• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steamspy Data - No Man's Sky active players down over 90% in just 2 weeks

I am glad I was able to have Sony honor my refund request.

I never had expectations as high as some people as I had a feeling Hello Games was overreaching with their goals a bit considering the schedule, and I actually think the game came together better than I expected!

However, it really is just a chore to play. The only tension in the gameplay loop is 'shoot space rocks constantly' thanks to the boring ass flight model and the lack of any real NPC interaction.

The game definitely has some good parts and can be fun at times, but I really think they should have spent more time making the core mechanics feel better.

I personally think they should have dumped the stupid space rocks resource grind as the main gameplay loop and instead have offered a more detailed flight model as an option. Anyone who wanted to enjoy it as a 'survival' game could have played that way, with the main goal being not to crash/damage your ship. The resource grind could have been implemented there if you actually managed to total your ship and get stranded. It would have just been a punishment for bad piloting/decision making instead of a constant unending grind.

In a way Elite Dangerous already does this pretty well, as you really are on your own for the most part if you go exploring past the 'civilization bubble'. That sort of tension could have worked in this game as well, but instead you are basically flying a glorified elevator.

I may pick the game up again on PC if updates/mods look promising, but for now I can thank it for at least rekindling my interest in Elite Dangerous! ^^

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
PCGamer looked into this and said it was pretty much SOP for most games in terms of drop off: -

http://www.pcgamer.com/concurrent-players-no-mans-sky/

With DX:MD out now, it's also fair to say that a lot of people will be playing that because it's fresh. I dare say a lot of people will not pick up NMS again where they left of, but then it's one of those titles that you can drift in and out of.

I'm kind of seeing it as the ideal podcast game myself. Tune into the bombcast and explore a few planets.

Spot on.

I've been playing less since shock, MD released. I'm definitely going to go back though. It's an amazing game.

This never would have happened if players could have seen each other, if giant sandsnakes had been everywhere, and there had been no skyboxes.

/s

They should have stayed as a small indie game and iterated over time

Had this launched as a 20-30 follar game with iterations over time (like so many other games in its genre) im sure it would have fared much better

I get how they were tempted by Sony to take the marketing and retail support and it seemed to pay off in sales but whatever benefit they have seen from the decisions is already eroding long term prospects...

Unless they can iterate fast enough

They are far away from the 600+ crew that Bungie has though

Can they turn it around?

kswiston

Is it? I don't often look at these numbers in detail, but e.g. Dark Souls 3 only dropped by ~40% in its entire first month.

Edit: it seems DS3 is the exception there, 40% in a month is really low. XCOM2 dropped by 50% in two weeks. Not quite 90%, but a lot closer.

Isnt No Mans Sky single player? I dont think that X-Com would be the best comparison. 90% is probably high, but most single player games drop off pretty fast.

I doubt there will be DLC released for this game in order to make the game half way decent. Pretty soon there will be no man in the sky and nobody to sell it to.

This will be a hit and run job and Hello Games (and Sony) will try and brush it under the carpet as soon as possible.

SpaceWolf

Banned
I really wonder what's running through Sean Murray's head right now.

Is he happy with how well the game has sold? Or is he depressed to see how much flak Hello Games is getting for it? Like, I wonder what matters to him more.

Muzicfreq

Banned
I doubt it's much more different on PS4.
You would be surprised

PC gamers are very particular on types of games and if said game to them has issues they usually move along to the next game.

I have seen games on consoles have better playerbase than pc. Most people are willing to play whatever on there vs PC where I seen people game hope every week to the next best thing or whatever their favorite popular media outlet are currently playing.

I used to be part of this till I realized I just wasn't having fun game hopping all the time

kswiston

Also, you guys saying that $20 would have been better are crazy. The steam version has sold around 775k copies already. It's not like the price is holding the game back. I highly doubt that they would have pushed 3x as many $20 copies given what most games sell on Steam.

Devs can worry about blowback later. Good post launch support will lessen that.

This thread is weird , in my eyes.

I don't play NMS anymore because i'm done with the game , got my platinium and waiting for an update to resume playing.

Not every player stopped playing because they hated it.

Oh but I thought it was a limitless game with infinite possibilities?

Someone even argued that it'll takes weeks to review it. The hype and defense surrounding this game was like no other.

(My post isn't directed at you, more directed at how the game was presented by Hello Games and fans alike)

You would be surprised

PC gamers are very particular on types of games and if said game to them has issues they usually move along to the next game.

I have seen games on consoles have better playerbase than pc. Most people are willing to play whatever on there vs PC where I seen people game hope every week to the next best thing or whatever their favorite popular media outlet are currently playing.

I used to be part of this till I realized I just wasn't having fun game hopping all the time

If anything, PC gamers are more prone to play sandbox open world survival/crafting games than console gamers.

Someone even argued that it'll takes weeks to review it. The hype and defense surrounding this game was like no other.

(My post isn't directed at you, more directed at how the game was presented by Hello Games and fans alike)

Oh geez

Didnt all the threads preceding NMS bring people back to earth WAY in advance? There were plenty of gameplay videos and long discussions about the limits of procedural generation.

What surprised me the most was the move to push this game as a 60 dollar retail game. Otherwise they mostly delivered the advertised experience based on what I was expecting

Not saying that makes it a good or bad game but they clearly have a long path to go to make it any where near as compelling as the games that preceded it

That said shit like Minecraft iterated on themselves for years and years

Senoculum

I absolutely knew the price was going to be a huge factor -- people are still bringing it up! I remember our conversations months ago and people were defending a (then, theoretical) full price tag.

I bought the game day one and I'm really enjoying it. I think the sound design is stellar, the lore is well written (classic sci-fi vibes), and often the visuals are just breathtaking.

I still hate I had to pay 80 CAD, though.

Handy Fake

No worries. Numbers will get much better once they develop the majority of the game.

You may be being glib, but you're probably right. :D
Hello Games don;t seem the types to rest on their laurels if there's a backlash. There's a Hell of a base to build on at the minute.

Mastperf

Also, you guys saying that $20 would have been better are crazy. The steam version has sold around 775k copies already. It's not like the price is holding the game back. I highly doubt that they would have pushed 3x as many $20 copies given what most games sell on Steam.

Devs can worry about blowback later. Good post launch support will lessen that.
I think they're looking at it from a consumer perspective. They've sold the majority of copies based on multiple things that ended up not being in the game. They've achieved financial success but at what cost? There's a dark cloud lingering over the studio and their future projects. They wouldn't have made nearly as much in the short term, but they probably wouldn't have nearly as much backlash either. I'd hate to see this sink the studio but it is always a possibility.

kswiston

No worries. Numbers will get much better once they develop the majority of the game.

The numbers are already great. IIRC they are past 2M copies on PS4/PC (including both retail and digital).

RUST has about 4M sales on Steam, and it is among the most popular games in the sandbox/survival genre. It also sells for a third the price of No Man's Sky.

We are talking about a developer with the staff of a Japanese team making ultra-niche JRPGs for an audience of 100k people. I think they will make do with over $100M in revenue.

akileese

Games without extremely heavy MP components (and even those sometimes) tend to have really heavy drop offs. This is especially true during this time of year when big games come one after another.

mario_O

No surprise. It's not that the game lacks more things to do, it's that the promise of these algorithms creating an interesting and varied galaxy to explore is not true, or not enough for a good game. It's an interesting tech demo disguised as a game. Needs a lot more work.

Mexen

My friends are in one of two camps- absolutely love it and have had a great time exploring and shit; and number 2 group - disappointed in Murray's marketing and the hype that let them down.

Personally, I get what NMS tries to achieve and that's great but the team was better off having even 20 unique planets with everything that was promised. Maybe within those 20 standard template worlds, what would have been procedurally generated would be the unique set of ecosystems in each world.

Here is what I mean. World A is by default a desert planet while world B is by default full of water, right? Each world has a set of assets unique to them. I am not talking about slapping leg asset b234 or body asset f445 because that's how you end up with an elephant thing with wings awkwardly trying to fly.

No, have complete assets but randomize them per visit. You could then procedurally generate terrain from a set of assets that already exist or something but with respect to the unique world that you are in. Game would easily be 40+ gig but even if random, the worlds would have been individually crafted from an asset point of view.

So maybe when I am in world A, I get mountains and desert gorillas... you get quick sand and flying avocados.

Trying to create entire worlds and ecosystems on the go, although possible, is messy stuff. Sure, there have been glorious encounters but trust me, when it's ugly, it's ugly. At least from the screenshots my friend sent to me.

30 hours in and I fell off. You could say I got value for money if you want to do that weird equation thingy some people do but I left disappointed in the end. I feel they spent so much time on the tech and forgot the game part.

DrBo42

30 hours in and I fell off. You could say I got value for money if you want to do that weird equation thingy some people do but I left disappointed in the end. I feel they spent so much time on the tech and forgot the game part.

Feel pretty much the same.

RPGCrazied

It would have helped if the game had a story. And that ending? I watched it on youtube, is that really what they call a game ending?

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
Nope, not a word, which only makes things worse

I reckon more words would be like pouring petrol onto flames. Need to let those flames die down. Just look at the twitter response lots of unhappy gamers venting.

If l were Hello Games i'd keep my trap shut, continue polishing the game and releasing patches as quickly as possible. I'd also hurry up any new gameplay features.

Even from a tech perspective it also fails very hard. From a game that supposed to offer infinite varieties of planets, I feel like I've seen everything on the 3rd planet or so. Giant mushroom-looking plants, spiky-rock caves, illuminating flowers etc. Everywhere just looks the same.

Not surprising. Randomly generated everything and quantity over quality just isn't a good premise for compelling gameplay.

I'm honestly surprised that so many people were hotly anticipating this game over the years.

Everyone jumped down people's throats when they said "but what do you do in NMS?" It turns out, we weren't wrong to ask that question.

There's not much there.

Exactly what I was thinking. I knew this game was being overhyped and I planned from the beginning to wait for a $5 steam sale. Now I wonder if I am willing to even waste my time on it.

Megatron

This seems like the norm for pc. Outside of a few outlier titles like dota and lol, most pc gamers seem to have the attention span of a fruit fly. Maybe because they have more games to play than console gamers, I dont know.

Lothars

They seem to be throwing themselves back into bugfixing and development

Which is the right call. Worked for Destiny
With both games, the hate both games got was mostly undeserved and overblown. Some of it is deserved but the vast majority of it is not as i've seen.

It really shows the stupidity of some people.

The delusion of people against the game is just as bad.

They should have stayed as a small indie game and iterated over time

Had this launched as a 20-30 follar game with iterations over time (like so many other games in its genre) im sure it would have fared much better

I get how they were tempted by Sony to take the marketing and retail support and it seemed to pay off in sales but whatever benefit they have seen from the decisions is already eroding long term prospects...

Unless they can iterate fast enough

They are far away from the 600+ crew that Bungie has though

Can they turn it around?

Destiny was a fun game at it's core unlike NMS which is simply not fun to play. No amount of additional yet most likely meaningless content will save the game IMO... especially not with such a small team working on it.

DoomGaze

Banned
With both games, the hate both games got was mostly undeserved and overblown. Some of it is deserved but the vast majority of it is not as i've seen.

It really shows the stupidity of some people.

The delusion of people against the game is just as bad.

Undeserved hate absolutely. But the games were hyped unbelievably, when something disappoints with this kind of magnitude people are going to overreact.

Top Bottom