• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2011 | Valve Has Run Out Of 3rd Party Coupons/Games (Dec 19-Jan 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Monk

My GAFfers what's the best/similar game to Stronghold 3 or similar to Age of Empires 3 on Steam?

I got the Empire Earth, Gold Edition on gog.com and I was looking for something more recent but very similar to AOE.

Thanks in advance!

Anyone have trouble installing a game from a disk during the sale? I tried several times last night to install a game and I kept getting the error that Steam's servers were too busy and it started downloading the game rather then just installing it from the disk

I'll try again tonight, just curious if anyone else was having this problem

Anybody getting really slow download speeds, like sub 10Kb/s? I've changed servers several times over the last hour or so, and it hasn't improved (even with Ukraine). I've got nearly 3 gigs to go, so I doubt I'll be playing Bulletstorm before the new year.

I wonder if Feeps will ever share the sales data?

Let's all chip in a coal each as a bribe.

Des0lar

will learn eventually

He's not allowed.

Anybody getting really slow download speeds, like sub 10Kb/s? I've changed servers several times over the last hour or so, and it hasn't improved (even with Ukraine). I've got nearly 3 gigs to go, so I doubt I'll be playing Bulletstorm before the new year.

Let's all chip in a coal each as a bribe.

Impossible! :O

$5 Bulletstorm deal is still up for 1 hour. I can help any non-US gaf that needs someone to buy it for them. Sorry I can only do this through Pay Pal.

Feep

Banned
Steam doesn't usually allow for direct posting of sales data. I can make relative comparisons, but I have to be careful...

...I will say that the generosity of everyone here buying copies for their friends is awesome. Hey developers, you should just give entire forums your game for free. Shit totally works.

Steam doesn't usually allow for direct posting of sales data. I can make relative comparisons, but I have to be careful...

...I will say that the generosity of everyone here buying copies for their friends is awesome. Hey developers, you should just give entire forums your game for free. Shit totally works.

So on a scale of: Oh no to Fuck Yeah!

Would you say your closer to Fuck Yeah!?
Don't answer of it might break any Valve rules.

He's not allowed.

Damned evil Vavle!

bonesquad

Anomaly Warzone Earth... The demo and Quick Look were interesting enough. I'm thinking of grabbing this as a last minute Steam daily, but then I noticed it was on iPhone as well, also on sale.

Are there any thoughts on which is the version to get, PC or iOS? They look to be fairly different.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Sigh...Crafted and got an Activision 25% coupon... Now down to 1 single coal...

Anyone who wants the following coupons can PM me...

-33% Valve
-50% The Wonderful End of the World
-25% Konami
-50% Brink

And one crappy looking game

Vegas: Make It Big.

Askani

What's the consensus on coal nowadays? Craft into something or still more useful as trade fodder? I have 16 and need to decided what to do with it.

Shaneus

My own game and achievement gave me coal?

; ;
"I designed a game, published it on Steam and all I got was this lousy piece of coal (and squillions of dollars and this t-shirt)"

It's like a precursor to the Louis CK model of distribution. Make it cheap/accessible enough and not only will people buy it, but they'll recommend it to their friends.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
So, bought Alice the other day, installed, tried to play. A helpful screen pops up that tells me I have to create an EA account to play the game I fucking bought off of Steam.

Murderous. Rage.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
hey Feeps, just a question that's been bugging me. Do you get more money from people in Europe paying 1€ instead of 1$ or does these currency exchanges net you nothing in the end?

Des0lar

will learn eventually
It's With Fire & Sword tho. I heard it's not as good as M&B original?

Warband is the best because it has everything the original has + multiplayer.
Fire and Sword is for hardcore fans.

How hard are the Rise of the Immortals and Crimecraft acheevs?

Crimecraft is easy, just annoying.

Rise of Immortals -> Join a game against Ai controlled enemies (PvE) and choose the dwarven sharpshooter. Let your teammates attack the enemie heroes and just shoot from afar but don't kill em. That's how I got it in one single session.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Cross-post time:

As a result of completing both Christmas achievements in Rise of Immortals earlier, I now really want to play Dota 2.

Edit: Wait, this isn't the Steam thread. I need a map of the internet. :(

Good lord this AaaAAAaAaa achievement is making me rage to new levels.

What does it entail? The description is a whole lot of nothing.

1-D_FTW

So, bought Alice the other day, installed, tried to play. A helpful screen pops up that tells me I have to create an EA account to play the game I fucking bought off of Steam.

Murderous. Rage.

Yeah. I have an Origin account from the BF3/DS3 purchase, but this pretty much ensures I'll never buy another EA game on Steam (have everything I want, so any purchases will be future releases). Not a pleasant surprise and kind of defeated the whole purpose of me wanting to wait for it to go onsale at Steam.

Feep

Banned
hey Feeps, just a question that's been bugging me. Do you get more money from people in Europe paying 1€ instead of 1$ or does these currency exchanges net you nothing in the end?
The game is $1.24 US and 0.99€ at the moment. Exchange rates apply: 0.99€ converts to $1.29, so I technically get a nickel more for European purchases at the moment.

Sorry Europeans = (

Des0lar

will learn eventually
The game is $1.24 US and 0.99€ at the moment. Exchange rates apply: 0.99€ converts to $1.29, so I technically get a nickel more for European purchases at the moment.

Sorry Europeans = (

So you DO get more. Will buy on EU store then!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
How hard are the Rise of the Immortals and Crimecraft acheevs?

The Rise of Immortals achievements aren't all that difficult if you make use of the (in-game) item store. A couple of mates and I didn't initially realise you could buy items and the bots were crushing us, however we completed our second game inside an hour and came out of it with both achievements (10 assists and 20 assists). 3 human players against 3 AI opponents is what you want.

Edit: We all went with Ichorr, who is more of a support character.

Crimecraft isn't all that hard, either; though, the snowballs have no (or virtually no) splash damage, so you have to ensure each throw will result in a direct hit. I hit 200 points within two games and I played terribly. By the way, you'll want to rebind the grenade key, as by default it's something stupid.

You have to beat these 6 levels with 4 stars or better. Some I can't even complete let alone get 4 stars.

Oh, bugger.

Sorry Europeans = (

Sick of us Europeans being taken advantage of by uncaring mega-corps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom