• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2016 - Out of cash, out of cache

Status
Not open for further replies.

MUnited83

For you.
If SFV doesn't have dinput at launch, that'll suck. But because we're on PC, there's a workaround. For the beta, I just used x360ce. Took maybe 30 seconds to set up, and I was happily using my RAP4 all beta.

Picked up some more goodies today. Bought this lovely book, and another 8gb of ram. Upon installing it, I had the wonderful discovery of seeing that my existing RAM wasn't fully clicked into the motherboard, and likely hadn't been since I first put the machine together. It still worked (obviously) but it was still amusing to see.

Don't most of fight sticks use dinput?

Jawmuncher

Looks like I got a code for SFV. Looks like I'll be able to start the grind for fight money early. Though I'll probably be playing at worse than PS4 settings if this GPU keeps acting up. I need it to hold on until I get my tax return.

Ucchedavāda;193935153 said:
Because it is the best solution I had found, so far.
I'll gladly take recommendations if you have any particular solution(s) in mind.

Most of the uses for x360ce, in my experience at least, revolved around getting a DS3 or DS4 working within windows and recognized as if it was an x360 controller. For DS3 I used the SCP drivers/service (for DS4 as well), but now I've moved to using DS4windows. I suppose it depends on what device you're using in place of a 360 controller as to whether or not those would work... if you're using something like a Wii U pro controller, they might not be an option. I just know I got tired of having to set it up with every game and so moving to the other options was a much more convenient and reliable way of doing things for me.

Looks like I got a code for SFV. Looks like I'll be able to start the grind for fight money early. Though I'll probably be playing at worse than PS4 settings if this GPU keeps acting up. I need it to hold on until I get my tax return.

What exactly do you mean by "looks like I got a code". Did you win it somewhere? Mysterious benefactor drop it in your inbox?

Teggy

Popped into the Witness detective thread. Hoo boy, this rabbit hole goes waaaaaaay down. Good for me though, I don't have the time or inclination to get involved with that having finished all the "regular people" parts of the game and put 30+ hours in.

I'll see if I can get back into DDDA a bit before XCOM hits. Actually, maybe I will finish Oxenfree.

Most of the uses for x360ce, in my experience at least, revolved around getting a DS3 or DS4 working within windows and recognized as if it was an x360 controller. For DS3 I used the SCP drivers/service (for DS4 as well), but now I've moved to using DS4windows. I suppose it depends on what device you're using in place of a 360 controller as to whether or not those would work... if you're using something like a Wii U pro controller, they might not be an option. I just know I got tired of having to set it up with every game and so moving to the other options was a much more convenient and reliable way of doing things for me.

Thanks. But neither of those apply, I would think, as I've got a PS3 HitBox (registers as a "HitBox Edition Cthulhu+").

Ucchedavāda;193936152 said:
Thanks. But neither of those apply, I would think, as I've got a PS3 HitBox (registers as a "HitBox Edition Cthulhu+").

Hmmm, not sure -- I have a fight stick that has an alternative to the Cthulhu board in it (dual strike, maybe?), but I'm unsure if either SCP driver or DS4Windows/Inputmapper would be able to capture/translate the dinput to xinput... if you had a PS3 fightstick with some sort of official Sony PCB backing it, it'd probably work, but yeah, you might be out of luck... or you can check out Nabs suggestion, since he usually knows his stuff. :)

Phawx

Basically development of GPUs takes a long time, with long lead times between development and product. What was leaked shows tooling used when testing early silicon.

Given the typical timelines, it seems unlikely based on that information, that nvidia actually has any fully working silicon samples of Pascal GPUs. Even when they said they did.

Given this information it also stands to reason, that Pascal is not shipping in June.

Also AMD was showing off low-end Polaris at CES and nVidia didn't show anything. Pretty damning.

We might see another fermi (GTX 480) AMD 5870 scenario. Meaning highend Polaris HBM2 will be Oct~2016 and High End nVidia will be 2017.

Jawmuncher

What exactly do you mean by "looks like I got a code". Did you win it somewhere? Mysterious benefactor drop it in your inbox?

Buddy at work surprised me with a code as a going away gift.

Since I'm fairly certain FFXV will be coming to PC at a later point, here the newest trailer. Final Fantasy XV: Niflheim Base Battle It's showing stealth and "combined" attacks.
At first glance I misread the "N" as an "M" and was a bit startled.
image_final_fantasy_xv-30717-2754_0001.jpg
Still loving the visuals.
---
There is also a retrospect on the Potato Masher's first year in service. I recommend checking all of PM's videos. It's a console-priced gaming PC which so far almost always surpassed console experience. Lately it's showing its shortcomings heavily in certain games, that's why the PM got an extra 4GB of RAM (9$) and is now a i5-750, GTX760, 8GB RAM. Even if in some cases you'd have to settle for consoles-fidelity, you'd still get the general advantages of a PC though.

The Potato Masher - Year One Review (plus, what's next!)

Jawmuncher

My expectations for Final Fantasy XV are extremely low after playing the demo. I'm expecting another FF13. Just an alright JRPG and that's it. Nothing that'll stand the test of time like the older titles. Though I expect a lot of people to eat it up just like dragon age Inquistion because it has side quests.

Hoping to be wrong though.

Messiah

Didn't really dig what I saw of FFXV so far. Funnily enought I am more looking forward to World of Final Fantasy at this point.

Ludens

Banned
My expectations for Final Fantasy XV are extremely low after playing the demo. I'm expecting another FF13. Just an alright JRPG and that's it. Nothing that'll stand the test of time like the older titles. Though I expect a lot of people to eat it up just like dragon quest Inquistion because it has side quests.

Hoping to be wrong though.

I expect something totally different from FF games, something heavily story-driven (like Last of Us), with less freedom while proceeding between an on-rail plot with some free roaming zones.
But it's ok, as I wrote the other day, I can't stomach anymore level ups, turn based combat etc.
I can do some exceptions from time to time (or for games which totally transform the concept, like Undertale, it was never boring), but generally if the game is action.oriented a la Kingdom Hearts, it's much better.

Pachimari

I'm hyped beyond belief when it comes to Final Fnatasy XV and it have been years since I have felt this way about a game. It's all about the world, story and characters to me.

They're hitting all of the right spots but I fear the side quests will be repetitive. That's the only thing I don't trust them to deliver on. I can imagine lots of bases with the same infiltration concept I'll get bored of quickly. Thankfully they don't seem to be necessary.

Jawmuncher

I'm hyped beyond belief when it comes to Final Fnatasy XV and it have been years since I have felt this way about a game. It's all about the world, story and characters to me.

They're hitting all of the right spots but I fear the side quests will be repetitive. That's the only thing I don't trust them to deliver on. I can imagine lots of bases with the same infiltration concept I'll get bored of quickly. Thankfully they don't seem to be necessary.

Funny enough the story stuff hasn't been hitting any of the right notes here. I like the look but that's about it. Regardless it's hard to meet expectations when you're technically a 10 year in dev game.

Is there some sale this week or next week or why are there only 43 titles in the weeklong deals?
How exactly do publishers set sales? If they are limited to being able to set sales to start within the same calender month or something then that could explain the lack currently. Well I say lack but rather it feels like the first week some usual suspects have not been on sale for.

I'm probably completely wrong...I'm just haunted by a mailing list that I can unsubscribe to but am automatically re-subscribed to at the start of every month :(

What, what, what, what,
WHAT!?!?!?
Remember how EA used to publish SquareSoft games in North America?
Edit: Joke beaten...what I get for being slow :(

I just dont do game hype anymore. I think the last time i rushed out to buy a game was MGSV because i feared that the game would be spoiled for me and i kinda gave a crap how that series ended.

I bought ROTTR for $20 if only because that's the price i would've paid in about 3-5 months anyway so i figure, why not.

Otherwise, i dunno, i just wait for games to drop in price and then pick them up. I only recently picked up dark souls 2 like 2 weeks ago and i LOVED dark and demon's souls.

I think hyping oneself for games just stops happening as you get older.

though i am legit hyped for consumer VR

Pachimari

Funny enough the story stuff hasn't been hitting any of the right notes here. I like the look but that's about it. Regardless it's hard to meet expectations when you're technically a 10 year in dev game.
I can see where you are coming from. Because it's basically army invades country, now we need to stop that. And we have seen that before, also in Final Fantasy titles. I'm alright with it though.

Pachimari

I think hyping oneself for games just stops happening as you get older.
I don't think it has anything to do with age. I just think it's a state of mind and how one feels in the given moments. I'm normally not getting hyped about games anymore either but out of left field, I can't help but be excited about Final Fantasy XV, Persona 5 and Tekken 7.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
How exactly do publishers set sales? If they are limited to being able to set sales to start within the same calender month or something then that could explain the lack currently. Well I say lack but rather it feels like the first week some usual suspects have not been on sale for.

Publishers can opt into Weeklongs and set their own discount periods (the length of which can be up to two weeks) up to two months in advance. There is a "six-week buffer rule" for discounts, though, excluding sales set up by Valve.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
Code:
i cannot wait for the louis vutton boy band stuff with final fantasy 15 characters

Hey, they are a fashionable boy band I love them for it.
I can live out my boy band dreams about going on a brotrip to stop a war.

EDIT: I hope Square's games will be good and that they will release on PC because I have always liked their games.

MUnited83

For you.
Man, I tried Postal 3.... it's something else alright. Like, wow, I knew it was shitty but nothing prepared me for this. How can someone fuck up this badly? How can someone form a game studio and fuck so hard in so basic game design?

Uzzy

Hey, they are a fashionable boy band I love them for it.
I can live out my boy band dreams about going on a brotrip to stop a war.

I hope they stop the war through the power of music. Hold such an epic rock concert that the enemy forces are routed.

yuraya

FFXV looks so ambitious its probably gonna collapse on itself. Looks like one of those jack of all trades, master of none type of things. They've shown funky action combat + very big open world + driving cars + all sorts of weird shit including cats and frogs. Those stealth sections looked all janky and scripted too. The movement, camera and locking on looked awkward. The story looks like its bouncing all over the place across timelines.

The FF community is very toxic. I expect for XV to be torn to pieces when it releases over some small weird thing. I'm rooting for it tho. Its been in development so long it deserves too be decent at least.

:(

Maniac

Banned
Man, I tried Postal 3.... it's something else alright. Like, wow, I knew it was shitty but nothing prepared me for this. How can someone fuck up this badly? How can someone form a game studio and fuck so hard in so basic game design?

I read that as Portal 3 and was gonna give you a sarcastic response along the lines of "Volvo is a hella shit dev fam" but then I realised you'd said Postal 3... And got confused. Didn't know there was more than two of 'em. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom