• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steep |OT| Shaun White Simulator

SJRB

Gold Member
Can anyone in the know tell me if this has super long races or time trials where you descend an entire mountain (plus). Like, 10, 20, 30 minute long runs.

The beta had a specific time trial that went on for probably 10 minutes, it was a freestyle event where you had a start and a finish and it was up to you to find your way there. It's was really nice.

But technically you can just start at the top of a mountain and decend all the way down to the edge of the map. In fact the game encourages to just "go out there" and not only do the specific tracks and trials. There are no barriers, borders, loading screens or anything, the world is huge and seamless. You can do a trick trial, pass the finishline and just decide to keep going because you're in the flow or you like the scenery or whatever, the game will never pull you back into a menu or force you to quit anything you're doing [except when you reach the map edges, of course].

That said putting a time on a full decent is pretty much impossible.

Freeman76

Was this the game where they have pulled some bad dlc practices with the season pass? I am definitely in on giving this a go but its clearly going to bomb in price rather rapidly and it being a Ubi game Im not concerned with supporting them lol. Definitely looks like a game i can enjoy

Peru

The beta had a specific time trial that went on for probably 10 minutes, it was a freestyle event where you had a start and a finish and it was up to you to find your way there. It's was really nice.

But technically you can just start at the top of a mountain and decend all the way down to the edge of the map. In fact the game encourages to just "go out there" and not only do the specific tracks and trials. There are no barriers, borders, loading screens or anything, the world is huge and seamless. You can do a trick trial, pass the finishline and just decide to keep going because you're in the flow or you like the scenery or whatever, the game will never pull you back into a menu or force you to quit anything you're doing [except when you reach the map edges, of course].

That said putting a time on a full decent is pretty much impossible.

Thanks, just cruisin' down the mountain with some tunes in my headset is basically what I will buy the game for.

This actually looks better than I expected from the first reveal. The price is a little steep (no pun intended) so I'll wait at least until next year.

Tankshell

Thanks, just cruisin' down the mountain with some tunes in my headset is basically what I will buy the game for.

This actually looks better than I expected from the first reveal. The price is a little steep (no pun intended) so I'll wait at least until next year.

In that case you'll love this. Some of my custom routes that zigzag down the mountain are 20 minutes+

Darth.Ali

Neo Member
Really loving it. On a scale from relaxing to adrenaline rush I can get what I want from this game. Minor things aside, one of my top games of the year.

Played more of it and my motivation to play is dying. Not much more to see and do but another indistinguishable course. The decision to stick to realism and open world here was a mistake. Wish it was just a simple menu of courses. This is going on eBay fairly quick.

krpiper

Noob question but is there a public list of custom runs within the game? Or What's the best way to access those runs

Freeman76

Played more of it and my motivation to play is dying. Not much more to see and do but another indistinguishable course. The decision to stick to realism and open world here was a mistake. Wish it was just a simple menu of courses. This is going on eBay fairly quick.

Out of interest what made you buy it? Thats obviously the premise of it from all the previews, did you expect more from it? I want to get this but I do wonder from what I have read whether it lacks any depth.

Kingsora

Would rather have no penis than have to show his to a medical professional
The fact that there are barely any comments in this thread probably means this game is selling quite poorly.

And I don't understand why. If you like skiing or snowboarding, this is really a fun game. Everything is seamless without loading times, the gameplay is fun and the scenery is beautiful. It's a great snow-game.

Yes it's not over the top like SSX, but I think that's a good thing actually.

---
I am considering buying a PS4 Pro tommorow. Are the graphics better on Pro or doesn't the game support the new console?

And I don't understand why. If you like skiing or snowboarding, this is really a fun game. Everything is seamless without loading times, the gameplay is fun and the scenery is beautiful. It's a great snow-game.
For me it's the controls to be honest. They don't click at all. Based on the open beta that is. Jumping was awkward, only switching between sports while standing still is strange (yeah, I know, realism) and no option to actually jump for wingsuiting was the worst thing. As soon as you switch to wingsuit, the next movement is a fall in the snow, if you are only on a steep slope

Diancecht

Thinking about buying this but got a question. Can I opt out of certain sports? I just want to snowboard and skydive, not interested in parachuting and skiing. Do I have to play them in order to advance?

Freeman76

Thinking about buying this but got a question. Can I opt out of certain sports? I just want to snowboard and skydive, not interested in parachuting and skiing. Do I have to play them in order to advance?

Looks like you can pick what you like but moght be best to wait for a review or two?

RodzTF

I really want to play this. Definitely in the mood for something like this.

But I can't justify a £42 purchase (cheapest in the UK) with a possible price drop on the cards.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action

curious about this as well - can i just ski the whole time?

also, is there a character creator / customization aspect?

I cancelled my preorder but I've been thinking about it and wouldn't the game get better as time goes by? People can start anywhere on the mountain and share their runs to which you can race their ghost. Or am I wrong in this?

Diancecht

I really want to play this. Definitely in the mood for something like this.

But I can't justify a £42 purchase (cheapest in the UK) with a possible price drop on the cards.

Cdkeys sells it for 35 quid right now. Or are you talking about console version?

Addi

Me and my flatmate have played this the entire weekend (we also played the beta) and it's so much fun. I had no prior knowledge about the game and just jumped into it, so seeing SSX being mentioned in this thread is weird. This is completely different. It's more like a 1080 + Pilotwings combo. Also, the wing suit doesn't get enough love in this thread, best sport in the game. Ended the day by skiing down the entire Mont Blanc.

You can do what you want. The challenges for Snowboard and Skiing are the same, so you pick the one you prefer. Paragliding has very few challenges and you don't even need to do them. You open up locked challenges by leveling up and you gain exp. points by just free riding too. Paragliding is not very fun, but it can be useful since it's the only sport that can take you up a mountain, reaching rare spots that look cool.

The fact that there are barely any comments in this thread probably means this game is selling quite poorly.

Yes it's not over the top like SSX, but I think that's a good thing actually.

I really wanted to like this, but the controls were just not there in the beta IMO. Something about jumping, landing, doing tricks, and just generally carving down the the courses is off just enough that I couldn't get a good feel for the game. The seamless open mountain, and chill-out vibe do appeal to me, but I found very little joy in interacting with the core mechanics of the game. That thrill from hitting a ramp/pipe/bank and keeping your momentum all the way through a fluid jump/trick is missing.

I might still take a look when it's super cheap because I'm dyingggggg for new snowboarding + skating games, but I'm not in any rush. It does suck for the genre that the game seems to have no excitement behind it though.

DirtyLarry

Was in the beta for this a few weeks back and really liked it after not liking it initially. The simplest comparison I can make is Steep is to Snowboarding to what SKATE was for skateboarding.

With that said I just have too many damn games to play right now, but as soon as it gets a decent enough price drop, I will pick it up. Hell, I may even ask for it for Christmas actually.

Diancecht

Me and my flatmate have played this the entire weekend (we also played the beta) and it's so much fun. I had no prior knowledge about the game and just jumped into it, so seeing SSX being mentioned in this thread is weird. This is completely different. It's more like a 1080 + Pilotwings combo. Also, the wing suit doesn't get enough love in this thread, best sport in the game. Ended the day by skiing down the entire Mont Blanc.

You can do what you want. The challenges for Snowboard and Skiing are the same, so you pick the one you prefer. Paragliding has very few challenges and you don't even need to do them. You open up locked challenges by leveling up and you gain exp. points by just free riding too. Paragliding is not very fun, but it can be useful since it's the only sport that can take you up a mountain, reaching rare spots that look cool.

Got it cheers.

NMFried

Apparently Ubisoft didn't give review copies before release date, so reviews will be out the next days.

That would explain where my review copy (hopefully) is. I loved Shaun White and of course SSX, so I'm definitely looking forward to this.

Played another hour

I don't know how to rate this game. I really enjoy playing it but it's so hard to put a value on what it offers

All I can say is its incredibly relaxing and i find if a blast to play, but it definitely feels like something that will quickly become monotonous to many

Freeman76

Read a review earlier which slated the physics engine, gave it a 5/10. Site called Stevivor, not sure if that is even a reputable site though?

DrWong

Read a review earlier which slated the physics engine, gave it a 5/10. Site called Stevivor, not sure if that is even a reputable site though?
My review after playing with my son an entire day: fun and good physics :]

Wingsuit is is really good too.

Freeman76

My review after playing with my son an entire day: fun and good physics :]

Wingsuit is is really good too.

Haha nice! Was concerned about the Stevivor review because inconsistent physics in a game like this is a dealbreaker for me.

There are front/back flips (you do them with the right stick), and there are different grabs (one hand or the other, or both together, and you can choose where you grab with the right stick). Not sure about off-axis. You can change your stance, yes (pull the sticks in opposite directions).

The game doesn't explain a lot of this (at least the beta didn't), but the tricking system is a bit deeper than it might seem.

Hi, thx for the reply, you got me looking again, there is one vid. explaining the trick system. Yes there are off axis tricks - rodeo. Also there is a tweak option. So it's not so bad at all. Only let down is the lack of grinds, ground tricks (butterfly).

Freeman76

Hi, thx for the reply, you got me looking again, there is one vid. explaining the trick system. Yes there are off axis tricks - rodeo. Also there is a tweak option. So it's not so bad at all. Only let down is the lack of grinds, ground tricks (butterfly).

I guess there wont be much opportunity for grinds anyway, unless they have put board parks in somewhere?

Pit

Stevivor is a good Aussie site that can generally be trusted. While I haven't played this yet, the qualms they had seem grounded. Will have to see how I like it.

Freeman76

Stevivor is a good Aussie site that can generally be trusted. While I haven't played this yet, the qualms they had seem grounded. Will have to see how I like it.

Yeah plenty of steam reviews also mention that the physics are wonky, but then many others suggest its just a matter of learning the ropes. I think I will just wait for a price drop and take the risk when its around the £25 mark.

Found it for 50€... will buy it since many people are saying here and there that it can be seen as a relaxing free ride game.

It seems a little bit expensive and I don't know what to think regarding dlc because.... no news from Ubi.... but I want to give it a chance. There's not enough Snowboarding, Skating games and if it's not as bad as the last Tony Hawk then I can buy it :p

Some info regarding dlc or Ubi support for the game in the upcoming months?

Freeman76

Chû Totoro;226036142 said:
Found it for 50€... will buy it since many people are saying here and there that it can be seen as a relaxing free ride game.

It seems a little bit expensive and I don't know what to think regarding dlc because.... no news from Ubi.... but I want to give it a chance. There's not enough Snowboarding, Skating games and if it's not as bad as the last Tony Hawk then I can buy it :p

Some info regarding dlc or Ubi support for the game in the upcoming months?

Well the season pass looks bad http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1321099&highlight=steep

BUT

I have read they are releasing a new area for free soon, which is cool.

It's a shame that this game controls so poorly and that the snowboarding is so stiff I like the rest of what they've put together, but it's just not that fun

Addi

Just reached Level 25 and I got
unlimited helicopter passes. Won't use it much though, I like reaching difficult places on my own.

There is a sick tricking challenge on the Matterhorn where I was able to pull a nonuple flip (is that the right word? nine flips). The ride down the mountain after landing that challenge is pretty cool too, but I haven't been able to ride all the way down without falling at all yet though.

klier

It's a shame that this game controls so poorly

You just suck, sorry. Nothing hard or wonky with the controls.

There is a sick tricking challenge on the Matterhorn where I was able to pull a nonuple flip (is that the right word? nine flips). The ride down the mountain after landing that challenge is pretty cool too, but I haven't been able to ride all the way down without falling at all yet though.

That's an amazing spot indeed. I just found it yesterday.
Sickest jump in the game so far.

Top Bottom