far :/

Nabs

I upvoted that as soon as I saw the trailer. I don't know if it'll play good, but I like the concept.

Tomorrow is the big day. I hope Valve does the right thing and picks Divekick.

FYC

Banned
I need to make use of this service more, but I'd love to see Bloody Trapland make it, along with Bleed.

Bloody Trapland: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=92917767\

Bleed: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=92919970

637x358.resizedimage

Do check it out!

AWESOME. Gonna vote right now.

Nillansan

Anyone got any predictions on what is going to be greenlit tomorrow then?

I am personally hoping that these games get greenlit:

Signal Ops
The game is ready to be released on Steam, it is already out on GOG.com.

Out There Somewhere
The game is ready to released on Steam.

Castle In The Darkness
The game is near completion, there is a demo out in the form of a prequel.

Agarest: Generations of War
While I would buy this game, I am honestly more interested in seeing what other games Ghostlight have up their sleeves.

Mutant Mudds
The game is ready to be released on Steam, it is already out on GOG.com.

TowerClimb
After completing Super House of Dead Ninjas, I am hungry for more tough platforming rogue-likes.

Top Bottom