• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2017 - Summer Ys Ending

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lain

Not sure if this has been posted yet...

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2017-09-13-funcom-steam-user-reviews-should-be-region-gated

It's an article in which Funcom complains about negative Steam reviews and proposes that they be region locked.

Their complaint is that people who live in countries that don't have multiplayer servers close by will be more likely to leave a negative review and that players who live in countries close to servers should not be able to see those negative reviews lest it affect their purchasing decision. I bet they won't mind it if it goes other way around though.

It's kind of crazy that they can see a problem like this and their proposed solution is to hide this information instead of actually trying to address the problem for the negatively affected customers. I understand a medium size company can't setup servers everywhere but you can at least try to make it a little more equitable. In the article they complain about how Chinese players review bombed their game instead of realizing that China is one of the most important destinations for gaming and that it is absolutely worth the investment to put up servers in China.

I guess one thing you can take away from this article is that some companies do care about Steam reviews and review bombing.

We should start to regionlock neogaf posts too while we're at it. Regionlock everything, it always works!

BeEgB8b.png

What region?

PUBG is still #1 in my region and global.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Aliasing effects depend, additionally, on screen size and viewing distance as well. Even a 4K screen could be quite susceptible to it, if you blow it way up (north of 80 inch) and sit "too close".

I have a 43inch 4k TV and sit a few feet away

Just wondering if lowering/disabling it for performance would affect quality that much

Guys, still regarding the Humble Book Bundle: if I go for the one dollar tier now and then decide to go for another tier, can I just add money for the upgrade?

EDIT: Yes, I can.

Nabs

1500 people are playing CSD2... I have a feeling chubigans is going to be one happy guy when he wakes up.

I won the first Cook Serve Delicious in a Gaf giveaway. I love the gameplay, it's really fun, but I suck so much at management that I get stressed choosing the menu and what to buy next ^_^

They're just thinking of ways to implement loot boxes into the client before they go through with it. Like you'll need to open up boxes to get letters to change your display name with, the extra rares are vowels.

Pixieking

Banned
They're just thinking of ways to implement loot boxes into the client before they go through with it. Like you'll need to open up boxes to get letters to change your display name with, the extra rares are vowels.

Can you get loot boxes for free, like card boosters? Because if you can then they're ahead of PSN (can't change name), and XBox (£10 to change).

fr0st

Banned
guys need help here

I recently got a laptop but only with a 128gb ssd not knowing that I need to order other parts if I wanted to install a HDD

so anyways I have a 1tb external drive and was wondering why I need to verify game files every time I want to play a game located in the external drive.

Do I have to keep the external drive plugged in and never completely shut down my laptop?

or is there something else that I can do

Now that it's official that PC version will be getting PS4/XB1 graphics, I'm thinking of picking up PES 2018.

How fast do the previous games usually get on sale? Winter sale?

What's better about crafting a foil badge instead of a regular one? They give the same exp, is it just the bragging rights?
Yeah, I mean, if that's the thing you want to brag about. Just a preference of design and that you can have one of those alongside the regular badge. Rare for the sake of having something to be rare.

Parsnip

But it's only the overlay, for now

Gawd, it's stupid how excited I am for the upcoming client.
Not like I actually use the client in any meaningful way, I doubt any amount of overhaul is going to change that.

I guess I just love new shiny things.

Monooboe

Yeah, I mean, if that's the thing you want to brag about. Just a preference of design and that you can have one of those alongside the regular badge. Rare for the sake of having something to be rare.

Mm got a foil that has a real low value, so thought I might go for the foil badge, but think I'll just turn it into 30 gems.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
guys need help here

I recently got a laptop but only with a 128gb ssd not knowing that I need to order other parts if I wanted to install a HDD

so anyways I have a 1tb external drive and was wondering why I need to verify game files every time I want to play a game located in the external drive.

Do I have to keep the external drive plugged in and never completely shut down my laptop?

or is there something else that I can do

It sounds like the data becomes corrupted whenever the drive loses power. There's no technical reason inherent to Steam as to why you would need to reverify the data each and every time. If the games still show as installed when the external drive is active and you restart Steam, then the client can still detect the app manifest files located in the library folder, but if nothing launches until you've redownloaded data, that points to a data integrity issue.

Hektor

Sorry cuck, serve, delicious but you gotta wait.

Today's the day Lizardgurl and Skellingtonboi are gonna wreck shit in Disk: Operating System 2

zkylon

zkylewd
W3066sw.png

so with saoirse getting a faceful of ded thanks to whale chrysalids, yesterday i decided to revive her as saoirse mkII

these mechs feel really overpowered, my whole crew does at the moment, with most of my soldiers being max level already, but i'm not complaining, i wanted a smooth sailing run and that's fun for me atm

what's weird is this whole genetics thing. heck, the robot thing too. i mean, i know the aliens are evil cos they turn people into zombies, but i just gave my medic an extra heart and IDK HOW I FEEL ABOUT THAT. it's certainly a bit disturbing, i thought that torturing aliens in the main game was a bit rotten but literally altering ur soldiers' genes feels a bit much

who are the real monsters i ask

Uzzy

Sorry cuck, serve, delicious but you gotta wait.

White nationalism is infecting the food industry now?

what's weird is this whole genetics thing. heck, the robot thing too. i mean, i know the aliens are evil cos they turn people into zombies, but i just gave my medic an extra heart and IDK HOW I FEEL ABOUT THAT. it's certainly a bit disturbing, i thought that torturing aliens in the main game was a bit rotten but literally altering ur soldiers' genes feels a bit much

who are the real monsters i ask

My boy Nietzsche had some thoughts on that.

rickyson1

I won the first Cook Serve Delicious in a Gaf giveaway. I love the gameplay, it's really fun, but I suck so much at management that I get stressed choosing the menu and what to buy next ^_^

the new one in addition to the whole managing your own restaurant and menu thing also has a new "chef for hire" mode where you go to dozens of different restaurants and play through levels in them with preset menus

sounds like the kind of thing that would make the new one click with you more maybe

Nzyme32

Welp, at least it's a step in the right direction.

Maybe we won't see proper DPI scaling until the new client overhaul.

That sounds about right - or at least is the wishful thinking you have for all the things I want to see change in the Steam client. At least we know someone there is aware of it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom