• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steep |OT| Shaun White Simulator

Tankshell

It's a shame that this game controls so poorly and that the snowboarding is so stiff I like the rest of what they've put together, but it's just not that fun

I thought the controls were pretty good. Snowboarding feels about right, and the Wingsuit controls are perfect.

I really want to play this. Definitely in the mood for something like this.

But I can't justify a £42 purchase (cheapest in the UK) with a possible price drop on the cards.

I'm guessing it'll have steep (ha!) discounts within 4 weeks. No need to rush out and buy this unless you really want to support Ubi.

I'm curious if people who have issues with the controls vs. people who don't have issues with the controls are playing on different systems. I played the Beta on both the PC and the Xbox One. The PC controls seemed to be a lot more forgiving. On the PC the wingsuit seemed to stay airborne without any input at all, but on the Xbox One you had to constantly hold the joystick down. Also, when you crashed on the Xbox One it felt like it was impossible to get your boarder headed down the hill again because the camera kept deciding to change direction just as you pressed the joystick in the correct direction. With mouse controls on the PC it seemed much easier to get started again.

njs15

felt like it was impossible to get your boarder headed down the hill again...

They improved this a lot in the full version. Happened all the time to me (on PS4) in the beta where you would just spin in place but isn't so much a problem now. (Maybe I just grew more comfortable with the game, but it feels like they changed something.)

Freeman76

Or want to see a sequel / other "action sports" games.

I doubt a sequel is on the cards this will probably bomb pretty hard unfortunately. It hasnt been marketed well, hence why so many questions in this thread about who its aimed at etc I guess?

inki

I spent like 10 hours in the beta. I LOVE(d) Skate and Snowboarding games. Yes I wish there was more too it (grinds, more tricks, etc) however with the cost/time played comparison, I know I'll get my money's worth. I did after all just pick it up for $20 (GCU + GC) so it is what it is.

Gold_Loot

---
I am considering buying a PS4 Pro tommorow. Are the graphics better on Pro or doesn't the game support the new console?

Yes it indeed does. You get what looks like either 4k native, or 1800p with checkerboarding @ a solid 30 fps. You can also play at 1080p @ 60 fps. Unfortunately, there's no in game option to change resolutions. So you need to force 1080 via the system settings before starting the game.

And for anyone else thinking of picking this up or your having trouble with tricking control. TURN THE TRICK SAEFTY SETTING OFF! Trust me, the game will feel much more natural, and it's great!

Awesome!! Do you think it has a worthwhile amount of things to do?

Played another hour

I don't know how to rate this game. I really enjoy playing it but it's so hard to put a value on what it offers

All I can say is its incredibly relaxing and i find if a blast to play, but it definitely feels like something that will quickly become monotonous to many

It definitely seems like a make your own sort of fun kind of game a lot of the time. I really enjoyed just boarding in a pretty relaxing way down through the powder. It felt the most like the 3 actual snowboarding runs I've done in my life where I wasn't constantly panicked that I was about to wipe out (maybe that's why everyone gets stoned before they snowboard?).

Like, I kind of don't care about the challenges at all at the moment. I don't know if I'll ever put a wingsuit on again. I will have a lot of fun just skiing or snowboarding around looking through the binoculars for stuff to try to reach, and then trying to reach it. I loved the feeling of boarding without there being a course though. The lizard brain that got rewarded when finding shortcuts in SSX is like constantly working looking for fun alternate ways to go, and that's all the mountain is, so that feels really nice. I am hoping/thinking that the points of interest will lead to some cool discovery moments too.

It definitely seems like a make your own sort of fun kind of game a lot of the time. I really enjoyed just boarding in a pretty relaxing way down through the powder. It felt the most like the 3 actual snowboarding runs I've done in my life where I wasn't constantly panicked that I was about to wipe out (maybe that's why everyone gets stoned before they snowboard?).

Like, I kind of don't care about the challenges at all at the moment. I don't know if I'll ever put a wingsuit on again. I will have a lot of fun just skiing or snowboarding around looking through the binoculars for stuff to try to reach, and then trying to reach it. I loved the feeling of boarding without there being a course though. The lizard brain that got rewarded when finding shortcuts in SSX is like constantly working looking for fun alternate ways to go, and that's all the mountain is, so that feels really nice. I am hoping/thinking that the points of interest will lead to some cool discovery moments too.

Had one of those moments last night. Ended up in a little village and got off my board to just walk around and take a look, admire the scenery

The freedom is incredibly satisfying.

Freeman76

Had one of those moments last night. Ended up in a little village and got off my board to just walk around and take a look, admire the scenery

The freedom is incredibly satisfying.

That sounds cool. I hope you didnt get charged £40 for a Bolognese and a pint like most mountain restaurants haha

AEREC

Yes it indeed does. You get what looks like either 4k native, or 1800p with checkerboarding @ a solid 30 fps. You can also play at 1080p @ 60 fps. Unfortunately, there's no in game option to change resolutions. So you need to force 1080 via the system settings before starting the game.

And for anyone else thinking of picking this up or your having trouble with tricking control. TURN THE TRICK SAEFTY SETTING OFF! Trust me, the game will feel much more natural, and it's great!

I was gonna pass since I heard the framerate is unlocked on pro but if there is a option to lock at 30fps then I may just get this.

Just want to confirm there's an option to lock the framerate at 30fps with a 4K downsmapled image to 1080p?

What does this do? Gonna try it.

PrimeRib_

I was gonna pass since I heard the framerate is unlocked on pro but if there is a option to lock at 30fps then I may just get this.

Just want to confirm there's an option to lock the framerate at 30fps with a 4K downsmapled image to 1080p?

There is not an in-game option for this, no. I believe what the previous poster was suggesting is that by setting the resolution output to your TV in PS4 Pro settings (prior to game bootup) you can force fhese settings.

AEREC

There is not an in-game option for this, no. I believe what the previous poster was suggesting is that by setting the resolution output to your TV in PS4 Pro settings (prior to game bootup) you can force fhese settings.

Ah ok...I think I'll pass then. Any kind variable framerate drives me nuts. How bad and how often are the drops on the Pro when it goes below 60?

Gold_Loot

What does this do? Gonna try it.
It basically takes the game's 'training wheels' off by making it more forgiving as to when you can apply grabs and tweaks. Just ne carefully not to try to over do it when close to the ground.

Right. There's no in game option to lock the game to 30 fps. Unless you are actually running at 4k . I played the game at 1080 60fps mode fore about 30 minutes and didn't notice any heavy drops though.

How do you 'share' replays?

The site promotes it:

Think your exploits are worth sharing? Relive epic moments and challenges, and share replays across social media.

I can watch my replay but can't figure out how to share it to Twitter, for example.

PrimeRib_

Ah ok...I think I'll pass then. Any kind variable framerate drives me nuts. How bad and how often are the drops on the Pro when it goes below 60?

I run it on a Pro and it's rock solid, though I'm not exactly nit picky - as long as framrates hover 30, I don't tend to notice. No major drops or tears.

Honestly this game is pretty great and it's kind of a bummer to see it barely register a second look from some online press. It is definitely more sim than arcade feel but what's truly unique about the game is how the developers nailed the aesthetic. There's a lot of love shown here, in how they capture what it feels like to truly explore a mountain and have fun with creating your own checkpoint races or tactical challenges with friends. I joined a friends's group to accept his downhill race challenge and within a few seconds of starting, there were 2-3 other players that dropped into our group to try the race themselves. The real beauty of this game will come from user-created content with drop-in and drop-out gameplay.

Finally got to play for a bit tonight. Game is great so far, looking forward to exploring the mountain more tomorrow after work!

Freeman76

I run it on a Pro and it's rock solid, though I'm not exactly nit picky - as long as framrates hover 30, I don't tend to notice. No major drops or tears.

Honestly this game is pretty great and it's kind of a bummer to see it barely register a second look from some online press. It is definitely more sim than arcade feel but what's truly unique about the game is how the developers nailed the aesthetic. There's a lot of love shown here, in how they capture what it feels like to truly explore a mountain and have fun with creating your own checkpoint races or tactical challenges with friends. I joined a friends's group to accept his downhill race challenge and within a few seconds of starting, there were 2-3 other players that dropped into our group to try the race themselves. The real beauty of this game will come from user-created content with drop-in and drop-out gameplay.

God damn that does sound good, none of my mates are gamers tho so will i be stuck without much to do?

Several more reviews popping up that all mention dodgy and inconsistent physics, not sure what to believe on that score really

balohna

Curious about something with this game...

Apparently it's rated T for "Language" and the ESRB website only mentions that the word "shit" is in it.

Wouldn't it be in Ubisoft's best interest to just remove that dialogue and go for an E rating? I've heard that with sports games and the like an E rating is ideal, because people buy them for their kids.

Tankshell

Anyone else playing on PC?

Been getting a locked 60 on ultra settings at 1080p but I just updated my NVIDIA drivers (980) and now I get random freezes and hitches. Fucking sucks, it's impossible to do a complete run without one

You had me worried here as I just updated my drivers as well. I just tested Steep again though doing a long Wingsuit ride down the mountain and didn't get any problems though...

Also running ultra at 1080p. Only difference is I have a 1080 card.

You had me worried here as I just updated my drivers as well. I just tested Steep again though doing a long Wingsuit ride down the mountain and didn't get any problems though...

Also running ultra at 1080p. Only difference is I have a 1080 card.

I restarted my system a couple times and now it seems fine.

Sorry for the panic :p

Tankshell

So any people or animals in the game?

Or is it just you on an empty world?

Sadly nothing at all in the form of npcs or any interactive scenery (there are ski lifts but they are just static scenery and don't move). This is one massive area that I think lets the game down a bit. Imagine a ski resort at the base of the mountain where you could hang out with friends, buy gear and customise your character from the shops, then catch a ski lift to the top of the mountain. Could have been awesome. A missed opportunity for sure.

Gold_Loot

So any people or animals in the game?

Or is it just you on an empty world?
Not any you can see, but you can hear some wildlife in the distance.

One nice touch I like is when you launch off a huge jump, the music will dim, the wind will pick up, and sometimes you will hear a wolf howl , or an eagle screech outside the camera.

Did we get any news about the sales?

It was outsold in the UK by the Ezio remaster collection, didn't even crack top 20

https://twitter.com/ZhugeEX/status/805854956515430400

Cy74ZNXWIAA89T0.jpg

So, somewhere below Rocket League

ManeKast

So can you reverse Y axis on the mountain camera controls?

Can do for the sports and air controls but not the map WTF. Driving me mad.

I really enjoy the game but 'always online' is completely unescessary, the season pass isn't really enticing and adds expense to an expensive game. Remove always online to allow us to stuff around offline. Ditch the season pass or at least sell it AFTER people get into it. Drop the price.

Maybe then it will sell. Its a really great game and looks to only get better so no wonder nobody is rushing to get it right now in the peak season.

III-V

I am curious does this game have actual trails from well known mountains? How long is it down from the peak bombing it? Taking your time?

pots555

So beautiful and relaxing. This game is huge. I seem to be the only one, but I love paragliding. You can get anywhere with this and the scenery is really great. I am also impressed by the total absence of loading times. So many viewpoints to discover.

ManeKast

I am curious does this game have actual trails from well known mountains? How long is it down from the peak bombing it? Taking your time?

I've done about a 20-30min run from one of the peaks. They're pretty high.

On PS4 Pro it looks amazing. 60fps. Zero load times, ever. The boarding feels great.....

Best snowboarding for me since 1080 Avalanche.

In fact I'd say its a cross between Pilotwings and 1080.

III-V

On PS4 Pro it looks amazing. 60fps. Zero load times, ever. The boarding feels great.....

The time sounds about right, thanks. Want to pick this up but the backlog is real.

legbone

yeah, that's a good comparison. i got my pro set up tonight (no 4k until friday) and the 60 fps feels great in this game. and everything is so crisp looking. people are only limited in the tricks they can do by the amount of practice and experimentation you put into it. sure grinding isn't in the game per se (i have slid a ways on some stuff, but from what i understand, grinding on a snowboard in real life is pretty hard without a dedicated pipe or some type of rail built for it). anyway, i was pulling indys within 10 minutes of starting the game. and from what i have read (dangerous, i know) you can pull rodeos and all kinds of stuff. the right stick is the key from what i can tell. that and hitting those diagonals just right.

Top Bottom