• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Greenlight: 1000 games and counting, more Greenlit every few weeks

ArjanN

Well, the games they picked this month are neither 10 nor the top N by votes, so there has to be more to it.

From what I understand Agarest had only just made it into the top 50.

Seems like they handpicked what they think was interesting stuff from the top 50 or so, which seems pretty smart to me. They probably considered Agarest and Pinball Arcade interesting from a variety point of view even they weren't in the top 10.

Card Boy

Banned
Add the Glitch Gremlin, Super Mecha Death Christ, Shit Pickle, Fred Fuchs and Mr. Bucket to the AVGN game and I will be a happy man.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I wonder if Agarest actually needed to go though Greenlight. It didn't sound like anyone at Ghostlight tried to contacted Valve.

Platy

This one is for sure.

Sorry.

Really? That's awesome!

EDIT: I didn't refresh the page before posting.

It IS for sure, just not at greenlight
It was picked by a distributor.... they are kinda remaking it in a better engine for Mac suport before trully anouncing. It will also come with a free "expansion pack" ... but probably not at launch
The developers said to me on gtlak anounced in an interview at the brazilian Kotaku podcast (portuguese language, obviously) a few days ago

Does this mean they're moving the number of titles getting greenlit per month upwards? Honestly, I wouldn't have nearly as much of a problem with this system if they were averaging 25-30 titles a month and selecting interesting and close-to-ready titles from the top 100 every time to do it.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Does this mean they're moving the number of titles getting greenlit per month upwards? Honestly, I wouldn't have nearly as much of a problem with this system if they were averaging 25-30 titles a month and selecting interesting and close-to-ready titles from the top 100 every time to do it.

Jeff, from Giant Bomb, said that the ideal scenario in his opinion would be that everything that's on GreenLight (that's not a blatant copy or straight up broken) gets allowed to be on sale on Steam at any given time, as there's no bad side on that scenario.

Greenlight would then become a list of games that get some kind of front-page recognition on the system.

Blizzard

Banned
Jeff, from Giant Bomb, said that the ideal scenario in his opinion would be that everything that's on GreenLight (that's not a blatant copy or straight up broken) gets allowed to be on sale on Steam at any given time, as there's no bad side on that scenario.

Greenlight would then become a list of games that get some kind of front-page recognition on the system.
I would prefer some intermediate situation.

Problems of being more easy to get on the store include say, viruses/malware (I have no idea if Valve attempts some sort of check for this currently), and an iOS store situation where maybe the standard price goes to free/$1/$2. I feel like the more games make it through Greenlight, the harder it will become to sell a new game for $5-10, but I could be totally wrong.

Platy

This would only work if they made like Nintendo's Wiiware and you only receive money if you sell more than X ......and nobody wants that

ArjanN

Problems of being more easy to get on the store include say, viruses/malware (I have no idea if Valve attempts some sort of check for this currently), and an iOS store situation where maybe the standard price goes to free/$1/$2. I feel like the more games make it through Greenlight, the harder it will become to sell a new game for $5-10, but I could be totally wrong.

Another problem is the more titles you let through, the less attention each one will get, you can see this with games on phones where it becomes really hard to get noticed.

Nillansan

From what I understand Agarest had only just made it into the top 50.

Seems like they handpicked what they think was interesting stuff from the top 50 or so, which seems pretty smart to me. They probably considered Agarest and Pinball Arcade interesting from a variety point of view even they weren't in the top 10.

That certainly seems to be the case, they were just about to break into the top 50 on the 16th.

Durante

I agree with this.

This would only work if they made like Nintendo's Wiiware and you only receive money if you sell more than X ......and nobody wants that
Why?

The prices of most greenlit games have been ranging from $5 to $25+ so, yep, I don't think that's the case. I doubt Dreamfall is going to cost $5. And people are still paying full price for full-fledged digital releases. Just picture GL is essentially the old, obscure submission queue they used to have, only visible. I mean, a lot of the games we still see popping are from that old and absolutely delayed queue. Look at Dyad. That should've been apparently for sale last month but it got pushed. Along many others. Of course they also keep picking stuff outside GL.

I think someone nailed it before when he said it was a matter of lack of people doing this task. More people could and should be handling this. Especially to make sure no viruses and other dodgy stuff gets in. (I know, I know, yet we had The War Z incident and that recent Dino scandal.)

Blizzard

Banned
The prices of most greenlit games have been ranging from $5 to $25+ so, yep, I don't think that's the case. I doubt Dreamfall is going to cost $5. And people are still paying full price for full-fledged digital releases. Just picture GL is essentially the old, obscure submission queue they used to have, only visible. I mean, a lot of the games we still see popping are from that old and absolutely delayed queue. Look at Dyad. That should've been apparently for sale last month but it got pushed. Along many others. Of course they also keep picking stuff outside GL.

I think someone nailed it before when he said it was a matter of lack of people doing this task. More people could and should be handling this. Especially to make sure no viruses and other dodgy stuff gets in. (I know, I know, yet we had The War Z incident and that recent Dino scandal.)
This is fair enough, in terms of it being like the old submission queue. I would suggest that if you had literally hundreds of "games" getting through every month, you would end up with a quality and price situation more like other open storefronts, and I prefer the way Steam is now.

Valve might implement some sort of separate stores or concept shops or something down the road I guess?

We deleted Orbitron:Revolution from Greenlight.

We will delete Arcadecraft from Greenlight in a month if it can't break into the top 100.

It sucks but we are only two people and we need to business plan for the future. It also isn't fair to other developers to have our games languishing on the service taking up space, visibility and votes.

Soule

Been poking around Greenlight for the first time since it came out really after seeing a thread about Agarest getting approved, had a peek and I thought that looked interesting so maybe it was time to have another look. So I really like how it generates a list of 12 games at a time as opposed to just the one massive list of all the games which is what I encountered last time, in the second list it generated I stumbled across a little game called Stardew Valley

Getting some serious Harvest Moon vibes from this, although there's something about the artstyle that I find a little off I'm really interested in seeing how this turns out.

So I have like.....9-10 Japanese indie games I want on Steam. I will try to submit normally but some obviously have no chance like Neo Aquarium. I want to believe but my brain knows better.

What in the hell am I gonna do.

Should I make some kind of pre-greenlight to judge reactions from fans first? Or submit them all and just take down the ones that aren't getting traffic? Or just decide on my own which are priority and submit in that order?

R1CHO

Muddy Steam - Before and After Greenlight

http://gamasutra.com/blogs/JoolsWatsham/20130417/190704/Muddy_Steam__Before_and_After_Greenlight

Mutant Mudds.

1) Got rejected by Valve.

2) Now it's not getting enough support to be approved on greenlight.

Here is the game page on greenlight:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=91565027

Thoughts?

My opinion is that, it may be a well reviewed game on 3ds, but looking at the screens and watching the video is just hard to sell that to the steam audience.

Does that mean that the system is broken and is unfair? Or just that not every game is a good product on every platform? Or something in the middle :p

So I have like.....9-10 Japanese indie games I want on Steam. I will try to submit normally but some obviously have no chance like Neo Aquarium. I want to believe but my brain knows better.

What in the hell am I gonna do.

Should I make some kind of pre-greenlight to judge reactions from fans first? Or submit them all and just take down the ones that aren't getting traffic? Or just decide on my own which are priority and submit in that order?

Watch out with taking down, make sure the dev knows about it beforehand just in case. You know the deal, politeness and such. :p There are already a bunch of japanese indie games, we had BitSummit to increase awareness (you would think they would've picked at least a couple of japanese indie games at a later date*) and all but even if you explained them how to submit, it's very complicated.

I actually love Neo Aquarium and it's far more interesting than a lot of things that have been coming out recently, hell, I was talking to the dev about it. Called it a "delicious STG" (c), heh. It's a crime something like Neo Aquarium will be left to die in there, ARGH!

Perhaps you should put a poll at the Playism site and see which ones get more picked up?

*speaking of this, I would love themed pick ups from more niché genres periodically...

Deques

http://gamasutra.com/blogs/JoolsWatsham/20130417/190704/Muddy_Steam__Before_and_After_Greenlight

Mutant Mudds.

Thoughts?

My opinion is that, it may be a well reviewed game on 3ds, but looking at the screens and watching the video is just hard to sell that to the steam audience.

Does that mean that the system is broken and is unfair? Or just that not every game is a good product on every platform? Or something in the middle :p

I agree that Greenlight is a popularity contest, look at the AVGN game. It was announced last week, now it's greenlit. If it weren't for AVGN in the name and James Rolfe in the game it would never be greenlit. The game is not even interesting at all

Card Boy

Banned
I agree that Greenlight is a popularity contest, look at the AVGN game. It was announced last week, now it's greenlit. If it weren't for AVGN in the name and James Rolfe in the game it would never be greenlit. The game is not even interesting at all
The game is in pre-alpha the game will undergo a lot of change, not sure what your expecting.

Watch out with taking down, make sure the dev knows about it beforehand just in case. You know the deal, politeness and such. :p There are already a bunch of japanese indie games, we had BitSummit to increase awareness (you would think they would've picked at least a couple of japanese indie games at a later date*) and all but even if you explained them how to submit, it's very complicated.

I actually love Neo Aquarium and it's far more interesting than a lot of things that have been coming out recently, hell, I was talking to the dev about it. Called it a "delicious STG" (c), heh. It's a crime something like Neo Aquarium will be left to die in there, ARGH!

Perhaps you should put a poll at the Playism site and see which ones get more picked up?

*speaking of this, I would love themed pick ups from more niché genres periodically...

Don't worry. I know better than that! ;)

Yeah, my least favorite part of BitSummit was that I was so busy I couldn't really speak with a lot of the devs such as Nussoft. I need to see how far along the sequel Ace of Seafood is!

We have been talking about doing a poll through the site. It's the most logical choice. Especially compared to me going on a one man crusade for laser beam crustaceans!

ArjanN

The game is in pre-alpha the game will undergo a lot of change, not sure what your expecting.

I think his point is that outside of the AVGN angle, it looks like another platformer with retro graphics, which does nothing to stand out from the tons of similar games on greenlight.

Maybe the game is potentially great, but it clearly only got greenlit so fast because of AVGN.

AlejandroDaJ

Neo Member
We deleted Orbitron:Revolution from Greenlight.

We will delete Arcadecraft from Greenlight in a month if it can't break into the top 100.

It sucks but we are only two people and we need to business plan for the future. It also isn't fair to other developers to have our games languishing on the service taking up space, visibility and votes.

I'm considering doing the same with Cute Things Dying Violently. 50k copies sold on XBLIG, but the Steam community just keeps snarling about "flash game" quality.

At this point, I'm going to start shopping around the CTDV series and a new game I'm working on to publishers rather than a popularity lottery. I prefer the idea of throwing my lot in with people who will either give me a straight Yes or a straight No Thanks.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Been poking around Greenlight for the first time since it came out really after seeing a thread about Agarest getting approved, had a peek and I thought that looked interesting so maybe it was time to have another look. So I really like how it generates a list of 12 games at a time as opposed to just the one massive list of all the games which is what I encountered last time, in the second list it generated I stumbled across a little game called Stardew Valley

Getting some serious Harvest Moon vibes from this, although there's something about the artstyle that I find a little off I'm really interested in seeing how this turns out.

I'm a bit surprised the game is on Greenlight, because Starbound is being published by the same company, any the makers said that their game was already notable enough to get on Steam without Greenlight.

Deques

I think his point is that outside of the AVGN angle, it looks like another platformer with retro graphics, which does nothing to stand out from the tons of similar games on greenlight.

Maybe the game is potentially great, but it clearly only got greenlit so fast because of AVGN.
You got it right! :)

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist

Mutant Mudds.

Thoughts?

My opinion is that few actually want the game and a small group of people can't accept it.

Blizzard

Banned
My opinion is that few actually want the game and a small group of people can't accept it.
Why is it a matter of not accepting it? It seems to be reviewed very well, and if it's a quality game with a niche audience (like pinball games) what does it hurt Steam to sell it?

It would be different if it were/is low-quality shovelware that would fill the Steam store shelf space to bursting, or if it wasn't already completed on PC. But neither of those appear to be true.

Sentenza

That's how I see it as well.
It's not even a matter of awareness, as far as I'm concerned.
I'm well aware the game is on GL and I'm not upvoting it because I don't like what I see.
But going back to more interesting stuff...

Battle Worlds: Kronos
HOLY CRAP, WHY NO ONE POINTED THIS GAME TO ME BEFORE?
It's essentially an unofficial remake of Battle Isle. Looks like great stuff:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBDL1j-01PQ

Yeah, well, popular brands gather more attention faster. News at 11.
If I have to guess I'm going to bet this will turn out pretty much shovelware, but I'm not surprised nor outraged it gathered votes fast.

Jawmuncher

Even for Early Concept The Black Tower looks like something right up my alley.
Being a RPG inspired by PS1 design has me stoked.

637x358.resizedimage

Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=nKd3UbRm1hY

Geenlight:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=138501185

FloatOn

Can we expect pinball arcade soon now that it's been green lit?

I mean it's already on every other platform ever. Doesn't seem like it would take too much work to get a steam version up and running.

Top Bottom