• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2017 - Magical Pyres can't melt Cold Steel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tizoc

Praise Crom

I noticed I have some unclaimed keys from a humble monthly in my humble account so I might make a giveaway from those soon

although I'm also seeing an assassin's creed key that i swear i had given away already

Weird the keys are not appearing on humble like I had not claimed them yet but I see I made a giveaway with these games using keys?
Humble is weird that way; some keys would still remain unclaimed even though you know you claimed them, such as games you bought and already redeemd their key for.

Nintendo would say they are not supporting the PC whatsoever and then announce all this cool shit for Splatoon 2.

Fucking Nintendo.

Endruen

Also, as a side note

6lTBGcV.png

It must be an error, right?

It's coming out of Early Access this summer, so I don't think so.

I've just started playing Rebuild 3. It's probably the deepest zombie survival game out there--you make your own government! Finally, you can Walking Dead with the best of them. It's a sort of real-time 4X (I think there's a turn-based option available) where you, well, survive a zombie apocalypse by 4Xing the territory and zombies around you. The UI is a little mobile port-y but it seems pretty good so far--just finished the first campaign level.

I made the smuggest survivor possible.
She is a college student. (You can tell thanks to the calculator!)

And I founded the Communist Republic of Snoqualmie.
They, uh, only tell you the type of government after you've made all the policy decisions. I went with President and only thought of Governor later; maybe next time.

It is a good game. The writing is a lot sharper than I suspected going in--they present it as sorta serious, sorta comedic and actually pull it off. And there's a lot of mechanics still hidden to me, which gives me a lot of hope for future campaigns.
Paging Jawmuncher:

Just play through each character's whole chapters in order. Chronological leads to a lot of awful mission repeats, and I dunno what else could justify an out-of-order playlist.
It's coming out of Early Access this summer, so I don't think so.

The RPS article mentions console price parity as the reason for the change. Don't want anyone to feel ripped off, y'know.

Ludens

Banned
ModBot said:
Instructions for Ludens:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
-
ad5hOev.png
7zwunRg.png
It's ModBot's birthday! Celebrate by giving out something other than bundle garbage today!
7zwunRg.png
ad5hOev.png

- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Ludens, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Black Squad beta -- MB-7EB59C3A50AD14C2

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Question. Generally, checkerboard tends to offer a pretty good visual / performance ratio when a native resolution can't be reached.

My question is, if you CAN reach native, would you be benefited visually from super sampling checkerboard vs Native?

Ie: 3840 x 2160 vs 5120 x 2880 CB

Assuming identical performant level, would the checkerboarded higher res offer a better visual?

The_Monk

Hey my good GAFfers!

Hope you had a good Steam sale, I managed to grab a couple of games but not much else for me. I do miss that rush of "I hope I don't get coal" sort of games during the sales.

Is anyone playing Keystone's Alpha? There is a test this weekend I see. I'm curious for impressions.

Oh hi, Monk! Nice to see you back.

Tizoc

Hey my good GAFfers!

Hope you had a good Steam sale, I managed to grab a couple of games but not much else for me. I do miss that rush of "I hope I don't get coal" sort of games during the sales.

Hiya been a while, you just passin' by or can we expect more cool reviews from you ;3

MRORANGE

Oh shit, sorry guys thought the sale ended today, so just started making the thread.

Will send the recommendations to Uzzy.

I'll start again at August with the thread.

Tizoc

qVdYZvS.jpg

Good luck and let me know if you encounter issues redeeming the key.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 17 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
-
ad5hOev.png
7zwunRg.png
It's ModBot's birthday! Celebrate by giving out something other than bundle garbage today!
7zwunRg.png
ad5hOev.png

- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

header_292x136.jpg
header_292x136.jpg
header_292x136.jpg

header_292x136.jpg
header_292x136.jpg
header_292x136.jpg

header_292x136.jpg
header_292x136.jpg
header_292x136.jpg

t1cxE6r.gif
Get Even -- MB-09CF34C1D664C7A4 - Taken by Hektor. 44 entrants total.
t1cxE6r.gif
SPINTIRES -- MB-A0851F060B595860 - Taken by bobnowhere. 18 entrants total.
Alan Wake's American Nightmare -- MB-57194D29859050D0 - Taken by Endruen. 1 entrants total.
Alan Wake's Collector's Edition -- MB-BBD03F81635DCA1B - Taken by Mikurden. 5 entrants total.
Broken Age -- MB-48727B69D53EEC78
Contradiction -- MB-5DE28EDEA9EA378F - Taken by KainXVIII. 38 entrants total.
Headlander -- MB-CB82048CA2A0D1CC - Taken by Dangerblade. 24 entrants total.
Root Double -- MB-F53427418AD6CC2D - Taken by Monooboe. 18 entrants total.
t1cxE6r.gif
Sonic Mania -- MB-0A5B3901E03BFEB6 - Taken by KenOD. 62 entrants total.
SpeedRunners -- MB-DE3223E600F0D1F3
The Deadly Tower of Monsters -- MB-D5FAF357BEDD57E5 - Taken by Sarcasm. 6 entrants total.
The Keep -- MB-95DE56155315BEBD - Taken by Ladekabel. 4 entrants total.
The Turing Test -- MB-33097CF661E7253F - Taken by Father_Brain. 28 entrants total.
Undertale -- MB-E05AE65BA0B5D5C1 - Taken by pantsattack. 20 entrants total.
Volgarr the Viking -- MB-C5D56BA2AAD8B59D - Taken by Orakio Rob. 2 entrants total.
Westerado: Double Barreled -- MB-A8FC3AA31AC180A4 - Taken by MushroomSamba. 6 entrants total.
t1cxE6r.gif
t1cxE6r.gif
t1cxE6r.gif
Xanadu Next -- MB-088C4EEFD351BB68 - Taken by AHA-Lambda. 61 entrants total.

t1499450920z1.png

Jadax

I envy all you guys who can play first-person (and related) games without getting a nauseating feeling.

I have so many games I want to try, but keep getting 'motion-sickness'. I don't know what happened, just suddenly started happening. I mean, I'm getting it from effin Morrowind as well.

Maybe I need to increase my fov, or fps.

Teggy

It's crazy seeing a game like Nier Automata outsell (and in a shorter timeframe). Something like Resident Evil 7. I would have never thought it'd be possible.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1402050

More reason to go back to Action RE capcom (´ω`)

I wonder if RE7 sold less because it presented itself as being scarier than previous installments. I know from my extremely limited sample size of 1, I held off on playing it until I had heard it wasn't quite as extreme as Outlast. And it was still pretty scary.

Wok

Some people have expressed the desire to see more "hidden hidden gems" (H²G) and fewer "hidden gems" (HG). H²G are expected to suffer in terms of review scores, because they don't benefit from the same hype as popular games, which results in the following:
  • Steam review scores of H²G do not benefit from people leaving 1-liner good reviews like "this game is good. 10/10. Would buy again."
  • even if their Steam review scores were perfect, then Wilson scores of H²G are penalized by a lack of reviews.
So I have tried to detect H²G by dropping the review scores altogether. The quality measure in the algorithm is replaced with the "median playtime", as provided by SteamSpy. We expect good games to be played longer, but we don't want to be biased by people playing mindless F2P clicker games, etc., so we use the median playtime instead of the average playtime.

The second point is the measure of the popularity of a game. For HG, I used the number of players. This could be good as well here. Or we could use the number of reviews. I don't know which would be better.

This is the result with quality=median playtime and popularity=#players:
https://gist.github.com/woctezuma/dec6f4c876bbc0f0fccc8bba7a73d883

This is the result with quality=median playtime and popularity=#reviews:
https://gist.github.com/woctezuma/4eb1ebced157c9f78918d253e61ce91a

It might be non-sense, I'm still working on it.

I think 7 underperformed for 2 main reasons. 6 was not received well and 7 was a dramatic playstyle shift for the mainline series that has been fairly similar since 4.

The_Monk

Hiya been a while, you just passin' by or can we expect more cool reviews from you ;3

Never just passin' by, but I had some things to take care recently.. sorrry for being away. ;)

I only played two small games recently that may not be very interesting for most people but I did wrote some very small impressions for them.

A classic Tower defense game where everything you can expect from these kinds of games are in it: different defenses for different scenarios, upgrades to improve your attacks and hordes of enemies that will keep you busy while avoiding defeat.

The surprising aspect of Rock N Roll Defense is the theme of the game. Normally, tower defense fans often see towers with guns, rockets and submachine guns but in here it's all about the music and the different kind of music speakers that you will put on the road to avoid losing is a very interesting way that sure feels refreshing to this genre.

If you are into rock music you can also buy the soundtrack that will keep you pumped while defending the stage. You may not be into all of the soundtracks but there are few interesting ones.

I finished all levels in around 6 hours with some levels that I had to restart because I lost or because I was trying to get 3 skulls (no damage to the stage) but to honest I didn't even notice that time whas flying by. If you like tower defense games with a decent strategy and you are looking for something with a different theme, this game might be just what you are looking for.

Rock on!

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198043835726/recommended/438480

And this one:

While the game feels a bit short, Splatter is just what it promises: a top down shooter with plenty to kill and some people to help (or not) along the way. You start your game with a small variety of weapons but as you advance more and more weapons will become available as well upgrading the ones you already own.

Considering its very low price it ended being quite a nice surprise. The story may now be remarkable and the main character often feel cheesy from my own perspective but in the end what matters is that the game feels satisfying to play. It's easy to start and it will leave you curious thinking what's happening in the next location or if the people from a certain village will survive or not.

The game can be finished in less than 5 hours but its lenght will depend on what difficulty you are playing. If you want more out of game after completing the main story there is also an arcade mode to test your skills and compete for your spot in the leaderboards as well local co-op for you to enjoy with your friends.

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198043835726/recommended/281920

who are you!?

:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom