• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sale 2017 |OT| The Weather's Hot and the Deals are Not

Status
Not open for further replies.

autoduelist

Invisible Inc?

Not really mathy, more evasion than combat, but the on the fly thinking the game demands makes it a beaut.

Thanks for the suggestions! I've actually played both. Absolutely love XCOM. Invisible, not so much but I thought I'd have loved it so it's a great suggestion.

Graphics and such don't matter to me, so anything 'smaller' is fine too. Like, I love Desktop Dungeons... and on the TD front I recently loved Dungeon Warfare. I like roguelikes (tome, nethack, ss, etc) and drpgs.

Just stuck for something new to get. I wish there was a good gladiator school game or something. Or... a fantasy xcom. I don't know.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks for the suggestions! I've actually played both. Absolutely love XCOM. Invisible, not so much but I thought I'd have loved it so it's a great suggestion.

Graphics and such don't matter to me, so anything 'smaller' is fine too. Like, I love Desktop Dungeons... and on the TD front I recently loved Dungeon Warfare. I like roguelikes (tome, nethack, ss, etc) and drpgs.

Just stuck for something new to get.

Battle Brothers then? I've only heard great things about it. Not that cheap atm tho.

So far I have bought SOMA and Hollow Knight, so I've only spent like $18 from my $30 budget. I all ready have so many games so I'm trying to limit myself. :p Anybody got any recommendations?

It's one my my favourite games, but even I recognize it's not amazing.

Do you want to play Gears of War in Mordor, except you play as a sexy barely clad Elven archer? with potential coop with a partner who plays a melee dude? secret areas, a loot system, skills, spells, combat that gets real tricky later, boss battles?

Then you'll be fine.

Online co-op?

nbraun80

Just stuck for something new to get. I wish there was a good gladiator school game or something. Or... a fantasy xcom. I don't know.

Darkest Dungeon maybe?

So I'm about to buy Pathologic Classic HD. Regional pricing but does anyone have a story-heavy or atmospheric game (genre doesn't matter otherwise) they would recommend over Pathologic around that price (regional pricing, but you can add 20 cents to its price probably)?

Lanrutcon

So far I have bought SOMA and Hollow Knight, so I've only spent like $18 from my $30 budget. I all ready have so many games so I'm trying to limit myself. :p Anybody got any recommendations?

Online co-op?

LAN. I believe you can online with Tunngle and the like. It had online coop, but I'm pretty sure that was discontinued (Gamespy?).

Tizoc

Is Watch Dogs 2 worth the price? was kinda hoping it would get discounted more tbh

I've heard lots of positive impressions from it, esp. being better than the first. If it isn't worth $30 for you atm, skip it and get it in a future sale.

Consider getting Sleeping Dogs though if you don't have it :X

Okay, this may have nothing to do with the Summer Sale, but for some reason it seems that my Activity tab shows monthly activities instead of daily. It makes my friends look like achievement hunting maniacs:

6jcAb67.jpg

Is there a setting option to fix this?

Lain

Just made a purchase on Steam but I got an error about my card being refused while at the same time the items I purchased showing in my activity feed, receiving the thank you for your purchase email from Valve, the money being taken from my card and the stuff I bought still being in my cart. Also I only got 7 cards for 158€ of stuff.
This sale is a clusterfuck.

finley83

Banned
Ehhhhhh... From all the looking I did this is all I bought.

Steam sales have been kind of underwhelming for years and this one has been no exception, more so after seeing the "meh" discounts on my wishlist which admittedly isn't very big. Broke 300 with this so still yay for games I'll probably never get around to playing.

Did stop myself from buying Fallout 4 though. I never got around to finishing three and never even started New Vegas. >_<

New Vegas is a million times better than 3 and a true sequel to Fallout 2, don't hold off playing it!

Hektor

If you are interested in turn based strategy with a lot of Role playing elements I'd suggest expeditions Conquistador and expedition Vikings.

The closest we have to a fantasy xcom I can think of is massive chalice, but that's not exactly a game I want to recommend as I found it to be incredibly dull. But you might want to check it out nonetheless

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Hunted is shit but the good kind of shit. Its janky fun, for that price its well worth it.

owasog

Is the 'Search the Store' box broken? It doesn't work anymore for me since yesterday. It's impossible to check out games from my Discovery queue this way.

Tizoc

Is the 'Search the Store' box broken? It doesn't work anymore for me since yesterday. It's impossible to check out games from my Discovery queue this way.

Search box works fine for me in browser: Just erase all text in the box and enter your search criteria.

is Guardians of the Galaxy any good? I don't remember seeing any talk about it.

It's a telltale game, wait for it to be sub $10 before buying it.

Though yeah I hadn't heard much talk about it like most other telltale games :X
If Batman Telltale is cheaper get that instead.

maybe they are?

mine seems to be fine

But I know they played Sky the 3rd a month ago. Not to mention getting that many achievements in one day is physically impossible. It's not only achievements, either. Their buying history from completely different dates are also coupled together in my activity feed.

It only happens in mine, though, and not theirs. That's why I'm worried if I inadvertently altered some settings or something.

Arthea

it works, just in an odd way, if you go like this: in the search window press ctr-A, then type the game name, full, no typos.

At least that's how it works for me

Alastor3

There's only 1 episode out so it's still hard to see

Search box works fine for me in browser: Just erase all text in the box and enter your search criteria.

It's a telltale game, wait for it to be sub $10 before buying it.

Though yeah I hadn't heard much talk about it like most other telltale games :X
If Batman Telltale is cheaper get that instead.

This this guy is right, just wait for a couple of months/a year till the game drop. i've seen the new batman at 12$ already.

I've only played the Demo, but from what I've seen, it has a lot of jokes and most don't land at all. The set-ups are there and the script may have potential, but the delivery and comedic timing is really bad.

Durante

As always, I'll vouch for Xanadu Next, a chronically overlooked and underrated dungeon-crawler from the same developer which brought us the Ys and Trails games. Feel free to get more details in the OT.
Seconding this, so much. If you like Falcom's other games (particularly Ys), Metroidvania-like connected worlds (in this case, I'd compare it to Dark Souls 1 or Vagrant Story), action CRPGs like Nox, or non-traditional storytelling (a major element of the story is finding writings from the past and trying to understand their relevance), I'd strongly suggest giving it a look.
I'll third this.

If you can deal with the admittedly dated graphics Xanadu Next is a treat.

Ok guys, out of the following Musou, which should I get:

Dragon Quest Heroes 1
Dragon Quest Heroes 2
Arslan
One Piece Pirate Warriors 3
Berserk Band of the Hawk
only played them on PS4 so I can't comment on the port qualitaty. But both One Piece 3 and Berserk are amazing musou-games. Pick whatever anime/setting you like more.

Dragon Quest Heroes 1+2 are also great with more RPG elements.

Arslan is boring. Don't buy this.

Rock, Paper, Shotgun's recommendation list and descriptions made me chuckle. :)

RPS said:
Torment: Tides of Numenera for £17.49/$22.49 &#8211; A sad man falls out of the sky and must read 2 million words to discover why

Dead Cells for £11.89/$14.44 &#8211; A group of green cellular organisms gang up to seize the means of production

Football Manager 2017 for £11.89/$16.99 &#8211; Twenty-two grown men vie for the attention of a beautiful ball but discover the real beauty was in earning large sums of money all along

Transistor for £2.24/$2.99 &#8211; A talking sword and a mute woman form a special bond when they discover they both enjoy murdering

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor for £3.19/$3.99 &#8211; A ranger whose family is killed by orcs rediscovers love when he meets 12,000 other orcs

The Witcher III: Game of the Year Edition for £17.49/$24.99 &#8211; A geriatric hunter goes on one last shagging cruise but is disappointed to find himself shipwrecked in Northern Ireland

The Long Dark for £10.79/$13.99 &#8211; A pack of noble wolves become annoyed when a nearby human starts complaining about the weather

More here: https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/06/22/steam-summer-sale-our-giant-recommendations-list/

Edit: Missed the best one.

RPS said:
Wolfenstein: The New Order for £7.49/$9.99 &#8211; A comatose soldier wakes up in a panic, but is quickly reassured by a nearby doctor, who tells him everything is alt right

If anyone is on the fence with Watch Dogs 2 (like I was) and have Watch Dogs in his steam account, you can get it slightly cheaper if you buy the bundle (i.e. here 26€)

It's one my my favourite games, but even I recognize it's not amazing.

Do you want to play Gears of War in Mordor, except you play as a sexy barely clad Elven archer? with potential coop with a partner who plays a melee dude? secret areas, a loot system, skills, spells, combat that gets real tricky later, boss battles?

Then you'll be fine.

Base price is $20, sale price is $5 in my region (South Africa). Eh Besthesda.

Is it possible to buy games with a VPN and not get banned? Castlevania LoS Ultimate isn't available in my region. LoS 2 is, for some reason. How would I go about buying a game that isn't available in my region?

Wok

I have spied a bit on my Steam contacts, and added a bunch of stuff to my wishlist.

Regarding bundles, Disney Infinity is cheaper in the bundle which includes all 3 versions:

yPITqnp.png

Valley is even cheaper in the Complete-the-bundle offer:

jb4Otwl.png

And sadly, I missed the price mistake on World to the West bundle, it was 10 &#8364; instead of 15 &#8364;, and it has been fixed now:

kuBL1un.png

Ashtrax

Just refunded three games I picked up a couple of days ago so I can repurchase them at a discount!

Looking at Beserk and Attack on Titan as my higher priced titles at the moment. Will pick up all the deep discounted ones on my wishlist too.

Tizoc

Just refunded three games I picked up a couple of days ago so I can repurchase them at a discount!

Looking at Beserk and Attack on Titan as my higher priced titles at the moment. Will pick up all the deep discounted ones on my wishlist too.

Grab attack on titans but don't get Berserk, the port is very wonky.

I have spied a bit on my Steam contacts, and added a bunch of stuff to my wishlist.

Regarding bundles, Disney Infinity is cheaper in the bundle which includes all 3 versions:

yPITqnp.png

Valley is even cheaper in the Complete-the-bundle offer:

jb4Otwl.png

And sadly, I missed the price mistake on World to the West bundle, it was 10 &#8364; instead of 15 &#8364;, and it has been fixed now:

kuBL1un.png

remind me if Getting Infinity 1 and 2 unlocks more stuff in 3?

Yeah, I'm leaning towards Xanadu just to support those wonderful people at XSeed, I know FF is anime as hell but the gameplay does seem interesting.

Let me just say that...fairy fencer'd be cheaper in coming months ;)
Consider grabbing Trillion though.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Ill ask again, wasnt Infinity dead? Isnt it a online only game?

Can get Just Cause 3 for 7.5€ with the sale and my Steam Wallet Funds from cards. Feels like that's probably the kind of price where I can deal with Denuvo.

BraXzy

I swear there was a bunch of info Valve released publicly/to devs that did a breakdown of the sales and why flash sales made no sense because sales figures improved. Anyone got a link? Or am I imagining things?

Ascheroth

As always, I'll vouch for Xanadu Next, a chronically overlooked and underrated dungeon-crawler from the same developer which brought us the Ys and Trails games. Feel free to get more details in the OT.

Seconding this, so much. If you like Falcom's other games (particularly Ys), Metroidvania-like connected worlds (in this case, I'd compare it to Dark Souls 1 or Vagrant Story), action CRPGs like Nox, or non-traditional storytelling (a major element of the story is finding writings from the past and trying to understand their relevance), I'd strongly suggest giving it a look.

I'll third this.

If you can deal with the admittedly dated graphics Xanadu Next is a treat.
I'll fourth it : P
Xanadu Next is fantastic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom