• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2017 - Praeying for Dino Crisis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nezzhil

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Stronghold Crusader 2 -- MB-0921FBAFDB862677 - Taken by Vlad. 1 entrants total.
Evoland 2 -- MB-340EBA5E89144F11 - Taken by Jadax. 6 entrants total.
Rust (Early Access) -- MB-F891AD4C25B21BF5 - Taken by claytonlee101. 6 entrants total.
Shantae and the Pirate's Curse -- MB-0276E2AC02EAFE10 - Taken by Spring-Loaded. 4 entrants total.

t1495809898z1.png

Kaleinc

Banned
It's more secure than Win7 or 8.1, right?
No. What happened regarding wannacry was an NSA backdoor sitting in windows for 20 years, then the leak took place and ms updated win10 only a measly month ago when they learned about the leak but ransomware didn't exist yet. Then shit hits the fan and good guy ms issues updates even for unsupported os such as xp. They could have patched 7, 8 the same time they did 10 but hey 10 is more secure, sure.

Pixieking

Banned
No. What happened regarding wannacry was an NSA backdoor sitting in windows for 20 years, then the leak took place and ms updated win10 only a measly month ago when they learned about the leak but ransomware didn't exist yet. Then shit hits the fan and good guy ms issues updates even for unsupported os such as xp. They could have patched 7, 8 the same time they did 10 but hey 10 is more secure, sure.

Well, you actually just admitted it's more secure - they patched Win10 a month ago. :p

It's pedantic, but it's also somewhat accurate - they patched Win10 before any other OS. Yes, they certainly should've patched it before, and, yes, they should've patched all OSs together. They should've done this, and they're dicks for not doing it. But the fact that they prioritised Win10 in this situation actually proves my point - it is more secure than 7 or 8.1.

Aaron D.

Admission: FO4 is my guilty pleasure. When I'm too tired to play anything challenging, I just pop in and run around for a bit. It's relaxing since it's not demanding.

Heh. It was my GOTY 2015.

Say all you want about it not being a "true" RPG or having a horrible dialogue wheel, I won't even argue it.

But Bethesda has exploration & discovery gameplay nailed down, as well as environmental storytelling.

Traversing through the Boston wasteland is an absolute joy. And the shooting ain't too shabby either!

Ludens

Banned
Is there a way to download and play Fallout 4 during the weekend?
Because the install button still doesn't work here, not even in Big Picture (a think proved useful for some people).

Vuze

The creator update for Windows 10 forced its way onto my computer this morning, and now all sound hardware and drivers are gone from my computer, except NVIDIA's driver for HDMI. Apparently this bug has been present since March, but I guess Microsoft thinks the update is good enough to launch.

Don't update Windows 10 people!
I had to do a presentation last tuesday and left my laptop running and connected overnight so it can do all updates and whatever while charging. Of course it didn't do jackshit and it started updating when I pulled it out of my bag at university. The update process finished last minute before I had to set it up.
The opposite is of course true when I'm actually downloading or similar overnight. Bet your ass Windows 10 will restart and update at some point and crash everything. I hate this POS. Not to mention MS also doesn't give a shit about gaming and refuses to fix controller issues present and reported for months and my customizations to Win10 settings are gone after every other update.
If only I could justify the cost of a Mac for productivity purposes.

yuraya

Is there a way to download and play Fallout 4 during the weekend?
Because the install button still doesn't work here, not even in Big Picture (a think proved useful for some people).

Its been available to play since yesterday. Just go to the store page and click the "play game" button.

Vlad

The timed doors might be my biggest issue with Dead Cells so far, as they force me to speedrun if I want to open them and I simply hate speed-running when there are so many parts of the map for me to explore and maybe find upgrades in for the run.

I haven't played Dead Cells yet, but just as a general comment on timed stuff in roguelikes, it seems to be the kind of thing that you're meant to go for once you get better at the game. The Binding of Isaac (still my gold standard for a roguelike that gets everything right) has a couple of areas that can only be accessed via doing part of the game faster than you probably would normally. Generally speaking, the risk of not exploring the entire area is the whole point of going for the time-unlockable stuff.

Of course, the fun part about how Binding of Isaac handles it is that you probably don't even realize that there's time-limited content until you stumble upon it after getting one of those REALLY good runs and beating the clock accidentally.

Kssio_Aug

I've bought an RX 480, but I'd like to be sure if my GPU is working as it should. Is there some way to run some kinda of test and compare it to normal results in some kinda of website?

One more thing: the card I had before was an Nividia card. Everythime I installed a new driver I used to just select a clean install in GeForce Experience app. Can I do a clean install with AMD or I need to run DDU every time I decide to update it?

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of Nezzhil, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

t1cxE6r.gif
Stronghold Crusader 2 -- MB-0921FBAFDB862677 - Taken by Vlad. 1 entrants total.
Evoland 2 -- MB-340EBA5E89144F11 - Taken by Jadax. 6 entrants total.
Rust (Early Access) -- MB-F891AD4C25B21BF5 - Taken by claytonlee101. 6 entrants total.
Shantae and the Pirate's Curse -- MB-0276E2AC02EAFE10 - Taken by Spring-Loaded. 4 entrants total.

t1495809898z1.png

Lain

League of Maidens. ��

Exactly as you would expect: bikini armors for everyone.

It makes speed-running viable. It does not mean everyone has to speed-run.

Seeing these unopenable doors with fogged out map telling me the door closed down 6 minutes earlier just stabs at my gotta explore and reveal everything side.

You speedrun every door once to get the blueprints (but I don't think every timed door HAS a blueprint), then ignore them. At least that was my plan, but I am too bad at speedrunning and finding some of the later doors in time (the Fjord one will always be just plain impossible).

I managed to reach one door 7 seconds before it closed and all I got were gold items QQ

I haven't played Dead Cells yet, but just as a general comment on timed stuff in roguelikes, it seems to be the kind of thing that you're meant to go for once you get better at the game. The Binding of Isaac (still my gold standard for a roguelike that gets everything right) has a couple of areas that can only be accessed via doing part of the game faster than you probably would normally. Generally speaking, the risk of not exploring the entire area is the whole point of going for the time-unlockable stuff.

Of course, the fun part about how Binding of Isaac handles it is that you probably don't even realize that there's time-limited content until you stumble upon it after getting one of those REALLY good runs and beating the clock accidentally.

I'll keep that in mind as I unlock more stuff in the game.

General question about Steam. I was downloading Black Desert Online. I had downloaded 33GB out of 49. I had to reboot the PC to install a windows update. I made sure to pause the download and close Steam manually. After the reboot Steam started downloading Black Desert Online back.... from 0. Am I fucked?!

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
How come old Lionhead Studios (or Lionhead Studios in general) aren't in Steam or even GOG? I know The Movies was in Steam but it vanished.

How come old Lionhead Studios (or Lionhead Studios in general) aren't in Steam or even GOG? I know The Movies was in Steam but it vanished.

Rights issues.The movies is own by Activision, the code and the actual game is own by Microsoft and it was developed by a studio that no longer exists. it could come back, i just find it unlikely.

Black & White 1 & 2 are weird because EA has the rights to re-release them, just chooses not to. Much like original The Sims.

MaxiLive

You guys get the email from GMG to get THIS bundle for $0.15?

I bought because....$0.15 and In Between I didnt have and it looks swell.

Thanks for the heads up :)

Spare:

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (MaxiLive, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

ONIKIRA DEMON KILLER STEAM -- MB-BA689EE9F344AAFD - Taken by Vuze

Jawmuncher

Vanquish is the game I needed right now. Fast Paced with good mechanics Third Person Action.
We haven't had enough of this lately.

Knurek

Everyone using Windows 10 should get into a habbit of delaying big updates. Each major version should have 18 months of support, so really, nobody is forcing you to switch to Creators Update or whatever.
This works on every version of Windows, including Home.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I see. But will we be able to play the game at the same time from the same game folder? or should I copy the game for each account?

The former. The only potential issue is that particularly old games generally save configs and progress within the installation folder, so there'd be overlap if you were both playing, say, Quake 2.

The former. The only potential issue is that particularly old games generally save configs and progress within the installation folder, so there'd be overlap if you were both playing, say, Quake 2.

I see. So it's like the other non-Steam games that I've tried so far. And that seems to be the case for Guild Wars 2 as well. Our configs overlap each other so every time we start the game one of us have to mute the music again and again.

Anyway, thanks JaseC.

Did anyone manage to properly play Vanquish in Big Picture Mode?

Generally, I can launch the game from BPM and the DS4 works fine, but my custom config of touching the touchpad for taking screenshots doesn't. It works for other games like Dark Souls 2 for example, but not in Vanquish. Also, the PS button to go back to BPM just doesn't work. I have to manually go back to the title screen and quit from there to close the game. While normally I should be able to close it from BPM from everywhere I want.

Does the BPM & controller support varies depending on the game?

Borderlands Presequel seasons pass has to be the most mind blowing pricing histories of all time. I bought the full game day 1 for full price (I dont regret it) but in the past year or more they have essentially been giving the whole game for free or very cheap but the seasons pass never gets a huge discount. I hear most of the seasons pass is forgettable too. https://www.greenmangaming.com/game-franchises/

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Borderlands Presequel seasons pass has to be the most mind blowing pricing histories of all time. I bought the full game day 1 for full price (I dont regret it) but in the past year or more they have essentially been giving the whole game for free or very cheap but the seasons pass never gets a huge discount. I hear most of the seasons pass is forgettable too. https://www.greenmangaming.com/game-franchises/

thats the case with most games these days, and the reason you are seeing bigger releases in humble monthly.

Like, Stellaris so soon. Why do you think that is, its because it has a fuckton of DLC that they are banking on at least a portion of those people buying. Youll notice most bigger releases on humble monthly have a ton of dlc not included.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom