• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steamspy Data - No Man's Sky active players down over 90% in just 2 weeks

Seiniyta

Despite less players playing the game daily. It's still beating out Deux ex on the steam top selling list.
Deux ex was ahead for a day or two at launch but has all but disappeared off the top selling list.

Genuinely surprised by that it's still seling decently despite the user reviews, despite the controversies.

DR2K

Banned
Once you've played the first mission you've played the entire game. Now you're just picking your favorite color rocks and skies. Feel bad for people that took a loss on this, I somehow managed to get a full refund on PSN of all places.

Despite less players playing the game daily. It's still beating out Deux ex on the steam top selling list.
Deux ex was ahead for a day or two at launch but has all but disappeared off the top selling list.

Genuinely surprised by that it's still seling decently despite the user reviews, despite the controversies.

Steamspy says on 26/8 Deus Ex ownership increased in 32,885 units, and NMS increased in 4,045 units, both at full price.

edit: in fact I see this in the steam page??
GVf0VHD.png

Seiniyta

Steamspy says on 26/8 Deus Ex ownership increased in 32,885 units, and NMS increased in 4,045 units, both at full price.

edit: in fact I see this in the steam page??
GVf0VHD.png

Huh, you're right. Yesterday it still had NMS ahead of Deux ex, with Deux ex not even being in the top 10. Weird.

I would have been fine with the bare bones gameplay mechanics, it was the idea of exploring that appealed to me. In the build up to this game I was less concerned with "what do you do in this game?" because I thought some planets would be interesting and yield unique secrets and landscapes, and that would have been enough. Sadly, the planets are so uninteresting, there are no interesting discoveries to be made, the creatures and plant life incredibly samey and boring and the structures are the same on every planet.

I'm not a huge fan of Minecraft, but I had a bigger and more satisfying sense of exploration digging one mine in that game than I ever did in this and it's millions of planets.

I agree with one of the comments in this thread. It's like a 2000 page book, but with only one word on each page.

OuterLimits

I think mods could save it some on PC, and certainly keep a dedicated albeit small core of fans enjoying it for a good amount of time.

Unfortunately the PS4 version will likely die a quick death unless Sean and Hello Games actually follows through with their promise of supporting the game. If they do put in some decent content, they could certainly get players back I think.

Nah, base building is coming. Hello Games wouldn't go back on a promise.

Everybody will have the exact same base and layout, with a cut-out-and-keep Korvax that they can place anywhere in the base (as long as it's behind a desk or table).

I remember the thread at release about the letter Sean sent to reviewers when they got a copy. I remember at the time it seemed like a humble guy just writing a brief letter about making the game, and his fears that it was overhyped some by him and gamers.

Now even that seems like it was a calculated move on his part. I hate being cynical, but his many conflicting statements even at release, followed by complete silence now certainly doesn't look good.

Yeah, can't see it as anything else other than a cynical 'please don't pull back the curtain!' move.

I've got a friend who took this photo in his local CEX

xzB722Y.jpg

(and yes they're all the same game hiding behind the front ones he confirmed)

IRONY

I've got a friend who took this photo in his local CEX

xzB722Y.jpg

(and yes they're all the same game hiding behind the front ones he confirmed)

Music to my ears...

I'm glad I waited. If a new copy of the critically acclaimed Doom is already $20 then I hope a used copy of NMS will be under $10 by the time the holidays roll around.

No joke, there was a time when I was seriously pissed off that I missed out on getting that $80 steel case limited edition version of NMS from Best Buy. Damn, was I chugging the Kool-Aid or what?

Yeah I imagine stores like GameStop are getting a ton of copies brought in.

I'm curious if Hello Games will update the game much? They did say if it sold well, they would continue to support the game for a fair amount of time. Plus they mentioned base building and other stuff. It did seem to sell well at release, but with player interest dropping quickly, and likely many trade ins and returns even on PS4, you have to wonder if they will just finish the bug patches and bail.

The game certainly has a decent foundation and has the potential to be much better if they actually take the time to add stuff. Or hell, even put some things in they claimed would actually be in the game at release. Make it closer to the game they heavily promoted for years and charged $60 for.

Hopefully they do try and make it a much better game. They may claim not enough are playing anymore to make it worthwhile and move on.

I don't think they'll find much support for their future projects if they don't try and turn it around. Even if future updates or free DLC are loss leaders it may be worth it to restore their reputation.

Xater

Crazy how many people got caught up in the hype and probably pre-ordered without ever thinking that it could just be bad.

SomTervo

Music to my ears...

I'm glad I waited. If a new copy of the critically acclaimed Doom is already $20 then I hope a used copy of NMS will be under $10 by the time the holidays roll around.

For sure - the game is worth $10 second hand. Definitely worth that, especially wrt Hello not getting that purchase. They've certainly had enough.

I actually paid £60 for the game to be delivered on the Saturday before release (that's probably $100). I don't regret it and I still like the game OK but man - waiting is such a good idea haha.

For sure - the game is worth $10 second hand. Definitely worth that, especially wrt Hello not getting that purchase. They've certainly had enough.

I actually paid £60 for the game to be delivered on the Saturday before release (that's probably $100). I don't regret it and I still like the game OK but man - waiting is such a good idea haha.

Ya live and ya learn. I saved myself this time but I've been burned before too. I bought Ace Combat: Assault Horizon on day one and returned it the same week.

I'd like to think that had I gone day one on NMS and got the $80 one with the art book I could have at least justified the purchase knowing I have a nicely presented on with some good concept art, but now that I consider what happened I think it would be bitter sweet knowing the concept art book is probably filled with even more lies and ideas that went nowhere.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Huh, you're right. Yesterday it still had NMS ahead of Deux ex, with Deux ex not even being in the top 10. Weird.

There is a bug where occasionally the top selling game on the list doesn't appear. That would have been DX:MD

Eh, I remember Xcom 2 dropped sharply as well and that was a great game.

This already has the same first month average as XCom 2, while releasing to a peak playerbase of 100k more.

refreshZ

I've always been intrigued by the concept but the waves of negative press have put me right off purchasing.

What I'd like to know is - is there a build or builds of this game out there (in Hello Games land) with the missing content? Perhaps it was even more unstable than the release version - given time could be released as DLC or patches? Even if there was would it really improve the core game?

OuterLimits

Crazy how many people got caught up in the hype and probably pre-ordered without ever thinking that it could just be bad.

It was pretty easy to get caught in the hype on this one and I won't deny I fell for it.

First off it is a space game which immediately gets people curious. The Sony connection and E3 trailers also increased the hype. Sean was also getting a ton of interviews from big MSM news outlets along with gaming news sites. Hell, he even got on Colbert show. Sean seemed like a likeable guy and did a good job selling his game.(unfortunately with some deception)

Looking back, it does seem obvious that many red flags were there, especially right before release. However, at the time it was easy to ignore those and the hype train was full speed ahead.

Also, I wouldn't say it's bad.(very mediocre) It just feels very unfinished, and not close to what Sean was saying it would be.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
So it's been a month since it's released.

The day of release, 212,321 peak players.

5776 peak players was the highest last weekend.

We had a 97.2% drop in a month since launch.

Just hard to fathom that a full price game has 3% of it's users still playing - especially a game billed as an endless adventure of exploration.

Just hard to fathom that a full price game has 3% of it's users still playing - especially a game billed as an endless adventure of exploration.

That's just Steam numbers, right? Guessing PS4 numbers are much better. Not that I'm happy about that, Sean deserves all the shit flying his way.

border

That's just Steam numbers, right? Guessing PS4 numbers are much better. Not that I'm happy about that, Sean deserves all the shit flying his way.

I don't know why the numbers would really be any better on PS4. There are bigger fish to fry. Madden's out, Destiny is a week away, Overewatch had a free weekend that probably captured a number of new players.

I can't imagine what people would really still be doing in this game after a month, seeing as how almost everyone was tired of it after 5-10 hours.

Top Bottom