• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2015 - Paid Mods? We hardly Nuuvem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
eh I don't mind those guys in the OT. To be fair the game difficulty IS weird. Sword and Story is super easy, whereas Blood and Broken Bones, which might seem like the "normal" option, is pretty hardcore in a lot of ways. Not really on how hard it is but the fact that it forces you to hunt for wild life to regain life and such.

lots of more nuanced concepts than your typical console RPG

Oh no, I'm missing out on whole mechanics with sword and story? It was default and not the lowest, so i figured it was "normal"

Salsa

Oh no, I'm missing out on whole mechanics with sword and story? It was default and not the lowest, so i figured it was "normal"

you won't really need to use potions and oils, whereas you might in Blood and Broken Bones. what I mean by the health thing is that it doesnt regenerate when you meditate.

just turn it up a notch, you can mid-game

Jawmuncher

I mean dinosaurs are cool but not to the point where you gotta pretend you like some shitty game just cause they're on it

Nah if the game is shit I don't like it though. I've made it pretty clear that I won't just gobble them all up. Look at the games on steam with dinosaurs and the ones I actually own. Damn man that remark cut me deep.

Tizoc

Hey Jawmuncher.
Read this, it's friggin' awesome, textless and just awesome art featuring dinosaurs
ageRep_04.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1595826831/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Man...guess I'll order Xeozic+AoR from amazon later...

I am trying it, it's not like normal difficulty skips the combat entirely. It's just less of a hassle and more fun for me, preparing potions and oils isn't as important and such. And meditating restores your health.

Same. I started on the higher difficulty, but was getting too frustrated
because I suck
. I'm find enjoying things quite a bit more on the lower difficulty now

...Thought she looked familar

wilflare

PC finally up.
but flying off to Taiwan for 7days..

got Witcher 3
got Life is Strange
got Bioshock Infinite (lol)
installed waiting for me to come back

Dr Dogg

Nice Kotaku article about W3 downgrade

The Witcher 3 Downgrade Controversy Sucks

Sure well constructed but it doesn't take a reasonable level of intelligence to understand that those who are up in arms about it won't read or listen to this. As per every marketed to the hills games the furore over The Witcher III will die down and those who were out for blood will have moved on but the majority will ultimately learnt nothing. Why? Because if they were able to apply any sense of reasoning then they wouldn't be holding a game to promotional materials for a product years away from being final, they wouldn't be getting so emotionally attached to mere minutes worth of highly choreographed footage let alone listen to an article trying to persuade them otherwise. Something will come around this E3 a lot of people will lose their shit over and the cycle will begin a new with nothing learnt at all, not one bit. By all means call out the publisher for deceiving you but don't get suckered into it time and time and time and time again.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Tim Schafer talks about his desire to make "weird games" capable of being blockbuster hits, life without a publisher to take the heat/downfall for your development realities, his "media" persona vs the internet and some other stuff.

"We used to have a buffer," he says. "Publishers would absorb almost all the negativity in the world. Your fans love to love you and to hate a big publisher. That was a great place to be. Now we’re face-to-face, which has brought both good and bad things. We’re directly exposed to their love and money through crowdfunding, but also their unrestrained rage."

"If you’re going to create a high-profile media version of yourself, you have to accept that person is sometimes going to be a magnet for animosity. But early on, I always realized there was a difference between me the person and me the media creation who was generated to help me get games funded.

"Some people get driven kind of crazy by confusing the two things. They think, 'Oh, I was in a magazine. I was on TV. I’m super famous. I must be awesome.' But really, EA is marketing something and you’re just the guy sitting on top of EA’s marketing rocket."

Schafer wants his work, and Double Fine's output, to always be about personal perspectives, unique ways of looking at the world, about 12-year-old girls who take pictures of dead horses.

"Video games are not a statement, like a message, but a personal perspective on the world that’s consistent within that world. It's not something that was designed by committee or designed by a marketing focus group.

Anyway, Witcher 1 is a lot of fun. So much to see and do in the first town Vizima. And I haven't even entered the real town, only been exploring the outskirts.

"Romanced" already several ladies. To my surprise I didn't even had to do much. They are surprisingly thirsty for Witchers.

What I like is that I can go into buildings. Rather not though the shrieking sound effect upon entering and leaving. The heck were they thinking?

Helps that the game looks pretty good as well.

Oh yeah, solved my weird performance problems by clean installing Geforce drivers and rebooting PC. It happens with ever game, so I think a very soon reformat/reinstall of Windows is inevitable :(

Jawmuncher

That's a soft yes
Did the console versions restrict the PC version?

"If the consoles are not involved there is no Witcher 3 as it is," answers Marcin Iwinski, definitively. "We can lay it out that simply. We just cannot afford it, because consoles allow us to go higher in terms of the possible or achievable sales; have a higher budget for the game, and invest it all into developing this huge, gigantic world.

"Developing only for the PC: yes, probably we could get more [in terms of graphics] as there would be nothing else - they would be so focused, like if we would develop only on Xbox One or PlayStation 4. But then we cannot afford such a game."

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Dead Rising 2 import works, but Dead Rising 2: Off the Record's import completely breaks.

Oh Capcom...

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
The "making of" documentary for Pillars of Eternity is now available

Backer Email said:
Documentary

To access your documentary reward head over to your Products page on the Backer Portal. From the "Making Of Documentary" entry you can click the "Watch Video" button. If you prefer to download the documentary directly you can do so on Steam, GOG or Origin. In the future we will allow direct downloads from the Backer Portal. Steam and Origin currently have the documentary live and GOG should have the documentary live in the next day or so.

No clue where to find it on Steam, but it's online on Obsidians site

edit: it's listed as DLC now on Steam (1,6GB)

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Man, in the Witcher 3 thread are a kind of people I didn't see in all the game threads I followed so far. Moaning about reading in a rpg, don't understand things that get explained in the tutorial, puzzled when they can't jsut slice through and people who explain openly that they cheat. What is that, what even is that.

You should look at more RPG threads, considering that you'll find people complaining about reading tons of text in some RPG OTs :p

I remember seeing that point come up in the Pillars of Eternity OT repeatedly, for example.

The hotly-anticipated sequel to Expeditions: Conquistador is here. Behold Expeditions: Viking, and gasp in awe at its glorious visage.

This is seriously good news, SteamGAF. EC is an underappreciated gem of an RPG/Roguelike/strategy game. High hopes for the sequel.

Expeditions: Conquistador was great, I'm really looking forward to anything the devs release.

The game's OST is so good.

im not a girl now either right

MUnited83

For you.
You should look at more RPG threads, considering that you'll find people complaining about reading tons of text in some RPG OTs :p

I remember seeing that point come up in the Pillars of Eternity OT repeatedly, for example.

Expeditions: Conquistador was great, I'm really looking forward to anything the devs release.

The game's OST is so good.
Well, Pillars of Eternity is wayyy too verbose. And the filler backer stories do not help matters.

Chariot

It's the same with Bloodbourne. Hyped up console release = a bunch of people that may not have played the genre before and are getting shellshocked by things they didn't know how to process.
Yeah, imagination seems to run wild too. It's like CDPR promised them Paradise but led them to West Virginia.

Am i doing notice boards wrong? At the first one, i took the 2/6 quests that did not seem like menial tasks in service of the empire. Were those just flavor with no real quest? If so, any reason to actually "take"them?
Some are quests, some are not. Some are direct missions, some are hints to missions and some are just pure fluff to give you a better sense of the world and the location at hand.

One of my favorite missions in The Witcher 2 is early on, when you have to reassemble your silver sword. the game mentions that you need to do this, it puts it in your quest log, but it doesn't poke you and throw twenty red exclamation points with neon signs and everyone shouting at you from the balconies of town that you need to fix your sword, stupid.

the game just tells you you need to do it and kinda lays back, lets you get around to it. I really respected that about it. They knew that they gave you enough info, they put it in the menu, they respected you as a gamer to have the sense to check all of your options and not be a cryin' baby who needs to have every aspect of the game spoonfed to you.

I don't know if CDPR followed that kinda let-the-baby-walk-for-a-bit-and-if-it-falls-it-falls type of mentality with TW3 but your post kinda suggest that they did and kudos for them not making TW3 another vanilla idiots water-downed WRPG.
I can't remember the mission despite having played Witcher 2 last week. Weird. My head has memory leaks. Anyways, yes and no. Witcher 3 has made something easier. Like, your potions refill automatically while meditating if you have alcohol and if you don't disable it you map shows all important locations on the map, including not discovered ones. Disabled that of course, because it takes exploration from me, but I can understand muncyh when he doesn't want to explore for himself. Running in circles and then missing something is painful.

But yeah, it gives you all the tools and in some quests even asks you directly to look into your bestiary to study the target and develop your plan to take it down. All people have to do is to look into the book. Missions, persons, monsters, it has everything important in it.

How is it that people inform themselves so badly about games in a games forum?

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Well, Pillars of Eternity is wayyy too verbose. And the filler backer stories do not help matters.

I just ignored the backer stories after reading the first few because they were pointless. A few of the ones that I read didn't really mesh that well with the world of PoE, either, so I don't think that I missed out on too much by skipping them.

As for the actual writing, I don't know. I thought the writing was perfectly fine. The only thing that bothered me was the fact that not every line of spoken dialogue was voiced, leaving gaps where they should have been voice acting.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
Poor samuel will probably be blamed for that paint on the victorias cloth :(

This game makes me sad by just the little stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom