• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2017 - Magical Pyres can't melt Cold Steel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Momentary

Banned
I know this is the wrong place, but is there a way to uninstall a Windows game directly from the XBOX app?

Screw it. Just did it the old fashioned way.

Madventure

A few people have done that to me as well, I pressed ok or whatever the button was but I had no idea if I was even broadcasting or if it was even working at all! There didn't seem to be an indication of it functioning.

Yeah I used it once to show a friend a game and I had to ask them like 12 times to find out if it was working and then periodically ask them to see if it was still working or not. Just because I had no idea if it even was or if they were still there watching.

illusionary

I know this is the wrong place, but is there a way to uninstall a Windows game directly from the XBOX app?

Screw it. Just did it the old fashioned way.

The Microsoft help pages just refer to using the "All apps" page or the Programs and Features menu - so I'd assume not.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I feel that this feature was a by-product of them developing streaming tech for The International.

You're probably right, it feels like that and the Game Awards are the only times anyone is using something related to the tech. Maybe it's worth it for those rare events, maybe it isn't (Apple has their own proprietary streaming tech which exists just for Apple keynotes! More power to them!), but right now it's UI cruft no one cares about.

Ionic

No one uses Steam Broadcasts. Valve should sunset the feature and show whoever is active on Twitch with the game. If they want to adapt their side of the streaming code to output to Twitch, that's fine, but if not people will use an external app. But the browse page should simply show the game in question on Twitch.

The real use of this feature isn't visiting some random stream, it's right clicking your friend's name and immediately and effortlessly watching them play.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
The real use of this feature isn't visiting some random stream, it's right clicking your friend's name and immediately and effortlessly making them so uncomfortable they don't use Steam for a day or two.

Obi

Neo Member
Is this something people do? It doesn't seem to be.

All the time. I like to hang out and watch my friends play, while we chat on Discord. Right now I'm watching my buddy play though Tales of Berseria. It's pretty nice. I get to watch the story without having to deal with the combat (I'm pretty bad at reflex games.)

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

t1cxE6r.gif
DmC: Devil May Cry -- MB-A9C3DCFBCE34EC13 - Taken by Zeknurn. 2 entrants total.
STRIDER -- MB-CB7633B52C57BE72 - Taken by Jadax. 2 entrants total.

t1500355932z1.png

AHA-Lambda

It's pretty casual and easy to grasp. Jump onto an island, loot things, try to kill dudes or lay low. The learning curve isn't very steep.

You can be very successful and have very low (shooting) skill. For example, I somehow hit top 300 in win ranking, but am in the top 22,000 for ranking in kills at .70~ KDR. Game can be as equally rewarding to pure strategy than shooting finesse. Also most games will run 20~ minutes for the average person and with the player base there's very little down time in between matches for MM.

How accessible is it compared to Overwatch?

I'm always told that's easy to get into yet I'm shit at that too :/

Coreda

Interestingly after successfully editing various appmanifest files (.acf) which kept games from appearing in the update queue a couple have now returned despite the appmanifest file having the same StateFlags value as before ('4').

So somehow Steam is bypassing the value in the file rather than editing and changing the value as it did previously. I wonder if this was a client update and who would be paying attention to this little known tweak.

dot

The real use of this feature isn't visiting some random stream, it's right clicking your friend's name and immediately and effortlessly watching them play.

I just tried doing this and it nearly crashed my client

gaben pls

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Interestingly after successfully editing various appmanifest files (.acf) which kept games from appearing in the update queue a couple have now returned despite the appmanifest file having the same StateFlags value as before ('4').

So somehow Steam is bypassing the value in the file rather than editing and changing the value as it did previously. I wonder if this was a client update and who would be paying attention to this little known tweak.

I thought that might happen. Steam refreshes library -> detects an update it previously wasn't aware of -> queues update.

How accessible is it compared to Overwatch?

I'm always told that's easy to get into yet I'm shit at that too :/
Well that really depends on your goal going into it. It's a 100 player last man standing match, is it easy to get to get to number one? No. But is it easy to get a grasp on the flow, find a playstyle that is fun for you, and get some fun scenarios out of it? Absolutely. It's not a very competitive game I would say, it's a game that instills a lot of chance and the outcomes from that are what make it so appealing. It's a really simple game when it comes down to it, but it's still a shooter -- so you'll need to be able to spot people (this can be harder than it sounds) and shoot them.

Coreda

I thought that might happen. Steam refreshes library -> detects an update it previously wasn't aware of -> queues update.

Yeah but previously when it would detect an update from time to time despite the manual editing of the ACF file it would always edit the StateFlags value in the file (to '6' for those I observed), now it no longer does so I'm unable to manually change the value back and keep it out of the queue.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Yeah but previously when it would detect an update from time to time despite the manual editing of the ACF file it would always edit the StateFlags value in the file (to '6' for those I observed), now it no longer does so I'm unable to manually change the value back and keep it out of the queue.

Ah.

Edit: Hmm, I just switched to the dev branch for Garry's Mod and StateFlags was changed to 6 when the update was detected and again to 1030 when it started downloading. Closing Steam and manually changing the value to 4 worked as you'd expect.

Edit edit: Spares:
ModBot said:
I am giving away 5 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Beach Bounce + OST -- MB-320BFA9C561F0883 - Taken by Pixieking
Divine Slice of Life + OST -- MB-BBC97D879EAA067B - Taken by voodooray
Highschool Possession -- MB-962FDF3DCAB7926E - Taken by Monooboe
Highschool Romance -- MB-BEC47245DA75E2C6 - Taken by Mike Bison
Sword of Asumi -- MB-9D32E570B33BDFCA - Taken by Jadax

Edit edit edit: Steam just detected an update for Dragon's Trap and, as with the Garry's Mod branch change test, StatesFlag was set to 6 and manually changing the value to 4 removed the update from the queue.

Lain

One time someone requested to watch me play a game and I was so uncomfortable as I didn't even know it was a feature that I quit the game and didn't launch steam again for a day or two.

I only had Rhaknar request to watch me play once, but my connection isn't up for that kind of stuff so I wonder what he managed to see really.

Arthea

the heck? /\

I only had Rhaknar request to watch me play once, but my connection isn't up for that kind of stuff so I wonder what he managed to see really.

I can't stand people watching me play, like IDK what to even compare it, it's kinda distracting and kills most of fun.

Parsnip

Frost watched me play Dark souls once, when I had that feature turned on.

No one uses Steam Broadcasts. Valve should sunset the feature and show whoever is active on Twitch with the game. If they want to adapt their side of the streaming code to output to Twitch, that's fine, but if not people will use an external app. But the browse page should simply show the game in question on Twitch.
Rather than sunset it, they should expand it to have "game dvr" functionality so no one would have to use GeForce Experience for Shadowplay ever again.

Echoplx

Frost watched me play Dark souls once, when I had that feature turned on.

Rather than sunset it, they should expand it to have "game dvr" functionality so no one would have to use GeForce Experience for Shadowplay ever again.

You can do that with OBS Studio, it uses NVENC so it's pretty much the same.

Parsnip

You can do that with OBS Studio, it uses NVENC so it's pretty much the same.
Of course I can do it with any number of external applications. I haven't used the nvidia shitapp in ages.
But if they built that in to Steam, I wouldn't have to use external apps at all.

Any other games other than Cuphead, Pyre and Tacoma I should look forward to the next 1-2 months?

A million and one Falcom games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom