• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2014 | OT | !

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm honestly saving my money for GTA 5, if it ever actually comes out for the PC and probably Telltale's Game of Thrones. After that, I have maybe $100 to send on Steam but I don't want to buy games just to put in my pile of shame Steam backlog.

Thinking about Beyond Earth... so many games to play already though haha

Don't pay more than 20$ for Beyond Earth. That game is a glorified expansion pack for Civ V with some serious flaws and a lack of content which need to be addressed by substantive patching and probably an expansion.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I'd buy Dark Souls 2 if it weren't for the remaster #youlied

I'd buy Ground Zeroes if it weren't a paid demo.

gabbo

I'm honestly saving my money for GTA 5, if it ever actually comes out for the PC and probably Telltale's Game of Thrones. After that, I have maybe $100 to send on Steam but I don't want to buy games just to put in my pile of shame Steam backlog.
$100? Man, I must be slumming it, since i dont want to spend more than $30 total, including gifts

Kinsei

Banned
For the first day I ended up getting Civ 5 complete, Rome 2, Dark Souls Prepare to Die, and Metal Gear Rising.

Not a bad haul if I do say so myself.

I added a load of games to my wishlist as a result of the exploration update and most of them have no discount at all. Puzzle Quest, Mutant Mudds, Spud's Quest, Out There Somewhere, etc: all 0% discount. Seems pretty silly to not capitalize on all the new attention.

Unkle

Violated the first rule of Steam sales

Dang, what are the chances? Heh. Should've waited for the daily deal? I really gotta read up on the sale process for Steam, I'm not versed in it whatsoever. TB's probably got a video on it somewhere. I'll look it up.

Don't pay more than 20$ for Beyond Earth. That game is a glorified expansion pack for Civ V with some serious flaws and a lack of content which need to be addressed by substantive patching and probably an expansion.

Thanks, I will probably wait for the next sale then on that. That is disappointing. I downloaded the demo but never got around to playing it.

Lomax

If the average person was getting holiday cards just once per day for voting 3 times in the community vote, it's not the same as that one person getting 3 cards - one for every vote - in a day. It's going to drive the card prices down because there is a larger supply of them, lessening demand.

There's only one vote per day now. So still one card per day. But there will be more supply, because it will be much easier to do that one vote each day than it was to consistently get all three votes each day.

Oh yeah, the community vote being 24 hrs rather than every 8 or even 12 sucks, less deals!

There's fewer deals every day for this sale than there were for the fall sale, and compared to the number of games on Steam now, fewer deals than there's ever been for any major sale ever. Which basically screws over all the smaller developers who could really use the boost of being a flash or a daily, as they will almost all go to the mainstream games this time.

mrks

Neo Member
Sweet about Tomb Raider. Well, it's that time again.

original_24086599.jpg

every sale haha

There's only one vote per day now. So still one card per day. But there will be more supply, because it will be much easier to do that one vote each day than it was to consistently get all three votes each day.

You're right about the one vote thing and i agree, it's easier to keep up with one vote than three so there will be more cards thanks to that.

Deitus

Dang, what are the chances? Heh. Should've waited for the daily deal? I really gotta read up on the sale process for Steam, I'm not versed in it whatsoever. TB's probably got a video on it somewhere. I'll look it up.

It's not super complicated. There are new daily deals every day, and there are also community votes and flash sales which change periodically. If a game is a daily, community, or flash sale, that is the cheapest it is going to get, so go ahead and buy it. If the game has a general sale discount, but is not a daily, community, or flash sale (you can tell by looking at the timer on the sale price at the store page), then it may or may not get a deeper discount later on in the sale.

The general policy is to wait for games you want to go on a daily (or community or flash) sale before you pick them up. If the game you want never ends up getting a deeper discount, just buy it on the last day of the sale. You lose out on nothing by waiting until the last day, but if you just buy games on day one that aren't a daily, you potentially miss out on significant discounts.

tl:dr Wait for the dailies. On the last day, pick up anything that didn't get a daily.

RS4-

There's fewer deals every day for this sale than there were for the fall sale, and compared to the number of games on Steam now, fewer deals than there's ever been for any major sale ever. Which basically screws over all the smaller developers who could really use the boost of being a flash or a daily, as they will almost all go to the mainstream games this time.

Indeed and very highly likely we'll get...surprise, skyrim or some other game that is has been on sale multiple times over the past few years to show up again.

Meanwhile, smaller devs don't even get a mention on the main splash page.

Nzyme32

The fact I can run MGSV:GZ well below the minimum specs at 1366x768, 30fps usually locked with exception of dips to mid 20s only when using binoculars at distance, is amazing to me.

i5 2430m 2.4ghz - Dual Core (4 threads)
4gb ram
GTX 525m 1gb

Every thing on low with the exception of screen filtering which only goes as low as medium. Very impressed further since low settings don't look like total ass

Unkle

It's not super complicated. There are new daily deals every day, and there are also community votes and flash sales which change periodically. If a game is a daily, community, or flash sale, that is the cheapest it is going to get, so go ahead and buy it. If the game has a general sale discount, but is not a daily, community, or flash sale (you can tell by looking at the timer on the sale price at the store page), then it may or may not get a deeper discount later on in the sale.

The general policy is to wait for games you want to go on a daily (or community or flash) sale before you pick them up. If the game you want never ends up getting a deeper discount, just buy it on the last day of the sale. You lose out on nothing by waiting until the last day, but if you just buy games on day one that aren't a daily, you potentially miss out on significant discounts.

tl:dr Wait for the dailies. On the last day, pick up anything that didn't get a daily.

Ah, perfect. Thanks for the explanation. Laptop's video card is its Achilles Heel so I'm gonna have to be a bit selective with what I get, I think. I'll check back every once in a while and see what's up - I've got nothing I'm particularly gunning for so it's whatever takes my fancy.

Kinsei

Banned
Looking at Dark Souls and not sure if I should buy it. Is it frustrating hard?

No. It's really hard, but 99.99% of the time it's completely fair. If you're really worried about frustration just make sure to stay hollowed so people can't invade you.

Ludovico

So Civ V and all expansions are at 75%.

If I only have gods and kings,
is Brave New World at 7.50
or Civ V Complete (all small expansions plus BNW) a better deal?

Basically - how much stuff is added from the expansions that AREN'T the big ones?

Well already managed to drop $100 today.

Mostly on Song Packs for Rocksmith but also picked up Styx, Ground Zeroes, and MGS Rising.

Thinking about EuroTruck Simulator 2, is it any good?

Lomax

Looking at Dark Souls and not sure if I should buy it. Is it frustrating hard?

It's boringly hard. As in, you'd better not mind clearing the same 5-10 minutes of trash mobs over and over as you learn how to kill a boss.

So Civ V and all expansions are at 75%.

If I only have gods and kings,
is Brave New World at 7.50
or Civ V Complete (all small expansions plus BNW) a better deal?

Basically - how much stuff is added from the expansions that AREN'T the big ones?

BNW is all you need in terms of play mechanics. The rest are additional civilizations and scenarios you really won't miss. Especially since you already have Gods and Kings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom