• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steamspy Data - No Man's Sky active players down over 90% in just 2 weeks

mikeyvids

Neo Member
they have a huge financial success on their hands, don't they? maybe the game got panned, but everybody was on the careening-out-of-control hypetrain and bought it first.

They got the game out of the door, that is a feat for any developer. And yes it is a financial success. It introduces some interesting concepts. I haven't played the game so I can't give my personal opinion other than what I've gleaned from reviews of others contrasted to my play style.

Out of the box I can see myself enjoying this much like I enjoyed Endless Ocean on Wii, an escape with some objectives. If they patch it with more of a gamification in collecting resources, add online features and iron out some idiosyncrasies reviewers had with the game I may bite. I love the art style of this game. I want to make sure when I first play it there is enough to keep me coming back and want to get lost in the game universe.

Never have I regretted a digital purchase more than this game. And I didn't even preorder. I waited for reviews, didn't even buy it until a week after it was out. The reviews convinced me that I'd like it, if I enjoyed a "certain kind of game."

Well I don't. I dislike it. And now I own all $60 of it, forever. I know it's my own stupid fault.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
I'm sure he could probably retire young now, but he'll probably make more games...

Do people seriously believe this? That good-but-not-phenomenal sales of one game would be enough for someone to close up his 14+ person company and retire on forever? The utter lack of knowledge regarding finance and how much profit these companies actually make from sales is astounding at times.

legend166

So what ended up being in the centre of the galaxy?

Also, I do wonder if the video game enthusiast culture is ever going to reach a tipping point where they stop believing every word that comes out of marketers mouths and bring a heathy dose of cynicism into the hype train. It seems to almost reach deranged levels these days.

I don't get it - what's the danger in being skeptical? The game actually ends up being great and you're pleasantly surprised? Oh no!

I thought buying into marketing hype was the domain of the 'casual' set, but enthusiast communities actually seem more easily hoodwinked. If you're one of these people, and you know who you are, it's pretty embarrassing to be honest.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
So what ended up being in the centre of the galaxy?

Absolutely nothing. It shows you flying into a light and then you wake up crashed on a new planet far from the center of a new galaxy. You have all your gear, but have to gather materials to repair it all.

So basically no ending and into a new game plus with nothing new other than Galaxy name.

legend166

That's actually worse than what was in the middle of the cube.

I'm actually impressed that it's so bad. They had the nerve to actually market a watered down New Game+ as some great secret to unlock?

A link to the refund page on Steam should have been at the centre of the universe.

Fbh

Why wasn't there more sobriety when this game was in the preview stages?

Anytime posters would say they didn't get the concept and that the gameplay wasn't really clear, they were derided.

Yep, for some reason this game was defended like no other before release.
Anyone who dared to ask what you actually do in the game was soon met with tons of defensive an often quite aggressive replies.

Well the game is out now and it seems like "not much, really" was the answer all along .
At least going through those old threads is hilarious now . Some people had some absolutely crazy expectations about this game and I still don't know why

Woodchipper

Seeing all these interviews with Sean, it is very upsetting how I lies about pretty much every selling point of the game, and yet people like Colin Moriarty keeps saying he's a good guy and that at least he's trying. I like Colin, but I have no idea why he's defending Sean.

Sorry for going slightly off-topic, but charging 60 bucks for an unfinished game that is not even close to what it was to supposed to be is a huge rip-off, and it has made me quite angry.

8pTSVjV.gif

RoKKeR

Not surprised in the slightest. Angry Joe's review was damning... Not sure I could sink more than a few hours into such am empty game.

mike6467

The answer I got when I first started asking (and I was legitimately getting excited about the game, like a month before release) was that the secrets were so special and so prevalent that you'd want to see them for yourself, and Sean was just trying to preserve the experience for the fans: "Sean hid a lot in this game, and the mystery is such a huge part of it! He doesn't want to spoil it! Just go in and experience it all, you'll thank me later!"

Sean's ambiguity all that time, and even the tweet when leaked copies started showing up basically reinforced that. He played into the mystery angle again and again. Then in the end the only secret was that the game wasn't done, or good, and they wanted your money anyways.

NoKisum

Wasn't there some big article posted on GAF a couple years back or so that talks about how only around 10% of consumers play and finish single player games? This sounds right in line with said article.

Of all the games I purchased in the past 3 years, The Division and No Man's Sky are my biggest regret.

However No Man's Sky is totally boring after 5-7 hours, you get to see everything there is in that time, for a game with no multiplayer and charging $60 for it is ludicrous.

Many were deceived with their promises,I learned my lesson after this game....I still don't even know why I bought it as I always wait for user impressions and rarely buy a game in the first week or 2.

Never again, I'm happy for the people enjoying it however I don't feel happy for Hello Games success as it was achieved with lies and deception in my mind, at least I know Sean is not to be trusted.

Woodchipper

Of all the games I purchased in the past 3 years, The Division and No Man's Sky are my biggest regret.

However No Man's Sky is totally boring after 5-7 hours, you get to see everything there is in that time, for a game with no multiplayer and charging $60 for it is ludicrous.

Many were deceived with their promises,I learned my lesson after this game....I still don't even know why I bought it as I always wait for user impressions and rarely buy a game in the first week or 2.

Never again, I'm happy for the people enjoying it however I don't feel happy for Hello Games success as it was achieved with lies and deception in my mind, at least I know Sean is not to be trusted.
Exactly how I feel, except I actually enjoyed playing The Division for quite long.

Now tell me how this compares to other single player games.

Yep^^^

This was my initial thought. NMS is a singleplayer game. I rarely ever play a game twice. I am enjoying the game about 15hrs in, but I know at this point, once I am done I will not be playing it again until a few patches later.

antonz

$60 on PC is hilarious considering what the game is.

$20 Early Access is about the best the game should have been hyped as.

oneils

There have literally only been two occasions in which I felt robbed for spending my money and regretted a game purchase thoroughly.

This was one of those games. Tried the Steam refund for the first time ever on my account and they told me to go fuck myself.

I want my money back, Sean.

How many hours did you put in to the game? If it was more than two you might have got a refund if you explained that you were having performance issues.

Deadbeat

Banned
Yep, for some reason this game was defended like no other before release.
Anyone who dared to ask what you actually do in the game was soon met with tons of defensive an often quite aggressive replies.

Well the game is out now and it seems like "not much, really" was the answer all along .
At least going through those old threads is hilarious now . Some people had some absolutely crazy expectations about this game and I still don't know why
Platform exclusive + spaceship game. Each one causes the crazies to come out of the woodwork, but having both together? Watch out.

Akronis

There a tons of ship upgrades to work towards plus a much longer upgrade path to weapons and shit. There always something to work on in Elite until you've played a very long time.

MMS upgrades are very surface level inventory upgrades. There's no a reason to go back down the tree unlike Elite.

Plus the true multiplayer.

Elite had it's fair share of weird multiplayer stuff. The game didn't even launch with a grouping system and barely fits the definition of MMO.

Aselith

Elite had it's fair share of weird multiplayer stuff. The game didn't even launch with a grouping system and barely fits the definition of MMO.

I'm not sure what that changes. Multiplayer interactions still extend the lifespan of a game and make it generally more engaging.

This thread is weird , in my eyes.

I don't play NMS anymore because i'm done with the game , got my platinium and waiting for an update to resume playing.

Not every player stopped playing because they hated it.

Daouzin

Sorry, "most" people don't play any game 30-40 hours, particularly not in the first two weeks.

Yeah....

That's why I would consider it a success.
haha

This thread is weird , in my eyes.

I don't play NMS anymore because i'm done with the game , got my platinium and waiting for an update to resume playing.

Not every player stopped playing because they hated it.

Nailed it.

This, this is exactly what I was trying to say, just more to the point.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
The answer I got when I first started asking (and I was legitimately getting excited about the game, like a month before release) was that the secrets were so special and so prevalent that you'd want to see them for yourself, and Sean was just trying to preserve the experience for the fans: "Sean hid a lot in this game, and the mystery is such a huge part of it! He doesn't want to spoil it! Just go in and experience it all, you'll thank me later!"

Sean's ambiguity all that time, and even the tweet when leaked copies started showing up basically reinforced that. He played into the mystery angle again and again. Then in the end the only secret was that the game wasn't done, or good, and they wanted your money anyways.
Yeah, I remember his tweets about this "Don't spoil it for anyone, weve put a heap of easter eggs in!*" There's so much to discover!

*Completely untrue but we'll sell it that way anyway

spliced

This game had the most predictable release ever, it looked really boring and I thought it would be endlessly delayed. It is really boring and they were able to reduce the number of delays by just releasing it unfinished.

Dysun

This game had the most predictable release ever, it looked really boring and I thought it would be endlessly delayed. It is really boring and they were able to reduce the number of delays by just releasing it unfinished.

Pretty much. Not sure how it caught lightning in a bottle the way it did, but I could see it coming a thousand miles away

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member

I'm glad that Steam refunds are a thing now. Asked for one after 80 minutes or so, because I wasn't having any fun. I decided to preorder the game and pay $60 due to being able to refund it if I didn't like the game, which is what ended up happening.

legend166

I do have to laugh at all the people saying "Well duh, it's a single player game!"

This game was marketed as one which had practically infinite possibilities. 18 quadrillion planets! Neverending fun! Entire galaxies to explore!

Kade

Yeah, I thought the pricing was absolutely crazy when it was announced. A precedent has been set for pricing of a game like this on the platform where they are most abundant. I expected a lot out of this game just based on the fact that they were charging double or triple what is standard for the genre and it ended up being as shallow as most first build Early Access games. Shame because thematically it's actually really cool.

Banned
That's actually worse than what was in the middle of the cube.

I'm actually impressed that it's so bad. They had the nerve to actually market a watered down New Game+ as some great secret to unlock?

A link to the refund page on Steam should have been at the centre of the universe.
Fucking savage. Hahahahaha.

Top Bottom